[Q] Samsung galaxy SIII hard bricked will not boot but ODIN can recognize it

Search This thread

saeedco

May 31, 2011
Samsung galaxy SIII hard bricked will not boot no power, but ODIN 1.85 can recognize it, (not the new Odins), when I try to re-flash it with Odin I get stuck at setupConnection..
any help? can I use the small USB mod

Attachments

• SIII.jpg
    SIII.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

chubby1_8888

Apr 30, 2010
i have the same problem i used the Odin3 v1.85 and installed CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4 zip but it failed. so then i tried to reboot it and said firmware update encountered an issue and something else. then i looked up how to unbrick and the post said to downloaded the zip CF-Insecure-SGS3_XX_NEE_ALE8-v1.2 and used Odin to install now i got nothing but a black screen buy it will go into download mode and Odin read it

zoth

Nov 13, 2009
TEXAS
i have the same problem i used the Odin3 v1.85 and installed CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4 zip but it failed. so then i tried to reboot it and said firmware update encountered an issue and something else. then i looked up how to unbrick and the post said to downloaded the zip CF-Insecure-SGS3_XX_NEE_ALE8-v1.2 and used Odin to install now i got nothing but a black screen buy it will go into download mode and Odin read it

If I'm not wrong ODIN uses TAR files and not ZIP files. Try unziping and see if there is a TAR file if there is then thats what you have to use in ODIN.

Kevinreid1

Oct 20, 2010
Same as OP's phone

Sprint s3 flash pacman JB and google apps the went to reboot recovery ask to reflash su yes phone powered off and no coming back on Odin does detect it on com05 when I plug it in but anything I try to do just says waiting on connection, will not go into recovery or download modes. is there anything I can do to fix it? kies or anything? and I edited the updater scripts to be able to flash pacman because every rom I tried would fail with error 7............ please help :confused:

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Sprint s3 flash pacman JB and google apps the went to reboot recovery ask to reflash su yes phone powered off and no coming back on Odin does detect it on com05 when I plug it in but anything I try to do just says waiting on connection, will not go into recovery or download modes. is there anything I can do to fix it? kies or anything? and I edited the updater scripts to be able to flash pacman because every rom I tried would fail with error 7............ please help :confused:

Do you get a message when you plug it into your computer? Does the red LED turn on? Editing the scripts is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing!

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
followed the guides about it just removed from top to quotes dealing with checking versions of device.
I'm not saying that was the problem or that you did it wrong, but maybe the ROM was forced to flash and was truly not compatible or was corrupt, bricks are highly likely to occur in this case

Kevinreid1

Oct 20, 2010
I'm not saying that was the problem or that you did it wrong, but maybe the ROM was forced to flash and was truly not compatible or was corrupt, bricks are highly likely to occur in this case

The roms I have downloaded are supposed to be for Sprint s3 I was running stock JB 4.3 if that makes any difference, any help on what to do know, thinking of trying the unbrick mmc card trick .... idk what else to do... thanks : ) and something went wrong somewhere for sure... lol I also found out my exact model number if that helps. SPH-L710MBBSPR again thanks for you responses..

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Ok, a few things I noticed....

1. You are using a very old version of Odin. I recommend only using 3.07 or 3.09.

2. The COM port box is yellow, which probably was trying to caution you about something.

3. You have a Sprint model S3. This is the T-Mobile S3 forum.

4. You have a Sprint S3, but were trying to flash old T999 firmware! This simply will not work, and if it were to flash, insta-brick!

What you need to do is start using the Sprint forums. Only flash items you find in those forums, and nothing else. While some of our roms might flash and boot on yours, they will never function very well. This is one of the things the asserts in an updater script are intended to protect against.

Finally, just a bit of posting advice. Please use proper punctuation. Small mistakes are ok, but posting with no punctuation at all just makes it difficult for people to read, and many will just close the thread and move to the next without bothering to help.

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Oops! Just realized the pic in the op wasn't yours! But still, theyre all good points you should check before flashing. Also make sure kies is uninstalled or disabled on your computer.
But most importantly, you need to be in the Sprint forums. We can help a bit here, but you need to ONLY use stuff from your devices forum. And a lot of it we simply may not be familiar with.
Good luck!

Kevinreid1

Oct 20, 2010
Ok, a few things I noticed....

1. You are using a very old version of Odin. I recommend only using 3.07 or 3.09.

2. The COM port box is yellow, which probably was trying to caution you about something.

3. You have a Sprint model S3. This is the T-Mobile S3 forum.

4. You have a Sprint S3, but were trying to flash old T999 firmware! This simply will not work, and if it were to flash, insta-brick!

What you need to do is start using the Sprint forums. Only flash items you find in those forums, and nothing else. While some of our roms might flash and boot on yours, they will never function very well. This is one of the things the asserts in an updater script are intended to protect against.

Finally, just a bit of posting advice. Please use proper punctuation. Small mistakes are ok, but posting with no punctuation at all just makes it difficult for people to read, and many will just close the thread and move to the next without bothering to help.

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Oops! Just realized the pic in the op wasn't yours! But still, theyre all good points you should check before flashing. Also make sure kies is uninstalled or disabled on your computer.
But most importantly, you need to be in the Sprint forums. We can help a bit here, but you need to ONLY use stuff from your devices forum. And a lot of it we simply may not be familiar with.
Good luck!

Thank you.. I knew I was in the wrong forum and that is why I said my s3 was a Sprint device... My problem however was the same exact problem. I got it fixed with file from another forum, while follow info from yet another forum, the file that worked for me was HomefixSprint_S3_L710.img the debrick_sph_l710.img would not work for me. I used win32diskimager and burned .img file to class 10 32gb card, stuck it in went in to download mode and used odin to write firmware file... Anyway back up any running.. I didn't download any t-mobile roms or anything that wasn't for the Sprint S3, what I did do was try and load an older JB rom that was under V4.3, it wasn't that long ago when a person could flash any android version one wished, it looks like Samsung is getting as bad as Apple you can move up but not back. Any tips on how to safely downgrade? Anyway thanks for taking the time to respond. : ) Cause no one has in the Sprint S3 forum yet.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
it wasn't that long ago when a person could flash any android version one wished, it looks like Samsung is getting as bad as Apple you can move up but not back. Any tips on how to safely downgrade?

No, Samsung is not turning into apple, there is a reason you cannot downgrade from a Knox bootloader. And to downgrade, with this device we can just flash an older ROM and it will work, maybe its different with the Sprint variant? Try to search in their forums if you haven't already

Reactions: Kevinreid1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it wasn't that long ago when a person could flash any android version one wished, it looks like Samsung is getting as bad as Apple you can move up but not back. Any tips on how to safely downgrade?

No, Samsung is not turning into apple, there is a reason you cannot downgrade from a Knox bootloader. And to downgrade, with this device we can just flash an older ROM and it will work, maybe its different with the Sprint variant? Try to search in their forums if you haven't already