[APP][2.2+] DroidXplorer, Wireless filemanager

Search This thread

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
I just published an early version of an app that allows you to browse and manage the contents on your device using just a webbrowser, the only requirement is that your device is connected to the same network as the computer or tablet you use to browse with.

The Video and Image galleries shows thumbnails, and if you have the correct plugins installed in your browser you can stream audio and video without downloading.

Here's a video clip featuring the web interface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzFWsIsDY4

And here are two screenshots of the server app and the web based user interface
main_starting_mini.png

imagebrowser_mini.png

Download from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.droidstop.droidxplore

If you decide to try it, please note that when you start the server it might take a while before the server is active, you will notice when notification icon "xp" is shown.

This is an early version, and if feedback shows it's worth it, I will implement ability to transfer files TO the device within a week.

I have only been able to test the app on an HTC Sensation with ICS, and an emulator running 2.2 so I can't guarantee it will work for everyone yet, just remember to send bug reports to me so I can fix all issues, if there are any.

Current features
- Browse contents
- View thumbnail galleries
- Download and Upload files from and to your device.
- Create folders, rename files and folders and delete stuff.

I would really appreciate feedback on this.
Thanks for reading.

Suggested plugins for your browser to get streaming from your device working:
Quicktime, http://www.apple.com/quicktime/?
VLC Media Player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Last edited:

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Pretty decent and fast, but quite a bit of wasted space. Maybe you also also direct us to some of the plugins to enable video/audio playback in browser.

Reactions: MetalDroid

jpmi23

Oct 24, 2008
Detroit-Metro
twitter.com
Not too bad actually. Streaming video seems to work well in Chrome. I'm excited to try this at home on my Google TV. That's the real test, in my opinion. Excited for some more features too.

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
Thank you for all the nice feedback guys, and what a great honor to be featured on the first page :)

I've already implemented the below mentioned features, but need to test them through some more before publishing on Play.
1) Renaming files and folder
2) Transfering files to the device, either one file at the time or you can transfer a zip and have it automatically extracted on arrival to the device.
3) Deleting files and folders

There's also a few minor changes, and bug fixes. All (apart from a few minor non-critical) strings are in the strings.xml, so if anyone feels up to translate to another language, drop me a note and I'll send you the xml needed.

The issue with non streaming is probably a mime type misconfiguration on my part, so I'll have a look at it for a coming release.

I know there's a lot of empty space when using the web interface on a larger screen, but I'm working more and more towards having the same interface fully functional for both stationary and smaller devices, there's probably a few glitches left for me to fix in that area though...

p.s. I'll have a look around for decent plugins for streaming to web browsers, if you know of any good ones, feel free to post them here and I'll edit my first post to include links.

Cheers guys, The update will be available later tonight or by tomorrow.

Reactions: dimabehi

drraptor

Mar 9, 2012
Thank you for all the nice feedback guys, and what a great honor to be featured on the first page :)

I've already implemented the below mentioned features, but need to test them through some more before publishing on Play.
2) Transfering files to the device, either one file at the time or you can transfer a zip and have it automatically extracted on arrival to the device.

There's also a few minor changes, and bug fixes. All (apart from a few minor non-critical) strings are in the strings.xml, so if anyone feels up to translate to another language, drop me a note and I'll send you the xml needed.

The issue with non streaming is probably a mime type misconfiguration on my part, so I'll have a look at it for a coming release.

I know there's a lot of empty space when using the web interface on a larger screen, but I'm working more and more towards having the same interface fully functional for both stationary and smaller devices, there's probably a few glitches left for me to fix in that area though...

p.s. I'll have a look around for decent plugins for streaming to web browsers, if you know of any good ones, feel free to post them here and I'll edit my first post to include links.

Quicktime is one. VLC works sometimes.

Reactions: MetalDroid

HansiHusten

Dec 19, 2006
This sounds really great but I am kind of afraid of using it in my company network.
I really would like to run it 24/7 in my private network to have access all the time to the content, but as soon as I arrive at work my mobile connects to the company wifi and would share it there. Is there any kind of password protection or anything similar?
Yeah of course I could disabled it manually, but I am lazy and I bet I will forget it sometimes.. and I guess tasker is no option for this, is it?
Or do I get it wrong that this 'service' is also working when the mobile is in deep sleep?!

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
Sorry for not publishing an update yet, I will have to postpone it one more day.

I just gave the thumbnail galleries a really great performance boost, and I want to make sure it's stable enough before
releasing it..

This sounds really great but I am kind of afraid of using it in my company network.
I really would like to run it 24/7 in my private network to have access all the time to the content, but as soon as I arrive at work my mobile connects to the company wifi and would share it there. Is there any kind of password protection or anything similar?
Yeah of course I could disabled it manually, but I am lazy and I bet I will forget it sometimes.. and I guess tasker is no option for this, is it?
Or do I get it wrong that this 'service' is also working when the mobile is in deep sleep?!

