[Q] HUAWEI u8185 [Y100]

Search This thread

gougous3

Jan 11, 2013
Grettigs for all,i am gougous, [new][bie] on forum and android. My name is kelvin and i have a Huawei Ascend Y100 (u8185) with Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

[About Phone]
The phone is a bit weak on hardware issues, but still very good for me. And whenever a user buy a device, he want more things to do, more updates, etc. In we/my case, we want updates or custom OS, experienced people who have PSP or PS3 will understand what im saying. But my machine is one of those old (little used) and unhackable, as I saw it.
http://mjanja.co.ke/2012/07/proposal-project-mjanja/

[My Questions]
Iam not understanding nothing about flash, superuser, root on my device or things like that on my device. I would love it if you could explain to me how to do that things on my android system.

[About adding custom rom]
i find a project saying the Cyanogenmod (modified for u8185) working like a dream on u8185 but it stills no phone (no SMS, No 3g, No Wi-Fi, relating stuffs..) and i think the project maker stop working on that. I really, really, really, really, reallly want cyanogen on my phone and i think one of you PRO guys :laugh: can adapt a cyanogen or make a rom for u8185. - here, I think I'm being a bit cheeky :eek: but it's because I really ..... you know :laugh:

[Conclusion]
-I want know how to root / give root permission or flash my device (if you dont know, you can explain what i need to do in this tutorial : http://mjanja.co.ke/2012/11/clockworkmod-recovery-6-0-1-2-for-huawei-u8185/ )
-I want to know if you can make or adapt a cyanogenmod/rom for my device
-And other things, if you can help me
-I want to know if i can make a rom for my device following this tutorial : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801690

Thx you for reading and comment if you want help me or you are in my case :):victory:

Im always waiting for a reply :D

Last edited:

jollypaluani

Jan 12, 2013
Hi, I have rooted, flashed and tweaked my Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100) in this way:

HOW TO GET ROOTED, FLASH A CUSTOM ROM AND EXPAND INTERNAL MEMORY ON HUAWAI U8185 ASCEND Y100

_Start the cellphone. As Android operating system has started, access the "Settings" menu of Android, then choose "Applications" and go to "Development". Tick these: "USB Debugging", "Stay awake", "Allow mock locations".

_Switch your phone off. REMOVE its battery for 10 seconds at least, then reput the battery in place.

_Now start the phone in this way: press BOTH the power button and volume DOWN simultaneusly and hold them down, until the starting logo screen of your cellphone will be frozen and the cell will NOT be able to access Android (it will hang up: it's OK!). If for any reason you want to get outta this, just remove the battery and re-put it in place: your phone and Android will properly start again.

_Connect the phone to your computer by USB cable.

_Now you have to install proper drivers to let your computer communicate with your cell phone (if you are a Mac or Linux user, I can't describe this step because I don't use them): as soon as the USB cable is connected, Windows (Windows 7? I have tested it on Windows 7) will pop up a balloon at the bottom right corner of your computer screen, near the clock: it will say "Driver install failed" or something like that. Immediately left click on the balloon before it disappears: in the new window that will be appeared after clicking on the balloon, choose to automatically search online for new drivers, from Windows Update (you have to have your computer online). If you can't proceed, you might need to unplug and re-plug the USB into the computer (anyway, leave the phone frozen on the start up screen, as said before).

_Be patient and let Windows search the drivers online... and wait... wait... wait... (even 5 minutes). "Suddenly", the proper drivers (about 8MB) will start to be downloaded and installed by Windows.

_Now, keeping the USB plugged in, download this file: Flash.zip
w w w. mediafire. com/?c4tzndkef63h1qi
(rewrite this link properly - I have put some spaces in the links - because this forum doesn't allow me to post external links)

_Unzip it onto your desktop, then open the file named "Start here". You'll have a black window opened.

_In that black windows, write this:
fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod.img

_Wait... (just few seconds).

_When the process will be finished, in the black window write this:
fastboot reboot

_Wait the cellphone and Android normally restarting. As Android operating system has started, access the "Settings" menu of Android, then choose "Applications" and go to "Development". UN-tick this: "USB Debugging".

