[GUIDE] Google Voice on your Verizon GS3

Search This thread

Tru7h

Aug 11, 2010
So, you want visual voicemail without having to pay the $2.99/month for it?
The answer is already here, it's called Google Voice.

I'm going to show you how to set up Google Voice and visual voicemail on your Verizon Galaxy S 3.

Step 1: Get a Google Voice number. It's free and all you need to do is go to voice.google.com
Follow the steps shown on Google Voice. Yes, you need to authenticate with an existing phone number
before they give you a Google Voice phone number.

Step 2: Once you have your GV number, I recommend removing any voicemails on your Verizon voicemail mailbox.

Step 3: On Google Voice on your computer click on the gear icon and open settings. Uncheck the boxes for forwarding,
Click on Groups & Circles.
Click on the edit button for all contacts and uncheck the boxes labeled Ring my: Mobile (or landline) and Google Talk.
Click on the edit button for anonymous callers and uncheck those boxes too. The reason for this is to make sure callers
are sent straight to voicemail if you don't pick up.
Check attachments for what to uncheck.

Step 4: Download and install Google Voice from the play store. :/ can't link it.

Step 5: I like to use the default dialer and my own cell minutes for outgoing calls, but if you want to use your GV number
for outgoing calls you can select that.
Check attachments for options.

Step 6: Now you are going to change your voicemail to Google Voice in the dialer app. Open the dialer, hit the menu button and tap settings,
tap voicemail, tap Service and choose Google Voice. You will see a warning, ignore it for now because we'll take care of
that in the next step.

Step 7: Now you are going to dial some phone numbers to set up the forward on no answer system. Where you see [GV number]
Insert the phone number Google gave you. When you dial these numbers Verizon will automatically hang up on you... jerks.
Numbers to dial:
*71[GV Number]
*90[GV Number]
*92[GV Number]

Step 8: You should now have Google Voice set up so that whenever anybody calls you and it would normally go to Verizon's voicemail
service they will now automatically be forwarded to Google Voice and leave a voicemail there. Go and test it with another
phone.

Steps to remove Google Voice. If for whatever reason you want to remove Google Voice and use Verizon's voicemail just follow these steps.

Step 1: You have already disabled forwarding in Google Voice. This feature sends callers from your GV number to any forwarding phones you set.

Step 2: Open the android dialer, hit the menu button, scroll down to Voicemail, tap it, tap services, and choose your carrier/verizon depending on your rom.

Step 3: Dial *73. Doing this removes the call forwarding settings we did earlier. Dial *86 to make sure you can connect to your voicemail.

If I helped you, consider dropping a few bit cents in my can: 1oWLWPfJYSzvAKSRjxs3JHaKrTjGkySSY

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-09-12-41-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-09-12-41-24.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 11,848

kidhudi

Feb 1, 2011
Jackson
so question.. does this mean you will never receive a direct phone call and just have a bunch of voice messages?

Tru7h

Aug 11, 2010
so question.. does this mean you will never receive a direct phone call and just have a bunch of voice messages?
Nope, when you dial the 3 numbers in step 7 you change the default action on no answer. By default Verizon sends a no answer phone call to the Verizon voicemail service and when you dial the 3 numbers you change that action to instead forward to GV's voicemail service.

Reactions: kidhudi

ftkatyowser

Mar 19, 2013
ifaxter Schools

I've used googe voice for over a year and love it. You can have transcripts of your voicemails forwarded to your e-mail (though they aren't always accurate). I have found that if someone gets to your vzw mailbox somehow, you have to deactivate GV to get to your vzw mailbox.

Not really sure what the point of a guide is, though... if I remember right, google voice walks you through and sets everything up for you, so there isn't a need for the steps to not forward an answer system and all that jazz. I think i only had to call one number to have it all set up.

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
Google voice is awesome. I have been using it for a few years now. I never have to listen to a voicemail again.
I love how Google transcribes the message for me. Its not always 100% accurate but I get the gist of it.
Sent from my SGS3

leucrota

Apr 2, 2013
Trying this out now, OP. I hope it works since I have had Google Voice for a while, but just got a Verizon phone and it wouldn't let me link the accounts before. :(

Edit: This definitely works!

Last edited:

golfinglenn

Dec 31, 2010
One thing I really like about it and have been using it for years, in setup it will ask you if you want to use your mobile number, or your gv number, or you can set it to ask you each time. I have it ask, as that prevents accidental dialing. I have it send the transcribed messages to my sms, but they are seldom accurate, but accurate enough that I get the idea of what the call is like lol. It's 2013 google, transcription should be darn near 100%.......jmo.

Glenn

mikec86

Dec 15, 2010
When this fowards to your google voice does it use your minutes?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Tru7h

Aug 11, 2010

I'm not exactly sure about minutes usage. I haven't been able to find any solid information about it, but voicemails are generally 1-5 mins. I do know that it uses data when you listen to the voicemails because the GV app downloads the voice mails and transcripts from GV servers. With the low quality of voice phone calls I wouldn't worry abut using too much data.

My actual phone usage isn't that much, and I'm on a family plan with a shared 700 minutes, I use much more data (grandfathered into unlimited 4G) and text messages (unlimited).

dunderball

Jul 7, 2012
You might also want to enable 'do not disturb' in google voice. That way your calls will be forwarded to your voicemails much much faster.

Tru7h

Aug 11, 2010
You might also want to enable 'do not disturb' in google voice. That way your calls will be forwarded to your voicemails much much faster.

When you do step 3 you disable all forwarding and just set GV to send everyone to voicemail. Might want to change this if you want to use GV for more than visual voice mail... but that's all I wanted out of it.

Any calls on Google voice use your minutes (both incoming and outgoing). Unless you use a SIP client. So I take issue with the original post saying you can change to not using your minutes, because you can't. I've been using Google voice for several years. I hope they add it yo Babel ASAP... Would love to finally be able to get pictures via GV.

pwrmedia

Aug 5, 2009
Columbus
Any calls on Google voice use your minutes (both incoming and outgoing). Unless you use a SIP client. So I take issue with the original post saying you can change to not using your minutes, because you can't. I've been using Google voice for several years. I hope they add it yo Babel ASAP... Would love to finally be able to get pictures via GV.

Slightly incorrect. Incoming/Outgoing calls using your GV # can be made over WiFi only using GrooveIP, so depending on your environment, there's always the possibility you may not use any of your minutes.

Additionally, the functionality to receive MMS through GV has been available for over a year now, as the MMS goes to the Gmail account your GV # is associated with.

Tru7h

Aug 11, 2010

While that is true if you don't set it up following my directions but if you do follow them you won't use GV for calls, only for voicemail. It will use the default android dialer to place and receive calls. If you don't pick up, it is automatically forwarded and as far as I know call forwarding is included with verizon plans.

oilfighter

Nov 17, 2005
One thing I really like about it and have been using it for years, in setup it will ask you if you want to use your mobile number, or your gv number, or you can set it to ask you each time. I have it ask, as that prevents accidental dialing. I have it send the transcribed messages to my sms, but they are seldom accurate, but accurate enough that I get the idea of what the call is like lol. It's 2013 google, transcription should be darn near 100%.......jmo.

Glenn

To be fair, in ideal conditions, speech recognition is pretty good. Try the google voice typing, it's pretty impressive, but that's only under ideal situations, ie, quiet room, speaking clearly into the mic.

Now to transcribe a voicemail, which probably has lots of background noise, slurred together words, add in some umms and ahhhs, i'm actually pretty impressed at what comes out of transcription, since a lot of the times even I couldn't understand what the other person said on the voicemail.

pepperdax

Oct 9, 2012
Google Voice

To be fair, in ideal conditions, speech recognition is pretty good. Try the google voice typing, it's pretty impressive, but that's only under ideal situations, ie, quiet room, speaking clearly into the mic.

Now to transcribe a voicemail, which probably has lots of background noise, slurred together words, add in some umms and ahhhs, i'm actually pretty impressed at what comes out of transcription, since a lot of the times even I couldn't understand what the other person said on the voicemail.

Please know that you can always play the actual voice mail recording if the transcription was bad. I have been using google voice since it was in beta testing and the transcripts have always been poor.:confused:

Synergized SIII

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, you want visual voicemail without having to pay the $2.99/month for it?
    The answer is already here, it's called Google Voice.

I'm going to show you how to set up Google Voice and visual voicemail on your Verizon Galaxy S 3.

Step 1: Get a Google Voice number. It's free and all you need to do is go to voice.google.com
    Follow the steps shown on Google Voice. Yes, you need to authenticate with an existing phone number
    before they give you a Google Voice phone number.

Step 2: Once you have your GV number, I recommend removing any voicemails on your Verizon voicemail mailbox.

Step 3: On Google Voice on your computer click on the gear icon and open settings. Uncheck the boxes for forwarding,
    Click on Groups & Circles.
    Click on the edit button for all contacts and uncheck the boxes labeled Ring my: Mobile (or landline) and Google Talk.
    Click on the edit button for anonymous callers and uncheck those boxes too. The reason for this is to make sure callers
    are sent straight to voicemail if you don't pick up.
    Check attachments for what to uncheck.

Step 4: Download and install Google Voice from the play store. :/ can't link it.

Step 5: I like to use the default dialer and my own cell minutes for outgoing calls, but if you want to use your GV number
    for outgoing calls you can select that.
    Check attachments for options.

Step 6: Now you are going to change your voicemail to Google Voice in the dialer app. Open the dialer, hit the menu button and tap settings,
    tap voicemail, tap Service and choose Google Voice. You will see a warning, ignore it for now because we'll take care of
    that in the next step.

Step 7: Now you are going to dial some phone numbers to set up the forward on no answer system. Where you see [GV number]
    Insert the phone number Google gave you. When you dial these numbers Verizon will automatically hang up on you... jerks.
    Numbers to dial:
    *71[GV Number]
    *90[GV Number]
    *92[GV Number]

Step 8: You should now have Google Voice set up so that whenever anybody calls you and it would normally go to Verizon's voicemail
    service they will now automatically be forwarded to Google Voice and leave a voicemail there. Go and test it with another
    phone.

Steps to remove Google Voice. If for whatever reason you want to remove Google Voice and use Verizon's voicemail just follow these steps.

Step 1: You have already disabled forwarding in Google Voice. This feature sends callers from your GV number to any forwarding phones you set.

Step 2: Open the android dialer, hit the menu button, scroll down to Voicemail, tap it, tap services, and choose your carrier/verizon depending on your rom.

Step 3: Dial *73. Doing this removes the call forwarding settings we did earlier. Dial *86 to make sure you can connect to your voicemail.

If I helped you, consider dropping a few bit cents in my can: 1oWLWPfJYSzvAKSRjxs3JHaKrTjGkySSY
    Not when it's done right

Actually, if someone leaves a message for you via their voice mailbox (I believe it's option 2 in vzw's answering service) it goes to your vzw box.

Someone should post a guide on how to revert back to Verizon voicemail in case a call somehow bypasses Google Voice and goes to the default voicemail. I have heard that this can happen.

You just go to voice(dot)google(dot) com, settings, "deactivate voicemail". Then you can call your verizon box, delete the message, and click "activate voicmail". Done!
    Nope, when you dial the 3 numbers in step 7 you change the default action on no answer. By default Verizon sends a no answer phone call to the Verizon voicemail service and when you dial the 3 numbers you change that action to instead forward to GV's voicemail service.

Yes, unfortunately. The only way to get around using minutes on is to use a 3rd party dialer for GV like GrooveIP or Talkatone.
    Not to rain on your guide or anything, but I'm a little confused. I use Google Voice for my voice mail, and what I did was download the Google Voice app from the Play store, then set it up through the app. When it came time to configure my settings, I received a notice that I would have to manually configure and I proceeded with your step 7:

Now you are going to dial some phone numbers to set up the forward on no answer system. Where you see [GV number]
    Numbers to dial:
    *71[GV Number]
    *90[GV Number]
    *92[GV Number]

After this I was done. Am I missing anything by only doing Step 7?

I'm assuming you're receiving VM the way you want? If people are able to call either your "real" # or you GV # & you're getting them and texts / visual VM to your satisfaction, you're golden. No more to do.

That step is a bit confusing but if you're getting what you want, when you want, how you want, then there's nothing more to do.