[Q] SGH-i747 shows external SD card as "internal storage"

Search This thread

dionysius65

Nov 3, 2012
Latham
Good morning,

I have inadvertently found myself where my SGH-i747 running Cyanogenmod 4.4.2 nightly, presently 5/27/2014, shows storage as swapped. I.E. When I go to settings/storage I see 6GB external and 16 GB internal. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I'm getting insufficient storage available even though over 10 GB are shown as available. When I go into a file Explorer there are multiple emulated paths with redundant files/folders.

I'm looking for a thread that will show me how to format both internal and external storage followed by a reinstall of the OS. I've looked for days and while I see plenty of instructions where the OS sees the storage properly, I'm not sure it will work in my environment.

Does the fact that my phone has the storage swapped make a difference when doing a full blown format and reinstall?

If I do need to follow a different set of steps because my storage is logically swapped, would you please point me in the right direction?

My end goal is to have the majority of my storage usable. I have very few apps installed, no pictures, etc... Yet I'm constantly getting out of storage errors. If there's a simpler way than to format the whole device, reinstall OS then restore apps and data, please point me to the right post.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,
Frank

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Good morning,

I have inadvertently found myself where my SGH-i747 running Cyanogenmod 4.4.2 nightly, presently 5/27/2014, shows storage as swapped. I.E. When I go to settings/storage I see 6GB external and 16 GB internal. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I'm getting insufficient storage available even though over 10 GB are shown as available. When I go into a file Explorer there are multiple emulated paths with redundant files/folders.

I'm looking for a thread that will show me how to format both internal and external storage followed by a reinstall of the OS. I've looked for days and while I see plenty of instructions where the OS sees the storage properly, I'm not sure it will work in my environment.

Does the fact that my phone has the storage swapped make a difference when doing a full blown format and reinstall?

If I do need to follow a different set of steps because my storage is logically swapped, would you please point me in the right direction?

My end goal is to have the majority of my storage usable. I have very few apps installed, no pictures, etc... Yet I'm constantly getting out of storage errors. If there's a simpler way than to format the whole device, reinstall OS then restore apps and data, please point me to the right post.

Regards,
Frank

Do you see the same storage swap when you view your device on a computer rather than checking on the device itself? I would suggest you switch to a stable or (even if temporarily) stock ROM to see if there would be any changes. Once you've backed up your data, apps etc, a complete system restore would format your device whilst you can easily format the (external) SD card on your computer. Also check the SD card you are using to be sure it is legit and the listed storage capacity is indeed the actual storage. There have been quite a few complaints about SD cards purchased especially on places like eBay that are listed as one thing but are actually another.

crazymonkey05

Apr 1, 2012
stilwell, OK
Also idk if this helps but KitKat reads SD cards differently so you might be getting weird values

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk

chewingum16

Nov 26, 2012
algiers
Good morning,

Regards,
Frank

try to install this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix;)