[Q] Player 4.0: /data not mounted (or missing) issue

Search This thread

map1122

Dec 18, 2013
Wisconsin
So I am stuck in a bootloop and no obvious way out.
US Galaxy Player 4.0
Rooted and been on custom roms for a year now. Problem started after upgraded to latest CM. Tried going back to stock but no luck in resolution. I am able to get into recovery and download mode and flash with odin. I can run adb shell. Just won't boot. The error message I get is as follows:

"E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2"

In my adb shell I can see that there is no "mmcblk0..." files at all.
I have tried to go through the full stock recovery and used the PIT files and the stock rom through odin. I get the same boot loop and cant get the data to wipe due to the same error. I can flash anything through Odin easily without fail but everything is stuck in boot loop. I just don't seem to have /data to wipe.
There are some other posts around which indicate the Partition may be screwed but I am not sure what it is supposed to look like or the command line syntax to use to correct.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1468213&highlight=wipe+data+shell

I have several nandroid backups on an external location but now I can't get the external card to recognize in CWM so haven't been able to try to revert backwards that way. I have backup of efs and all other stuff just can't seem to get to it.

Anybody with Ideas or direct help are greatly appreciated

M

Meticulus

So I am stuck in a bootloop and no obvious way out.
US Galaxy Player 4.0
Rooted and been on custom roms for a year now. Problem started after upgraded to latest CM. Tried going back to stock but no luck in resolution. I am able to get into recovery and download mode and flash with odin. I can run adb shell. Just won't boot. The error message I get is as follows:

"E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2"

In my adb shell I can see that there is no "mmcblk0..." files at all.
I have tried to go through the full stock recovery and used the PIT files and the stock rom through odin. I get the same boot loop and cant get the data to wipe due to the same error. I can flash anything through Odin easily without fail but everything is stuck in boot loop. I just don't seem to have /data to wipe.
There are some other posts around which indicate the Partition may be screwed but I am not sure what it is supposed to look like or the command line syntax to use to correct.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1468213&highlight=wipe+data+shell

I have several nandroid backups on an external location but now I can't get the external card to recognize in CWM so haven't been able to try to revert backwards that way. I have backup of efs and all other stuff just can't seem to get to it.

Anybody with Ideas or direct help are greatly appreciated

This is how we fix that with the Player 5 : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2398120&page=4 (read the whole thread from page 4 on)

You'll need to do pretty much the same thing but you need an image from the Player 4.:good:

map1122

Dec 18, 2013
Wisconsin
recrtora above

Thank you Meticulus. I see that you were involved in the thread I referenced too and this is where I figured I needed to go. However this is where I get tripped up. The main issue being that I don't have an image from a 4.0 US player. The thread I linked to had the Intl Player shown... There were even a few requests for the US version later on in the thread.

So- Anyone want to share their US player working partition table?

Is this information contained in the .PIT files somehow?
anyway to retrieve this?

M

Meticulus

Thank you Meticulus. I see that you were involved in the thread I referenced too and this is where I figured I needed to go. However this is where I get tripped up. The main issue being that I don't have an image from a 4.0 US player. The thread I linked to had the Intl Player shown... There were even a few requests for the US version later on in the thread.

So- Anyone want to share their US player working partition table?

Is this information contained in the .PIT files somehow?
anyway to retrieve this?

As far as I know that's the only way to do it is with the picture.... Be patient, I'm sure someone will post an image...
@zaclimon ???

Needed: out put of fdisk on mmcblk0
Code:
adb root
adb shell
fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Then post a screenshot, or just the output.:highfive:

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
As far as I know that's the only way to do it is with the picture.... Be patient, I'm sure someone will post an image...

@zaclimon ???

Code:
adb root
adb shell

Here it is, do note that it's a intl device though too.

Attachments

• output.png
    output.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: map1122
M

Meticulus

We only have mmc blocks for the actual storage of the device. The system partition and others are pure raw nand (which is why we use mtd and yaffs2)

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk 4

So then, will recreating these partitions solve the OP problem?

map1122

Dec 18, 2013
Wisconsin
So any confidence in the international vs the US version being the same?

Now the next thing is I used the command fdisk to start trying to recreate the partitions using the post instructions you recommended. I did not get an option for "new". I attached the output from the shell command. Tried looking up shell command references on fdisk but is not helping me here. Is it because there is not mmcblk0 at all? I don't seem to be getting into the command mode of the fdisk command.

If I use fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0 I get "no such file or directory"

Attachments

• capture-01.JPG
    capture-01.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 14
M

Meticulus

So any confidence in the international vs the US version being the same?

Now the next thing is I used the command fdisk to start trying to recreate the partitions using the post instructions you recommended. I did not get an option for "new". I attached the output from the shell command. Tried looking up shell command references on fdisk but is not helping me here. Is it because there is not mmcblk0 at all? I don't seem to be getting into the command mode of the fdisk command.

If I use fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0 I get "no such file or directory"

Hmm... Can post a list of /dev/block ?

Code:
adb shell
ls /dev/block

M

Meticulus

yes.... I'm not sure what's wrong but id recommend installing a full odin flashable rom...
Not sure what that would be for the 4.0..

Here is another place you can check /sys/bus/platform/devices/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/block/mmcblk0

map1122

Dec 18, 2013
Wisconsin
Here is the output of that. No further.

I am already on fresh Odin flash. Several attempts actually. I have been able to flash back to Stock (and use PIT) files, access stock recovery. I did this first to think I could restore to OEM. Then flash the Terra-Silent kernel to obtain CWM and the IcyFusion Rom (did this again this morning so I could get adb to link). These are the only Odin flashable that I am aware of for the 4.0. Obviously nothing boots because the issues discussed here.

Thank you.

Attachments

• capture-04.JPG
    capture-04.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 8
M

Meticulus

Here is the output of that. No further.

I am already on fresh Odin flash. Several attempts actually. I have been able to flash back to Stock (and use PIT) files, access stock recovery. I did this first to think I could restore to OEM. Then flash the Terra-Silent kernel to obtain CWM and the IcyFusion Rom (did this again this morning so I could get adb to link). These are the only Odin flashable that I am aware of for the 4.0. Obviously nothing boots because the issues discussed here.

Thank you.

I don't know if those are "full" odin flashable roms.

Try here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531850

map1122

Dec 18, 2013
Wisconsin
Yes, that is the one I am using to revert to stock and additional PIT. I checked MD5 sums too.
Would this kind of thing be backed up in a nandroid?

M

Meticulus

Yes, that is the one I am using to revert to stock and additional PIT. I checked MD5 sums too.
Would this kind of thing be backed up in a nandroid?

No, It wouldn't be backed up in android...

I'm betting that the U.S. Odin ROM on that page is not a "full" recovery rom either... I'm downloading right now to check. If it isn't, we need to find out how safe it is to flash an INT version first then flash a USA over it.

On the 5.0, we can do that... and everything is OK but don't know about 4.0...

EDIT: Seem like the only difference is that INT has bootloaders and USA does not. That doesn't help us...:(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

@zaclimon ???

Code:
    adb root
    adb shell

Here it is, do note that it's a intl device though too.