Ordered Nexus 5 Red

Search This thread

SynchroDrive

Feb 5, 2014
New York City
Hey guys! So this isn't my first time on XDA, I came here for my old phone, the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit or Exhibit II. I completely broke my phone in December, 2013, and I've been on the lookout for a new phone. After looking at everything, I've decided that the Nexus 5 is the best fit for me. It's damn sexy too, for a smartphone, that is. The best part is, I got the red one that they started to sell on the Play store today.

So anyways, I am here to simply be with a community that will aid me in my adventures with the Nexus 5 (probably until the Nexus 6 comes out or something, though lol). Though I will most likely get my phone later this week or early next week, I am doing research on rooting. I heard about CF-Root and if it works I plan to donate to him (did it work for you guys? did you guys find any issues with installation?).

I'm so happy. How are you guys with your Nexus 5's?

SynchroDrive

Feb 5, 2014
New York City

Thanks! But I'm a bit confused. You know Chainfire's CF-Auto Root for Nexus 5, right. I thought it basically added SuperSU at the price of all of my data. In the process of installing it, don't I already unlock fast boot? So can I simply flash a recovery after using the tool kit from Chainfire by using the instructions from the thread you showed me?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks! But I'm a bit confused. You know Chainfire's CF-Auto Root for Nexus 5, right. I thought it basically added SuperSU at the price of all of my data. In the process of installing it, don't I already unlock fast boot? So can I simply flash a recovery after using the tool kit from Chainfire by using the instructions from the thread you showed me?

I would unlock the bootloader, put on a custom recovery and then root all from the link I gave you. No need to use chainfires auto root. You'll be learning how to use your new nexus 5 the correct way. It's a very easy device to mode if you learn it right. Welcome to the nexus 5

SynchroDrive

Feb 5, 2014
New York City
I would unlock the bootloader, put on a custom recovery and then root all from the link I gave you. No need to use chainfires auto root. You'll be learning how to use your new nexus 5 the correct way. It's a very easy device to mode if you learn it right. Welcome to the nexus 5

That sounds great! Thanks for being such a great help! Just one thing though. Is this part of the process from the link you gave me necessary:
"Driver Installation - Try this first, but if that doesn't work look here. Still having issues? Give this a try. None of these working? Hopefully this does the trick."

If I simply install the android sdk the way the link showed me, will I be fine (I just installed all four packages I was told to install) to continue with unlocking the fastboot, installing a custom recovery and installing SuperSU?

Also, I want to make sure I'm understanding things. Unlocking fastboot is in order to get inside of the device's core software and reimage it to whatever we want, and installing a custom recovery gives the user more accessibility from the recovery menu, and it's main feature is being able to flash updates and ROMs.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Driver installation is necessary, and is for any method you use. It can be a pita and if anything slows you down that'll be it.
Unlocking the bootloader wipes your entire device so you want to do that before you install apps, etc. Again whatever method you use you'll need to unlock. I highly recommend you use this method and not a tool kit.

SynchroDrive

Feb 5, 2014
New York City
Driver installation is necessary, and is for any method you use. It can be a pita and if anything slows you down that'll be it.

Thanks! I'm so excited to root this phone. I haven't had a phone since last year! See what I did there? Since my phone was broken in December 2013 and now it's 2014...

But either way, how is your Nexus? Any tips other than rooting and stuff you can tell me relating to it?

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks! I'm so excited to root this phone. I haven't had a phone since last year! See what I did there? Since my phone was broken in December 2013 and now it's 2014...

But either way, how is your Nexus? Any tips other than rooting and stuff you can tell me relating to it?

It's a great phone and I love it. Very easy to root and mod with custom roms. But do your home work and read a lot here. Look in the general forum at the pinned threads, the ones at the top. Lots of good info there. If you have questions search first for similar threads and if you don't see any post your question. They're lots of good people here who will help if you've done that first.

dia_naji

Aug 29, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Hey guys! So this isn't my first time on XDA, I came here for my old phone, the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit or Exhibit II. I completely broke my phone in December, 2013, and I've been on the lookout for a new phone. After looking at everything, I've decided that the Nexus 5 is the best fit for me. It's damn sexy too, for a smartphone, that is. The best part is, I got the red one that they started to sell on the Play store today.

So anyways, I am here to simply be with a community that will aid me in my adventures with the Nexus 5 (probably until the Nexus 6 comes out or something, though lol). Though I will most likely get my phone later this week or early next week, I am doing research on rooting. I heard about CF-Root and if it works I plan to donate to him (did it work for you guys? did you guys find any issues with installation?).

I'm so happy. How are you guys with your Nexus 5's?

Welcome to the forums :) I think you will love this phone. It's an absolute beast in every category. The development and devs on the nexus 5 are phenomenal

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
Nothin wrong with using chainfires autoroot. Works great.

I've noticed a trend recently in which people using CF's autoroot seem to be running into issues. Either way, rooting the proper way is better. Rooting through a custom recovery installs the SuperSU binaries and the latest version of SuperSU onto the system partition all in one step. Less chances for things to go wrong.

bhillegass

Jun 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I had 14 different phones in 2014 (yes I need rehab) and I have to say the nexus 5 and the htc one are tied for my favorite. The nexus has been so reliable day in and day out and never causes me an issue. No surprises, no random drains, just performance. KitKat is on a whole different playing field, and getting the stock experience is truly something to look forward to. You will not be let down! Enjoy it and I'm so jealous you got the red!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kidrobot52

Oct 12, 2010
NYC
OEM unlock so much easier to unlock on Linux no drivers needed. Just adb and fastboot. Mad jelly you got the red one.

sent from Odin's Beard

Reactions: Vuciz

Top Liked Posts