[Game]Outbreak! Zombie Apocalypse beta

Search This thread

theblacknight

Mar 23, 2011
Outbreak! Zombies is a global location based multiplayer game. The free beta version of the game is currently available in the android market.

To play you simply download the app and enter a user name. You will then be randomly assigned a state, either infected or not infected. If you are not infected your goal is to survive the zombie apocalypse, if you are infected your goal is to spread the infection. Each user will be visible on a world map, and to infect someone you must be within 500 metres. Currently Dublin, Ireland is in over-run with zombies.

Each red marker is a zombie, and each green marker is a survivor. The game works best when there are lots of users, which is why I am posting it here. I am also trying to gather as much feedback and test scenarios as I can in order to make the full version a more complete and fun game.

There is more information on how to play available here.

There is also a forum here with a lot of discussion about the game.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy,

-Kev

Last edited:

theblacknight

Mar 23, 2011
Sure, here you go

main_scanned.png
user_info.png

map_view.png
infection_info.png

There is also a facebook page :D trying to spread the word

To see how the infection can spread head to Ireland on your map, in Dublin there are a lot of zombies, simply hold you finger on any location for a couple of seconds to see users in that location.

Reactions: Dblfstr

theblacknight

Mar 23, 2011
This looks pretty awesome. Installed.

Can't wait until there are a ton more people signed up, so that I can find zombies around me.

Thanks! I'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions. Would like to know how it handles on various devices too, I only have a Galaxy S and a Galaxy Europa to test on. Working on lots of new features at the moment, like notification service, and ability for people to fight back, along with a levelling system.. and hopefully I will be able to add achievements at some point, I just have to find the time.

The Robot Cow

Jan 11, 2011
I'm one of only 3 people within 50 miles to have this lol, makes me feel cool to be the first in my city to get this.
This is a game I actually wanna play
Lets spread this infection!!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using XDA App

Reactions: theblacknight

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
151 infected and 935 survivors in central Connecticut (U.S.). Im clean!

Last edited:

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
Cool idea, seems more fun to be an infected though.

What if Uninfected (clean) could set bombs or traps or similar (that have a certain shelf life or up-time) around their area to keep infected away, or immobilize them for a specified amount of time.

Just an idea to keep the clean folks involved.

Still, great idea.

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
Thanks! I'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions. Would like to know how it handles on various devices too, I only have a Galaxy S and a Galaxy Europa to test on. Working on lots of new features at the moment, like notification service, and ability for people to fight back, along with a levelling system.. and hopefully I will be able to add achievements at some point, I just have to find the time.

It's working great on my EVO. Not sure how easy it would be, but I think a list view to complement the map view of people around you and their location (specific or general) would be helpful. For now, at least, I have to zoom out a lot just to see anyone.

theblacknight

Mar 23, 2011
151 infected and 935 survivors in central Connecticut (U.S.). Im clean!

The map will only show the 50 closest people to you. Hold your finger down in other areas to show the 50 closest to that point, don't want to over load the map view. Check out Dublin, Ireland .. it's in a bad way. Working on a new version now where survivors can fight back!

kevina90

Jul 14, 2010
maryland
AHHHHH! Im surrounded! I need weapons to fend myself off! I will not be INFECTED!!!!!! oh wait, I just turn on airplane mode, disable wifi and im good to go... Awesome game though

nagi603

Jul 28, 2008
Nexus 7
OnePlus One
Works like a charm on my Milestone! (2.3 CM7 derivative) Keep up the good work!

(Heyy, noone around me? Well, Hungary seems to be MINE for the time being!)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Outbreak! Zombies is a global location based multiplayer game. The free beta version of the game is currently available in the android market.

To play you simply download the app and enter a user name. You will then be randomly assigned a state, either infected or not infected. If you are not infected your goal is to survive the zombie apocalypse, if you are infected your goal is to spread the infection. Each user will be visible on a world map, and to infect someone you must be within 500 metres. Currently Dublin, Ireland is in over-run with zombies.

Each red marker is a zombie, and each green marker is a survivor. The game works best when there are lots of users, which is why I am posting it here. I am also trying to gather as much feedback and test scenarios as I can in order to make the full version a more complete and fun game.

There is more information on how to play available here.

There is also a forum here with a lot of discussion about the game.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy,

-Kev
    After a whole day of travel and frequent use. I have several items that you can consider below. I hope they will be of good use to you. My feelings won't be hurt if you do or don't consider these ideas. Much luck to you.

1. Allow users to update their Home position automatically, manually, or in intervals.
    2. Allows users to be notified if an opponent is in the vicinity. Size of vicinity is selectable.
    3. Update the user's position on the map more frequently. I ran by several people that I couldn't infect because the bubble jumped across the map.
    4. Update the user's infection faster because I noticed a 30 second delay when I infected someone.
    5. Reduce the infection zone size. I was able to infect someone well outside of the red area.
    6. Allow users to reduce their infection zone size for more of a challenge.
    7. Allow users to sign in with a special ID otherwise you end up with too many new usernames simply because that person uninstall the app and reinstalled.
    8. If a user doesn't check in for a period of time, they will still be considered as infected when tagged. I noticed too many users not infect-able. Also, consider adding a tiny question mark next to the name or icon on the map.
    9. Request user sign off and deletion (username cached for 60 days) when removing/deleting the app. If they don't want to play anymore why are they still on the map?
    10. Allow a listing of the person that cured/infected you in the AMI. The list will disappear after 24 hours of signing in. This feature allows some bragging rights.
    11. If there is a bug within the map program, allow the user to go back to the AMI console and reactivate the map to clear the RAM of the bug. I noticed that several times my position would never update itself until I killed the map and opened it again.
    12. Allow the ability to "load" user positions based upon the finger position on the map. Sometimes I like to know who will be at my destination so I can infect them once I arrive.
    13. If I'm not mistaken, when I was "clean" I didn't see an option in the map menu to "hide". I only saw "Home".
    14. When there's several "clean" in the vicinity and a smaller percentage of "infected", there should be a percentage algorithm that will result in the clean people being uninfected. This way, it's like the clean people were in a group/team and fought off the infected person.
    15. Allow double-tapping on the screen to zoom in to the specific location.
    16. Allow options of regular maps instead of a satellite map which will reduce data requests from the server. This also results in faster map rendering on the client-side.
    17. Designate random cleaning zones. There will be random zones throughout the month that users can become uninfected. The infected user must manually choose to be "cleaned". Also, the infected in the cleaning zone cannot infect anyone in the immediate area almost as if it's a protected fortress.
    18. Allow cellular triangulation with a selectable buffer size so players can't be pin-pointed at their homes. This option has a drawback that the location isn't accurate and can either get you infected faster or allow avoidance of infection. This is the cost of privacy for your users.
    19. If there's a point or credit system is applied. Allow random monthly or stated goals in the AMI that users can achieve. Example, this month I need to infect 20 people to get a certain amount of points for bragging rights or I need to stay clean for a period of 10 days.
    20. Allow pre-made comments such as, "I was going to infect you but I felt like being nice today" or "Gotcha!". A menu is activated by selecting the user and these comments can be made when in range of other users.
    21. Not sure if this in effect but, do not allow expletives, put-downs, offensive phrases, and/or a combination of the aforementioned for usernames. It's not fun when someone runs around town with an offensive phrase while infecting other users.
    Yes I enabled copy protection stuff. Why would that stop you from finding it?

Copy protection requires the device firmware ID to be "whitelisted" on Google's side of the Market. Custom ROMs and leaked ROMs often have IDs which aren't on that list. Market will not show "copy protected" apps on these ROMs.

For someone running such a ROM this can be worked around by using tools like Market Enabler and such, but I never bother (and few do). Quite likely the copy protection flag is the reason for each and every comment about not being able to find it.

I would also like to point out that if you are indeed using "copyright protection" box from Market, and not the Licensing API instead, you are using a form of protection that is (a) deprecated by Google and (b) doesn't protect from copying. Pretty much the only thing it does is make sure that a lot of people can't find your app. Also it doesn't make sense for something that is free.

Anyways, I was trying it on a leaked ROM on the Galaxy S which couldn't find it. By now I'm running it on the Galaxy Tab which has an official ROM that can find the app.

Anyways you did a really great job with this game. I love the idea, and the implementation so far is just great. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only person in my area, and I'm clean!

A number of suggestions:
    (1) Make it more clear when you are and when you are not playing. If I exit the map, does my marker stay at the current location ?

(2) Make a button somewhere to find the nearest zombie / non-infected (depending on what you are) and show the distance to that person from yourself. Handy in areas where you are alone, like I and several posters here are.

(3) Allow a longer user name. 10 characters is too short. Also, does it need to be unique? What happens if I reinstall my ROM and lose the app and settings, can I use the same name again ? Can I use the same name across multiple devices ?

(4) Multi-device... need to link multiple devices to the same account and only use the last logged in.

(5) Background service. I would not use an interval by default to poll, either turn the service on or off. You don't need to talk to the server as long as you don't move, and if you just register with the API to receive location updates, the service won't do anything as long as the user doesn't move. You could use an interval (also enable/disable) to actually wake the device (without screen on) to be able to receive those updates every X minutes and check if there are other zombies or cleans in the area, where once every 5 minutes would be more than enough (approx the time it takes to actually walk 500 meters). You could go really fancy and automate the interval based on the average speed the past X minutes.

(6) Allow zombies to be healed, by going to specific areas. A hospital was suggested earlier, but I don't think there are enough hospitals in most areas to make that easy enough. I'd add both police stations and fire stations as well. I think Maps knows where these are generally. Or you could even allow people to add those manually, but that'd possibly muck up the database with random buildings people want to use to heal themselves ;)

(7) Maybe some sort of score system ? Get points for infecting people, or "killing" zombies. Survivors generally kill zombies in games and movies. But I think first-come first-serve may not be a good thing. One the service is done and you get warnings of zombies in the area, maybe killing a zombie will actually "delay" for a number of minutes, to give the zombies a chance to infect you first (as they would also get the warning a survivor is near). (The act of killing will just give you points and the zombie a notice that he has been killed - lose points? or maybe start out clean again?)

(8) Add this image to the first post of this thread: http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?...//market.android.com/details?id=com.kbdev.lbg ...
    chart

Will allow everyone that has a barcode scanner installer to open Market with the game selected.

Random thoughts, hopefully they're helpful :)
    Can you please post on this thread when the new version will be updated? I tend to follow this thread more closely than app updates. Thanks.

Outbreak! Zombie Apocalypse version 1.5 now in the market. Re-vamped website with leaderboards coming soon.
    After installation it says

" to use glast it must be able to detect your location and connect to the internet. You must also disable mock locations."

It then brings me to settings but Im sure everything is in order

Then that keeps coming up and I cant do anything else.

Could you also pm me my identifer for username "plonkuser"

Thanks

settings/applications/development uncheck allow mock locations.