A problem I have had with all ICS ROMs (mainly directed towards Devs)

Search This thread

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
On every ICS ROM I have used, the root is mounted as R/W by default and thus so are all the other partitions, is this intentional? Does not seem right to me.

Sent from Narnia

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Hmm I never really checked, but I don't recall noticing that. After I finish this theme I'll flash back to ics and look.

Edit: Actually I'm on modded stock 2.3.3 right now and it mounts root as r/w too. So I doubt its just ics. Everything after root is r/o until mounts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

Mr. Apocalypse

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 22, 2009
Houston, Tx
My init script mounts everything as R/W because:
1. That's my personal preference, since i build them for me first.
2. I feel that a rooted phone should have full read/write ability from the start.

Nobody has ever commented or asked me to change it in my roms, so i never did. If anyone has a problem with it, then we'll talk it over and i'll make a decision on whether or not to keep it, remove it, or give the user the option on how to mount their directories.

Just my opinion..... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: buru898

ala380

Aug 18, 2007
Mr. Apocalypse, for what it's worth I prefer it the way that it is. I hate having to change it from R/O to R/W. I like that it's already done from the start!

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
Isn't this the point if having root?!

Not to keep it R/W, but to give apps you've given root access to to be able to access the root.

I feel that with it being R/W all the time apps I haven't given root access to could access root.

Maybe it's just my OCD tendencies but I like it to be R/O by default, guess I'll have to get over it

Sent from Narnia

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
Not to keep it R/W, but to give apps you've given root access to to be able to access the root.

I feel that with it being R/W all the time apps I haven't given root access to could access root.

Maybe it's just my OCD tendencies but I like it to be R/O by default, guess I'll have to get over it

Sent from Narnia

you can make a script that will set it R/O on startup if you really want it

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
My biggest issues have been Mobile Data drops and the Video Camera. Mobile has been found to work flawlessly on some ICS ROMs, mostly those that stick to stock looks. I hope it gets fixed in all of them soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My init script mounts everything as R/W because:
    1. That's my personal preference, since i build them for me first.
    2. I feel that a rooted phone should have full read/write ability from the start.

Nobody has ever commented or asked me to change it in my roms, so i never did. If anyone has a problem with it, then we'll talk it over and i'll make a decision on whether or not to keep it, remove it, or give the user the option on how to mount their directories.

Just my opinion..... :)