[CM11] Stable to nightly

Search This thread

Foxnov1990

Dec 9, 2011
Peer
I have just installed my first ROM on my Nexus 4 being CyanogenMod 11 (the stable release).

The thing is, in "about phone" I only have "system updates". While a mate of mine has a lot of nightlies showing up there. For me it just shows a normal system update as it was on a normal unrooted phone.
----

My question is: is there a way to go from this stable release to a nightly release so that I'm able to keep updating to nightlies without erasing everything and configuring all over? (like just flash a nightly and it's fixed)
In other words, can I flash the latest nightly over my stable release and continue there without wiping anything?

Any advice is helpful!

Last edited:

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
I have just installed my first ROM on my Nexus 4 being CyanogenMod 11 (the stable release).

The thing is, in "about phone" I only have "system updates". While a mate of mine has a lot of nightlies showing up there. For me it just shows a normal system update as it was on a normal unrooted phone.
----

My question is: is there a way to go from this stable release to a nightly release so that I'm able to keep updating to nightlies without erasing everything and configuring all over? (like just flash a nightly and it's fixed)
In other words, can I flash the latest nightly over my stable release and continue there without wiping anything?

Any advice is helpful!

Yes, just flash over it. (dirty flashing is what they call it) I would make a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3

Reactions: Foxnov1990

Foxnov1990

Dec 9, 2011
Peer
Yes, just flash over it. (dirty flashing is what they call it) I would make a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Was kinda scared to do it because I read several contradicting statements.
So thank you for pushing me into that direction!

I did it and now not only the nightly is on there but also the option to update to newer nightlies. Thank you!

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Was kinda scared to do it because I read several contradicting statements.
So thank you for pushing me into that direction!

I did it and now not only the nightly is on there but also the option to update to newer nightlies. Thank you!

No problem. Just a side note, it's usually a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the new nightly. Doing a backup also. That new nightly sometime breaks things.

Foxnov1990

Dec 9, 2011
Peer
No problem. Just a side note, it's usually a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the new nightly. Doing a backup also. That new nightly sometime breaks things.

I'll surely keep that in mind for the next time I'm updating to a newer release.
Because ye, thats the risk of sticking to nightlies though. But I've "broken" my nexus so many times that I'm sure I can handle it.

Just for this, after recovering the afternoon I had no intention of doing that again for this :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

----

Any advice is helpful!