Got a live view today....(very smal review..)

Search This thread

Handy0

Dec 11, 2008
Thanks all for your info on this small device. This thread helped me decide on buying it.
I ordered mine and should receive it tomorrow morning. :)

gusmac

Oct 23, 2010
Good to hear it's functioning well. And as you guys say, future development with Apps could be promising.

I've had the MBW-150 watch with my previous Sony Ericsson mobiles. Very dissapointed that it doesn't work with X10 though :mad: . Currently in communication with SE about why it doesn't work, no answers yet though.

booyaga

Sep 18, 2010
This is one of those things that you think is a good idea, but far too early for release. I can promise you that you will all be wearing a 'LiveView' type device in five years time.... But the current version is really still on the geek/hacker level.

hmm having "logcat" running on the liveview, would be geeky, and usefull:)

Handy0

Dec 11, 2008
Just received my LiveView and I love it. :D
- Screen isn't as you would expect (a bit lo-rez) but that's ok.
- hard & soft keys are all easy to use
- device is fast and no issues with it so far
- downloaded 7 plug-ins that work for LiveView (all that's available in the market so far) will test them as soon as I fully charge the device.

Very dissapointed that it doesn't work with X10 though :mad: . Currently in communication with SE about why it doesn't work, no answers yet though.
For that my friend I'd suggest Open Watch (you can find it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=554551).
I also have MBW-100 which didn't work with my X1 or X10 until I started using OpenWatch which extend the functionality of the watch.

AntonyStark

Sep 7, 2010
can anyone confirm that the stock wrist strap can be replaced with custom one? :)

It can as the strap comes dismantled and you actually put the metal pins for the straps in yourself.

I wish I did, cos while wearing it on my forearm after the gym, it popped off whilst I was carrying something, landed on hard floor, screen cracked inside, no more liveview. (other than the crack the thing still actually functions)
Basically the liveview holder has no back so it can be pushed out from behind. ok if your arms are not moving or it is right on the top of your wrist.

Last edited:

azian_advanced

Dec 12, 2008
Calgary
The LiveView is smaller than expected, if anything it is too small and I wouldn't have complained if it was a little larger and 'styled' somewhat. It's the sort of thing that (and I hope SE have registered patents !!!) SonyEricsson could sell the LiveView module to a proper watch manufacturer like Seiko who could make something more stylish out of it. As it is, it is a small, square bit of plastic which performs some functions but is clearly capable of much more.

iirc Seiko specializes in analog (quartz) watches? in that case, the Sony Ericsson MBW-100/150/200 watches would probably be better for anyone looking for style/quality. personally i like the idea of the MN800 better and it's price range fits right in to what i think it's worth. i mean, i don't expect it do to much besides providing alerts/notifications and music playback control but i'm rather excited to see what plug-ins will be available for it. in fact i just ordered one online from the UK but probably won't arrive here in Canada til mid December. i wish i had taken more courses on Java since that is what the plug-ins runs on..

it would be nice to implement some GPS features like next-turn proximity alerts while walking/biking, or be able to remotely toggle between silent/vibrate/ring profiles on the phone, or even add Gmote or remote control functionality for controlling windows media center on the PC while watching a movie.

zygiboos

Oct 19, 2008
Zgierz
webmajster.eu
can anyone confirm that the stock wrist strap can be replaced with custom one?

I can conform that U can put a custom one,
it costs about 3-4€ in ordynary watchmaker's store (see attachments pic.)

Batery life is not so good like in MBW-150. About 2 days for me.

I can't wait until someone make a plugins like Timer with vibrations on end or plugin to change vibration scheme for calls and others. TXT reader from specified folder would be nice too :)

Attachments

• DSC_7385.jpg
    DSC_7385.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_7386.jpg
    DSC_7386.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

Gadgety

May 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Good to hear it's functioning well. And as you guys say, future development with Apps could be promising.

I've had the MBW-150 watch with my previous Sony Ericsson mobiles. Very dissapointed that it doesn't work with X10 though :mad: . Currently in communication with SE about why it doesn't work, no answers yet though.

