[Q][ROM2SD] Dual boot SD card ROM freezing

Search This thread

maxp888

Aug 14, 2010
I have been testing ROMs on my SD card using _that's method from here as well as the built in ROM2SD install from the CROMI-X installer.

Everything was working great using CM10.2 until a few days ago when my TF700 became unresponsive after 5-10 minutes whenever I was running on the SD card mounted ROM. (It had been working fine for about a week of steady use). When it becomes unresponsive, it doesn't register any screen touches nor do any hardware keys work. The only way to recover is with a hard reset (holding the power button for a while even though pressing once has no effect). Decided to see if it was something related to CM10.2 so I reformatted the SD card and installed CROMI-X to the SD card using the CROMI-X installer... used it for a little bit and got the same problem.
I'm back to using the internal ROM and have no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a problem with the SD card itself (I'm using gparted to format and the card appears to function normally in other devices...)? I don't think it's a kernel issue as I'm using _that-v7 both internally and on the SD ROM (either through the CROMI-X installer or with the modified rom2sd2.zip from _that's dual boot thread).

Anyways, any advice or theories would be appreciated. I'd post in the original dual-boot thread but as a serial lurker/flasher I don't have enough posts to participate in the dev thread.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I could have written your post....
I had EXACTLY the same setup, progression and result.
No idea for a solution though.... But doesn't it feel good not to be alone? :D

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
What utility are you using to partition and or format the sdcard??

I have what everybody else has: Scandisk Ultra class 10 formatted with Gparted.

I think I have the last installation still on the card. I'll give it a shot and try to capture a logcat, but that could be a looooooong logcat - if I remember correctly both CM and CROMi-X ran fine for a few days and then froze without warning. Not much fun using the tablet with a computer attached to it ;)

maxp888

Aug 14, 2010
You'll need to provide a logcat for a proper diagnosis otherwise we are guessing :D

But my guess will be your sdcard is not up to the task. What type of card is it?

I'm also using a 32GB SanDisk ultra UHS Class 1 (the red and grey one) formatted with gparted.

As for the logcat, I haven't been able to get my tablet working over adb since I moved to windows 8.1 but I will be messing around with that today so hopefully I'll have something later.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro

maxp888

Aug 14, 2010
Ok, got adb up and running. The full logcat is attached. I used the most verbose logging and the last responsive thing I was able to do was go into settings and attempt to keep wifi on in the low power settings (this occurs at 11:12:34.489 in the log). The tablet obviously saves this setting however the screen fails to update or register input after this point and actually continues to highlight the check box for that setting option as if I was continually touching it. I let the tablet run for a while to see if it was just laggy, but it failed to respond for over ten minutes... Anyways, let me know what you think and I'll be happy to test any theories.

(as a side note, you'll probably notice my wifi continually disconnecting and reconnecting, but my tablet has done that since I purchased it so it's probably unrelated).

Attachments

• crash.txt
    301 KB · Views: 8

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't been able to reproduce the freeze yet. Ran the tablet on rom2sd for more than an hour with all kinds of apps, Netflix, Quadrant etc - works like a charm.
I did format the ext4 partitions before installing rom2sd (yet again). Maybe I finally got it right?

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I haven't been able to reproduce the freeze yet. Ran the tablet on rom2sd for more than an hour with all kinds of apps, Netflix, Quadrant etc - works like a charm.
I did format the ext4 partitions before installing rom2sd (yet again). Maybe I finally got it right?

Possibly but like that said we've had this issue with some cards since data2sd days. If it does happen again, grab a logcat and post it up. I bet it will report file system errors.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Ok, got adb up and running. The full logcat is attached. I used the most verbose logging and the last responsive thing I was able to do was go into settings and attempt to keep wifi on in the low power settings (this occurs at 11:12:34.489 in the log). The tablet obviously saves this setting however the screen fails to update or register input after this point and actually continues to highlight the check box for that setting option as if I was continually touching it. I let the tablet run for a while to see if it was just laggy, but it failed to respond for over ten minutes... Anyways, let me know what you think and I'll be happy to test any theories.

(as a side note, you'll probably notice my wifi continually disconnecting and reconnecting, but my tablet has done that since I purchased it so it's probably unrelated).

Will have a proper look later, but on first glance your tab seems to have real difficulties staying connected to your router.

maxp888

Aug 14, 2010
your tab seems to have real difficulties staying connected to your router.

Haha... Yea that's an understatement... Think it's actually a router/generic android problem as my gs4 and my roommate's gs4 and tablet all have problems staying connected at home and on other networks they work fine.

Appreciate you taking the time to check this out and love all the work you do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Haha... Yea that's an understatement... Think it's actually a router/generic android problem as my gs4 and my roommate's gs4 and tablet all have problems staying connected at home and on other networks they work fine.

Appreciate you taking the time to check this out and love all the work you do.

I'd solve the router issues first - it might be the root cause. Either reboot it or reset it, use WiFi analyser to get a good channel. If that doesn't work kill it and get a decent one.

maxp888

Aug 14, 2010
Hmmm never thought that would be anything more than an annoyance, but it's a good idea. I'll bring my tab to work Monday and see if it freezes there where I know the network is reliable.

maxp888

Aug 14, 2010
well, used the tab on the office wifi for several hours with no freezes and brought it home where it froze after about 10 minutes.

Looks like the router is the culprit which means I now have an excuse to buy a new one...

Reactions: sbdags

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well, used the tab on the office wifi for several hours with no freezes and brought it home where it froze after about 10 minutes.

Looks like the router is the culprit which means I now have an excuse to buy a new one...