[ROM] - [4.3.1] - [October 29, 2013] - JellyBean DS v1.7

Search This thread
May 6, 2008
For some reason I cannot flash any version of this ROM higher than 1.4
I originally flashed 1.3, and dirty flashed to 1.4 with no problems, everything I use works great.
However, when I flash 1.5 or 1.7, I get an infinite boot loop. Sometimes it makes it to the spinning CM logo for a second, but not usually.
I tried both dirty flashing and clean flashing 1.5 and 1.7 all with the same result.
I see some people talking about the kernel.
According to "about phone" I have 3.0.94-WildKernel-reloaded....
Also, I am Revolution unlocked, S-Off, and the 1.44 Hboot.
Am I missing something? I would love to use the new versions.
Thanks.

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I originally flashed 1.3, and dirty flashed to 1.4 with no problems, everything I use works great.
However, when I flash 1.5 or 1.7, I get an infinite boot loop. Sometimes it makes it to the spinning CM logo for a second, but not usually.
I tried both dirty flashing and clean flashing 1.5 and 1.7 all with the same result.
Thanks.

It appears that some sort of issue affecting a few of our devices crept in between 1.4 and 1.5. If you install 1.5, and install WildKernel-Reloaded 007 over top of it, it should work. I have a slightly modified version of 007 (I pretty much just changed the installer to work with 4.3.1 as well as 4.3) which will work with 1.6 as well, although there is a different problem with 1.7, so we haven't been able to get that to work.
If you can run the command:
adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > kmsg.txt
on your device while it is boot looping (probably while the Cyanogen Mod circle is spinning) the contents of kmsg.txt may help me track it down.

Actually, your information is helpful to me, as it looks like the kernel in 1.4 is newer than WIldKernel 007, which helps narrow things down a bit. Can you send me the rest of the kernel version string?
I am currently going through all of the differences between a working and non-working kernel, line by line, looking for something that can explain this behaviour...

May 6, 2008
It appears that some sort of issue affecting a few of our devices crept in between 1.4 and 1.5. If you install 1.5, and install WildKernel-Reloaded 007 over top of it, it should work. I have a slightly modified version of 007 (I pretty much just changed the installer to work with 4.3.1 as well as 4.3) which will work with 1.6 as well, although there is a different problem with 1.7, so we haven't been able to get that to work.
If you can run the command:
adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > kmsg.txt
on your device while it is boot looping (probably while the Cyanogen Mod circle is spinning) the contents of kmsg.txt may help me track it down.

Actually, your information is helpful to me, as it looks like the kernel in 1.4 is newer than WIldKernel 007, which helps narrow things down a bit. Can you send me the rest of the kernel version string?
I am currently going through all of the differences between a working and non-working kernel, line by line, looking for something that can explain this behaviour...

My full kernel string in "about phone" on my working 1.4 is:
3.0.94-WildKernel-reloaded-g6463139
utomi@Ubuntu-Downstairs #1
Wed Sep 4 18:47:57 CDT 2013

I'll get the kmsg as soon as I can afford to experiment again (this is my daily driver phone, so I actually need to use it sometimes!)

Vauvenal7

Nov 2, 2012
Xiaomi Poco F1
So, after like an eternity (round 2months now) i got this ROM as a DD
I love it, its one of your finest ROMs ever made (jellykang is nice too, but i still havent found out why i cant activate halo^^)
The only thing i got in those 2 months are really random reboots every once in a while (sometimes 3 times a day, other times once in 3 days)
No clue why, a bit annoying, but not that much of a deal

Great ROM and thanks for all the hard work :D

Greets Vauvenal7

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide

Limewirelord

Feb 8, 2012
Google Experience Launcher works fine besides the search function consistently crashing whenever you enter a search query.

steve_77

Jun 9, 2010
Bad links ...

Emmanuel U,

On first page
JB 4.3 Gapps: Full Version & Slim Version
links are not working. :(

also what is the difference between "slim" and "full", if im not mistaken (from reading various posts) it would appear that that i wont be able to use the the new maps and must use the old maps @http://goo.gl/Asll7 (i.e. Maps_6_14_4.apk )

is this correct?

Vauvenal7

Nov 2, 2012
Xiaomi Poco F1
Weird...flashed 1.7 from scratch (with full wipe and all) and now it reboots when i want to sign into dropbox
Anybody any idea?

