Guide - Get s-off on 1.31 HTC One (Sprint) Update:

Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Hello, here is a very simple guide to be able to use revone to s-off on the 1.31 update.

Make sure you have dev unlocked and you flashed a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP both work fine)

After that, you need to make sure adb works (if you can't figure out how to do any of this, I will not help you. If you can't find out basic things about Android, then you shouldn't have s-off)

So, as we all know, HTC has made it so with newer bootloaders, you cannot downgrade to older firmwares. Well, this is true except when the software version changes but the hboot version doesn't. So all we need to do is this:

Boot into recovery

adb shell
echo "1.29.651.10" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

then just flash an RUU of 1.29 and it'll work out. All you do is flash the misc partition to contain the proper mainver and it works.

Last edited:

bleichtman

Jul 26, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hello, here is a very simple guide to be able to use revone to s-off on the 1.31 update.

Make sure you have dev unlocked and you flashed a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP both work fine)

After that, you need to make sure adb works (if you can't figure out how to do any of this, I will not help you. If you can't find out basic things about Android, then you shouldn't have s-off)

So, as we all know, HTC has made it so with newer bootloaders, you cannot downgrade to older firmwares. Well, this is true except when the software version changes but the hboot version doesn't. So all we need to do is this:

Boot into recovery

adb shell
echo "1.29.651.10" | dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160
adb reboot bootloader

then just flash an RUU of 1.29 and it'll work out. All you do is flash the misc partition to contain the proper mainver and it works.

Flash an ruu.zip or can it be ruu.exe also? Should revone be done after the ruu?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

ThePhoneGeek

May 13, 2012
An Undisclosed Location
So I didn't see this post but did something slightly different and it worked perfect.

Unlocked the bootloader via HTCdev
pushed TWRP for Sprint
Flashed SuperSu

Then followed the revone instructions particularly step 3 su (and going onto the device to grant access.) and everything worked perfect and never had to downgrade from 1.31.

MG

Reactions: fachadick

enmriley

Mar 11, 2009
Indirect... you saved many a phones. I have been searching for this and read many a post where people were scrambling (not necessarily for s-off, but the fact that they relocked the bootloader and could not run the 1.29 RUU. I encountered the same thing but just unlocked again and flashed my stock nandroid. Thanks!

If I run just...
Boot into recovery
adb shell
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock
then just flash an RUU of 1.29

Does that leave me with a stock build and s-on? In the event I had to part with the One, etc.

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007

Kind of related thing happened to me, what do I make of this?

I was S-OFF, but with the newest firmware and custom ROM, TWRP installed.

I did the fastboot oem lock, then RUU'ed back to OMJ's straight up stock Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_1.29.651.10_RUU.zip

Once that got booted up I went ahead and did the system update to 1.31.

NOW, when I go into bootloader it says "relocked" up top, but says S-OFF. S-OFF?!? Didn't I relock it and RUU?

Also, when I try to enter recovery, all I get is a phone with a red triangle above it.

plegrand

Mar 22, 2013
Kind of related thing happened to me, what do I make of this?

I was S-OFF, but with the newest firmware and custom ROM, TWRP installed.

I did the fastboot oem lock, then RUU'ed back to OMJ's straight up stock Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_1.29.651.10_RUU.zip

Once that got booted up I went ahead and did the system update to 1.31.

NOW, when I go into bootloader it says "relocked" up top, but says S-OFF. S-OFF?!? Didn't I relock it and RUU?

Also, when I try to enter recovery, all I get is a phone with a red triangle above it.

When you RUU, it doesn't turn the security back on, hence the S-Off still. However, it does put the stock recovery back on, which is why it has the phone with the red triangle. If you want S-On, you can flash the Stock H-boot, or use Revone to make it say locked instead of relocked and say S-On (I believe it can do that, although I'm not entirely sure.) As for recovery, just re-flash twrp in fastboot.

Edit: "Fastboot OEM lock" doesn't mess with security at all. It just re-locks the bootloader.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda premium

enmriley

Mar 11, 2009
If I am S-on and want a factory recovery, can a stock recovery be flashed in fastboot once back to 1.31?

enmriley

Mar 11, 2009
Yes.

