Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

Search This thread

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009
so, let me see if i get this right.
lapdock 100 works fine, and at lapdock for atrix/bionic i need to flip around the connectors?
or is the same flip for any lapdocks?

(can i get a more detailed explanation of how to flip what? )
thank you.

i am thinking of buying this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bion..._1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334727926&sr=1-4

The HDMI and USB connectors need to be flipped. It's easy to do, just flip up the phone dock, locate the two little black circular stickers, remove them and unscrew the screws underneath. Then, the phone dock pops open to reveal the USB and HDMI connectors. Unscrew the bracket holding them in place, flip them over, and put the bracket back on. The HDMI plug is a little bit tricky, but it works. Then, you will have to shave down the left side of where the phone sits so it can fully dock.

Good luck!

Reactions: bogdan_wrc

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009
It looks like they are both the same thing, except for the shape of the dock. It's a little plastic piece that pops out and it shapes to the phone (Atrix 4G or Droid Bionic) and the ports might be flipped from one to the other. Go with the cheaper one.

Reactions: bogdan_wrc

bogdan_wrc

Nov 22, 2008
thanks!

at the one from At&T is says this:

(Note: The Motorola Lapdock requires the separately available Motorola ATRIX 4G, and an AT&T 4 GB DataPro with Tethering plan is required to use the Lapdock with your ATRIX 4G.)

is this valide only for use in US, or general valide?
i know that when i used to connect my stock D3 to PC, it opened a webpage from Verizon...and i was thinking not to be b,locked the access from AT&T...just like D3 was with verizon...

TNSandman

Feb 13, 2008
Atrix dock for 69.99

Head over to bensoutlet dotcom. they also have the Bionic dock for 20 bucks more.

Last edited:

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009
there is a sale on motorola store, where lapdock for ATRIX 4G is $99
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...ries/Docking-Stations/Atrix-Laptop-Dock-US-EN

will it work on D3? thanks
i mean, the thickness, and all the physical details will allow the d3 to fit the lapdock?

Check out one of my previous posts. You will need to flip the connectors, and the D3 won't lay correctly in the cradle without some "persuasion". Other than that, it will work. It gives you mouse and keyboard with HDMI mirror. Until Lapdock app is ported to D3 or Ubuntu for Android is released, you don't get the extra functionality.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
So I finally got this thing modded for my Droid 3. Basically what I did was cut a larger hole where the microHDMI and microUSB connectors are so they could be reversed and pushed up higher. I then plugged them into my Droid 3 while I screwed the bracket down so they were held in the correct positioning. I also have to leave the little cover that snaps on the dock off. But overall it was a success.

I finally got some time to really test the features on this thing. USB host seems to be working pretty well, and USB flash drives are working, see attachment. There is even a notification bar prompt for opening the stock Files program and ejecting. In Root Explorer, etc flash drives were mounted as "/mnt/usbdisk_1.6" or "/mnt/usbdisk_1.7" depending on the port you use. I'm guessing 0-5 are reserved for other internal USB devices like the dock keyboard and mouse.

3 Apps I'd recommend while using this lapdock are Dock Nothingness, Rotation Locker and Null Keyboard. Dock Nothingness will prevent programs from launching when you dock your Droid 3, for me Tunein radio kept popping up. Rotation Locker allows you to force the screen to stay in Landscape as some apps will make it go back to portrait without it. Null Keyboard is a keyboard that is nothing. Set it as your default and you'll get no keyboard popping up, but you'll have to remember to switch it back afterwards, or you could try Dock Keyboard Switcher.

If you hear a crackling noise for a split second when you dock, don't freak out. Its just the audio amplifier on the dock starting up. Also if the keyboard and mouse don't want to work, shut the lid and wait a few seconds, then reopen it and it should work.

Attachments

• usbstorage.jpg
    usbstorage.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:

phonephoenix

Feb 21, 2012
Is ICS going to cause a problem when connecting to the dock?

