2nd-init for the Droid X2!

Search This thread

edgan

Apr 13, 2011
I have just finished porting 2nd-init to the Droid X2. It was a clean port from the Atrix. I didn't modify the code, just compiled it. The work was in the install/wrapper.

This opens up custom ROMs, like CM7. This does not unlock the bootloader or allow custom kernels.

It has been tested on one Droid X2 so far. I recommend only developers play with this for now. It is not that useful be itself, but expect to see lots of new things happen based on this.

I welcome feedback. Also feel free to Donate via the "Donate to me" link under my username, top left, on XDA. Donate out of gratitude for this work, not for promises of future work.

I would like to give a special thanks to religi0n/relax. He stepped up to help me test 2nd-init, and worked with me across multiple days. Since I don't own a Droid X2, this wouldn't have happened without him.

Enjoy! :D

This apk requires SuperUser.apk to already be installed, and working. Ignore any references to the Atrix. This apk is custom for the Droid X2, but I didn't change all references to the Atrix in the apk. I will be working on an updated apk that doesn't mention the Atrix.

Steps for the apk:

1. Get it on the phone however you like
2. Install the apk
3. Open 2ndinit
4. Click Install
5. Click OK when the dialog comes up
6. Install Android Terminal Emulator from the Market
7. Open Android Terminal Emulator
8. type ls /sys/kernel/debug<enter>

This is only for Froyo. We know it breaks in it's current form with Gingerbread.

Thanks to religi0n!
Thanks to eval!
Thanks to Brandon15811!
Thanks to xfinrodx!
Thanks to xvilka!
Thanks to PAuly!
Thanks to Skrilax_CZ!
Thanks to BravoMotorola!
Thanks to NFHimself!

DOWNLOADS
2nd-init Droid X2 apk

Developers only:
Tarball

Info:
This method starts 2nd-init via mount_ext3.sh.

Warning! This conflicts with Tenfar's ClockWorkMod(aka CWM) Recovery
If the phone is wall charging, you shut down the phone, and start it, it will boot CWM
To avoid this, open System Recovery and hit Charge Mode.
It may also conflict with other recovery tools, or other things that tweak the normal boot process.

Tweaks:
/sys/kernel/debug mounted

Checking for successful installation:

ls /sys/kernel/debug

Good Output:

cO54DH.png

If the Output is good, then Congradulations you have control over init now!

h4MYc4.png

Last edited:

KurioHonoo

Oct 18, 2010
I can't seem to get it to work, I installed the App, installed 2nd-init, terminal emulator, typed in ls /sys/kernel/debug, pressed enter and then nothing happens

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

dragonzkiller

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2011
Wouldn't You Like To Know?
This is really great news. Now we just need someone to get cracking on the CM7 port.

Thanks for your hard work edgan and all testers!

Sent from my DROID X2

I've started tearing apart CM7. I've been using part of the code of the X and part from the LG Star (which appears to be the only other tegra2 device available through the git repository).

Needless to say, I'm going to need some help. I have a git repository set up right now that will eventually hold what I'm working on, but like I said, without help, I'm kinda slow at this.

I do have the build and system props switched in and a few other things, but not much now.

Last edited:

juhde

Mar 30, 2010
Carlsbad, NM
www.twitter.com
I've started tearing apart CM7. I've been using part of the code of the X and part from the LG Star (which appears to be the only other tegra2 device available through the git repository).

Needless to say, I'm going to need some help. I have a git repository set up right now that will eventually hold what I'm working on, but like I said, without help, I'm kinda slow at this.

I do have the build and system props switched in and a few other things, but not much now.

Look into Atrix, it's tegra2 and I believe they already have a unofficial port for CM7. It may need minimal tweaking since nearly every hack for the X2 this far has been modified atrix stuff.
Sent from my DROID X2

edgan

Apr 13, 2011
I can't seem to get it to work, I installed the App, installed 2nd-init, terminal emulator, typed in ls /sys/kernel/debug, pressed enter and then nothing happens

Do you have Superuser.apk installed? Did it pop up when you opened 2nd-init?

Check for /data/two.log. If it is there, post the contents here.

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Look into Atrix, it's tegra2 and I believe they already have a unofficial port for CM7. It may need minimal tweaking since nearly every hack for the X2 this far has been modified atrix stuff.
Sent from my DROID X2

Isn't everything atrix now 2.3.3? so wouldn't you need to work from old cm with out gingerbread... i hope i'm wrong

KurioHonoo

Oct 18, 2010
Yes, I have super user access, and no such file exists in my data folder

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

dragonzkiller

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2011
Wouldn't You Like To Know?
Sent from my DROID X2

Yeah you're right I saw that like 2 seconds after you said something. This is the address to my github. It is an almost direct copy of the Atrix one right now besides the system.prop.

https://github.com/dragonzkiller/cm7_device_motorola_daytona

That and a few changes to make it say daytona.

ricovox

Jan 12, 2011
Can someone please comment on how 2ndinit compares to the "Droid X2 System Recovery" originally Posted c21johnson in terms of function?

