Changing the APN Settings for tethering in ICS.

Search This thread

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum
I used the same trick as before to get free tethering. (T-Mobile)

1) Go to settings
2) Go to Mobile Network (tap on the name, not the switch)
3) Go to Access Point Names
4) Add a new APN using epc.tmobile.com
5) Name it anything you want
6) Free wifi tethering!

I'm posting this using my free wifi tether :D

will this work with an amaze on straight talk? i have the t-moble htc amaze but use straight talk, everythng else works but when try to tether it connects but i cannot access any webpages on my laptop

silverboi17

May 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yup I tried it. Fyi, I updated my phone to tmo ICS thru OTA. Maybe they locked it so we can't delete it? Because on my list, it shows a lock.

However I was able to add the new APN and got tether to work, but can't delete the original settings.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Please post all question based threads in the Q&A section. Thank you.

Thread Moved.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"if you choose not to not to decide, you still have made a choice" ~N.P. Rush

Courtesy of my Galaxy Note (i717) using XDA Premiero!

oryan_dunn

Dec 23, 2010
It seems a bit unclear, but must you delete the old for this to work? I'm on stock GB, added the new APN, selected it, but still was redirected to the upsell page on my tablet.

hookedonnook

Nov 2, 2011
Columbia
ICS OTA

Yup I tried it. Fyi, I updated my phone to tmo ICS thru OTA. Maybe they locked it so we can't delete it? Because on my list, it shows a lock.

However I was able to add the new APN and got tether to work, but can't delete the original settings.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA

I have an Amaze otw and am assuming it will update. When I create the new APN will the phone default to the locked APN, or does the new one override it?

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
It seems a bit unclear, but must you delete the old for this to work? I'm on stock GB, added the new APN, selected it, but still was redirected to the upsell page on my tablet.

You can delete the Stock one or open it and don't "APN Type" and delete "default" it will disable it. From then you should he good to go.

-------------------------------------
Check out my hairless guinea pig :D

Kuime

Feb 27, 2009
Boston

1) Go to settings
6) Free wifi tethering!

it works like a charm.:D

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum
I'm using my amaze on straight talk. Everything works perfect mobile data everything works fine. But when I try to tether my tablet or laptop they connect but internet does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my rk2818sdk using xda premium

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum
Reactions: skyracer53

medmansri

Jul 2, 2006

1) Go to settings
6) Free wifi tethering!

Thank you! Works great, and don't need a third party app!

droidux

Dec 11, 2011
Has anyone received the upsell text message? I finally got one a couple weeks ago. I have a 2GB plan and usually only use about 700MB and usually from wifi tethering my laptop at work. Kind of annoyed they are bugging me for using less than half my data.

I had this fix but seems they still caught on. Anyone else have this happen? I'm on ICS now so will try again. What happens if they finally turn off your data? Do you say sorry and they turn it back on?

I read that using wifi tethering is more susceptible to being noticed and it's better to use something like pda2net. Can anyone confirm?

AndroidAutobot

Apr 5, 2009
Portland OR
Has anyone received the upsell text message? I finally got one a couple weeks ago. I have a 2GB plan and usually only use about 700MB and usually from wifi tethering my laptop at work. Kind of annoyed they are bugging me for using less than half my data.

I had this fix but seems they still caught on. Anyone else have this happen? I'm on ICS now so will try again. What happens if they finally turn off your data? Do you say sorry and they turn it back on?

I read that using wifi tethering is more susceptible to being noticed and it's better to use something like pda2net. Can anyone confirm?

There's no risk =). Worst that ever happens is they manually block you from tethering and you get the upsell screen on your laptop. But that won't happen unless you use your tethering excessively and I've never seen them manually pull the plug on an amaze strangely.

Your tethering usage definitely counts against your data limit. Any data your phone uses goes against your data limit. If you hit the threshhold your data speeds are merely throttled down to 2g speeds. Unless you're foolish enough to have the 200mb option in which case you'll be billed $1.99/megabite past the 200th =)

Sent from my Turellular Amaze 4g using xda premium

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
APN fixed works fine on HTC but not Samsung - strange.

There's an app that should be froze or deleted to allow it to work. My wife won't let me touch her Sammy so I can't remember which app its is. You might need to head over to the Samsung threads and ask. If I can find out where I read it I'll let you know. But don't hold your breath.

will5394

Mar 18, 2013
Doesn't work on Htc one s!!! Tether help T-mobile!!!

How do I delete the default apn when the stock is (T-Mobile Data) is locked. I want to delete it by I can't. Even when I delete the apn via Data/Data/Databases/..etc. to the telephony.db it will crash when I try to go to the settings in adding another apn.

Is there a telephony.db anybody has for this setting with the proxy and settings?

I've been looking all around so that I can tether on my phone without being redirected to the t-mobile page lol.

Please help! I want to be able to use netflix and tether to my laptop.

-Will

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) Go to settings
    6) Free wifi tethering!

worked perfectly for me too! thanks a lot

No prollem. Don't be shy... Hit that thanks button =)

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
    Creating a new apn isn't necessary at all. All you have to do is delete everything in the "apn type" field of the default t mobile data apn. Actually posted about this in a different thread on April 27th. For anyone's convenience -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPaIpdSuCe0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

1) Go to settings
    6) Free wifi tethering!

Just did this and it went straight to MSN homepage without going to the up-sell page. Thanks.
    Do we want to use the same settings as well, or do you just need to make it point to epc.tmobile.com and that is it?

Just go into settings.

1. Tap on mobile networks.
    2. Tap on Access Point Names.
    3. Tap the Capacitive Menu Button and Tap "New APN".
    4. Tap Name.
    5. Type in whatever name you want.. (I used Hotspot Data) and Tap "OK".
    6. Tap APN.
    7. Type epc.tmobile.com and then Tap "OK".
    8. Tap Capacitive menu Button and hit "Save".
    9. Tap the original APN (Tmobile Data).
    10. Tap the Capacitive menu button and Hit "Delete APN".

Enjoy your free tethering.