[GUIDE] Back up DRM Keys & unlock/relock Bootloader (Noob proof)

Search This thread

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
This is a step by step tutorial on how to back up your DRM keys (TA Partition, to revert to factory state in case of warranty issue) and unlock the bootloader. After unlocking the bootloader you will lose your DRM keys so it's good to make a backup of it (it's optional though). Basically no DRM keys means no warranty and unlocked bootloader means no warranty. Read also here for additional info: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598

Make sure to read the 'Questions' (bottom of the post) if you encounter any problems!

Rooting
First of all you need to have root access to backup your DRM keys.

Follow this thread to get root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2784900

Old method:
Follow these steps, after that you will have an unbranded UK KitKat (4.4) firmware with root access (if you rather want JellyBean 4.3, check out 'Questions' down below). Thanks to Darkimmortal for the steps (I added some steps and made it easier to follow).

Take a backup of your phone because it will be wiped!

Video:
Video by @shem2409

1. Contribute to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52011642
  2. Install Z1 Compact USB drivers ( http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/ )
    It's possible that Z1 Compact drivers are already installed, if you have installed Sony PC Companion.
  3. Install Flashtool ( http://www.flashtool.net/index.php )
  4. Install fastboot & flashmode drivers from Flashtool (go to the installation directory and open the folder drivers/) (note: if you have Windows 8.1 64bit you need to disable Driver Signature check: Link)
  5. Download SuperSU and put on your SD card (do not unzip) ( http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu )
    Note: There might be problems with large SD cards (32GB and bigger). You can also put the files on your internal storage: Follow steps 5-7 after step 11.
  6. Download latest Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip and put on your SD card (do not unzip) ( http://nut.xperia-files.com/ )
  7. Download z1c-44-uk.system.flashable.zip and put on your SD card (do not unzip) ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8nLbtP1HtINcENMbjdSdnJteDA/edit?usp=sharing | mega mirror )
  8. Download SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf and put it in the installation directory of flashtool in the folder firmwares/ ( http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf | share-online mirror | mega mirror )
  9. Open flashtool, select Flash => Flashmode and flash SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf (select Wipe [Check ALL] and Exclude [Check TA, BASEBAND, FOTA])
  10. Wait atleast 30 seconds then power off your phone, hold volume down and plug in your USB cable (your phone will boot in flashmode)
  11. After flashtool flashed the firmware successfully, remove the cable and power on the phone (will take some time) and go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings. Enable USB debugging under Developer options and check 'Unknown sources' under Security.
  12. Now flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded_modified.ftf in flashmode (boot phone in flashmode again) (select Exclude [Uncheck ALL] and Wipe should be empty) ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8nLbtP1HtINbkdUX0hwQk9BN3M/edit?usp=sharing | mediafire mirror | share-online mirror )
  13. Start your phone normally and plug in your USB cable (screen will be black, this is normal and it will stay like that until you finish step 16)
  14. Download and extract Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip. Then run install.bat and select option 3 [Installation on unrooted ROM] ( http://nut.xperia-files.com/ )
    Note: This is actually a different file as the one you downloaded on step 6. You're supposed to run this one here on your computer.
  15. After the process is finished and you get a confirmation that your device is rooted, hold Volume Up and hold the power button. After the phone vibrated 3 times it will shut down. (This is force power off)
  16. Flash D5503_14.3.A.0.681_Generic_UK-nosystem.ftf in flashmode (boot phone in flashmode again) (select Wipe [Uncheck ALL] and Exclude [Uncheck ALL]) ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/g1mahcm5y8cax2q/D5503_14.3.A.0.681_Generic_UK-nosystem.ftf | mega mirror )
  17. Go to the Recovery Menu. To do that, power off your phone. Then power it on again. After the vibrate and the green LED turns on, hold Volume Up (LED will turn violet). PhilZ Touch recovery will open.
  18. Try to flash SuperSU zip. If it doesn't work, switch to TWRP recovery (Volume Down) and try there.
  19. Now format /system (located under Mounts & Storage) (Important: Do NOT reboot until advised so or you will have to start again)
  20. Do a factory reset in the Recovery Menu
  21. Install the following files in this order (Important) (see steps 5 - 7)
    1. z1c-44-uk.system.flashable.zip
    2. Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip
    3. UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip
  22. Optional: Update to the latest firmware with this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933
  23. Reboot your phone
  24. Congratulations, your phone is now rooted (bootloader still locked)
DRM keys Backup
Now since your phone is rooted you can proceed with backing up your DRM keys (TA partition). Follow these steps:
  1. Enable USB debugging on your phone (go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings. Enable USB debugging under Developer options and check 'Unknown sources' under Security.)
  2. Download Backup TA and start Backup-TA.bat ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598 )
  3. Select Option 1 (Backup) to backup your TA partition
  4. After the process succeded your backup will be in the folder backup/ (Make a backup of the backup!)
  5. Congratulations, you have now a backup of your DRM keys. You can also use Backup TA to restore your TA partition. It is recommend to have the same firmware when restoring as you had when you backed it up (see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52745293&postcount=299 )