I can't play my music through my car radio with ICS so would I need to go back to GB?

TNSandman

Feb 13, 2008
My lapdick experience

I received my Atrix dock and really like it so far. I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the plastic dock to make the D3 sit properly and make a reliable connection. It works well and I really like it. Played with it for about a day now, Netflix is nice on bigger screen,texting is good, Angry Birds is good. I also like that it charges the phone battery.

All in all it took about an hour of plastic trimming and test fitting. I added one item as peace of mind for myself. Once the phone is docked I have a black Velcro cable tie a wrap around the phone and dock connector so I can move and not be to worried about the phone falling or the connectors being subjected to more stress than needed.

Last edited:

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I played around with this a title more today testing out keyboard shortcuts.

If you press Fn + F4 (4) it will shut off the screen on both the lapdock and the Droid, its basically the equivalent of pressing the power button. Ctrl + Alt + Del (Fn + Backspace) will reboot the phone. Ctrl brings up settings, Esc will work similar to the back button IIRC, and Fn + Home works as a home button.

The speakers will work even with the lid closed so the lapdock can be used like an audiodock. They aren't the best sounding since they are small, but still an improvement over the little built in speaker and since there are 2 of them on the dock you get stereo.

Remote RDP is a nice Android app that supports mouse input and works using the lapdock, meaning right click and left click work and you only see one cursor, but you'll have to configure this in the options. Unfortunately you are limited to using 960x540, even though the lapdock screen can do more you are limited to the Droid 3's resolution since its being mirrored.

husker_fan

May 13, 2012
I ordered one from bens outlet too. I trimmed it and flipped connectors, but the keyboard and mouse and speakers don't work.

I see the battery indicator does not show charging when it is docked, possibly an issue with the usb?

Is there something I need to do to get it to work?

Last edited:

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I ordered one from bens outlet too. I trimmed it and flipped connectors, but the keyboard and mouse and speakers don't work.

I see the battery indicator does not show charging when it is docked, possibly an issue with the usb?

Is there something I need to do to get it to work?

Are you running stock 2.3.4? You may have issues with 3rd party ROMs especially ICS.

husker_fan

May 13, 2012
Completely stock, just got the new update the other day

Probably defective unit, I will stick with Amazon next time, free shipping isn't worth the hassle of this waste of time.

Last edited:

p0tt5

Jan 30, 2012
steal of a deal!

Hey guys, been following this thread hoping that there will be some magic solution to enable the full real deal webtop on the D3, and came across this:

www(dot)all4cellular(dot)com/product/motorola-atrix-4g-laptop-dock-hdmi-upgrade-kit(dot)html

seems like a really reasonable price and you don't "have" to mod the dock.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Hey guys, been following this thread hoping that there will be some magic solution to enable the full real deal webtop on the D3, and came across this:

www(dot)all4cellular(dot)com/product/motorola-atrix-4g-laptop-dock-hdmi-upgrade-kit(dot)html

seems like a really reasonable price and you don't "have" to mod the dock.

That isn't a bad price, Ive seen the cables sold by themselves before but they wanted over $20 just for the cables.

The advantage of modding the lapdock is that it can support the Droid 3 in the dock so you can pick up the lapdock and move around with it. Its actually comfortable to use as a laptop since it doesn't give off heat like a normal laptop.

The disadvantage is that modding it makes it look a bit ugly, at least my mod job, and you'd have to mod it each time you get a new phone.

TNSandman

Feb 13, 2008
Completely stock, just got the new update the other day

Probably defective unit, I will stick with Amazon next time, free shipping isn't worth the hassle of this waste of time.

You may need to do a bit more trimming. Mine is still a little finicky, a little trimming would fix it up I bet.

I use a velcro strap to hold the phone nice and secure when docked.