It's compatible, just not with SE software. Get your Android compatible MBW-150free OpenWatch software from smartmadsoft.com. XDA profile moneytoo has created this software. It's well worth a donation.

Gadgety

May 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I can conform that U can put a custom one,
it costs about 3-4€ in ordynary watchmaker's store (see attachments pic.)

Batery life is not so good like in MBW-150. About 2 days for me.

I can't wait until someone make a plugins like Timer with vibrations on end or plugin to change vibration scheme for calls and others. TXT reader from specified folder would be nice too :)

Thanks for putting up the pictures!

pshdo

Jun 10, 2010
Holbæk
Have you managed to get RSS, Twitter, Facebook, and Calender to work ??

I found the answer myself:
Just give it time, and it will work...
It don't show eg. resent facebook updates like timescape do when you first connect, only new updates is showed, from the moment you start the app and forward...;-)
I was just used to the way timescape works, so it was odd when this product worked differently...:$

Last edited:

pshdo

Jun 10, 2010
Holbæk
Not well designed device...

When using the device as a watch, or paper clip on a clipboard, the notification led is actually pointing away from you, and not viewable at all...
It would have been perfect if it was in front of the device, or perhaps the buttom...

When using it as a watch, the charge connector is not avalible, you actually have to pull it out of the mounting holder to be able to charge...
It would have been better if the connector was placed on the side instead...

Other than that, it works fine...
It is perfect together with mw600 and the stock android musicplayer, or poweramp...
Funny thoug, that it don't integrate with Mediascape, sonyericsson's signature app...:-D

Sent from my Commodore 64, with Dolphin Dos B-)

Handy0

Dec 11, 2008
I installed few more plugins and so far most of them work:

Weather plugin: Works great by showing temperature in your current location (not only the city) in C & F.
Where Am I plugin: Shows your location in Google map. You can zoom out & in by using the softkeys up & down. nice & useful.
PowerAMP plugin: Works nicely while you can switch between track with left & right, and turn volume up & down.

SportyPal plugin: It only shows "Launch SportyPal from phone" and nothing happens even when the app is active on the phone!
OpenWatch plugin: Could get it to work. Only get the X icon on top of the plugin on the LV device.

So, anyone got the last 2 to work?

protorix

Apr 5, 2010
sportypal pro works, but you have to update the SE live view app.
and you have to register and get a trial version of it,.

Handy0

Dec 11, 2008
sportypal pro works, but you have to update the SE live view app.
and you have to register and get a trial version of it,.

I already had an account activated but still I wasn't able to get it connect.
But as you suggested, after a re-installation of the LiveView app it worked - Thanks!

On the other hand, anyone is facing frequent disconnection of LiveView?
I also noticed that it doesn't reconnect automatically like the MBW watch. Any setting to make it reconnect by itself when phone is in range?

pshdo

Jun 10, 2010
Holbæk
On the other hand, anyone is facing frequent disconnection of LiveView?
I also noticed that it doesn't reconnect automatically like the MBW watch. Any setting to make it reconnect by itself when phone is in range?

I have those disconnections from time to time, and it must be a software flaw that it do not auto-reconnect...

There are a few problems with the software i think.

1. It don´t automaticly start when you boot the phone.
2. It don´t automatic connect and re-connect.
3. It don´t use the player in Mediascape, but instead a default mediaplayer.

This device could be used for so many things, i just hope that S/E will continue to work on new features for it.

pshdo

Jun 10, 2010
Holbæk
OpenWatch plugin: Could get it to work. Only get the X icon on top of the plugin on the LV device.

You also need this for the plugin to work:
"Local OpenWatch MSG plugin"
and "Tasker" or "Locale"

It is a little dificult to setup anything usefull with this...:(

I have managed to get it to give me a warning when the phone go under 20% battery.
And a notification when i recive a K9 mail...

But tasker can do SO mutch more for you...
I need to look more on this before i decide if i want to buy it...
(I think that i have to have good use for a program in order to buy it, nomatter how cheap any app is...)