Unlocking bootloader
Now if you have a backup of your DRM keys you are ready to unlock the bootloader. You need to have an unlocked bootloader to install Custom Roms, test builds, etc.

Make a backup because your SD card will be formatted!

Follow this guide to unlock the bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2440597
Yes, it also works for Z1 Compact, all the steps are the same. You can skip installing the drivers since you should already have them from the steps above.

Relock bootloader only
If you want to relock your bootloader (e.g. for downloading official sony updates in Sony Update Service) you can do so with flashtool. This only works if you already unlocked the bootloader with the official method.
Note: This does not restore the DRM keys. If you have a warranty issue you should restore your TA parition (which will relock your bootloader and restore DRM keys) with Backup TA.
  1. Open flashtool
  2. Click on the BLU icon
  3. Connect your phone in flashmode (hold volume down and plug in your USB cable)
  4. Flashtool will ask you about the device model, choose Sony XPERIA Z1 (if Z1 compact is not in the list)
  5. Flashtool will read your IMEI and your unlock code. Check if those are correct (compare unlock code with the one you received by email from Sony when you unlocked the bootloader)
  6. Flashtool will save the unlock code in its program folder under custom/mydevices.
  7. Click "Lock bootloader" (-> If you want to unlock it again, repeat the steps (it will automatically detect that your bootloader is locked))

Questions
  • How do I power off my phone if the screen is blank or the phone is not responding? (Force power off)
    • Hold Volume Up and then hold the power button. After the phone vibrated 3 times it will shut down.
  • My Antivirus detects flashtool as malware?
    • That's a false positive. flashtool is not malware.
  • How can I verify if my bootloader is locked/unlocked?
    • Type in phone *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service Info => Configuration. If bootloader is unlocked it will say: "Bootloader unlocked: Yes". If it says something else like "Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes", it means the bootloader is locked.
  • I am currently on firmware x, can I still follow this guide?
    • Yes, it does not matter which firmware you come from.
  • How to remove recovery and root?
    • Simply flash an official firmware ftf in flashtool. Wipe userdata is not required, but recommend.

Questions from old guide:

Many thanks to:
  • Darkimmortal
  • RyokoN
  • [NUT]
  • DooMLoRD
  • All the great devs that made these tools
  • raph84

Last edited:

scorpio16v

Oct 3, 2006
www.youtube.com
A short question, because for people like me, that never had a Sony device before, it's confusing.

If i unlock the boot-loader, the DRM keys are lost and some Sony integrated programs don't work anymore. That's clear.
But is it possible after bl unlock to restore the keys and have the boot loader unlocked ? Or will it relock immediately ?