Thanks. one more question on this topic. The recovery (or screen) with the red triangle will flag a problem with Sprint right? I assumed the RUU didn't flash the stock recovery when I saw this. I am trying to get around the screen with the red triangle. Will flashing a stock recovery replace this? If not can you provide guidance on doing so after the 1.29 RUU is flashed as described in the OP?

plegrand

Mar 22, 2013
Thanks. one more question on this topic. The recovery (or screen) with the red triangle will flag a problem with Sprint right? I assumed the RUU didn't flash the stock recovery when I saw this. I am trying to get around the screen with the red triangle. Will flashing a stock recovery replace this? If not can you provide guidance on doing so after the 1.29 RUU is flashed as described in the OP?

What? The red triangle means you booted into recovery but something went wrong, either there's no update to flash or something like that. Are you trying to now update to 1.31 after the 1.29 RUU?

enmriley

Mar 11, 2009
No, I went through the process defined in the OP to return to stock executing a 1.29 RUU. This seemed to work fine. I then received the OTA update to 1.31. After refusing the update several times I accepted it. I didn't go into recovery before accepting the OTA update (not sure that would matter but it would have identified the red triangle apart from the 1.31 uodate) Now when I boot to recovery I get the red triangle where I was expecting to see the stock boot menu.

chriswbush

Dec 1, 2011
California
so i ran the echo command and get seek 1seek64 failed am i in the clear to flash the ruu or what should i do kind of scared to move away from recovery

it worked xD thanks dude

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Boot into recovery

adb shell
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem lock

This will still work if you happened to take the 3.05.651.5 or 3.05.651.6 OTA. I don't think Rumrunner will work with 3.05.651.5 or 3.05.651.6. I have not seen any reports saying it did.
    Pre-requisite:
    Same as this OP(refer to post 1) unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery and
    ***You MUST have hboot 1.55***
    I take no responsibility if you try this with hboot 1.44 and you brick your phone. You can however flash the Full Unmodified Firmware (follow the instructions in the thread to do so) that will update your hboot to 1.55

Change this:
    Code:

To this:
    Code:
    echo "3.04.651.2" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160
    ^^^^ copy and paste so there are no typos ^^^^

Note after running the echo command it will say failed in the cmd window...this is normal

Follow the rest of the instructions from post 1
    Run the 3.04.651.2 RUU
    Profit :D

Thanks @nickmilla15 and @Kdenery for having the stones to try and confirming it worked :D
    I have installed this universal driver after uninstalling the previous one that came with HTC Sync (I uninstalled Sync already) yet I type in ADB Shell and it gives me "error: device not found". I am rooted and do have TWRP installed. What in the world am I doing incorrect here. This isn't my first, second nor third foray into a new Android.

I just s-off/rooted a buddie's device over Remote Desktop for Chrome lastnight and before even getting started, I installed drivers that I know work for us. Download this zip http://mrrogers1.org/PPC Utilities/HTC_drivers_Win7_x64.zip (assuming you are on W7 x64) and extract to a new folder. Plug your phone in and then go into the Device Manager on the computer, find the "Android Phone" in the list and right click, update drivers and navigate to the folder with the new drivers. Update them, unplug the phone, restart the computer (and phone for good measure) and then when the laptop comes back up, plug your phone in. You should see a prompt that it's installing drivers.

Secondly, I know this isn't your first, second nor third foray but I want to make sure you have actually used ADB with one, two or all three of those previous forays. Reason being, you need more than just the phone and drivers to use ADB. If you have not, I have little ADB setup all packaged I'll share with you that makes it ridiculously easy to get ADB going. (Easy as in double click on cmd.exe to open command window and start going with your commands)

Good luck
    oh im bricked i can only access boot loader and recovery

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Think i'll hang up the towel no matter what adb can't connect ill just have to get a cheap android for awhile and give up on the rooting game its gotten way too difficult since the older devices for me thanks for the help though

Message me and I'll save your device.

Sent from my hidden jewel
    Yea, I'm reading this on my tab and typing on my comp. I'll try it that way

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Tried with the copy and paste , and its still not working. I try to adb reboot and it says "not found."

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try some more tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Get the naked HTC drivers
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2263822

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app