Last edited:

AntonyStark

Sep 7, 2010
Eh, is it possible that this is one more unfinished product by SE? Sry to hear you broke yours.

How about battery lasting?

Would be interesting to get app the uses liveview as shutter for camera :D

It is just poor design, obviously wanted to make it cheaper, so make it out of as little plastic as possible.

Batttery is hit and miss because of twitter, because of lots of updates the motor and the screen can drain the battery in nine hours, and de-selecting people on the Liveview app wasn't doing anything. But on normal use with just text messages and news updates and calls, in that 9 hours it wasn't even past 60%, it was like I just got it working right and then CRACK!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So folks,

today the sony ericsson live view arrived. It´s quite cheap in germany (42 euro).

The package contains:
    Live View
    Wrist strap
    Clip
    Charger (mini USB, also loads the phone it you want to!)
    Manuals

So the device is really smal and does what it promises.
    I read some bad reviews at amazon.de, but until now it does not seem to be as bad. The connection between the phone and the live view broke up when it was about 3 meters, so that´s OK so far (could be better).
    Reading SMS or the other stuff works.
    Sportypal Pro does not work. (that´s one of two released apps that have live view support)
    Instalation is easy, no problems there.

The clip has broken down after trying to release the live view for the second time.

Can´t say anything about battery life time until now.

But... I would say, thinking about future plugins for 3rd party apps, this litte device can be something really relly cool. I mean, if you have for example a OSM navigation app, that has live view support, you can easily fix that wrist strap on to the handlebar of your bike... and so on...

It also works as a remote for the music player (can be interesting on skies).
    But now a little question. What musicplayer is that (pic) ... This musicplayer has to be installed at the phone natively, but i have no link to open it...

Best regards

(sorry for that really bad english, but it´s very late, the day was very long)
    just got Live View this morning - actually, not for me, for my wife as she's got an X10. But since she's on T-mobile and they haven't issued their 2.1 update yet, we couldn't try it out on that device but did manage to do so on my HTC Desire.

First impressions of the box/presentations were pretty shoddy. For some reason here in the UK we were issued a 2-pin European plug (suggesting that etraders got their first batch from abroad) rather than a 3-pin one. Lucky I had an adapter at home. And it wasn't even in the box, it was just shoved in a bag in the mail package.

The accessories with the device are very plasticky. You get a wrist strap, a clip (to attach to pockets, bag handles etc) and a watch housing so you can attach it to the wrist strap. Actually getting the damn wrist strap/watch housing connected was very fiddly, took us about 20 minutes of messing around with little metal pins they supply to get it right. Again, why they couldn't have done this themselves is a mystery and making the customer do it is just frustrating.

First impressions of the device itself are decent, the calling/message notifications work well, the screen is large enough that you can read full text messages and you have the option to mute/reject calls when they come in.

Couple of annoying things: it does seem to lose its pairing fairly easily, maybe it's because we're using the Desire at the moment and not the X10 but I'm not sure. Also, the notification light (e.g. it flashes green if there is a message) doesn't last very long, just a few seconds, it would make more sense if it kept on flashing until you viewed the message.

Oh, one more annoying thing. If you lose the pairing, the watch can't show the time since it takes the time from the phone. My wife wouldn't mind using this as a watch as well, but she would need to have the phone with her all the time and paired up if that was the case. Again, not terribly practical.

there is potential though, the idea of plug-ins is a good one and hopefully there will be a lot of these to expand the functionality of the device.

Will write more once my wife's phone gets the update and is connected.
    is there gmail alerts?or just sms and calls?
    Anywhere up to 10 metres - in practice it is usually less than this and is influenced by environmental factors (walls, having it in your pocket etc).

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/specifications/liveviewmicrodisplay

You can have the device more than 10 metres away from your phone (where it will lose the connection but still retain the time unless you power it off) and it will attempt to reconnect when in range again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. (Hopefully the firmware update coming in January addresses the inconsistencies in recovering from disconnections).