[LOOKING FOR A FIX] DATA drops

Search This thread

tameracingdriver

Jul 5, 2010
Newcastle
All of my recent Android phones have done this. Usually for me its no "H" or "3G" or "G" but signal bars are present (sometimes blue sometimes not).

Galaxy Nexus, Note II and Nexus 4 - all of them do it. Not too often and toggling airplane mode fixes (seems to be the answer to a lot of problems with android stuff in fairness).

manook

May 12, 2010
I was using .27 radio as the signal and data throughout was a lot better. However, I was experiencing regular data freezes. Went back to .33 and its resolved.

Hopefully the next radio will be even more improved

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JJustin

Dec 16, 2010
BC (Bell)
Things might have improved a little switching Sims, but I'm still getting the freezes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

epg0

Aug 25, 2009
cm10 and data drops

Hello,

I have a rev10 running cm10 with the stock kernel provided with the ROM. I am on AT&T and have an LTE data plan.

I have tried a few different APNs before I switched over to CM10 and was experiencing data drops and lags. Now that I am on CM10 there are a few AT&T APNs to choose from. I am trying the LTE APN and also the WAP Cingular APN. I am getting data drops and lags on both of them.

I have not tried another SIM and I have not tried another kernel. I guess those options are next.

Any other suggestions. A radio change maybe?

io53

Oct 25, 2010
Thank you for this investigation! I got those data drops/delays you are taking about. I did cut my SIM to a micro myself and it's far from a perfect match in the sim tray. I'll go to my carrier and get a new one today. Will report back later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

io53

Oct 25, 2010
Yep. The new sim card did the trick. Have been using it for 4 hours now without any delay/drop. Thanks :).

Reactions: undercover

MrManson666

Jul 7, 2011
AW: [LOOKING FOR A FIX] DATA drops

Same problem with o2 in Germany :(

I really hope this is going to be fixed in 4.2.2

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
I'm getting full dropouts just sitting in my living room on T-Mobile. Never had the problem on my old phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 @1.5 GHz on Stock 4.2.1

Lownita

Jun 14, 2011
Germany
I get wifi drops! So when I turn on my phone after a long period of time (like night) the wifi bar is grey, indicating that no more connection there is. After 30 seconds or so, it turns blue again. What is happening :confused:

Wifi sleep policy is ofc set to "never".

bradm23

Jul 7, 2010
Really hoping 4.2.2 fixes some issues and comes with new radio.

I have been have issues with my nexus 4 here in Massachusetts with t mobile where i get "H" showing up on my signal but for no reason it switches to "E". The signal strength is good so i think it is just randomly dropping the data signal. The most annoying part of all of this is that my blackberry holds a solid 4g connection sitting right next to my n4, even with the same sim card. :confused:

Does any one have any tricks/suggestions that i can try to fix this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

phrami

May 24, 2012
I sure hope 4.2.2 is going to help somewhat.

I have the exact same issue, as soon as I use any app that requires data connection it will disappear for a few seconds, long enough most of the time to have the app or page to time out. I am still on stock everything, hesitant to try anything so far.

I do use WIFI extensively, one thing I have noticed though, rebooting the phone every other day somehow helps,

I am on TMO in houston metro area. There are some dark spots on TMO network all around houston, I also tried the fast tmo (TMO LTE?) apn and did have some success with that.

I have seen posts elsewhere that a replacement device was required to fix the issue, anyone got a replacement device that completely eliminated this issue?

I blame TMO most of the time though not the phone, I had similar troubles (much worse) on my SGS4g as well.

lorin_93

Mar 13, 2010
Arad
it-nthusiast.blogspot.ro
I've also been getting data drops on my Nexus 4, on giffgaff UK. I've fixed them by flashing codefirex SR11 ROM, faux123's kernel (last stable one) and by switching to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) in Phone info (*#*#4636#*#*).

It seems to be working decent without the LTE/GSM/CDMA thing, but it's very slow and it seems quite laggy (enough laggy for facebook messenger to time-out). Switching to that from WCDMA drastically improves speed and responsiveness of the network. Mobile websites are loading within 1 second (feels almost like on wifi). I don't know if it's the combination between ROM, kernel and that setting for network or something else.

But I can say that I was getting serious drops on Montley kernel. On franco kernel, the mobile data was completely unusable (it was just staying on grey H, never switched to blue H/H+ or loaded anything).

Can someone confirm this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem seems to occur most for me when leaving a Wi-Fi signal area after being on Wi-Fi for a long while. Immediately afterwards, the 3g/data signal goes haywire, disconnecting and reconnecting several times over a few minutes of use. Things seem to work better if I manually disable Wi-Fi before leaving the house; I still get occasional drops, but only once every few hours, which really isn't too bad. (EDIT: Never mind, the problem came back.) This leads me to suspect that it has something to do with transitioning between Wi-Fi and 3G, but of course that's just a guess.