Greets Vauvenal7

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide

Vauvenal7

Nov 2, 2012
Xiaomi Poco F1
If you have adb installed and enabled, can you get the output of:
adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg

after one of these reboots?

Huh, weird oO
I changed ROM for a day, and went back (via nandroid) to try the adb logcat, but it seems as it fixed itself
Could sign in without any problem or reboot
No plan what was at the first time (tried it 3 times, always a reboot, and now nothing :D )
Ok, thanks for the help anyway :D

Greets Vauvenal7

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Huh, weird oO
I changed ROM for a day, and went back (via nandroid) to try the adb logcat, but it seems as it fixed itself
Could sign in without any problem or reboot
No plan what was at the first time (tried it 3 times, always a reboot, and now nothing :D )
Ok, thanks for the help anyway :D

Greets Vauvenal7

I call it the mechanic effect. Nothing like threatening something with a mechanic to get it to start working on it's own...

Reactions: Vauvenal7

Vauvenal7

Nov 2, 2012
Xiaomi Poco F1
Well, now the mobile internet seems to have a bug oO
Cant connect to the internet (reboot didnt fix it though :/ )
What to do now? :S

Greets Vauvenal7

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I frequently get this problem, but here it seems to be caused by having a second APN for MMS. If you only have one APN, its not the same problem. If you do have an MMS APN, try disabling it

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Vauvenal7

steve_77

Jun 9, 2010
any special directions for flashing

Forgive my ignorance and frustration here, but ive been trying to get this rom installed. I first started out flashing DS JB 1.7 last night - i was running mikrom 0.7(GB) - wiped the while device, stats, cache, factory reset, then flashed DS 1.7 - but the device seems to be stuck hanging at the factory boot up page for hours -you know with the white background with "T-Mobile MyTouch 4G slide" .

I recall hearing issues of people trying to flash 1.7 directly and not doing an upgrade from some previous version of JellyBean DS... but was hoping for some guidance...

it seems im having the same issue as :

Thanks.

However - I also tried rewiping and flashing 1.4 and 1.3 - which give me the same problem. Frustrated i wiped it all again flashed the wildkernel 8, and tried then flashing the same 1.7, 1.4 and 1.3 with a full wipe inbetween, granted im still running GB and its been a long time since ive flashed a rom, but something is amiss and i can really use some help. I dont even get to the CM spinning logo..

my scenario (PREVIOUS to FLASHING the DS JB 1.X and WildKernel 8):
Miktouch 0.7 (gingerbread)
doubleshot PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
Hboot-1.45.0013
radio-11.16.3504.20_2
eMMC-boot
nov 21, 2011
CM recovery 5.0.2.7

as i said i tried flashing a few (with full wipes in between) of the DS JB rom without success...

As i was running GB near stock, I have not experimented with any alternate kernel, so thought that perhaps it was needed, so i:.

a) flashed new kernel (wildkernel 8)
b) flashed jellybeanDS 1.4 (on top)
c) rebooted & noticed it was stuck at white "tmobile my touch slide " screen.... so regardless i pulled battery and
c) dirty flashed jellybeanDS 1.7 on top thinking it might fix the issue but no go

it seems like i always get stuck at white screen boot screen that has the fancy "T-Mobile MyTouch 4G slide" text on it no matter what i try.

Given that my device is pretty much wiped, is there a log file somewhere i might be able to post to help solve this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: daswerk

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
However - I also tried rewiping and flashing 1.4 and 1.3 - which give me the same problem. Frustrated i wiped it all again flashed the wildkernel 8, and tried then flashing the same 1.7, 1.4 and 1.3 with a full wipe inbetween, granted im still running GB and its been a long time since ive flashed a rom, but something is amiss and i can really use some help. I dont even get to the CM spinning logo..
To eliminate the kernel issue some of us have been having, I recommend starting with version 1.4 of this ROM. Before flashing, wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, and format system, then flash the 1.4 ROM. Does it do anything at this point?

