[Q] s3 stuck at logo, failed to mount efs

Search This thread

okz19

Nov 14, 2010
hi all,

I have friends s3 that wont boot up, I had an s3 myself flashed it a million times fixed various issues and it always worked in the long run. im a little stuck with this one though

she says she has never flased or upgraded the phone with a computer , only ever done OTA, so the myth of efs disappearing after flashing is baffling me. she has said she was using the phone the battery died and every since it wont boot past the Samsung logo. I put the phone into recovery mode, it cand up but in red writing read " failed to mount efs (invalid argument) I did a standard clear cache using recovery rebooted still stuck, I then did a factory reset, this didn't help either , I then proceded to flash the lastest uk 02 stock rom with odin, after it completed phone booted , still sticks at the logo.

so if anyone knows of a way (except using a hammer) to get the phone going please let me know.

I have tried using kies to do emergencey firmware recovery but have to code to do this with. I tried the update and initialisation , put in model number and serial number, kies acts as if its ok to proceed it downloads "firmware upgrade components" it gets to 100% the box disappears and kies remains there greyed out and does nothing.

I have a windows 8 computer, ( crap when it comes to compatability ! ) I have tried the same senarios on both windows 7 and xp.

also I have looked around first but theres lot of mixed up information, also has anyone heard of the ics method ? where you flash stock ics and it apparently fixes the efs issue, I havnt tried this yet, as there is a massive warning saying t can cause SDS if the emc isn't the right emmc chip or something like that !

okz19

Nov 14, 2010
I don't have any efs backed up, is there a way to proceed without backed up efs ? the phone is not mine the my friend has never backed anything up in her life, so I know she hasn't backed up any efs

Restore backed up EFS folder is the answer as always .

STICKYS FAQS and GUIDES
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2344125

UNDERSTAND FIRST
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2362743

Network IMEI EFS
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2393289

Downgrade and network problems .

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2531221

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Most probably efs corruption caused by the unplanned shutdown, without an efs backup you are unlikely to be able to fix it yourself. Flashing ICS will not fix anything.

You can backup the efs partition, format it and flash a generic blank, which should get the phone booting again but you'll then need to pay for a repair to recode your imei and serial numbers, you'll have no network connecting else.

ahmedishaam

Jun 27, 2012
hi all,

I have friends s3 that wont boot up, I had an s3 myself flashed it a million times fixed various issues and it always worked in the long run. im a little stuck with this one though

she says she has never flased or upgraded the phone with a computer , only ever done OTA, so the myth of efs disappearing after flashing is baffling me. she has said she was using the phone the battery died and every since it wont boot past the Samsung logo. I put the phone into recovery mode, it cand up but in red writing read " failed to mount efs (invalid argument) I did a standard clear cache using recovery rebooted still stuck, I then did a factory reset, this didn't help either , I then proceded to flash the lastest uk 02 stock rom with odin, after it completed phone booted , still sticks at the logo.

so if anyone knows of a way (except using a hammer) to get the phone going please let me know.

I have tried using kies to do emergencey firmware recovery but have to code to do this with. I tried the update and initialisation , put in model number and serial number, kies acts as if its ok to proceed it downloads "firmware upgrade components" it gets to 100% the box disappears and kies remains there greyed out and does nothing.

I have a windows 8 computer, ( crap when it comes to compatability ! ) I have tried the same senarios on both windows 7 and xp.

also I have looked around first but theres lot of mixed up information, also has anyone heard of the ics method ? where you flash stock ics and it apparently fixes the efs issue, I havnt tried this yet, as there is a massive warning saying t can cause SDS if the emc isn't the right emmc chip or something like that !

That can be fixed by installing patched kernel and a patched modem.. There is a excellent one from FUSION

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
No patch will fix a broken efs folder, patches will only help with serial number problems.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

xyncs

Jun 5, 2014
I have the same problem

Stock Rom, Gt I9300

IMG-20140605-WA0000.jpg

Need help!