Another another unclarified thing is the flash back and forth thing for rooting. This is done in the tuts with country/regions specific firmwares.
How do I know, what's the right fw for my device, if I want to restore to stock ? And where can I dl stock fw for my country/region ?

Reactions: the_prodigal_coder

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
A short question, because for people like me, that never had a Sony device before, it's confusing.

If i unlock the boot-loader, the DRM keys are lost and some Sony integrated programs don't work anymore. That's clear.
But is it possible after bl unlock to restore the keys and have the boot loader unlocked ? Or will it relock immediately ?

Another another unclarified thing is the flash back and forth thing for rooting. This is done in the tuts with country/regions specific firmwares.
How do I know, what's the right fw for my device, if I want to restore to stock ? And where can I dl stock fw for my country/region ?

It's also my first sony phone and when doing this procedure yesterday I was very confused so I thought I'll make an easy guide:eek:
I don't know if it's possible to restore the keys after unlocking, I don't think so though. Afaik if you restore the TA partition (including the keys) it will also lock your bootloader again. The reason to back up the keys is that in case you have a problem and need to send your phone for repair (warranty) you can reset your phone back to factory state (Locked bootloader).

Yes the flashing procedure is confusing but it is required because the root exploit only works on that firmware. There is no problem in using the UK firmware. I don't know where to download stock firmwares though.

By the way can you elaborate what exactly is confusing? So I can try to make the guide better!

Last edited:
Reactions: arvter
It's also my first sony phone and when doing this procedure yesterday I was very confused so I thought I'll make an easy guide:eek:
I don't know if it's possible to restore the keys after unlocking, I don't think so though. Afaik if you restore the TA partition (including the keys) it will also lock your bootloader again. The reason to back up the keys is that in case you have a problem and need to send your phone for repair (warranty) you can reset your phone back to factory state (Locked bootloader).

Yes the flashing procedure is confusing but it is required because the root exploit only works on that firmware. There is no problem in using the UK firmware. I don't know where to download stock firmwares though.

By the way can you elaborate what exactly is confusing? So I can try to make the guide better!

there are a few other stock firmwares in z1c general section, it is not possible to restore drm keys after unlocking if not done before

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Okej,loaded then, just rename the zips to ftf i guess?

No. The ftf files are for flashing with flashtool, while the zip are for flashing in the recovery. You don't have to rename anything (otherwise it would be stated in the guide).

Edit: If the files get saved as zip files by your browser you should rename them to ftf. Check if the hashes are correct.

Last edited:

raph84

Feb 24, 2007
Hi zxz0O0,

Thanks for writing this up, even though it's essentially a rewrite of Darkimmortals tutorial.

Please be aware that this is not quite "Noob proof" yet!

As someone who hasn't flashed an Android phone since 2011, I ran into a few issues / concerns:

a) "Install fastboot & flashmode drivers from Flashtool"
Depending on the operating System (for me: Windows 8.1 x64), Driver Signature check needs to be disabled in order to do that.

b) Zips to SD-Card: It's worth pointing out that "put it on your SD Card" literarilly means "Copy the ZIP to the root of your SD Card". I wasn't sure (should I unzip it? What to do with it?)

c) It would make sense to add the flashing instructions before the "flash..." statement.
I was smart enough to read the full instructions, yet I can imagine some people to read "flash C6903 (...)"... okay. Click flash, continue reading: "select Wipe [Uncheck ALL]" oh no!

d) "Run Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip's install.bat"
In order to do that, you need adb-tools (the bat would just throw "File not found" errors), possibly also extract the content of the ZIP to the ADB-Tools directory (that's what I did).

e) "Now format /system"
Afraid to do the wrong thing, I read this six times and checked Darkimmortals instructions "Factory reset and clear for rom installation" [this appeared a bit more clear]
The actual steps are called
1: "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"
2: "Clean to Install a New ROM"

Note that I stopped after "Congratulations, your phone is now rooted (bootloader still locked)"
I just wanted Root for some tools and am quite happy with the factory Rom (want to keep my DRM Keys and Warranty).

