Nexus 7 2013 boot loop

Search This thread
Feb 7, 2014
it loops & only goes as far as the google logo.
i cant boot into the full android OS. so i cant enable usb debugging.
I've googled & tried a number of troubleshooting methods (with no luck), but all seem to require that you can enable usb debugging.

I can access fastboot mode after holding in the power button & vol down,
but "recovery mode" as well as every other option doesnt work. i still get the google logo loop

I'd be grateful for any advice.

product name: flo
variant: flo 32G
hw version: rev_e
bootloader version: flo-04.02
signing: yes
secure boot: enabled
lock state: locked

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
it loops & only goes as far as the google logo.
i cant boot into the full android OS. so i cant enable usb debugging.
I've googled & tried a number of troubleshooting methods (with no luck), but all seem to require that you can enable usb debugging.

I can access fastboot mode after holding in the power button & vol down,
but "recovery mode" as well as every other option doesnt work. i still get the google logo loop

I'd be grateful for any advice.

product name: flo
variant: flo 32G
hw version: rev_e
bootloader version: flo-04.02
signing: yes
secure boot: enabled
lock state: locked

Hi, godfather290885...

You're actually on the wrong forum... this is the forum for the Nexus 7 2012.

The forum for your second generation Nexus 7 is here...

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7-2013

----------------------------------

But extrapolating what I know about the first gen. to the second gen. Nexus 7...

Try booting the device into safe mode as follows...

From a cold start, boot (press & release Power button), wait 2 seconds after the black and white Google logo (bootloader) splash screen appears, then press and hold the Vol-Down button until the normal OS boot is fully completed (lock screen or home screen appears).

Safe Mode SHOULD work on your 2013 N7, because it's part of stock Android... and is independent of hardware. The point of Safe Mode is it temporarily disables all user installed apps... it eliminates any rogue apps from causing problems, such as bootloop. With the device successfully booted into Safe Mode, the rogue app can then be easily uninstalled.

------------------------------

I'm not sure why you think you need USB debugging enabled... this is really only useful in fully booted Android. If you're thinking of fastboot flashing a Google factory image, then USB debugging (normally used for ADB) isn't required at all.

Anyway, you're probably best off asking over on the forum appropriate to your second gen. Nexus 7 (2013)... for which, see my link above.

Good luck... and hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
Hi, godfather290885...

You're actually on the wrong forum... this is the forum for the Nexus 7 2012.

The forum for your second generation Nexus 7 is here...

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7-2013

----------------------------------

But extrapolating what I know about the first gen. to the second gen. Nexus 7...

Try booting the device into safe mode as follows...

From a cold start, boot (press & release Power button), wait 2 seconds after the black and white Google logo (bootloader) splash screen appears, then press and hold the Vol-Down button until the normal OS boot is fully completed (lock screen or home screen appears).

Safe Mode SHOULD work on your 2013 N7, because it's part of stock Android... and is independent of hardware. The point of Safe Mode is it temporarily disables all user installed apps... it eliminates any rogue apps from causing problems, such as bootloop. With the device successfully booted into Safe Mode, the rogue app can then be easily uninstalled.

I'm not sure why you think you need USB debugging enabled... this is really only useful in fully booted Android. If you're thinking of fastboot flashing a Google factory image, then USB debugging (normally used for ADB) isn't required at all.

Anyway, you're probably best off asking over on the forum appropriate to your second gen. Nexus 7 (2013)... for which, see my link above.

Good luck... and hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Hi,
thanks for the response! :)
this is the problem i currently get with fastboot:

C:\Users\marco\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\adt-bundle-windows-x86
_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot devices
05860948 fastboot

C:\Users\marco\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\adt-bundle-windows-x86
_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot erase system -w
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'system'...

it seems to just hang when i execute the "fastboot erase system -w" command :(

Feb 7, 2014
Hi,
thanks for the response! :)
this is the problem i currently get with fastboot:

it seems to just hang when i execute the "fastboot erase system -w" command :(

:(
_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot erase system -w
erasing 'system'...
FAILED (command write failed (Invalid argument))
finished. total time: 0.004s

_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools>

Feb 7, 2014
Is the bootloader unlocked?... with...

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

And confirmed at the Nexus 7 end...

Rgrds,
Ged.

img.png

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Question: On the bootloader screen, somewhere on the lower left hand side, it should display the BOOTLOADER LOCK STATE... On my older N7, it says: LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED.

Further, when your N7 boots, do you see a white unlocked padlock symbol, at the bottom of the screen... underneath the Google Logo?

Rgrds,
Ged.

Feb 7, 2014
Question: On the bootloader screen, somewhere on the lower left hand side, it should display the BOOTLOADER LOCK STATE... On my older N7, it says: LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED.

Further, when your N7 boots, do you see a white unlocked padlock symbol, at the bottom of the screen... underneath the Google Logo?

Rgrds,
Ged.

the lock state on the bootloader screen is & has always been:
& nope, there's no white unlocked padlock symbol underneath the google symbol

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013

That means the bootloader is definately locked...which means you can't fastboot flash a factory stock image:(.

As I've alluded to previously, the only way to proceed, is by successfully running the command...

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

...and confirming the request at the Nexus 7 end with the Power Button.

If this command continually fails, then you likely have a hardware problem... probably a bad eMMC chip:(.

The only thing I can suggest, is you try every combination of USB ports/USB cables... every permutation you can think of. Even try another PC, if you have access to one.

But whatever you do, the above fastboot command MUST SUCCEED if you have any hope of fastboot flashing anything.

As you've probably gathered, you'll know if it's worked by looking at the lock state in the bootloader screen, and by the presence of the unlocked padlock symbol upon boot.

I wish I could help you more... but I have to go out in the next 20 minutes... but I'll be back online in around 4 hrs.

Best of luck:).

Rgrds,
Ged.

Feb 7, 2014
That means the bootloader is definately locked...which means you can't fastboot flash a factory stock image:(.

As I've alluded to previously, the only way to proceed, is by successfully running the command...

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

...and confirming the request at the Nexus 7 end with the Power Button.

If this command continually fails, then you likely have a hardware problem... probably a bad eMMC chip:(.

The only thing I can suggest, is you try every combination of USB ports/USB cables... every permutation you can think of. Even try another PC, if you have access to one.

But whatever you do, the above fastboot command MUST SUCCEED if you have any hope of fastboot flashing anything.

As you've probably gathered, you'll know if it's worked by looking at the lock state in the bootloader screen, and by the presence of the unlocked padlock symbol upon boot.

I wish I could help you more... but I have to go out in the next 20 minutes... but I'll be back online in around 4 hrs.

Best of luck:).

Rgrds,
Ged.

thanks for your help so far.
i'll keep trying that command, & i'll try it with a few more usb cables. & i'll try on the 2 other laptops i got here at home.

Aoi v1

Aug 9, 2012

You can use this to unlock your Nexus, I am on the very same situation and it helped me do that

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2389107&page=89

So, after you unlock your device, you'll be stuck where I am: A bootloop with a problem to flash system. That's how I found this topic :p So, does anyone know what to do when I try flashing factory images and get this?

Failed<remote: bogus Chunk size for Chunk type Raw>