Undercover, how's that new setting (LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO (PRL)) working out so far? Also, I don't think you mentioned whether your data drops were "permanent" (i.e., requiring something like toggling airplane mode or rebooting to fix) or temporary (data drops, then reconnects itself after a little while).

EDIT: I was able to grab this from logcat around the time a data drop happened:

Code:
    W/Smack/Packet( 1065): notify conn break (IOEx), close connection
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleConnectivityChange: addresses changed linkProperty[0]: resetMask=1
    D/ConnectivityService(  541):    car=removed=[100.241.121.139/29,] added=[]
    D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x75d00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x1
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 1)

<...>

D/Tethering(  541): MasterInitialState.processMessage what=3
    I/qtaguid ( 1065): Failed write_ctrl(u 56) res=-1 errno=22
    I/qtaguid ( 1065): Untagging socket 56 failed errno=-22
    W/NetworkManagementSocketTagger( 1065): untagSocket(56) failed with errno -22
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to wifi
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER
    D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x7ad00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x3
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 3)
    D/overlay (  163): FROM_STATE = OV_BYPASS_3_LAYER TO_STATE = OV_CLOSED
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=0
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: no active default network - ignoring
    D/Tethering(  541): MasterInitialState.processMessage what=3

I have no idea if this is helpful or informative at all ... perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me would be able to make some sense of this , or tell me what information might be more useful.
    Interesting. That gives me an idea. Hold tight.
    Edit. Nah, forget it.

I think i found my fix.

Rebooted, in terminal

logcat -b radio
    gave me this.

Code:
    u0_a90@android:/ $ su
    u0_a90@android:/ # logcat -b radio
    E/RILC    (  165): RIL_register: RIL version 7
    E/RILQ    (  165): (0/165): [event] qcril_uim_update_pbm_card_event: PBM_HANDLE_CARD 397313 processing Failed!
    E/RILQ    (  165): (0/165): [event] qcril_qmi_voice_nas_control_convert_radio_tech_to_radio_tech_family: invalid radio tech = 0
    E/RILQ    (  165): (0/165): [event] qcril_uim_update_pbm_card_event: PBM_HANDLE_CARD 397314 processing Failed!
    I/PHONE   (  881): Network Mode set to 0
    I/PHONE   (  881): lteOnCdma is 0 use SUBSCRIPTION_FROM_NV
    I/PHONE   (  881): Cdma Subscription set to 1
    D/RILJ    (  881): RIL(context, preferredNetworkType=0 cdmaSubscription=1)
    D/RILJ    (  881): Starting RILReceiver
    I/RILC    (  165): libril: new connection
    I/RILC    (  165): RIL Daemon version: Qualcomm RIL 1.0
    I/RILJ    (  881): Connected to 'rild' socket
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RIL_CONNECTED {7}
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0000]> RADIO_POWER off
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0001]> REQUEST_SET_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE : 0
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0002]> RIL_REQUEST_CDMA_SET_SUBSCRIPTION_SOURCE : 1
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_RADIO_STATE_CHANGED RADIO_OFF
    D/RIL_UiccController(  881): Creating UiccController
    D/RILB    (  881): Notifying: radio available
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0003]> SCREEN_STATE: true
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0003]< SCREEN_STATE
    I/PHONE   (  881): Creating GSMPhone
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0000]< RADIO_POWER
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_RADIO_STATE_CHANGED RADIO_OFF
    D/PHONE   (  881): mDoesRilSendMultipleCallRing=false
    D/PHONE   (  881): mCallRingDelay=3000
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0002]< RIL_REQUEST_CDMA_SET_SUBSCRIPTION_SOURCE
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0001]< REQUEST_SET_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE
    D/RILJ    (  881): setPhoneType=1 old value=0
    D/SMS     (  881): SMSDispatcher: ctor mSmsCapable=true format=3gpp mSmsReceiveDisabled=false mSmsSendDisabled=false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] DCT.constructor
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] GsmDCT.constructor
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set enabled as true, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(default, true(true), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set reason as dependencyMet,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set enabled as true, current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] trySetupData for type:default due to dependencyMet
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] trySetupData with mIsPsRestricted=false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnsOfAvailability skipped apn due to isReady==false: {mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=dependencyMet mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(mms, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(supl, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(dun, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(hipri, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(fota, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(ims, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(cbs, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/RILB    (  881): registerForRilConnected h=Handler (com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy) {4135fa98} w=4
    D/RILB    (  881): Notifying: ril connected mRilVersion=7
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): Creating
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): [COLOR="Red"]Broadcasting intent ACTION_SIM_STATE_CHANGED NOT_READY reason null[/COLOR]
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): Setting radio tech UMTS
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): updateQuietMode: 3GPP subscription -> newQuietMode=false
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): updateQuietMode: QuietMode is false (app_type=1 isLteOnCdmaMode=false cdmaSource=-1)
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0004]> RADIO_POWER on
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] Poll ServiceState done:  oldSS=[1 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported 0 0 RoamInd=0 DefRoamInd=0 EmergOnly=false] newSS=[3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1 RoamInd=-1 DefRoamInd=-1 EmergOnly=false] oldGprs=1 newData=1 oldMaxDataCalls=1 mNewMaxDataCalls=1 oldReasonDataDenied=-1 mNewReasonDataDenied=-1 oldType=Unknown newType=Unknown
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] updateSpnDisplay: radio is off w/ showPlmn=false plmn=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] updateSpnDisplay: changed sending intent rule=0 showPlmn='false' plmn='null' showSpn='false' spn=''
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] operatorNumeric is null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270369 when=-222ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@4132e420 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270337 when=-202ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@4131ae38 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onRadioAvailable
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] overall state is IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270342 when=-202ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@41350028 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onRadioOffOrNotAvailable: is off and clean up all connections
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpAllConnections: tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=fota mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT][COLOR="red"] isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded[/COLOR]
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(fota): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:fota
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=fota mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=fota mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=dun mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] [COLOR="red"]isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded[/COLOR]
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(dun): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:dun
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=dun mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=dun mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=supl mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] [COLOR="red"]isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded[/COLOR]
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(supl): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:supl
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=supl mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=supl mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=hipri mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(hipri): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:hipri
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=hipri mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=hipri mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=ims mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(ims): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:ims
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=ims mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=ims mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(default): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=true apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:default
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=mms mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(mms): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:mms
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=mms mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=mms mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=cbs mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(cbs): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:cbs
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=cbs mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=cbs mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] stopNetStatPoll
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:fota
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(fota): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0004]< RADIO_POWER
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_RADIO_STATE_CHANGED RADIO_ON
    D/RILB    (  881): Notifying: Radio On
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:dun
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(dun): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:supl
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(supl): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:hipri
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(hipri): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:ims
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(ims): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnsOfAvailability skipped apn due to isReady==false: {mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:mms
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(mms): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:cbs
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(cbs): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_VOICE_NETWORK_STATE_CHANGED
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270345 when=-625ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@41335960 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onDataConnectionDetached: stop polling and notify detached
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] stopNetStatPoll
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyDataConnection: reason=dataDetached
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyDataConnection: type:default
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(default): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=true apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:default
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnsOfAvailability skipped apn due to isReady==false: {mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270348 when=-690ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@41330038 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onRoamingOff

