[Q] Galaxy S4 Active - downgrade?

Search This thread

RobbieHag

Nov 28, 2011
This is my first Android phone i have owned for a few years now and i made the mistake of doing the OTA update to 4.3. I would love to root this phone because that was a big reason why i got it. I hated waiting for a jailbreak for my iPhone and i want a phone that i have control over. is it possible to "downgrade" from the OTA update to the leaked update? or even downgrade back to 4.2.2? I have looked around but cant find anything to helpful for the galaxy s4 active. also reading around multiple people say they end up having issues after downgrading or the KNOX counter going from 0x0 to 0x1, therefore voiding warranty.

This is my first Android phone i have owned for a few years now and i made the mistake of doing the OTA update to 4.3. I would love to root this phone because that was a big reason why i got it. I hated waiting for a jailbreak for my iPhone and i want a phone that i have control over. is it possible to "downgrade" from the OTA update to the leaked update? or even downgrade back to 4.2.2? I have looked around but cant find anything to helpful for the galaxy s4 active. also reading around multiple people say they end up having issues after downgrading or the KNOX counter going from 0x0 to 0x1, therefore voiding warranty.

While the OTA upgraded Android to 4.3 it also included a new bootloader. The new bootloader prohibits "downgrading" to a firmware version below ML2. Currently there is no way to downgrade with the locked bootloader. However there is a new thread just started by @TransformixS4 that is looking at injecting root into the ML2 Odin files, so it may be possible in the future to root ML2. There are a couple threads in the regular S4 forums exploring ways to exploit the bootloader and flash custom kernels.

Back to your situation: you're completely stuck. Next time you see there is an update or OTA check XDA before you install it. There are a couple threads that explain the pros and cons of any updates. There is also a thread summarizing all the AT&T i537 firmwares which will be updated in the future and you may find useful.

Reactions: hearkenoath

Caboose27

Jun 28, 2012
Bellaire
While the OTA upgraded Android to 4.3 it also included a new bootloader. The new bootloader prohibits "downgrading" to a firmware version below ML2. Currently there is no way to downgrade with the locked bootloader. However there is a new thread just started by @TransformixS4 that is looking at injecting root into the ML2 Odin files, so it may be possible in the future to root ML2. There are a couple threads in the regular S4 forums exploring ways to exploit the bootloader and flash custom kernels.

Back to your situation: you're completely stuck. Next time you see there is an update or OTA check XDA before you install it. There are a couple threads that explain the pros and cons of any updates. There is also a thread summarizing all the AT&T i537 firmwares which will be updated in the future and you may find useful.

My issue was I kept telling it not to upgrade, and then it went ahead and did it anyway! On 4G, not wifi even. I was so mad when I got home and started reading that all the stuff I downloaded to root it *that day* would no longer work.

My issue was I kept telling it not to upgrade, and then it went ahead and did it anyway! On 4G, not wifi even. I was so mad when I got home and started reading that all the stuff I downloaded to root it *that day* would no longer work.

You're only allowed to delay the update 4 or 5 times before it installed automatically. You can prevent it from upgrading in the future by freezing some system apps with Titanium Backup. I don't remember which ones right now, but if you search it's pretty easy to find.

D

Deleted member 5657508

Just checking, you do have the i537 not i9295, right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.