Yeah, in the currently released version there's a setting for username and password authentication, and yes, once the server is activated it will run until it's manually closed, even if you restart the device. Next up for implementation is also a way to restrict which networks the server is allowed to run on.

Thank you all for testing and posting feedback so far.
I'll get back to work on the update and report back once it's complete.
Cheers

Reactions: HansiHusten

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
Version 1.02

So I just published version 1.02, but it might take a few hours before the update has propagated through all the google servers as usual.
Here's the latest additions:
Version 1.02
- Transfer files to your device, (You can also upload a zip and have it extracted once it has finished uploading)
- Rename files and folders
- Delete files and folders
- Create new folders
- Performance boost in the gallery views

So it's more and more starting to look like a file manager.

ToDo
- Multiple file uploads
- Restrict app from running on certain networks, and have it automatically start on others
- A *bonus feature* named QuickShare for those who purchased the ad-free version..
(I'm not much for limiting functionality, I'd rather like to add a few bonuses and helpful features for those who help me in return)

Please, report bugs and feature requests and post your feedback, and thanks again for your time.

jpeezy1986

Sep 17, 2011
Came in right when an update is going, about to try this out thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
Had another update going as mentioned above.. unfortunately both kids got the flue and chicken pox.. bahh I hate that things like this happens exactly the same time as me being in my most creative mood!

Anyway I expect to have the update ready in about a week, so post your bug reports now for me to be able to fix as much as possible!

Known issues:
- Not always restoring the scroll position after renaming a file/folder.
- Uploaded files doesnt show up in galleries immidiately.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda app-developers app

drraptor

Mar 9, 2012
Can't close the app, it restart again and again. Anyway I have mentioned it earlier.

Hope your kids get well soon. :)
Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
@drraptor, thanks, I've heard about "force close" but not of "refuse close", I'll have a look at it. :)

@deja_vu: Yeah, but use the ctrl key for multi selection. Shift key will be implemented in a couple of weeks, once I've straightened out a few other issues, dealing with navigation, but thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate it.

Thanks for all the helpfull feedback so far! Later, I'd better go and care for the critters, cheers!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda app-developers app

Reactions: drraptor

MetalDroid

May 26, 2010
Finally got some time to work on the update I spoke of earlier!

Version 1.04
- Fixed crash on Honeycomb devices
- Drag and Drop upload of files in Firefox and Chrome
- Drag and Drop Download of single files in Chrome
- Fixed invalid mime types
- Improved performance when starting server
- loads of minor fixes

Download from: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.droidstop.droidxplore

@drraptor, I hope to have fixed the issue with the app not closing, let me know otherwise and I'll investigate further.

So, I hope everyone enjoys the update,
cheers guys, and let me know of feature requests and bug reports! I'm off to investigate a few cool features I'd like implemented.

Reactions: drraptor

drraptor

Mar 9, 2012
Finally got some time to work on the update I spoke of earlier!

Version 1.04
- Fixed crash on Honeycomb devices
- Drag and Drop upload of files in Firefox and Chrome
- Drag and Drop Download of single files in Chrome
- Fixed invalid mime types
- Improved performance when starting server
- loads of minor fixes

Download from: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.droidstop.droidxplore

@drraptor, I hope to have fixed the issue with the app not closing, let me know otherwise and I'll investigate further.

So, I hope everyone enjoys the update,
cheers guys, and let me know of feature requests and bug reports! I'm off to investigate a few cool features I'd like implemented.

Downloading

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just published an early version of an app that allows you to browse and manage the contents on your device using just a webbrowser, the only requirement is that your device is connected to the same network as the computer or tablet you use to browse with.

The Video and Image galleries shows thumbnails, and if you have the correct plugins installed in your browser you can stream audio and video without downloading.

Here's a video clip featuring the web interface:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzFWsIsDY4

And here are two screenshots of the server app and the web based user interface
    main_starting_mini.png

imagebrowser_mini.png

Download from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.droidstop.droidxplore

If you decide to try it, please note that when you start the server it might take a while before the server is active, you will notice when notification icon "xp" is shown.

This is an early version, and if feedback shows it's worth it, I will implement ability to transfer files TO the device within a week.

I have only been able to test the app on an HTC Sensation with ICS, and an emulator running 2.2 so I can't guarantee it will work for everyone yet, just remember to send bug reports to me so I can fix all issues, if there are any.

Current features
    - Browse contents
    - View thumbnail galleries
    - Download and Upload files from and to your device.
    - Create folders, rename files and folders and delete stuff.

I would really appreciate feedback on this.
    Thanks for reading.

Suggested plugins for your browser to get streaming from your device working:
    Quicktime, http://www.apple.com/quicktime/?
    VLC Media Player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    Pretty decent and fast, but quite a bit of wasted space. Maybe you also also direct us to some of the plugins to enable video/audio playback in browser.
    Nice app.

Only Mp3 is being streamed. Even Mp4 starts downloading.

Quicktime is one. VLC works sometimes.