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

I thought I would post an update here... With some help from Emmanuel, I have now successfully built the kernel from version 1.4 of this ROM and am running it on my phone, over the 1.6 ROM. 1.4 seems to be the latest released kernel that works on my device. I was not able to put WildKernel007 over the 1.7 ROM, I suspect it needs a newer version, although I haven't actually tried with the 1,4 Kernel, which is slightly newer than 007. The next step is to go through each checking on the tree until I find when the kernel causes my device to hang/reboot. Hopefully I will have the bug tracked down by the weekend, so I can get caught up to the latest version of the ROM and Kernel :)

steve_77

Jun 9, 2010
To eliminate the kernel issue some of us have been having, I recommend starting with version 1.4 of this ROM. Before flashing, wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, and format system, then flash the 1.4 ROM. Does it do anything at this point?

I have had no luck with kernels included in the DS JB 1.3 rom. the 1.4 rom and the 1.7 rom.
I also tried the JellyKang 2.1 and 2.0 all of which get me stuck in a bootloop.

I then tried the WildKernel with 1.4 JB DS as well as 1.7 wirh same result- i went back to miktouch 0.7 (GB) without issue

I do full wipe between installation attempts (cache, data, system, sdext, dalvik)

Recalling how some roms i the past didnt work right if you did not have the right recovery i updated my recovery to CM 6.0.3.3 - and tried again to no avail. I surely though the 1.4 rom would work as is but it was just nt meant to be at least on my device.

I then came across another thread on others being stuck in bootloop and im sure I am having the same issue :(

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

I thought I would post an update here...

Any resolution to this issue would be great, im so jealous of those that got this rom working on their devices and here I am... stuck with GB 2.3.4 :(

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have had no luck with kernels included in the DS JB 1.3 rom. the 1.4 rom and the 1.7 rom.
I also tried the JellyKang 2.1 and 2.0 all of which get me stuck in a bootloop.

I then tried the WildKernel with 1.4 JB DS as well as 1.7 wirh same result- i went back to miktouch 0.7 (GB) without issue

I do full wipe between installation attempts (cache, data, system, sdext, dalvik)

Recalling how some roms i the past didnt work right if you did not have the right recovery i updated my recovery to CM 6.0.3.3 - and tried again to no avail. I surely though the 1.4 rom would work as is but it was just nt meant to be at least on my device.

I then came across another thread on others being stuck in bootloop and im sure I am having the same issue :(

Any resolution to this issue would be great, im so jealous of those that got this rom working on their devices and here I am... stuck with GB 2.3.4 :(

If you can get it to go to recovery while it is boot-looping, you might be able to get the last_kmsg file.. If: adb shell cat /proc/last_kmesg
returns anything, it would be very helpful in figuring out why it is dying.

steve_77

Jun 9, 2010
If you can get it to go to recovery while it is boot-looping, you might be able to get the last_kmsg file.. If: adb shell cat /proc/last_kmesg
returns anything, it would be very helpful in figuring out why it is dying.

Thanks for the tip, after some extensive experiments im going to have to apologize to you all as the issue is not related to this ROM. I cant seem to flash any 4.2 or 4.3 ROM. :( really dont know whats wrong and want to keep this thread clean. moving this issue to the previously mentioned bootloop problem thread.
thanks again.

Last edited:

acwest

Oct 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kernel problems fixed, but phone app still crashes

I posted an update to the WildKernel Reloaded thread, I have successfully gotten the kernel to work on my device. It turns out that after 1.4 some higher CPU frequency settings were baked into the kernel config file, and my phone (and a few others) apparently can't take that.
I tried updating to 1.7 with the new build of the kernel, but I still get the same problem I did before of the Phone App crashing repeatedly. I suppose my next project will be debugging that, but for now I am using 1.6 with the 1.7 kernel (and lower speed).
Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Emmanuel, who both put together the kernel in the first place, and got me a build of the tool chain so I could find the problem :)
-Craig

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Thanks for the tip, after some extensive experiments im going to have to apologize to you all as the issue is not related to this ROM. I cant seem to flash any 4.2 or 4.3 ROM. :( really dont know whats wrong and want to keep this thread clean. moving this issue to the previously mentioned bootloop problem thread.
thanks again.

Are you s-off? You need to flash the kernel boot.IMG from fastboot if you are s-on unlocked only. To flash it from recovery you must be s-off

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    JellyBeanDS - Android 4.3 (CM 10.2) for the myTouch 4G Slide

Notes:

Found a dead link? Let me know! (check my sig for a backup of all my files for the time being)

Please only use the included built in WildKernel (or else please don't report bugs if using an alternate kernel)

I'd recommend not using Focal until it's bugs are fixed, the native camera app is still there.

