[Q] Audio issues- background noise

Search This thread

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
Has anyone else noticed any issues with a background noise behind the audio? It is most noticeable with headphones, however I can identify it regardless of how i am playing audio. It sounds like a sort of static/buzzing sound, and is really irritating now I've noticed it.

vegalinho

Mar 17, 2013
Hagen
Has anyone else noticed any issues with a background noise behind the audio? It is most noticeable with headphones, however I can identify it regardless of how i am playing audio. It sounds like a sort of static/buzzing sound, and is really irritating now I've noticed it.

I do have background noises that do sound like some static/buzzing, most noticeable after the ringtone / notificiation playback, for a second. And no, the actual ringtone / soundfiles are just fine, its related to the One.

quxika

Jun 4, 2008
Background noise solution

Hi I know the solution! Just switch off the NFC!

Settings/more/nfc

And you will be happy :good:

BRG

T

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
The noise is really quite significant, it makes listening to music over headphones pretty bad below half volume.

NFC was already turned off, but thanks for the advice anyway.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester
I've noticed the hissing when I use the camera to video something

I'm waiting for a replacement but now wonder if all phones are affected by the problem

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
I doubt it, this is the only thread describing this problem so far. Return it is... Love the phone but am hating the build quality.

cobbcobbdavid

Dec 13, 2011

I think it might relate to Enable Beats sound. However, customer service told me HTC is working on this and will fix in SW.;)

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
Beats audio seems to make no difference, have a replacement coming tomorrow so will be able to see whether it is a manufacturing fault or not.

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
I have this problem as well on my HTC One (Black).

It seems to be most noticeable on Youtube videos and games for me, disabling beats audio does seem to reduce the background noise / static but doesn't seem to get rid of it entirely, it also seems to happen no matter what you have the volume set to or if you are using headphones / the speakers.

I couldn't live with it and tried to get it replaced by phones4u but technical support said I would have to take it to a store and compare it with another HTC One, unfortunately no stores near me have any in stock so I am going to return it and wait for some of the kinks / build issues with the phone to be worked out.

-Aziki

alanzo27

Apr 11, 2011
Co. Kildare
In my experience from having the One since Friday, I would say it is a software issue rather than the hardware. I do get popping and bad hissing from the speakers at different frequencies, but if I turn off Beats Audio it is reduced drastically, although then you lose the nice bass and depth from the speakers. :( Hopefully it will be fixed in an update. I mostly notice it on YouTube videos or files with lower quality/bitrate.

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
Rescheduled my delivery for tomorrow but will update this thread, id be suprised if this is an issue common to all the handsets though as it's pretty unlivable for me and I would have guessed more people would have reported it.

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
Received the replacement, same issue with the audio. Could be either a software fault or a hardware fault common to the batch? Either way, the replacement I received has some awful build quality issues, gaps and an overhang in the metal. I like the phone but this is getting stupid, may just get an s4...

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
Received the replacement, same issue with the audio. Could be either a software fault or a hardware fault common to the batch? Either way, the replacement I received has some awful build quality issues, gaps and an overhang in the metal. I like the phone but this is getting stupid, may just get an s4...

That sucks! :/

I was hoping you would come back saying your new phone is perfect and doesn't have the problem. It's weird that no one has come into this thread saying they don't have the problem, although only a handful of people have said they do.

It does seem like a software problem like you and a few other people have mentioned, considering sound is one of the main selling points of this phone you would have thought they wouldn't have shipped it with such an obvious flaw.

I'll be sending my phone back tomorrow and at this rate I'm not sure if I will be getting another one as the sound problem bugged the hell out of me for the short time I used it.

-Aziki

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
Phoned three and they were really apologetic, sending me a new phone that they will first inspect for build quality issues. I expect the audio issue will persist though. Phoned HTC to see if its a software issue or not (also reported the capacitive button issue) and a manager is going to phone me back at some point today or tomorrow. They have until the s4 release date to give me the phone I paid for or im jumping ship.... Good luck with your replacement :).

Last edited:

Matt

Feb 4, 2012
Nottingham, UK
The hissing is a known issue which only appears on some builds, I personally have no issue so it is hardware :)

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
What is the serial number of your device (the first 6 characters)? Would love to be able to track which build exactly has the issue.

Just to clarify, the hissing is most noticeable if you play a track at low volume through headphones. Is made worse with beats enabled, but still occurs without it on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was in contact with HTC as my device had that & popping issues.
    Yep, and that's a problem in itself. I know I can hear hissing, as can everyone else in this thread, but there are many who can't (including I assume the designers, the testers, the QC, telco staff, service department, reviewers etc). We all know that we can hear it and are not just "hearing things", I for one don't make 3-4 hour customer care calls and hang around telco stores half the day about an issue for the fun of it.

I think my decision to move to the S4 was due mostly to the fact that I paid for a phone that didn't work as it should out of the box for me. Waiting around for an update in a few months or for the 'next batch' of fixed Ones, or sending units to be 'repaired' and being returned while still paying monthly handset repayments for a phone I can't fully use simply isn't good enough for a premium device on a 2 year contract. Coupled with the fact my brothers One X also produces the same hiss (which he didn't think to tell me earlier... :rolleyes: ), it didn't look likely that a fix would ever be made.

I know that all sounds like a lot of bashing, but it really was a fantastic phone in almost everything else. Loved the sense UI coming from touchwiz on the S2; the aluminium body was just so nice to hold, the display was brilliant and I rather liked blinkfeed and the different app draw layout.

I hope everyone else in this thread can get to a solution, or have more patience than me and can wait for a fix, if any!

I wanted to add a few comments to this thread. I started a similar thread over on the Android Forum. I bought the One about two weeks ago. I bought it because of the glowing reports about the sound quality. How could my experience be so different than all the reviewers that stated how excellent the sound and call quality was. I mean seriously.... it is not like I am a noob at these things and neither are the reviewers so what gives. My problem was with phone calls. Both on speaker and with the phone to your ear. It is much easer to hear the problem when on speaker, though. The problem was this hissing whenever the person on the other end of the phone was talking. As soon as they stopped talking this hissing sound went away. It reminded me of the walkie talkies we used to talk on when we were kids. So I thought it was just a bad phone. I went back to the Sprint store and the store manager had a One as well. We made some calls with his phone and it had the hissing when the other person was talking, too. Strike two. So then I got the bright idea that maybe it was the carrier. Maybe the call quality would be better on another carrier. So I went to the local AT&T store who had a One in the store that you could call out on. I went and made some calls and sure enough.... the hissing was there when the other person was talking. Ok, so after three phones and two different carriers, I had to conclude that this was a phone problem. Then I found this thread. I read through the whole thing and only one other person related a similar issue as what I was seeing. So my question is this. Many have reported a hissing issue with headphones and music. What about the call quality when the other person is talking. Do you hear it too?

Sadly, on day 13 of the 14 day trial, I took the One back. I was not going to take the chance that HTC might acknowlege the problem and get a fix going. I plan to monitor these threads to see if some kind of firmware fix does eventually solve this. I loved the phone, but call quality is my number one requirement for the phone - because of work.

Thanks for your feedback. :good: