Battery 0% - Unkown

Search This thread

miguelvs

Aug 17, 2012
Hi,

My battery info screen is always showing 0% - Unknown. I´ve tried different charging options but with no success.

The battery is charging and when I connect the Nexus 7 to the adapter/pc is says charging - 0% when locked.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: brmpfgl

dsalac

May 22, 2011
Had the same problem. It was not ROM specific. Even though the reading said 0 it was still charging normally (as far as I could tell).

I called Google (I bought my Nexus 7 from the Play Store) and they replaced it. I think that the battery sensor was bad.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

dsalac

May 22, 2011
Just to let everyone know I tried both that app and clearing battery sats in CWM, neither did anything. I even ran it dead and then fully charged with no change. The OP may have a different problem but in my case I definitely think it was a hardware sensor issue.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

chriscardinal

Feb 5, 2010
Um, weird, I came home after leaving my tablet on my desk all day at home, with about 35% battery.

It was dead. Like really dead. Dead dead. I don't know if it should've run down 35% totally idle; I'd left it for 3 days before without a problem.

Now when I plugged it in, it turned straight on. Google Screen -> Lock Screen. No colored X.

Showed 0% for 10 minutes. The battery graph was especially weird. For one thing, it had locked the stats and showed as still on battery basically. For another, it showed going from the low end of green to instantly dropping to 0%, red. Unplugged it, and it died instantly.

I'm letting it charge now with it off. Quick power button press shows the charging indicator thing.

I actually have an RMA out for this one for the touch screen issues, so it doesn't matter, but still... weird.

Sim2

Mar 24, 2011
battery sensor/calibration issues

Old thread but I thought I'd add to it for other people with the same problem.

I have basically have the same issue on a stock, rooted 16GB Nexus 7. It's highly intermittent.

It first reared it's head about a month after I got the device (in Aug 2012), on the original firmware. My nexus 7 wouldn't (appear to) charge past 25% and would shut itself off after being on for only a few hours. I spent a day trying to fix it, including wiping the device, but nothing worked. Then magically, a few days later, the problem was gone.

The Nexus 7 worked fine for another month or so and then one day, after having charged it for several hours, I noticed that it was reporting a 0% charge. (Firmware was still stock but had been updated) This time it didn't power off, it just misreported it's charge. I could still run it for 10 hours or so, even though it said that it had a 0% charge and that I should connect the charger. I tried the "battery calibrator" mentioned in this thread which didn't seem to work but the next day, the device reported it had a charge. It's been randomly fluctuating between reporting 0% and a having charge every since. Sometimes it works fine for several days but then it will say 0% again.

It hasn't really affected my use of the device but it can be inconvenient not knowing how much charge you have left. Today I finally called Google and explained the problem and they promptly offered to exchange it. Hopefully this is not a design flaw but a faulty component from bad batch..

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
There's more than a good bit of bad advice in this thread. That anyone would waste people's time by recommending a ”battery calibration” app or to wipe battery stats is disheartening, as it is widely known that they have no correlation to battery indication.

More often than not, it seems, this problem with the N7 involves the battery connector not being properly seated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: yofa42

fullmetal509

Jul 12, 2010
Wenatchee
Google Pixel 7
I'm also having a similar problem, though when my nexus 7 completely dies from the battery I plug in and right away power back up and when it comes to the home screen with 0-1% charge it right away powers down. I tried leaving it off while pluged in let it charge for 5 mins and then power back up again till I see it have a minimum amount of charge, it seems to work not sure if its ROM or kernel related, I'll keep an eye on it.

There's a helpful article that seems to help other nexus 7 users, hope this helps
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/

Via Galaxy Nexus [LTE]

dudung0

Dec 29, 2011
I have the same problem with my nexus 7 3g.
Factory reset does not help.
Finally open the back cover (quite easy) and found that the battery cable connector is loose. So I tightened and my tablet is well again.
Hope this help.

ynrozturk

Oct 11, 2012
Istanbul
Yeah what worked for me was to also unplug my battery. Seemed to correct itself after that. Mine would shut off showing a charge of 60%.

atistang

Feb 1, 2010
Finally open the back cover (quite easy) and found that the battery cable connector is loose. So I tightened and my tablet is well again.
Hope this help.

Does the back just unsnap like a regular battery door?

scottx .

I have issues sometimes. Like the other night it charged all night and when I woke up it was fine, turn off the alarm on it and had breakfast. Came back and it wouldn't come on. Tried all I could without taking it apart. Ended up removing the back cover, unplugging the battery for ten seconds and then it worked fine. Battery was at 100% once it booted up.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Does the back just unsnap like a regular battery door?

Use your fingernail to get between it and the chassis. It pops off pretty easy. Just be careful. I'm sure YouTube has a few videos showing it.

jpavezv

Mar 31, 2013
Nexus 7 - Battery 0% Unkown.

Hope this help.

Hi.. I Have the same model and I had the same problem...

I made the turn off method (https://plus.google.com/+DerekRoss/posts/563EVVEPMDS) and did not work...
I rooted my Nexus to calibrate the Battery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1838429) and did not work.

But the in my case the most simple solution works :) : Unplug /plug the Battery (http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/Knrn4DThksg/ovuWYHUytZ0J).

Show this video about how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjh0H6SZHRM&list=PLBGUp1nK51h0Zyb2wIJjIhtTVQKyfj4BB&feature=mh_lolz

I hope have luck

bye.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

My battery info screen is always showing 0% - Unknown. I´ve tried different charging options but with no success.

The battery is charging and when I connect the Nexus 7 to the adapter/pc is says charging - 0% when locked.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    There's more than a good bit of bad advice in this thread. That anyone would waste people's time by recommending a ”battery calibration” app or to wipe battery stats is disheartening, as it is widely known that they have no correlation to battery indication.

More often than not, it seems, this problem with the N7 involves the battery connector not being properly seated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD