[GUIDE][WIFI ONLY] How to Root the Xoom from Stock 3.1

Search This thread

publicanimal

Apr 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
[size=+1]THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE THIS METHOD TO ROOT UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING 3.1.[/size]

I recommend using this root method courtesy of solarnz: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242241

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

Follow these instructions after unlocking your Xoom to acquire root access on your Xoom. Comes in handy if you just installed the OTA and lost root.

[size=+1]DOWNLOAD:[/size]
WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]
  • Pushes Superuser, su, and other root files. Sets correct permissions to enable functioning root
  • Enables external SD card storage (in /sdcard/external)
  • Prevents system from over-writing custom recovery
  • Enables USB On-The-Go

[size=+1]ASSUMPTIONS[/size]
  • You've unlocked your Xoom (this will wipe your data)
  • You've downloaded the WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip
  • You've downloaded a recent ClockworkMod recovery image to your PC: ClockworkMod Recovery (make sure to download the .img, not the .zip)
  • You've installed a physical SDCard in your Xoom (required for ClockworkMod Recovery updates) and have it functioning properly
  • You've configured the Android SDK on your PC, with adb functioning properly
  • You've downloaded fastboot and have it functioning properly (usually alongside adb in platform-tools)

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]

Read through this once before you do it. After performing step 2 you will have to do step 3 immediately or you will have to repeat step 2.

1. Prepare your SD Card
Using an SD Card reader (or Android phone?), move the XOOM_RootTool_3.1.zip file from your PC to the root of your SD Card. Once that is done, install the SD Card into your Xoom. Alternately you can mount the SD Card through the Xoom in recovery after you boot into recovery in step 3 by selecting 'mounts and storage > mount USB storage'. It's always nice to have options.

2. Flash ClockworkMod recovery.img
Connect the usb cable from your PC to your Xoom. Make sure USB Debugging is activated in the Application settings menu.
  • Connect the usb cable from your PC to your Xoom.
  • Open up your command prompt naviagate to the folder with adb, then (change 'XXXXXX-XXXX' in code to match filename):
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img
    fastboot reboot

3. "Catch the boot" to boot into recovery
This requires some quick reflexes. As soon as you send the 'fastboot reboot' command in the previous step, your device will reboot. You have to boot into recovery right away or your Xoom will reflash the stock recovery over the custom recovery you just installed. Here's how to "catch the boot" and reboot into recovery.
  • When you see the Motorola logo appear, wait approximately 3 seconds.
  • Tap the Volume Down button. You should see the words "Android Recovery" appear at the top of the screen. Now tap the Volume Up button to boot into recovery.
  • If when attempting to "catch the boot" it says 'Starting Fastboot protocol support' then you hit Volume Down too soon. Hold Vol UP + Power to reboot and try again.

4. Flash WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip
In ClockworkMod Recovery, select "install zip from sdcard"
Select "choose zip from sdcard"
Select "WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip"
Select "Yes - Install WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip"
After install select "Reboot System Now"

5. Enjoy root!

Last edited:

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Im not an Android noob. Ill give this a shot.

Sent from Desire HD or Inspire 4G or whatever this thing is called via premium XDA app.

Reactions: wyllem

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
I have to ask. Has this been tested :)

Sent from Desire HD or Inspire 4G or whatever this thing is called via premium XDA app.

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Hmm, I'm certain I have the right drivers installed because I successfully unlocked the bootloader last night but now I'm stuck at the "starting fastboot protocal support" screen. Any ideas?

publicanimal

Apr 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hmm, I'm certain I have the right drivers installed because I successfully unlocked the bootloader last night but now I'm stuck at the "starting fastboot protocal support" screen. Any ideas?

This is the screen where you enter your ADB Commands. You should be able to flash the ClockworkMod recovery from that screen. If you have trouble just reboot (Vol UP + Power button)

Make sure you enter "catch the boot" to enter recovery after entering the "fastboot reboot" command.

Last edited:

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
This is the screen where you enter your ADB Commands. You should be able to flash the ClockworkMod recovery from that screen. If you have trouble just reboot (Vol UP + Power button)

I got it to reboot in that in doesn't appear to recognize adb commands. Nothing was listed under adb devices for me. Can't be a driver issue because I unlocked the bootloader just fine and usb debugging is enabled.

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
I just tried adb with the unit powered on and it worked just fine. In the loading fastboot screen, no dice.

publicanimal

Apr 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
I got it to reboot in that in doesn't appear to recognize adb commands. Nothing was listed under adb devices for me. Can't be a driver issue because I unlocked the bootloader just fine and usb debugging is enabled.

That's weird, because you had to have entered ADB commands from the exact same screen when you unlocked your Xoom last night.

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Ok, I'm business. Flash just completed, recovery installed. Do I now wipe data/factory reset before rebooting?

emh870621345

Sep 20, 2010
I just did everything in the post exactly and now i am stuck in a bootloop on the honey comb screen plz help. Using 3g Xoom

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+1]THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE THIS METHOD TO ROOT UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING 3.1.[/size]

I recommend using this root method courtesy of solarnz: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242241

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

Follow these instructions after unlocking your Xoom to acquire root access on your Xoom. Comes in handy if you just installed the OTA and lost root.

[size=+1]DOWNLOAD:[/size]
    WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]
    • Pushes Superuser, su, and other root files. Sets correct permissions to enable functioning root
    • Enables external SD card storage (in /sdcard/external)
    • Prevents system from over-writing custom recovery
    • Enables USB On-The-Go

[size=+1]ASSUMPTIONS[/size]
    • You've unlocked your Xoom (this will wipe your data)
    • You've downloaded the WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip
    • You've downloaded a recent ClockworkMod recovery image to your PC: ClockworkMod Recovery (make sure to download the .img, not the .zip)
    • You've installed a physical SDCard in your Xoom (required for ClockworkMod Recovery updates) and have it functioning properly
    • You've configured the Android SDK on your PC, with adb functioning properly
    • You've downloaded fastboot and have it functioning properly (usually alongside adb in platform-tools)

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]

Read through this once before you do it. After performing step 2 you will have to do step 3 immediately or you will have to repeat step 2.

1. Prepare your SD Card
    Using an SD Card reader (or Android phone?), move the XOOM_RootTool_3.1.zip file from your PC to the root of your SD Card. Once that is done, install the SD Card into your Xoom. Alternately you can mount the SD Card through the Xoom in recovery after you boot into recovery in step 3 by selecting 'mounts and storage > mount USB storage'. It's always nice to have options.

2. Flash ClockworkMod recovery.img
    Connect the usb cable from your PC to your Xoom. Make sure USB Debugging is activated in the Application settings menu.
    • Connect the usb cable from your PC to your Xoom.
    • Open up your command prompt naviagate to the folder with adb, then (change 'XXXXXX-XXXX' in code to match filename):
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img
      fastboot reboot

3. "Catch the boot" to boot into recovery
    This requires some quick reflexes. As soon as you send the 'fastboot reboot' command in the previous step, your device will reboot. You have to boot into recovery right away or your Xoom will reflash the stock recovery over the custom recovery you just installed. Here's how to "catch the boot" and reboot into recovery.
    • When you see the Motorola logo appear, wait approximately 3 seconds.
    • Tap the Volume Down button. You should see the words "Android Recovery" appear at the top of the screen. Now tap the Volume Up button to boot into recovery.
    • If when attempting to "catch the boot" it says 'Starting Fastboot protocol support' then you hit Volume Down too soon. Hold Vol UP + Power to reboot and try again.

4. Flash WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip
    In ClockworkMod Recovery, select "install zip from sdcard"
    Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    Select "WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip"
    Select "Yes - Install WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip"
    After install select "Reboot System Now"

5. Enjoy root!

I just added the fact that you have to unlock first! I'll be adding those instructions to the OP right now.

I tested in on my WiFi Xoom and it works perfectly.