_Now download this onto your computer (it's a DE-BRANDED and ROOTED ROM for Huawei U8185 Ascend Y100). It means that it's like your original Huawei stock rom (=firmware), BUT WITHOUT BLOATWARE (=useless brand applications or apps: you will be able to choose by YOURself WHAT apps download from Google Play Store and install into your Android, saving a lot of internal memory!)

android. podtwo. com/roms/r0_de-branded_hwu8185-update-signed.zip
(rewrite this link properly - I have put some spaces in the link - because this forum doesn't allow me to post external links)
or
files. podtwo. com/roms/r0_de-branded_hwu8185-update-signed.zip
(rewrite this link properly - I have put some spaces in the link - because this forum doesn't allow me to post external links)

_Copy the above linked .zip file into your external SD card of your cellphone. DO NOT unzip it! Leave it zipped!

_Again, access the "Settings" menu of Android, then choose "Applications" and go to "Development". Tick this back: "USB Debugging".

_Unplug the USB of the phone from the computer, then switch your cell OFF and plug the USB back into the computer. As soon as you will have plugged the USB back into the computer, your cellphone will NOT start the Android operating system, but it will automatically start and access to a new menu (it's OK!).

_In that menu, select these three options, in order to clean THREE different cache in your cellphone - TIP: move the selection pressing volume up/down buttons, confirm selection pressing the central button (home button) of your phone, go back to the previous menu screen pressing back on your touchscreen -
(WARNING: you will lose all your data in the cellphone, except for the data stored in your external SD card):
1:Wipe (apps) cache (or someting like that, I don't remember well but you can't go wrong)
2:Wipe data/factory reset
3: Advanced options menu---> Wipe Dalvik cache

_Now, from the advanced options menu, go back to the main menu and select "Install (ROM) from zip file" (or something like that: again, you can't go wrong!) and select the zip file that you have previously copied into your external micro SD card.

_Wait for about 30 seconds to finish the installation of the rooted/debranded ROM (it's the zip file)

_Unplug the USB cable and restart the phone (select, in the menu, "Boot into Android" or something like that)

_Configure your new Android. Finally you are ROOTED and DEBRANDED!

_IMPORTANT NOTICE: when you want to copy/transfer any file from your computer into your external SD card of the phone, you'll have to UNtick "USB Debugging" in the "Settings/Applications" menu of Android, BUT when you are done to copy/transfer, TICK IT BACK otherwise you will NOT be able to have ROOT privileges. For normal use, keep it always ticked.

------------NOW YOU CAN ALSO CHOOSE TO INSTALL ALL YOUR APPS INTO THE EXTERNAL MICRO SD CARD BY DEFAULT. Infact the Huawei U8185 Ascend Y100 cell phone has a great limitation: a very small internal memory. You can work around this problem in this way:

_Shortly after having installed the new ROM and rooted your cellphone (see above), so you are sure that you haven't installed or moved any new app in the external SD card yet (because all your data in the external micro SD card will be erased), you can proceed as follows:

_Google and install this on your computer:
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

_UNtick "USB Debugging" and connect your phone to the computer by USB cable (the micro SD card have to be already inserted in the phone, of course).

_Start MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, click on your micro SD card icon on the right and in the leftside menu choose "DELETE PARTITION" to delete the micro SD card of your cellphone (be careful: you will see the local hard drive of your computer too!! Don't touch them!). You will lose ALL YOUR DATA STORED IN YOUR EXTERNAL MICRO SD CARD.

_You will get "unallocated space" in your micro SD card. Now: create one FAT 32 partition in your micro SD card. Its size have to be like this:
if your micro SD card is 2GB (total) ----> make a 1GB fat 32 partition
if your micro SD card is 4GB (total) ----> make a 2,5GB fat 32 partition
if your micro SD card is 8GB (total) ----> make a 6GB fat 32 partition
if your micro SD card is 16GB (total) ----> make a 13GB fat 32 partition

While creating the fat 32 partition, put as a "label" whatever you want (ie: call the fat 32 partition "Storage", or "Personal data", etc.)
Create as: PRIMARY partition
File System: FAT 32
Driver letter: don't touch/modify the value
Cluster size: don't touch/modify the value

_Now, create a second partition in your micro SD card:
Label: write what you want (ie: call it "Apps", or "Program files", etc.)
File System: EXT 2

_Finally, click on the top-left corner button called "Apply" of the MiniTool Partition Wizard's window: your micro SD card will be deleted, formatted and partitioned. Now it's ready.

_Unplug the USB of your cellphone, then TICK BACK "USB Debugging" in the "Settings/Applications" menu of Android, otherwise you will NOT be able to have ROOT privileges (never forget it!).

