T-Mobile new plan. No more unlimited data on mobile

Search This thread

ad78

Mar 22, 2011
Connecticut
I just spotted this and I'm not clear when they will deploy

I have 50+20 this is unlimited on mobile and 2.5gb mobile hotspot.

Now the new plan is 50+30 unlimited on mobile and 5gb mobile hotspot.

If you retain your current, your unlimited on mobile will cut to 5gb and they will bump your 2.5 to 5gb.

I'm not sure if we retain the unlimited since this is an old plan... (granfathered) I hate to add $10 more. I really don't care about mobile hotspot on getting doubled... we all know the workaround here..

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
Not exactly. I saw this coming back in December. They are leaving our plan the same and adding an additional $10 fee.

This is quoted directly from their press release:

Now, if you're an existing $70 unlimited customer, you don't get automatically switched to the new plan. You can opt in to pay the extra $10 per month, but only if you want to.

Kidromulous

Feb 1, 2011
Durham N.C.
Not exactly. I saw this coming back in December. They are leaving our plan the same and adding an additional $10 fee.

For those currently on the $70 truly unlimited plan: "Customers currently with unlimited 4G LTE data will continue to get unlimited 4G LTE data with no change in price, or they can opt for the new unlimited 4G LTE option with twice the tethering.

So you're incorrect

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Im virtually always near a wifi spot, so I dont use much data except for pandora driving to and from work. I would use about 750 megs a month, so Im paying for the 2.5gb plan. Now the free 500mb has doubled to 1gb, so win for me!

Reactions: Kidromulous

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
For those currently on the $70 truly unlimited plan: "Customers currently with unlimited 4G LTE data will continue to get unlimited 4G LTE data with no change in price, or they can opt for the new unlimited 4G LTE option with twice the tethering.

So you're incorrect

This is just the first step of many to come. T-Mobile is well aware of the excessive data that's being used and the overall expense of this promotion. Sooo....they want they're money back! Customers on the "NEW" plans will pay for others high data use. Also T-Mobile will find other ways to increase consumer cost as time and tolerance permits. The new plans start March 23, 2014.

Reactions: BrandonHamil

Kidromulous

Feb 1, 2011
Durham N.C.
This is just the first step of many to come. T-Mobile is well aware of the excessive data that's being used and the overall expense of this promotion. Sooo....they want they're money back! Customers on the "NEW" plans will pay for others high data use. Also T-Mobile will find other ways to increase consumer cost as time and tolerance permits. The new plans start March 23, 2014.

Accept they actually increased data allowances and tethering for virtually every one of their customers. Cool story.

Reactions: jdidtht

Limeybastard

I am not sure I understand this, all I notice is for an additional 10 dollar you get more high speed data and the option to text internationally.

I currently have three lines on Simple Choice plan. So my main shared plan is $80

Two lines have unlimited high speed data one of them lines has the 15 dollar stateside talk and text pack

Third line has the basic 500 meg high speed.

I am currently happy with this setup, I do not see the need to pay an extra 10 per month to increase my tethering and double the third line high speed amount.

Pretty confused!

Reactions: jacqueline robert

dmcinnis31

Feb 6, 2012
Oceanside
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Your all wrong. Everyone keeps they're unlimited. Only thing that changed was we added a new plan that has 5gb of Hotspot in addition to the already existing 2.5gb of Hotspot plan. That's all and you get an extra 500mb of data for free if your not on an unlimited plan

chipworkz

Dec 28, 2011
Your all wrong. Everyone keeps they're unlimited. Only thing that changed was we added a new plan that has 5gb of Hotspot in addition to the already existing 2.5gb of Hotspot plan. That's all and you get an extra 500mb of data for free if your not on an unlimited plan

42762_jpg__534%C3%97367_.png

Not sure why people are so confused about this when it is shown pretty clearly. Our existing Unlimited plan will no longer be available. After the start date, you will need to pay $10 more than the current plan if you want Unlimited data. We are grandfather in to the existing plan as long as we don't choose to switch to the new plan.

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
Accept they actually increased data allowances and tethering for virtually every one of their customers. Cool story.

Yes with one big exception, the $70 dollar plan is now just 5GB vs. unlimited.