Thanks!
raph

xhizors

Apr 28, 2009
JÄRNA
www.snigelfart.se
No. The tft files are for flashing with flashtool, while the zip are for flashing in the recovery. You don't have to rename anything (otherwise it would be stated in the guide).

Hey.

I fixed it, but still have problem, after step 11. when i should start the phone, its all black, i cant se anything on screen.

I guess it should be black, next problem.

When installing the lockeddualrecovery it copies the files, and then step 2 back to promt. ?

error.PNG

Last edited:

XQC

Jul 24, 2010
I managed to root my Z1C with that guide, though I had to try the install.bat for the recovery multiple times (not your fault, of course) and it was irritating that the screen stays black during the flashing steps. At first I thought that I messed something up.

I ran into another problem and it's woth mentioning: The recovery refused to boot my 64GB microSD formatted with exFAT. It works flawlessly in Android, but recovery didn't like it. I had one 8GB FAT-formatted lying around and with that there was no problem.

I don't know if 64GB or exFAT was the problem, but it's worth mentioning in the guide, I guess.

Reactions: peze2415

xhizors

Apr 28, 2009
JÄRNA
www.snigelfart.se
I managed to root my Z1C with that guide, though I had to try the install.bat for the recovery multiple times (not your fault, of course) and it was irritating that the screen stays black during the flashing steps. At first I thought that I messed something up.

I ran into another problem and it's woth mentioning: The recovery refused to boot my 64GB microSD formatted with exFAT. It works flawlessly in Android, but recovery didn't like it. I had one 8GB FAT-formatted lying around and with that there was no problem.

I don't know if 64GB or exFAT was the problem, but it's worth mentioning in the guide, I guess.

i tried like 10 times and got the picture i added in my last post ?

i used this ( Z1C-lockeddualrecovery2.7.85-BETA.installer.zip )

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
[..]

Depending on the operating System (for me: Windows 8.1 x64), Driver Signature check needs to be disabled in order to do that.

b) Zips to SD-Card: It's worth pointing out that "put it on your SD Card" literarilly means "Copy the ZIP to the root of your SD Card". I wasn't sure (should I unzip it? What to do with it?)

c) It would make sense to add the flashing instructions before the "flash..." statement.
I was smart enough to read the full instructions, yet I can imagine some people to read "flash C6903 (...)"... okay. Click flash, continue reading: "select Wipe [Uncheck ALL]" oh no!

In order to do that, you need adb-tools (the bat would just throw "File not found" errors), possibly also extract the content of the ZIP to the ADB-Tools directory (that's what I did).

e) "Now format /system"
Afraid to do the wrong thing, I read this six times and checked Darkimmortals instructions "Factory reset and clear for rom installation" [this appeared a bit more clear]

[...]
Thanks for your suggestions. :) You are right, the rooting process is almost the same as Darkimmortals (same method). I added some steps though and tried to make it more clear.
a) Thanks for that. I'll add it to the first post.
b) Added, thanks.
c) Don't really agree with that, it should be common sense to read one whole step.
d) Actually you don't have to install anything. The needed files are inside the folder files/
e) The steps in the recovery menu are called Mounts & Storage -> format /system and Wipe Data/Factory Reset -> Wipe Data/Factory Reset

Hey.

I fixed it, but still have problem, after step 11. when i should start the phone, its all black, i cant se anything on screen.

I guess it should be black, next problem.

When installing the lockeddualrecovery it copies the files, and then step 2 back to promt. ?
It's not installing root correctly. Which OS are you using? Try starting again from step 1 and follow each step exactly.

Last edited:

xhizors

Apr 28, 2009
JÄRNA
www.snigelfart.se
Thanks for your suggestions. :) You are right, the rooting process is almost the same as Darkimmortals. I added some steps though and tried to make it more clear.
b) Added, thanks.
c) Don't really agree with that, it should be common sense to read one whole step.
d) Actually you don't have to install anything. The needed files are inside the folder files/
e) The steps in the recovery menu are called Mounts & Storage -> format /system and Wipe Data/Factory Reset -> Wipe Data/Factory Reset

It's not installing correctly. Which OS are you using? Try starting again from step 1 and follow each step exactly.

I manage to fix it, i open the install.bat and made everything manual, and no its rooted :).
I think its because i have swedish windows 7, maybe. :)

moesus

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for your suggestions. :) You are right, the rooting process is almost the same as Darkimmortals (same method). I added some steps though and tried to make it more clear.
b) Added, thanks.

It's not installing root correctly. Which OS are you using? Try starting again from step 1 and follow each step exactly.

I couldn't get root with the Z1C-lockeddualrecovery2.7.85-BETA and after like 200 times, I found the issue!!! :D
When opening the install.bat (right click --> edit) go to this line "if "!menu_decision!" != "3" ("

Then change the != "3" to == "3" (replace the ! with a =

That's what did it for me! :good: (after hours of trying :silly:)

Reactions: xhizors

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
What was the exact error that you didn't get root? It shouldn't be necessary to change anything (I used 2.7.84-BETA though).

moesus

Nov 4, 2009
What was the exact error that you didn't get root? It shouldn't be necessary to change anything (I used 2.7.84-BETA though).

Something like "! - was unexpected at this time". I just couldn't make sense of it as I'm not familiar with commands. But when I opened install.bat from the 2.7.81 and compared it to 2.7.85, that's when I found the little error :D

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
i cannot enter in recovery mode....can you explain when and what i have to press

Check step 16. You should start the phone normally (press power button). Then the phone will vibrate slightly. After that the LED will turn green. If the LED is green you should hold Volume UP button. The LED will turn violet and you will enter the recovery menu.

If the phone does not vibrate at start, check if the phone is even off (force phone off: Hold Volume Up and then hold the power button. After the phone vibrated 3 times it will shut down, if nothing happens the phone is already off). If the phone vibrates but no green light and you get a boot loop you did something wrong and should start again from step 1.

Reactions: blackjackalmiaobo

slonn

Nov 6, 2010
How can I install the drivers? I've downloaded the zipped file but not sure what to do with it. I've extracted the files but where should they be placed? When placing them in the Drivers folder in the Flashtool I still get the "No drivers installed" error when putting the phone in flashmode. Never had this issue on my Z1 so not sure how to go about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a step by step tutorial on how to back up your DRM keys (TA Partition, to revert to factory state in case of warranty issue) and unlock the bootloader. After unlocking the bootloader you will lose your DRM keys so it's good to make a backup of it (it's optional though). Basically no DRM keys means no warranty and unlocked bootloader means no warranty. Read also here for additional info: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598

Make sure to read the 'Questions' (bottom of the post) if you encounter any problems!

Rooting
    First of all you need to have root access to backup your DRM keys.

Follow this thread to get root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2784900

Old method:
    Follow these steps, after that you will have an unbranded UK KitKat (4.4) firmware with root access (if you rather want JellyBean 4.3, check out 'Questions' down below). Thanks to Darkimmortal for the steps (I added some steps and made it easier to follow).

Take a backup of your phone because it will be wiped!