_In your cellphone, go to Google Play Store and download this app: "link2SD". Install it in your cell.

_Start link2SD and, when asked, choose your EXT 2 partition. If there any problem (ie: "link2SD can't get root privileges), simply close and restart link2SD, or even switch your phone off and restart it, then try again.

_After link2SD has started and working, you will see a list of your applications (apps) installed in your cell. Select one of them and, if allowed, push this button: "Link to SD card" (or something like that). Don't choose to MOVE to SD card or to freeze: I personally prefer to LINK them.

_If you want to uninstall any of your appllications, remember to do that using "link2SD" (don't uninstall them using the regular menu of Android).

_If you have "USB Debugging" unticket, link2SD will not be able to get root access!!!

_You can install hundreds new applications and immediately link them to your micro SD card, saving A LOT of space in the (very small) internal memory of Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100)!!

------------------------------

That's all. I've already done and successfully tested all of this stuff on two Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100): now they're working like a charm and I can do anything I want ("NOW" they're very functional and optimized!!).

----------------------------

I haven't ever tried to flash any cyanogenmodROM into the Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100) because, although they're very interesting custom ROMs, I don't know if they TOTALLY work properly on this Huawei phone (I have read somewhere that you camera may stop working, etc... I don't know... Anyway, any tester is welcome!).

---------------------------

Hope it helps - greetings from Italy
:highfive:

Last edited:

daquirm3

Dec 4, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for the tutorial a I followed it and everything works perfect. I would like to know though, if there's any other custom ROM for this device, like Cyanogenmod?
I had to switch to this device temporally because I have my primary phone RMAed, I have to say that the y100 offers great value for such low price.

jco83

Feb 14, 2013
drivers

hi :) i have a problem. when my computer searches for the drivers for it cannot find them :( can you help. is there somewhere i can download them? :D thankyou

jco83

Feb 14, 2013
sorted :D

Wow, after a lot of time ive completed this :D i discovered the drivers needed are waiting in the phone xD lol
i also experienced some problems getting the phone to recognise the sd card, but went through the formatting/partitioning process again and all fine B) thanks alot for the tutorial ;)

Octopus47

Apr 14, 2013
Blinking screen with smth and Blue Screen when touching after rooting

Hi,
followed the procedure you've described but after new rom was mounted, cell shows blue screen or white blinking smth. It does not recognized by computer. Have any idea how to fix it?

bmarubu

Apr 19, 2013
Unusual data usage

Thank you very much 4 your post about rooting and expanding the internal memory of the huawei ascend y100. Has helped me very much,,especially the memory part! There is a simple problem though. After I installed the 'Link2sD' app and linked some applications,,my phone data has started being used randomly and i cannot find the apps which are using the data unusually. Please help??? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sichil

Jun 15, 2013
done

i am newbie but i dit it, now got a different menu and apps like play, maps only.. and that dropdown menu from having shortcut to control wifi , bluetooth all gone !!..now how i customize that all. also menu was sliding type horizontally before, now its vertical... please help.

patrick nsengimana

Jul 2, 2013
thika
tryin to put cyanogen mod on huawei y100

Hi, I have rooted, flashed and tweaked my Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100) in this way:

HOW TO GET ROOTED, FLASH A CUSTOM ROM AND EXPAND INTERNAL MEMORY ON HUAWAI U8185 ASCEND Y100

_Start the cellphone. As Android operating system has started, access the "Settings" menu of Android, then choose "Applications" and go to "Development". Tick these: "USB Debugging", "Stay awake", "Allow mock locations".

_Switch your phone off. REMOVE its battery for 10 seconds at least, then reput the battery in place.

_Now start the phone in this way: press BOTH the power button and volume DOWN simultaneusly and hold them down, until the starting logo screen of your cellphone will be frozen and the cell will NOT be able to access Android (it will hang up: it's OK!). If for any reason you want to get outta this, just remove the battery and re-put it in place: your phone and Android will properly start again.

_Now you have to install proper drivers to let your computer communicate with your cell phone (if you are a Mac or Linux user, I can't describe this step because I don't use them): as soon as the USB cable is connected, Windows (Windows 7? I have tested it on Windows 7) will pop up a balloon at the bottom right corner of your computer screen, near the clock: it will say "Driver install failed" or something like that. Immediately left click on the balloon before it disappears: in the new window that will be appeared after clicking on the balloon, choose to automatically search online for new drivers, from Windows Update (you have to have your computer online). If you can't proceed, you might need to unplug and re-plug the USB into the computer (anyway, leave the phone frozen on the start up screen, as said before).