Newer Google Maps will have major graphical issues due to our legacy hardware, use this instead.

Bugs/Issues:
    You tell me?

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    #include <emman.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Thanks to:
    Team Hydra
    SilverL
    Scverhagen
    Team DS & CyanogenMod
    Code Aurora
    Bruce2728
    Evervolv
    LiquidSmooth
    CarbonDev
    SlimRoms
    RootWebGod
    Overhauling

Download_Button.gif

Latest MD5: f1709a44fe4e7ae14de0f6228ffe3caa

JB 4.3 Gapps: Full Version & Slim Version

Goo Hosting:

v1.7 (HTTP)

All Releases (HTTP)

Mirrors from TRU:

v1.7 (HTTP) / (FTP)

All Releases (FTP)

Sources
    Hey guys just wanted to drop in and let everyone know that this project isn't dead, I've just been sick with GTAitis ;) while pretty busy with homework. I'm going to try pushing out some bug fixes by next week. Good night everyone
    @SilverL and I were able to get Android 4.4 booting tonight, however it is extremely un-usuable (I couldn't even get a screenshot like I usually like to :(). The touchscreen and buttons seem partially unresponsive (that may be from the main system segfaulting) and adb seems to shutoff after a few seconds post-boot. Then processes start to force close and system segfaults. However a few things do work from what I've noticed from how little it can be used; lights (LED and button lights), Radio/RIL, Sound? Those are what are fully confirmed working. You can find our source here and more work w/ debugging will be put into this tomorrow and in the next days. Good night everyone
    Uploaded, enjoy :)
    To keep on topic

I guess, now that the ROM got rebased i cant dirty flash it over 1.5?

Greets Vauvenal7
    It's a minor rebase you'll be fine. I will usually mention if a full wipe is required prior to an upgrade

Not in these cases. I read through all the changes you have in the repositories, and they're all useless. Adding things like, for example, WIMAX support. Wimax is both obsolete, and not PHYSICALLY present on this hardware.

List as follows;
    frameworks/av: add in some bogus 3d camera junk that does not apply.
    latinime/gallery2: there is simply no justification for forking these, upstream work fine, and even if they didn't, this is not the place to implement hacks.
    settings: all you did is break from default values. Default values that are perfectly fine and user customizable... and again, not even the place to implement these. If you want to override xml resources, you do so in DEVICE OVERLAY.
    hardware/qcom/audio-caf: disable some logcat noise, nothing functionally useful.
    hardware/libhardware/legacy: add wimax support -- to hardware that doesn't even HAVE wimax.
    device/htc/common: obsolete and not even used, just added in for the fun of it apparently.

Then also, you replaced the default compiler.... with something you found that is neither tested nor supported. Even if this didn't add in bugs, which it certainly does, it isn't going to make any appreciable difference.

To be frank, a build with my manifest is far LESS buggy than your builds.

First off...where do you see any wimax commits? Why would I even mess with wimax when our device doesn't support it. Second, all my repositories are mean't to work with all devices under our same arch....not just the doubleshot. So seeing 3D camera commits were most likely meant for the Evo 3D but were automatically merged in from other repos....this merge would not apply seeing as the camera won't compile these changes unless told so in the configuration (which it is not). Third, latinime was just reset to a point in which it didn't produce graphical errors...there may have been a commit upstream that fixed but I'm not monitoring it as that is not my priority. I add in the htc common configuration because I also build recovery images with my roms for personal use. Last but not least, a seperate toolchain is used for this device as it seems despite CM's commits "fixing" the problem, compiling servicemanager with google's latest toolchain corrupts the executable and segfaults on startup. I simply changed the default select of a menu item since the option doesn't not work well on our device and may mimick battery drain (there is no way to have done this through the overlay else I would've....why would I purposely host my own repo if a simple overlay could've been made?). If your build is so much better than mine, why not release it instead of just bragging about how much it is supposedly better? I'm open to criticism or else I wouldn't ask about what's wrong with my rom...however I don't need to be insulted. I don't see why something like that would need to be stated and not known through common knowledge. Also if everyone on this forum was capable of producing a rom, then there would be no need for this site. It does not make an individual lazy because they choose not to replicate someones work.