and much more which is irrelevant i think. So this prompted me to do what i should have done ages ago but completely forgot. I've swapped sims with my wife's S3 (same operator). Low and behold, my sim in her phone has no data (same symptoms as no 1) ,her card in mine working fine. Will report again once i change my sim.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi guys. I've looked around and it seems that data drops are fairly common as of lately. I would like to find out what exactly the problem is.
    Here's my situation. Data drops first occurred about a week ago, I was running RBJ and Harsh kernel with hsic fix in. Mainly it happens when exiting wifi range. Went back to nandroid with RBJ/Bricked and it was fine. Tried harsh again issue reappeared. Tried flashing pre hsic kernels and problem persisted. Full wipe, dirty flashes, different kernels etc. Problem is still there intermittently. Now I'm running stock everything and it seems ok for now, but I did experience it once. I guess more testing is needed. I'd think it could be carrier issues, especially as Orange UK confirmed they are having problems at (that would include T-Mobile) but my wife is on the same carrier and doesn't seem to have this problem.
    So what you say? What rom/kernel combo you had issue on and on which one you didn't? Can anyone see a pattern?
    Problem first appeared:
    RBJ
    HARSH
    Orange UK
    West London

As suggested per _ICE_
    Post these please.

Hardware: rev_x (10 or 11) <-- go to boot loader to check
    ROM:
    Kernel:
    Network:
    Description: One of the below or other

1. There is 3g or H sign above signal bar but the tiny arrow pointing up is constantly showing and you can't get access to internet ?
    2. There is no 3g or H sign above signal bar but you have blue signal bars ?
    3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear
    What do you mean by no data?

Do you mean
    1. There is 3g or H sign above signal bar but the tiny arrow pointing up is constantly showing and you can't get access to internet ?
    2. There is no 3g or H sign above signal bar but you have blue signal bars ?
    3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear ?

Most of the times I get issue 1 but simple air plane mode solves the problem

After updating my phone to 4.2.2, i've never experienced any data drops and also, I've noticed that my signal is much better. Could anyone agree with my findings?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Hahaha... same here.
    :)

Previously in 4.2.1, once I lose data, I'd lose it for good. Even if I get to a place where I know there is a good 3G signal, the phone signal still indicates the gray triangle w/o the H. The only way for me to get it back was to either reboot or to toggle between plane-mode and phone-mode.

Now under 4.2.2, although I still lose data connections on the same areas (3g dead-zone perhaps?), my phone is now able to re-establish data quickly.

Anyway, looking good so far! (knock on wood...)