[Q] Forgot USB-debugging downgrading

Search This thread

emsoh

Jan 25, 2014
Hi!

This is my first post an I hope I did put it on the right place and I havent found any other post that really matches my problem.

Anyway, I was so happy for being able to bring back stock rom on a rooted SGS2 I9100 who didnt worked proper with its root. In this case, no USB-debugging were necessary.
After this mission I felt ready to try to downgrade the SGS Advance I9070 from stock Jelly Bean to Stock Ginger Bread by mainly following one of all those tutorials about how to do it. And I know its said - enable USB-debugging.

But as I were interupted by my wife just before I were going to proceed, I totally forgot it when I finally went back to my work of downgrading. As I were a bit stressed, I just connected the phone to Odin and slammed the PDA-button like I did with the SGS2. It went smooth all the way through Odin and the green PASS showed up. But when the phone were about to boot up it stuck at the Samsung-logo. Its in a bootloop. After a short time of wondering about what went wrong, it struck my head I forgot to enable USB-debugging. Amen!

So, I forgot debugging while running JB-stock to downgrade to GB-stock. The only thing I can reach now is download-mode except the bootloop Samsung start interface. Its probably occured because I forgot enable debugging, right? And does it mean this device is bricked for real or is there anyway to bring back life?

Best regards // emsoh

arneldna

Dec 15, 2012
Hi!

This is my first post an I hope I did put it on the right place and I havent found any other post that really matches my problem.

Anyway, I was so happy for being able to bring back stock rom on a rooted SGS2 I9100 who didnt worked proper with its root. In this case, no USB-debugging were necessary.
After this mission I felt ready to try to downgrade the SGS Advance I9070 from stock Jelly Bean to Stock Ginger Bread by mainly following one of all those tutorials about how to do it. And I know its said - enable USB-debugging.

But as I were interupted by my wife just before I were going to proceed, I totally forgot it when I finally went back to my work of downgrading. As I were a bit stressed, I just connected the phone to Odin and slammed the PDA-button like I did with the SGS2. It went smooth all the way through Odin and the green PASS showed up. But when the phone were about to boot up it stuck at the Samsung-logo. Its in a bootloop. After a short time of wondering about what went wrong, it struck my head I forgot to enable USB-debugging. Amen!

So, I forgot debugging while running JB-stock to downgrade to GB-stock. The only thing I can reach now is download-mode except the bootloop Samsung start interface. Its probably occured because I forgot enable debugging, right? And does it mean this device is bricked for real or is there anyway to bring back life?

Best regards // emsoh

LOL...:laugh: Wives will remain Wives!

The device is Soft Bricked and can be resurrected..did you follow this procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2195673 ?

Reactions: noob1512 and emsoh

emsoh

Jan 25, 2014

The device is Soft Bricked and can be resurrected..did you follow this procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2195673 ?

Haha.. Well, I had to drive her to the shop and that was enough to make me lose my patience of remembering important rules just because I had to go with other important rules. Like the gentleman I am. :fingers-crossed:

Thanx for reply. It makes me glad you do believe its possible to fix this issue. The link you showed is on of those I been looking at before I got started. But after a lot of comparing between several links from i-net, I decided to go with the procedure that the majority declared. For example, in this link its said "re-partition" must be ticked in. The other guides said not. Only "reboot" and "time-reset" to be ticked in.
The stock firmwire I downloaded were from some address connected to Samsung. It means there were only one file with all included just to insert in the PDA. Now, afterwards..I do understand it isent that hard to fill in 3 lines myself instead of one. But it seemed simplier with only one at that time. As I am a newbie about changing software in phones, I were ready to make mistakes but not this mistake and I really dont know what guides who are the best to go with.

Do you think it will make any difference if I go with your link and try again?

Remember, the phone were not rooted. Im really not sure, but I think I read somewhere that if debugging are not enabled on official kernel, theres no way back because cant reach debugging in any way. But I hope its not true.
Now, as far as I understand in my case...what I did was to erase the operation system I had (stock 4.1.2) and filled it up with (stock 2.3.6) but it only reached the gates and not the internal of the phone. It means there are no operating system at all?

Then why Odin shows PASS? And if no communication files can reach the phone, how is it possible that the counter now shows the phone has been rooted? Yes, I tried to root it today and Odin showed PASS again. And as the counter counts, it must mean the phone is not 100% blocked from communication even without debugging enabled?

But still the phone act as described earlier. Only Samsung-logo, bootloop and I can only go forward to download-mode.

:crying:

th3cr0w

Nov 24, 2012
Haha.. Well, I had to drive her to the shop and that was enough to make me lose my patience of remembering important rules just because I had to go with other important rules. Like the gentleman I am. :fingers-crossed:

Thanx for reply. It makes me glad you do believe its possible to fix this issue. The link you showed is on of those I been looking at before I got started. But after a lot of comparing between several links from i-net, I decided to go with the procedure that the majority declared. For example, in this link its said "re-partition" must be ticked in. The other guides said not. Only "reboot" and "time-reset" to be ticked in.
The stock firmwire I downloaded were from some address connected to Samsung. It means there were only one file with all included just to insert in the PDA. Now, afterwards..I do understand it isent that hard to fill in 3 lines myself instead of one. But it seemed simplier with only one at that time. As I am a newbie about changing software in phones, I were ready to make mistakes but not this mistake and I really dont know what guides who are the best to go with.

