How to Open PWI FIle on Windows XP

Search This thread

6pacman

Jun 4, 2006
Open Windows Mobile .pwi files on Windows XP, with INK!

I finally found a complete solution, albeit a somewhat weighty one, to opening .pwi files on my Windows XP PC. Your decision to download the emulator and then install a fair size install, will ultimately depend on how bad you want to see them pesky little drawings you made days/months/years ago.

I downloaded and installed the WM v6.5 emulator SDK from here (225Mb)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=20686a1d-97a8-4f80-bc6a-ae010e085a6e

Once installed, run the desired emulator from program list (VGA for me).

Then I discovered (after more research) I needed to have a folder on XP that was accessible from the WM6 emulator, within which to place the .pwi file to be viewed.

In the emulator go File > Configure and at the bottom of the General tab "Shared folder", browse for a folder on your XP machine to share. This folder is then accessed via the root directory of the emulated WM6 as folder "Storage Card" in Window Mobile File Explorer.

Viola! I can now open/edit/save .pwi files as if the were on my XP machine.

Thanks for being a massive time vampire M$. Notes suck.

Enjoy. ( -;þ

Ling1973

Mar 29, 2011
Solution found to converting .pwi files to word

I'm no computing boff, but I found a simple solution that worked for me using Word 2007.

1) Open Word 2007.
2) Then select File, Open. Make sure "All files" is selected and then select the .pwi file from it's location. Once the file is selected, THEN VERY IMPORTANTLY instead of "All files", select from the drop down menu "Recover Text from any file", and then hit Open.
3) The proceed to clean up the document from any strange or weird characters that might be present. At the end of each line, I was getting a strange character. I highlighted it, and then used the "Find" function in Word to find the same repeating character within the document, and then deleted them in one go.

Please let me know if this helped anyone else. I tried this using Word 2003 and it works also.

Last edited:
Reactions: moaminlari

cherrywrc

Jan 31, 2010
i finally found a complete solution, albeit a somewhat weighty one, to opening .pwi files on my windows xp pc. Your decision to download the emulator and then install a fair size install, will ultimately depend on how bad you want to see them pesky little drawings you made days/months/years ago.

I downloaded and installed the wm v6.5 emulator sdk from here (225mb)

once installed, run the desired emulator from program list (vga for me).

Then i discovered (after more research) i needed to have a folder on xp that was accessible from the wm6 emulator, within which to place the .pwi file to be viewed.

In the emulator go file > configure and at the bottom of the general tab "shared folder", browse for a folder on your xp machine to share. This folder is then accessed via the root directory of the emulated wm6 as folder "storage card" in window mobile file explorer.

Viola! I can now open/edit/save .pwi files as if the were on my xp machine.

Thanks for being a massive time vampire m$. Notes suck.

Enjoy. ( -;þ

works great! Finally working solution! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
Lastest FileFormatConverters extension from Microsoft works OK with MS Office XP it will open .pwi files directly into MS Word (though the sketches are a bit messed up ! :D).

MS Office 2010 is supposed to open .pwi files (but I didn't try : I don't own a licence, and hate the new top bar setup anyway).

Last edited:

noe lv

Mar 4, 2011
Just install ActiveSync 4.5

Maybe this is simpler

Just install ActiveSync 4.5

Then Word (office 2003 or 2007) would open the pwi files

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Open Windows Mobile .pwi files on Windows XP, with INK!

I finally found a complete solution, albeit a somewhat weighty one, to opening .pwi files on my Windows XP PC. Your decision to download the emulator and then install a fair size install, will ultimately depend on how bad you want to see them pesky little drawings you made days/months/years ago.

I downloaded and installed the WM v6.5 emulator SDK from here (225Mb)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=20686a1d-97a8-4f80-bc6a-ae010e085a6e

Once installed, run the desired emulator from program list (VGA for me).

Then I discovered (after more research) I needed to have a folder on XP that was accessible from the WM6 emulator, within which to place the .pwi file to be viewed.

In the emulator go File > Configure and at the bottom of the General tab "Shared folder", browse for a folder on your XP machine to share. This folder is then accessed via the root directory of the emulated WM6 as folder "Storage Card" in Window Mobile File Explorer.

Viola! I can now open/edit/save .pwi files as if the were on my XP machine.

Thanks for being a massive time vampire M$. Notes suck.

Enjoy. ( -;þ
    Solution found to converting .pwi files to word

I'm no computing boff, but I found a simple solution that worked for me using Word 2007.

1) Open Word 2007.
    2) Then select File, Open. Make sure "All files" is selected and then select the .pwi file from it's location. Once the file is selected, THEN VERY IMPORTANTLY instead of "All files", select from the drop down menu "Recover Text from any file", and then hit Open.
    3) The proceed to clean up the document from any strange or weird characters that might be present. At the end of each line, I was getting a strange character. I highlighted it, and then used the "Find" function in Word to find the same repeating character within the document, and then deleted them in one go.

Please let me know if this helped anyone else. I tried this using Word 2003 and it works also.