Install any OTA (incl *4.2.2*) with stock recovery - don't wait for Google!

Search This thread

Akiller2

Jun 25, 2011
Murcia
error

error: device not found...

why do I get this error? I mean adb works fine for me when the device is on. I come to recover through
Code:
adb reboot recovery

when i select update from adb and write the command it just doesn't recognize it...

btw I have unlocked boot and I am root

thanks in advance.

EDIT: It was a problem whit the drivers, some drivers where missing no adb or fastboot drivers, i guess something related with usb drivers

Last edited:

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I'm bumping this for the upcoming 4.2.2 OTA.

OP, you should update this for 4.2.2

EDIT: You can also rename the .zip to make it easier to type the command. i.e. update.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrotenax

gilc8

Dec 12, 2007
Hi,

I'm on 4.2.1 (bootloader is open and rooted) - If I'm running this procedure the root will remain? the phone will be erased? what are the consequences?

10x

IAIRonI

Mar 13, 2009
So I'm trying to dl ota and it says it can dl via Wi-Fi. Anyone know of a way to make it dl using mobile data

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Quick instructions if you are stock, unrooted without CWM. You MUST have unlocked your bootloader and have ADB (Android SDK installed) already for this to work.

You must be on 4.2.1 (JOP40D) to upgrade to 4.2.2 (JDQ39) using this method.

1. Download this to your computer -> http://android.clients.google.com/p...4.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip

2. Turn off your phone

3. Hold down Volume - and Power to get into Fastboot

4. Scroll down to Recovery and enter.

5. On the No Command Android screen hold Power and Volume + to get to menu. Might take a few attempts to get timing right

6. On the menu select Update from ADB

7. Connect your phone to computer with USB

8. On computer type "adb sideload de8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip"

9. You should then see this output: "sending: 'sideload' 100%"

10. Your phone screen will say System Update or something and it will install the OTA.

Once done just select reboot in recovery and you're done. You can use this method for ALL future OTAs - all you need is the update zip. This works on all Nexus including Nexus 7, assuming Nexus 10 and GNexus.

No longer need to wait for OTAs. Enjoy!

UPDATED FOR 4.2.2

can i use same way on Nexus 7?

A

alanccs

Anybody have issues with VPN & Security setting when pressed show "unfortunately has stopped" after update?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Done.

I think step 5 can be more clearly worded like this:

5. When you see a red triangle on the android robot, press and hold power button AND quickly press Volume+.

The trick is to release the volume button 1st!

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
Thanks to the OP , 4.2.2 up and running on a rooted stock droid.

Legend !

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

'droid' is a brand name adopted by Verizon for their high-profile flagship line of phones.

'android' is the official name to the linux distro Google develops for mobile devices, and the devices that run the firmware.

The two can be differentiated because if it's a droid you can rest assured it's a pile of sh!t.

d3mondroid

Feb 6, 2013
Gotham City
stchiere steps

Will This Update Work on any Android device running android 4.0.4 (ICS) with stock recovery ?????:confused::confused::confused:
Please reply as i m lookin for an upgrade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick instructions if you are stock, unrooted without CWM. You MUST have unlocked your bootloader and have ADB (Android SDK installed) already for this to work.

You must be on 4.2.1 (JOP40D) to upgrade to 4.2.2 (JDQ39) using this method.

1. Download this to your computer -> http://android.clients.google.com/p...4.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip

2. Turn off your phone

3. Hold down Volume - and Power to get into Fastboot

4. Scroll down to Recovery and enter.

5. On the No Command Android screen hold Power and Volume + to get to menu. Might take a few attempts to get timing right

6. On the menu select Update from ADB

7. Connect your phone to computer with USB

8. On computer type "adb sideload de8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip"

9. You should then see this output: "sending: 'sideload' 100%"

10. Your phone screen will say System Update or something and it will install the OTA.

Once done just select reboot in recovery and you're done. You can use this method for ALL future OTAs - all you need is the update zip. This works on all Nexus including Nexus 7, assuming Nexus 10 and GNexus.

No longer need to wait for OTAs. Enjoy!

UPDATED FOR 4.2.2
    Done.

I think step 5 can be more clearly worded like this:

5. When you see a red triangle on the android robot, press and hold power button AND quickly press Volume+.
    Thanks for that idea. No, i haven't updated it ever. I never thought of it either. I'm omw to work, so I'll try that later. I see others in the USA posting they received ota already. Im wondering if its not available to me yet because i bought mine through Tmobile? Would this cause a small delay, do u think?

I haven't got mine either in UK.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Edit. Yup, out of date adb was at fault. Worked
    Are you saying you can downgrade this way too?

Are you saying you can downgrade this way too?

Doubt it but you're welcome to try. All this does is flash the update.zip using stock recovery. I'm assuming if the zip you flash wipes system and installs an older version it might work but you couldn't just flash an OTA for an old version, that wouldn't work. If you're downgrading, best to flash CWM recovery and use that.