Remember, the phone were not rooted. Im really not sure, but I think I read somewhere that if debugging are not enabled on official kernel, theres no way back because cant reach debugging in any way. But I hope its not true.
Now, as far as I understand in my case...what I did was to erase the operation system I had (stock 4.1.2) and filled it up with (stock 2.3.6) but it only reached the gates and not the internal of the phone. It means there are no operating system at all?

Then why Odin shows PASS? And if no communication files can reach the phone, how is it possible that the counter now shows the phone has been rooted? Yes, I tried to root it today and Odin showed PASS again. And as the counter counts, it must mean the phone is not 100% blocked from communication even without debugging enabled?

But still the phone act as described earlier. Only Samsung-logo, bootloop and I can only go forward to download-mode.

Don't worry - as long as you have access to download mode you are fine :good:

I am not sure as I never downgraded to GB myself, but from my understanding of posts in here it is partitioning issue.
JB got different sizes or mount points (forgot exactly) of key partitions and that is what is wrong here - it cannot find some components to finish booting.

re-partition is the main thing here.

Get file from this guide.

Key point is:

9)Hit on PIT button and select the PIT file extracted from the downloaded package in first step above (GT-I9070_EUR_XX_8G.pit).

You should be able to use your 1-file-ROM and get it working, as long as you use .pit and tick re-partition.

Worst case scenario - flash JB again (no re-partition needed) and it will be working as before ;]

Reactions: emsoh

emsoh

Jan 25, 2014

I am not sure as I never downgraded to GB myself, but from my understanding of posts in here it is partitioning issue.
JB got different sizes or mount points (forgot exactly) of key partitions and that is what is wrong here - it cannot find some components to finish booting.

Key point is:

9)Hit on PIT button and select the PIT file extracted from the downloaded package in first step above (GT-I9070_EUR_XX_8G.pit).

You should be able to use your 1-file-ROM and get it working, as long as you use .pit and tick re-partition.

Worst case scenario - flash JB again (no re-partition needed) and it will be working as before ;]

Ok, it makes me a bit more calm and Im starting to believe a bit, theres a way back for the phone to rise again. So you mean it might not be the failure of missed debugging, instead the critical main thing can be re-partiton?! It sounds very possible based on what you said.

The thing now is, ofcourse I would be satisfied if my first plan come true. But right now I really dont care what version it´ll be running, rooted or not. I only want it to act like a smartphone again n matter what´s installed. So I will go with your advise and test it one by one.

Thanx so far! To be continued.. :)

emsoh

Jan 25, 2014
SOLVED Forgot USB-debugging downgrading

I must admit I didnt really believed it wud work even I hoped it wud do. Before I started the new operation I gave it the chances 75% negative and 25% positive. But I was so wrong.

It really passed!!

Im so thankful for the support. To arneldna who made me reconsider this current version and tutorial for firmware downgrade. And to th3cr0w who explained and really pointed out the missing spot in my failure of action during the installing process.

The solution - Just to be sure, I followed the tutorial exactly. When it rebooted it showed up not to be my country region so I did it again with my nordic region all-in-one tar-file. This time just to be safe, I enabled usb-debugging and also unknown sources. Idk if it had any use but just in case of. And Voila..back to my region and everything seems to be as it was the first time I started up the phone when it was new last summer. After that I did a factory reset which I learned is useful to do.

As this was only one of my childrens phones, I actually got 3 more of the same to downgrade to work smooth again. But now I learned another lesson. I hope! ;)

THANX A LOT to both of you! :good:

Reactions: arneldna

arneldna

Dec 15, 2012
I must admit I didnt really believed it wud work even I hoped it wud do. Before I started the new operation I gave it the chances 75% negative and 25% positive. But I was so wrong.

It really passed!!

Im so thankful for the support. To arneldna who made me reconsider this current version and tutorial for firmware downgrade. And to th3cr0w who explained and really pointed out the missing spot in my failure of action during the installing process.

The solution - Just to be sure, I followed the tutorial exactly. When it rebooted it showed up not to be my country region so I did it again with my nordic region all-in-one tar-file. This time just to be safe, I enabled usb-debugging and also unknown sources. Idk if it had any use but just in case of. And Voila..back to my region and everything seems to be as it was the first time I started up the phone when it was new last summer. After that I did a factory reset which I learned is useful to do.

As this was only one of my childrens phones, I actually got 3 more of the same to downgrade to work smooth again. But now I learned another lesson. I hope! ;)

Glad to know you fixed it.. Appreciate your patience and efforts... :thumbup:

You don't care where I sent it from....!

Reactions: noob1512

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

Best regards // emsoh

Key point is:

SOLVED Forgot USB-debugging downgrading

It really passed!!

It really passed!!

Glad to know you fixed it.. Appreciate your patience and efforts... :thumbup:

You don't care where I sent it from....!