Good luck. I use it often at work for meetings and such. On the road its great to use remote desktop over 3g.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Assuming the lapdock is charged or on the charger, I would try hooking up your phone while the lapdock connections are disassembled. This is what I did before modding it just to make sure it would work. The HDMI should work no matter what, but the keyboard/touchpad can be troublesome sometimes. Closing and reopening the lid usually gets it working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My lapdick experience

I received my Atrix dock and really like it so far. I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the plastic dock to make the D3 sit properly and make a reliable connection. It works well and I really like it. Played with it for about a day now, Netflix is nice on bigger screen,texting is good, Angry Birds is good. I also like that it charges the phone battery.

All in all it took about an hour of plastic trimming and test fitting. I added one item as peace of mind for myself. Once the phone is docked I have a black Velcro cable tie a wrap around the phone and dock connector so I can move and not be to worried about the phone falling or the connectors being subjected to more stress than needed.
    so, let me see if i get this right.
    lapdock 100 works fine, and at lapdock for atrix/bionic i need to flip around the connectors?
    or is the same flip for any lapdocks?

(can i get a more detailed explanation of how to flip what? )
    thank you.

i am thinking of buying this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bion..._1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334727926&sr=1-4

The HDMI and USB connectors need to be flipped. It's easy to do, just flip up the phone dock, locate the two little black circular stickers, remove them and unscrew the screws underneath. Then, the phone dock pops open to reveal the USB and HDMI connectors. Unscrew the bracket holding them in place, flip them over, and put the bracket back on. The HDMI plug is a little bit tricky, but it works. Then, you will have to shave down the left side of where the phone sits so it can fully dock.

Good luck!
    It looks like they are both the same thing, except for the shape of the dock. It's a little plastic piece that pops out and it shapes to the phone (Atrix 4G or Droid Bionic) and the ports might be flipped from one to the other. Go with the cheaper one.
    so i managed to make it work, but it shows me its connected to dock, only when the lid is closed. once i open the lid, the phone disconnects. any help?

You could try plugging in only one of the two cables by opening the lapdock and unscrewing them. If you just plug in HDMI it should work similar to when you connect it to a TV with HDMI. Then try microUSB once you know the display/HDMI works.
    my 100 works

So after I got the dock took it apart and looked closely, there are plastic boots around the connectors that are basically d shaped so when you try to turn the connectors around they don't fit correctly although you can mess with it and make it work it seemed to me that it is very hard to get the usb connector to connect every time. You have to remove the metallic tape to see the shape of the boots. You can see the shape of one of the plastic boots in the attached photo (sorry for the glare).

My fix was to use a hot knife cut the boots in half, take them off, flip them around and hot glue them back into place. After this procedure the connectors are are held in place correctly. Also plugging them into the phone before screwing the bracket down helped tremendously. The nice part of hot glue is you can just pull it apart and scrape it off if things are not just right.

I accidentally broke three wires on the usb connector and had to re-solder them. Then it took fixing one of the wires twice. I also made the holes larger before trying to put it together. It took about 6 tries in all to get it right (including just turning the connectors around before I was determined to dramatically improve it). Then I put a little more hot glue along the bottom of the connectors to strengthen up the wires. I used a wedge shaped grinder on each end of the mount to knock the ridges down as well. I didn't put the little spacer plastic back. The phone fits great and the connectors are very stable.

Now over 95% of the time I dock it and it just works. There has been a few times where the screen didn't go to the correct size or the sound didn't work and once hdmi didn't detect anything but I feel confident it will work every time I go to use it and reconnecting it fixes it.

I have a stock global d3 rooted, swipe is turned off so I don't see that issue and I love this thing.

I took it on vacation and played Lushington Springs with a bluetooth mouse everywhere I went. Everyone asked about it and it works so good I even connected a couple other people's phones (a bionic and a razor). I watched movies on the airplane it is small enough to have it fully open on your lap while sitting on the plane. The keyboard is great and typing txt messages on this is a pleasure. Anyhow I can't recommend getting a lapdock enough.