This quote is from T-Mobile's chief marketing officer:

...."Data usage is going through the roof because customers love their devices and the service they get on them from T-Mobile. Average usage is up 50% in the last year, and on our unlimited plans, it has almost doubled to over 5GB per month. We’re making these changes, giving our customers more than ever before, to stay ahead of the curve. Being the Un-carrier means listening to customers and giving them what they need".

So it seems 5GB is the price point for normal high data users. In essence this will be their set high data plan.

chipworkz

Dec 28, 2011
5GB was my normal monthly usage on Verizon when I never thought about my data speed and or connection. My usage has gone way down since I switched to T-Mobile since a lot of the time I have been out and about, the data speeds have been terribly slow or non existent for any practical use. It is either a fast LTE connection or a really slow 4G connection from what I have experienced. At home I make sure I am on WIFI where on Verizon I never thought about needing to turn on WIFI.

The point of all that was that I was actually thinking about dropping my plans down to the 2.5 GB plans instead of Unlimited since at this point, I really am not using that much data anymore. Now that these new plans are hitting and I am grandfathered in on my current plan, I will probably just keep it in hopes more towers in my general area get upgraded to LTE. The area I am referring to is the greater Los Angeles area.

Regarding T-Mobile raising prices, the only reason I am with T-Mobile is because of the cost savings over Verizon. I had two lines on the grandfathered unlimited plans that I am dropping to switch to T-Mobile strictly because I am saving around $60 a month on my bill. The service in terms of data sucks compared to Verizon but I am dealing with it because of the savings. If T-Mobile starts raising their prices, there will be less of a reason for me to stay with them.

Blacknight29

Jul 21, 2010
Nowhere did I see that unlimited was going to 5gb a month, only that the tethered ain't was going up to 5gb if you pay the extra $10.

motog35

Oct 17, 2010
No where have I read where existing unlimited users are grandfathered in ($20 add in per month)

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Yes with one big exception, the $70 dollar plan is now just 5GB vs. unlimited.

This quote is from T-Mobile's chief marketing officer:

...."Data usage is going through the roof because customers love their devices and the service they get on them from T-Mobile. Average usage is up 50% in the last year, and on our unlimited plans, it has almost doubled to over 5GB per month. We’re making these changes, giving our customers more than ever before, to stay ahead of the curve. Being the Un-carrier means listening to customers and giving them what they need".

So it seems 5GB is the price point for normal high data users. In essence this will be their set high data plan.

WAT? do work for Verizon or something?............This can't be more clear..
"Customers currently with unlimited 4G LTE data will continue to get unlimited 4G LTE data with no change in price, or they can opt for the new unlimited 4G LTE option with twice the tethering."

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
WAT? do work for Verizon or something?............This can't be more clear..
"Customers currently with unlimited 4G LTE data will continue to get unlimited 4G LTE data with no change in price, or they can opt for the new unlimited 4G LTE option with twice the tethering."

Get ahold of yourself and read very carefully, "NEW" plan is being discussed here. I realize existing Unlimited price will not change for those who have it but after March 23, $70 will not buy much. You do realize that not everyone has the existing plain.... don't you?

Last edited:

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Get a whole of yourself and read very carefully, "NEW" plan is being discussed here. I realize existing Unlimited price will not change for those who have it but after March 23, $70 will not buy much. You do realize that not everyone has the existing plain.... don't you?

You need to read more carefully.......oh did you mean get a hold of myself ? Maybe that's your confusion...the English language period !
The 5gb ONLY pertains to tethering.....5gb of tether Not data....data is still UNLIMITED....Even on NEW plans....

Do you remember saying this......"Yes with one big exception, the $70 dollar plan is now just 5GB vs. unlimited"
WRONG WRONG WRONG

Ok, let me clean this up......I see what you meant to say....The "new" $70 plan is no longer the unlimited plan....Now $70 will get a new customer 5gb period not unlimited data (handset).......However current $70 unlimited customers will still pay $70 for unlimited data (handset)and remain at 2.5gb tethering - Unless they opt to pay the $10 difference which will keep data unlimited (handset) but raise the tether limit to 5gb

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts