[Q] Any downside to rooting other than warranty/knox?

Search This thread

paleozord

Sep 22, 2007
I am considering rooting my Canadian (Rogers) Note 3 (SM-N900W8) in order to defeat the ludicrous SD-Card crippling brought by the latest Kitkat 4.4.2 software update. I'm aware that by doing so the Knox 0x1 counter will void the warranty. What I'd like to know is whether there are any additional negative results besides this well-known one.

For example I've seen inconsistent reports of the Screen Mirroring function being disabled as soon as the device is rooted. Some claim it is more related to the presence of a custom kernel, recovery or ROM, while others insist that merely rooting with everything stock was enough to disable screen mirroring.

If I do nothing more than use CF-Autoroot as described here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2466423

...no custom recovery, kernel or ROM, do I risk any undesirable repercussions other than the warranty and Knox issue? Will screen mirroring or any other functions work worse than they did before?

Thanks for any help...

hey_joe

Oct 28, 2010
Rooting won't break any functionality of the phone except the security it was meant for i.e the secure container ( and of course, depending on who you ask, warranty ). Problems you mentioned are probably related to custom roms themselves.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: paleozord

paleozord

Sep 22, 2007
Rooting won't break any functionality of the phone except the security it was meant for i.e the secure container ( and of course, depending on who you ask, warranty ). Problems you mentioned are probably related to custom roms themselves.

Thanks for your reply... and will it also not interfere with any potential future over-the-air updates that might come along, be it a 4.4.3 update or a more trivial software patch to fix an issue that gets released? I realize that a major enough OTA update might un-root the phone which is fine.. I just wouldn't want to brick or lose access to updates because of root. Would they continue to be accessible, or would I likely have to first un-root manually to enable them?

Thanks again...

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Yes you can not OTA update on the rooted phone.

You can unroot and apply the OTA update.
Or use the fake system status option in the Wanam.

paleozord

Sep 22, 2007
Yes you can not OTA update on the rooted phone.
You can unroot and apply the OTA update.
Or use the fake system status option in the Wanam.

Thanks... if memory serves (been a while for me since last rooted device) all that is necessary to unroot is to run the administrative option from within the Superuser app itself, to remove the SU binary completely.. correct? And then to re-root just repeat the previous CF-Autoroot steps and regain SU?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thanks for your reply... and will it also not interfere with any potential future over-the-air updates that might come along, be it a 4.4.3 update or a more trivial software patch to fix an issue that gets released? I realize that a major enough OTA update might un-root the phone which is fine.. I just wouldn't want to brick or lose access to updates because of root. Would they continue to be accessible, or would I likely have to first un-root manually to enable them?

Thanks again...

You don`t need OTA`s mate, just download the new updated rom from Sammobile and flash it with Mobile Odin Pro and you`ll even keep root ;)

Last edited:

paleozord

Sep 22, 2007
You don`t need OTA`s mate, just download the new updated rom from Sammobile and flash it with Mobile Odin Pro and you`ll even keep root ;)

So all ROM and software updates are always made available directly from Samsung as flashable downloads, on the same day they're released to devices over-the-air? As a general rule?

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
So all ROM and software updates are always made available directly from Samsung as flashable downloads, on the same day they're released to devices over-the-air? As a general rule?

Or you can open the app Phone INFO ★Samsung★, select menu 'Firmware Browser...' to see a list of available stock firmwares for your phone.

Tap to view firmware's details, there is also a download link. You can download it and then flash by Kies or Odin.

(screenshots are attached)

Attachments

• 2014-04-28-16-01-22.jpg
    2014-04-28-16-01-22.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2014-04-28-16-02-34.jpg
    2014-04-28-16-02-34.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 30

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app