Video:
    Video by @shem2409

1. Contribute to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52011642
    2. Install Z1 Compact USB drivers ( http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/ )
      It's possible that Z1 Compact drivers are already installed, if you have installed Sony PC Companion.
    3. Install Flashtool ( http://www.flashtool.net/index.php )
    4. Install fastboot & flashmode drivers from Flashtool (go to the installation directory and open the folder drivers/) (note: if you have Windows 8.1 64bit you need to disable Driver Signature check: Link)
    5. Download SuperSU and put on your SD card (do not unzip) ( http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu )
      Note: There might be problems with large SD cards (32GB and bigger). You can also put the files on your internal storage: Follow steps 5-7 after step 11.
    6. Download latest Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip and put on your SD card (do not unzip) ( http://nut.xperia-files.com/ )
    7. Download z1c-44-uk.system.flashable.zip and put on your SD card (do not unzip) ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8nLbtP1HtINcENMbjdSdnJteDA/edit?usp=sharing | mega mirror )
    8. Download SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf and put it in the installation directory of flashtool in the folder firmwares/ ( http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf | share-online mirror | mega mirror )
    9. Open flashtool, select Flash => Flashmode and flash SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf (select Wipe [Check ALL] and Exclude [Check TA, BASEBAND, FOTA])
    10. Wait atleast 30 seconds then power off your phone, hold volume down and plug in your USB cable (your phone will boot in flashmode)
    11. After flashtool flashed the firmware successfully, remove the cable and power on the phone (will take some time) and go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings. Enable USB debugging under Developer options and check 'Unknown sources' under Security.
    12. Now flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded_modified.ftf in flashmode (boot phone in flashmode again) (select Exclude [Uncheck ALL] and Wipe should be empty) ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8nLbtP1HtINbkdUX0hwQk9BN3M/edit?usp=sharing | mediafire mirror | share-online mirror )
    13. Start your phone normally and plug in your USB cable (screen will be black, this is normal and it will stay like that until you finish step 16)
    14. Download and extract Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip. Then run install.bat and select option 3 [Installation on unrooted ROM] ( http://nut.xperia-files.com/ )
      Note: This is actually a different file as the one you downloaded on step 6. You're supposed to run this one here on your computer.
    15. After the process is finished and you get a confirmation that your device is rooted, hold Volume Up and hold the power button. After the phone vibrated 3 times it will shut down. (This is force power off)
    16. Flash D5503_14.3.A.0.681_Generic_UK-nosystem.ftf in flashmode (boot phone in flashmode again) (select Wipe [Uncheck ALL] and Exclude [Uncheck ALL]) ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/g1mahcm5y8cax2q/D5503_14.3.A.0.681_Generic_UK-nosystem.ftf | mega mirror )
    17. Go to the Recovery Menu. To do that, power off your phone. Then power it on again. After the vibrate and the green LED turns on, hold Volume Up (LED will turn violet). PhilZ Touch recovery will open.
    18. Try to flash SuperSU zip. If it doesn't work, switch to TWRP recovery (Volume Down) and try there.
    19. Now format /system (located under Mounts & Storage) (Important: Do NOT reboot until advised so or you will have to start again)
    20. Do a factory reset in the Recovery Menu
    21. Install the following files in this order (Important) (see steps 5 - 7)
      1. z1c-44-uk.system.flashable.zip
      2. Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip
      3. UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip
    22. Optional: Update to the latest firmware with this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933
    23. Reboot your phone
    24. Congratulations, your phone is now rooted (bootloader still locked)
    DRM keys Backup
    Now since your phone is rooted you can proceed with backing up your DRM keys (TA partition). Follow these steps:
    1. Enable USB debugging on your phone (go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings. Enable USB debugging under Developer options and check 'Unknown sources' under Security.)
    2. Download Backup TA and start Backup-TA.bat ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598 )
    3. Select Option 1 (Backup) to backup your TA partition
    4. After the process succeded your backup will be in the folder backup/ (Make a backup of the backup!)
    5. Congratulations, you have now a backup of your DRM keys. You can also use Backup TA to restore your TA partition. It is recommend to have the same firmware when restoring as you had when you backed it up (see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52745293&postcount=299 )

Unlocking bootloader
    Now if you have a backup of your DRM keys you are ready to unlock the bootloader. You need to have an unlocked bootloader to install Custom Roms, test builds, etc.

Make a backup because your SD card will be formatted!

Follow this guide to unlock the bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2440597
    Yes, it also works for Z1 Compact, all the steps are the same. You can skip installing the drivers since you should already have them from the steps above.