_Be patient and let Windows search the drivers online... and wait... wait... wait... (even 5 minutes). "Suddenly", the proper drivers (about 8MB) will start to be downloaded and installed by Windows.

(rewrite this link properly - I have put some spaces in the links - because this forum doesn't allow me to post external links)

_Unzip it onto your desktop, then open the file named "Start here". You'll have a black window opened.

fastboot reboot

_Wait the cellphone and Android normally restarting. As Android operating system has started, access the "Settings" menu of Android, then choose "Applications" and go to "Development". UN-tick this: "USB Debugging".

_Now download this onto your computer (it's a DE-BRANDED and ROOTED ROM for Huawei U8185 Ascend Y100). It means that it's like your original Huawei stock rom (=firmware), BUT WITHOUT BLOATWARE (=useless brand applications or apps: you will be able to choose by YOURself WHAT apps download from Google Play Store and install into your Android, saving a lot of internal memory!)

or

_Copy the above linked .zip file into your external SD card of your cellphone. DO NOT unzip it! Leave it zipped!

_Again, access the "Settings" menu of Android, then choose "Applications" and go to "Development". Tick this back: "USB Debugging".

_Unplug the USB of the phone from the computer, then switch your cell OFF and plug the USB back into the computer. As soon as you will have plugged the USB back into the computer, your cellphone will NOT start the Android operating system, but it will automatically start and access to a new menu (it's OK!).

_In that menu, select these three options, in order to clean THREE different cache in your cellphone - TIP: move the selection pressing volume up/down buttons, confirm selection pressing the central button (home button) of your phone, go back to the previous menu screen pressing back on your touchscreen -
(WARNING: you will lose all your data in the cellphone, except for the data stored in your external SD card):
1:Wipe (apps) cache (or someting like that, I don't remember well but you can't go wrong)

_Now, from the advanced options menu, go back to the main menu and select "Install (ROM) from zip file" (or something like that: again, you can't go wrong!) and select the zip file that you have previously copied into your external micro SD card.

_Wait for about 30 seconds to finish the installation of the rooted/debranded ROM (it's the zip file)

_Unplug the USB cable and restart the phone (select, in the menu, "Boot into Android" or something like that)

_IMPORTANT NOTICE: when you want to copy/transfer any file from your computer into your external SD card of the phone, you'll have to UNtick "USB Debugging" in the "Settings/Applications" menu of Android, BUT when you are done to copy/transfer, TICK IT BACK otherwise you will NOT be able to have ROOT privileges. For normal use, keep it always ticked.

------------NOW YOU CAN ALSO CHOOSE TO INSTALL ALL YOUR APPS INTO THE EXTERNAL MICRO SD CARD BY DEFAULT. Infact the Huawei U8185 Ascend Y100 cell phone has a great limitation: a very small internal memory. You can work around this problem in this way:

_Shortly after having installed the new ROM and rooted your cellphone (see above), so you are sure that you haven't installed or moved any new app in the external SD card yet (because all your data in the external micro SD card will be erased), you can proceed as follows:

_UNtick "USB Debugging" and connect your phone to the computer by USB cable (the micro SD card have to be already inserted in the phone, of course).

_Start MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, click on your micro SD card icon on the right and in the leftside menu choose "DELETE PARTITION" to delete the micro SD card of your cellphone (be careful: you will see the local hard drive of your computer too!! Don't touch them!). You will lose ALL YOUR DATA STORED IN YOUR EXTERNAL MICRO SD CARD.

_You will get "unallocated space" in your micro SD card. Now: create one FAT 32 partition in your micro SD card. Its size have to be like this:

While creating the fat 32 partition, put as a "label" whatever you want (ie: call the fat 32 partition "Storage", or "Personal data", etc.)

_Finally, click on the top-left corner button called "Apply" of the MiniTool Partition Wizard's window: your micro SD card will be deleted, formatted and partitioned. Now it's ready.

_Unplug the USB of your cellphone, then TICK BACK "USB Debugging" in the "Settings/Applications" menu of Android, otherwise you will NOT be able to have ROOT privileges (never forget it!).

_In your cellphone, go to Google Play Store and download this app: "link2SD". Install it in your cell.

