Otterbox Commuter vs. Trident Aegis (pics)

Search This thread

Rememo

Jul 14, 2011
I thought I'd start a new thread so the photos wouldn't get lost in one of the other case threads. I received the Aegis today. My wife and I both have the Charge and I bought Commuters for both, so I was able to install the Aegis on my phone and take comparison photos for those of you wondering about the differences.

I have to thank moondrius again, since I believe he was the first to post information about the Aegis, which lead me to purchase it instead of waiting for the Kraken 2.

Aegis:

Dislikes: More difficult to put on the phone than the Commuter. If you plan on swapping batteries often I wouldn't recommend this case. Lack of protection for the hard buttons. Silicon port covers are a bit harder to open than on the Commuter.

Likes: The grip coating on the hard case. The hard case support on the top of the phone. Extra protection on corners of phone. Cover over speaker.

Notes: While the grip coating makes it slightly more difficult to slide in and out of a pocket, the flares at the top of the phone make it easy to grab when you need to remove it from a pocket. A nice little design feature. The Aegis DOES have a cover for the HDMI port. I'm not sure what the holes are for on the back of the Aegis. Heat dissipation perhaps?

Commuter:

Dislikes: Silicon easily separates from the top of the phone when phone is grabbed from the top. Hard case is slippery, so it slides off of sloped surfaces and can slip from your hand.

Likes: Hard button coverage, although dust and dirt could still migrate under the protected area. Silicon port covers are easier to open than on the Aegis. It's a bit easier to slide in and out of a pocket. Case is relatively easy to install on the phone.

Notes: The Commuter is a more svelte case than the Aegis. The Commuter DOES NOT have a cover over the HDMI port.

On to the photos (the green case is the Trident Aegis). Sorry that they're a bit out of focus, my eyes were tired right after work. I also apologize for the hair and dust, but with six furry beasts running around, keeping the phones hair free is impossible.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Height.jpg

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

RightSide.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

ButtonCoverage.jpg

Commuter silicon can separate from top of phone.
OBTopSlack.jpg

Last edited:

Smitty9803

Oct 19, 2010
Great side by side comparison! I'll be getting one of these within the next week after I make a decision. Thanks for taking the time to make the write-up.

zeuswsu

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for this. This confirms that I won't be buying the otterbox for sure, since I hate hard plastic. I like my current Incipio, case but the trident case looks like a good alternative.

xceebeex

Dec 16, 2010
I have a quick question about the Commuter case. It looks like there is no way for the baclights for the buttons to shine through the case, is that correct? I really like the looks of the Commuter case but I am trying to figure out if covering the backlights is worth it.

Rememo

Jul 14, 2011
I have a quick question about the Commuter case. It looks like there is no way for the baclights for the buttons to shine through the case, is that correct? I really like the looks of the Commuter case but I am trying to figure out if covering the backlights is worth it.

You are correct. The hard buttons are completely covered, so no back-lighting will come through.

xceebeex

Dec 16, 2010
You are correct. The hard buttons are completely covered, so no back-lighting will come through.

That is what I was afraid of. I really like the Commuter and it would probably be the perfect case for me if the backlights were visible. I am not sure if I am sold on the Aegis. It looks a little too big and with the plugs being harder to open it might get annoying.

I like the Incipio Silicrylic case as well, but that one has no HDMI cutout which is kinda strange. Not sure what to do at this point, but great review!

Last edited:

elucid

Jun 5, 2011
My Otterbox commuter came in the mail yesterday. Here are my thoughts:
1) The Otterbox was super easy to install and looks nice. I like how the Samsung logo is covered because of the continutity of black.
2) Wow, this is a a chunky case! It is much thicker than I thought it would be. I definately wouldn't want a thicker case.
3) On the other hand, this looks extremely sturdy (One guy dropped his on off his bike going 75mph and the phone was fine). I'm not surprised.
4) The bottom physical buttons are covered but still have a really good feel to them (possibly better than having them not covered). However, at night I will have to get used to the positions. I was surprised how I instinctively knew where the buttons go without looking anyways.
5) Plugs and other buttons are easy to access. On button is actually easier to press now.
6) Slides in an out of my pocket with ease.
7) Decent grip in my hand

Overall I'm pretty happy. It was chunkier than I thought from looking at the pictures, but it also looks a lot more solid. It has a much better hand feel without feeling bulky in my pocket.

Last edited:

xceebeex

Dec 16, 2010
I almost went with the Aegis, but after looking at a video review of it, I decided against it because the case looks HUGE, plus in the video they said that it almost doubles the weight of the phone. I think I have only dropped a phone like 3 times in my life so I don't need some huge case to protect my phone.

I like everything about the Commuter other than the cover over the buttons. I like to be able to feel the buttons and have the backlight (especially once we get BLN support in future ROMs). So I decided against the Commuter as well.

I ended up going with the Incipio Silicrylic case. The Incipio would probably be the PERFECT case if it had the cutout for the HDMI port, but since I don't have any plans to use the HDMI port in the near future I don't think it will bother me at all. I should have my case in a few days so hopefully I like it.

ellisz

Oct 10, 2010
I am guessing that none of these cases are easy to remove? I seem to be swapping batteries a lot lately and would need to remove the case on occasion.

moondrius

Jun 4, 2010
Baltimore
The Kraken II looks easy to remove. Mine should be here any day now so I will let you know. The Otterbox commuter is not too hard to remove. The Aegis is a little odd to put on but after doing it a few times its not a problem at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought I'd start a new thread so the photos wouldn't get lost in one of the other case threads. I received the Aegis today. My wife and I both have the Charge and I bought Commuters for both, so I was able to install the Aegis on my phone and take comparison photos for those of you wondering about the differences.

I have to thank moondrius again, since I believe he was the first to post information about the Aegis, which lead me to purchase it instead of waiting for the Kraken 2.

Aegis:

Dislikes: More difficult to put on the phone than the Commuter. If you plan on swapping batteries often I wouldn't recommend this case. Lack of protection for the hard buttons. Silicon port covers are a bit harder to open than on the Commuter.

Likes: The grip coating on the hard case. The hard case support on the top of the phone. Extra protection on corners of phone. Cover over speaker.

Notes: While the grip coating makes it slightly more difficult to slide in and out of a pocket, the flares at the top of the phone make it easy to grab when you need to remove it from a pocket. A nice little design feature. The Aegis DOES have a cover for the HDMI port. I'm not sure what the holes are for on the back of the Aegis. Heat dissipation perhaps?

Commuter:

Dislikes: Silicon easily separates from the top of the phone when phone is grabbed from the top. Hard case is slippery, so it slides off of sloped surfaces and can slip from your hand.

Likes: Hard button coverage, although dust and dirt could still migrate under the protected area. Silicon port covers are easier to open than on the Aegis. It's a bit easier to slide in and out of a pocket. Case is relatively easy to install on the phone.

Notes: The Commuter is a more svelte case than the Aegis. The Commuter DOES NOT have a cover over the HDMI port.

On to the photos (the green case is the Trident Aegis). Sorry that they're a bit out of focus, my eyes were tired right after work. I also apologize for the hair and dust, but with six furry beasts running around, keeping the phones hair free is impossible.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Height.jpg

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

RightSide.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

ButtonCoverage.jpg

Commuter silicon can separate from top of phone.
    OBTopSlack.jpg