Relock bootloader only
    If you want to relock your bootloader (e.g. for downloading official sony updates in Sony Update Service) you can do so with flashtool. This only works if you already unlocked the bootloader with the official method.
    Note: This does not restore the DRM keys. If you have a warranty issue you should restore your TA parition (which will relock your bootloader and restore DRM keys) with Backup TA.
    1. Open flashtool
    2. Click on the BLU icon
    3. Connect your phone in flashmode (hold volume down and plug in your USB cable)
    4. Flashtool will ask you about the device model, choose Sony XPERIA Z1 (if Z1 compact is not in the list)
    5. Flashtool will read your IMEI and your unlock code. Check if those are correct (compare unlock code with the one you received by email from Sony when you unlocked the bootloader)
    6. Flashtool will save the unlock code in its program folder under custom/mydevices.
    7. Click "Lock bootloader" (-> If you want to unlock it again, repeat the steps (it will automatically detect that your bootloader is locked))

Questions
    • How do I power off my phone if the screen is blank or the phone is not responding? (Force power off)
      • Hold Volume Up and then hold the power button. After the phone vibrated 3 times it will shut down.
    • My Antivirus detects flashtool as malware?
      • That's a false positive. flashtool is not malware.
    • How can I verify if my bootloader is locked/unlocked?
      • Type in phone *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service Info => Configuration. If bootloader is unlocked it will say: "Bootloader unlocked: Yes". If it says something else like "Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes", it means the bootloader is locked.
    • I am currently on firmware x, can I still follow this guide?
      • Yes, it does not matter which firmware you come from.
    • How to remove recovery and root?
      • Simply flash an official firmware ftf in flashtool. Wipe userdata is not required, but recommend.

Questions from old guide:

Many thanks to:
    • Darkimmortal
    • RyokoN
    • [NUT]
    • DooMLoRD
    • All the great devs that made these tools
    • raph84
    Hi guys, thanks first up for ALL the help i've been getting in the Q&A section... like santaCruz guy above, I almost am ready to chuck this phone.

Last week I followed this root procedure and it worked. After playing with ROMs today and wanting to restart/reset, I followed the same procedures from Step 1 ... but noticed THEY HAVE BEEN UPDATED RECENTLY WITH NEW FILES REQUIRED.

I can confirm that (same as santaCruz above) that this procedure does NOT work using the D5503_14.3.A.0.757_Generic_UK-nosystem.ftf file.

I downloaded the old "681" file and flash ... it gets me to PhilZ boot recovery ... i.e. I now get to step 17 and continue my journey.

Can someone please look into this!
    Hi guys! Maybe this little note would be a good caution to some...

Caution:

Restoring a TA Backup from JB on a KitKat ROM breaks X-Reality engine temporarily on your phone. A fix for this is to

1. Reflash the whole KitKat FTF(exclude system & check reset customizations)
    2. Factory reset your phone.

Without doing the steps above you won't be able to play Music/Video Unlimited & X-Reality on your phone even if you already restored your DRM keys and have a locked bootloader.
    Hi zxz0O0,

Thanks for writing this up, even though it's essentially a rewrite of Darkimmortals tutorial.

Please be aware that this is not quite "Noob proof" yet!

As someone who hasn't flashed an Android phone since 2011, I ran into a few issues / concerns:

e) "Now format /system"

Note that I stopped after "Congratulations, your phone is now rooted (bootloader still locked)"
    I just wanted Root for some tools and am quite happy with the factory Rom (want to keep my DRM Keys and Warranty).

Thanks!
    raph
    Go to Backup TA folder, open folder backup/ and extract your TA backup. Open TA.img in hex editor (or text editor probably also works) and search for "NEW_VERSION" (first occurence), shortly after that there should be "fs_version:" (e.g. mine is fs_version:EURO-LTE_14.2.A.1.114 => so I would use 14.2.A.1.114 to restore my TA backup)