_Start link2SD and, when asked, choose your EXT 2 partition. If there any problem (ie: "link2SD can't get root privileges), simply close and restart link2SD, or even switch your phone off and restart it, then try again.

_After link2SD has started and working, you will see a list of your applications (apps) installed in your cell. Select one of them and, if allowed, push this button: "Link to SD card" (or something like that). Don't choose to MOVE to SD card or to freeze: I personally prefer to LINK them.

_If you want to uninstall any of your appllications, remember to do that using "link2SD" (don't uninstall them using the regular menu of Android).

_If you have "USB Debugging" unticket, link2SD will not be able to get root access!!!

_You can install hundreds new applications and immediately link them to your micro SD card, saving A LOT of space in the (very small) internal memory of Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100)!!

That's all. I've already done and successfully tested all of this stuff on two Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100): now they're working like a charm and I can do anything I want ("NOW" they're very functional and optimized!!).

I haven't ever tried to flash any cyanogenmodROM into the Huawei U8185 (Ascend Y100) because, although they're very interesting custom ROMs, I don't know if they TOTALLY work properly on this Huawei phone (I have read somewhere that you camera may stop working, etc... I don't know... Anyway, any tester is welcome!).

is it possible to install cyanogenmod on my huawei Y100...

maximik1980

Feb 18, 2013
Minsk
having shortcut to control wifi , bluetooth etc.

i am newbie but i dit it, now got a different menu and apps like play, maps only.. and that dropdown menu from having shortcut to control wifi , bluetooth all gone !!..now how i customize that all. also menu was sliding type horizontally before, now its vertical... please help.
You just need to go to \data and look what you have in "custom.bin" (for ex. u have there «vip/en» . Then you have to go to \cust and you have to rename the folder you see there to «vip», and the folder within it in «en». After that you have to make «Factory reset». That might help with the status bar...
For more info go 4pda forum for u8186 using google translate, and you'll see there the cure :cyclops:

ovojan

Jul 2, 2011
Stock apps missing

Dear i ve rooted this phone after system reset half of my stock apps are gone like stock huawei weather or social network integration , is theer any way of returning them pls help.

JustCampMan

Oct 3, 2013

fastboot reboot

or

I tried Extending the storage but it didn't work. While creating a link, Link2sd says cannot create a (directory). Gives an I/O error

Reactions: wilsbf

wilsbf

Jan 10, 2014
Phone not able to boot any more

Your post was indeed helpful and I followed through well until the final stage after installing the (ROM) from zip file.

after that I did not choose install from android, I only forced it off and now I cant even boot back into the phone neither the power and Volume down key works.
What can I do rerun or have the phone boot back to normal?
I am completely shut out

Thanks for you help

maximik1980

Feb 18, 2013
Minsk
Back to stock / working ROM

What can I do rerun or have the phone boot back to normal?
I am completely shut out
Thanks for you help

If nothing helps (including restoring from a backup) and you can't load custom ROM and/or custom recovery, u can do the following steps:
1) Turn off your phone, eject your SD card from your phone
2) Download a stock ROM from Huawei Device site (just google it...)
3) Find the way to put this unziped ROM (UPDATE.APP or something like this) to your SD card. You need to create the folder "dload" on your SD and put the file *.app right there
4) Then insert your SD card into your phone
5) Press BOTH volume control keys ("+" and "-"), hold them and press POWER button
6) You'll see on your screen something like "Unpacking ROM.." and "Installing ROM".
7) Then your phone will reboot and u'll have a "virgin" stock Android 2.3.6 from Huawei

BE CAREFUL!!! Cause installing a stock ROM will kill any custom data in your phone. But nothing happens with SD card, don't be afraid... :cool:

wilsbf

Jan 10, 2014
Phone wont switch on either

Thank you for wanting to help,

The problem is that I am completely shut out, I cant use even the Power + Volume down keys, even the power button alone wont turn on the phone.
However, when I fix in the USB cable it will display on and off green icon...

maximik1980

Feb 18, 2013
Minsk
Thank you for wanting to help,

The problem is that I am completely shut out, I cant use even the Power + Volume down keys, even the power button alone wont turn on the phone.
However, when I fix in the USB cable it will display on and off green icon...

Try to pull out the battery, then plug the USB-cable and push the power button. The device has to turn on. Maybe something wrong with your battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot reboot

or

fastboot reboot

or

I tried Extending the storage but it didn't work. While creating a link, Link2sd says cannot create a (directory). Gives an I/O error