My understanding is that ROMs etc could be flashed with the Recovery, so is 2ndinit simply an alternative method to flash ROMs? Can 2ndinit also function as a recovery method as well?

Or is 2ndinit something completely different altogether?

Thanks!

myriad46

Sep 30, 2008
Can someone please comment on how 2ndinit compares to the "Droid X2 System Recovery" originally Posted c21johnson in terms of function?

My understanding is that ROMs etc could be flashed with the Recovery, so is 2ndinit simply an alternative method to flash ROMs? Can 2ndinit also function as a recovery method as well?

Thanks!

Nothing personal, but you may be over your head in this particular forum. The developer forum is pretty technical. By all means, read it and follow it, but asking "entry level" questions might get you flamed around here. I don't think it's right, I'm just trying to save your feelings a bit. Once things get a little more fleshed out and "prime time" someone will post a nice set of instructions for the average user in the General forum. I've been sufing the forums for 2 years and flashed many many roms and kernels on my last phone, and I don't know what the heck these guys are talking about half the time.

However, these are the guys that are going to get us things like CM7 on our Droid X2. So the best advice I could give you would be to step back and let them work.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, just trying to help.

Reactions: MikeJ92YJ

MikeJ92YJ

Jul 21, 2011

Thanks!

I Really Hope I'm Not Gonna Get Frowned Upon By Posting This But If You Wanna Know How It Works Read This Like I Have.

http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works

Reactions: pdinphx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just finished porting 2nd-init to the Droid X2. It was a clean port from the Atrix. I didn't modify the code, just compiled it. The work was in the install/wrapper.

This opens up custom ROMs, like CM7. This does not unlock the bootloader or allow custom kernels.

It has been tested on one Droid X2 so far. I recommend only developers play with this for now. It is not that useful be itself, but expect to see lots of new things happen based on this.

I welcome feedback. Also feel free to Donate via the "Donate to me" link under my username, top left, on XDA. Donate out of gratitude for this work, not for promises of future work.

I would like to give a special thanks to religi0n/relax. He stepped up to help me test 2nd-init, and worked with me across multiple days. Since I don't own a Droid X2, this wouldn't have happened without him.

Enjoy! :D

This apk requires SuperUser.apk to already be installed, and working. Ignore any references to the Atrix. This apk is custom for the Droid X2, but I didn't change all references to the Atrix in the apk. I will be working on an updated apk that doesn't mention the Atrix.

Steps for the apk:

1. Get it on the phone however you like
    2. Install the apk
    3. Open 2ndinit
    4. Click Install
    5. Click OK when the dialog comes up
    6. Install Android Terminal Emulator from the Market
    7. Open Android Terminal Emulator
    8. type ls /sys/kernel/debug<enter>

This is only for Froyo. We know it breaks in it's current form with Gingerbread.

Thanks to religi0n!
    Thanks to eval!
    Thanks to Brandon15811!
    Thanks to xfinrodx!
    Thanks to xvilka!
    Thanks to PAuly!
    Thanks to Skrilax_CZ!
    Thanks to BravoMotorola!
    Thanks to NFHimself!

DOWNLOADS
    2nd-init Droid X2 apk

Developers only:
    Tarball

Info:
    This method starts 2nd-init via mount_ext3.sh.

Warning! This conflicts with Tenfar's ClockWorkMod(aka CWM) Recovery
    If the phone is wall charging, you shut down the phone, and start it, it will boot CWM
    To avoid this, open System Recovery and hit Charge Mode.
    It may also conflict with other recovery tools, or other things that tweak the normal boot process.

Tweaks:
    /sys/kernel/debug mounted

Checking for successful installation:

ls /sys/kernel/debug

Good Output:

cO54DH.png

If the Output is good, then Congradulations you have control over init now!

h4MYc4.png
    2nd init working on Gingerbread :) Thanks goes to me and Edgan.
    This is really great news. Now we just need someone to get cracking on the CM7 port.

Thanks for your hard work edgan and all testers!

Sent from my DROID X2
    Yes you're wrong

Sent from my DROID X2

Goood!! can't wait to see some cm7
    That is basically right. As of now, the few ROMs we have are based off of the default kernel. CM7 has already been ported successfully to devices running 2nd-init hacks written for those devices. Dragonzkiller has been working on tearing CM7 apart to see if he can get it to work. Now that 2nd-init is confirmed working, all we need to do is wait for the devs to work together and port CM7 and other ROMs that use custom kernels to work with the default kernel via 2nd-init... So again, its just a waiting game now...

EDIT: here is a link to what 2nd-init is and how it works... It is a little technical but it should help u get the jist of how it does what is does... http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works

That is also posted earlier I believe by MikeJ aka Caps lol. And even if I don't understand the complete tech wording that explanation makes more sense than a 99¢ store....hadtoto say it..sorry getting late and just keep checking and waiting for an " I've DONE IT" post lol