Please rate the "KEWL" factor of this mod.

• This is old news man... you wasted your time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Awesome! Thanks for bringing this to TW KK 4.4.2.

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
An example of what I mean by ANIMATED STATUS BAR PULL DOWN BACKGROUND can be found HERE

This is the thread I followed to get a feel for how to do it. ---> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1143675

Ok, after seeing a few posts a few days ago talking about people having animated status bar pulldown backgrounds, I decided to do some research because I had never heard of this before.

I noticed that for some reason the mod stopped with ICS.

So I decided to create a thread on how to add this feature to your ROM, or the ROM you are currently running.

The edits are very simple, actually, pretty much exact to the GB version of the mod.... however, they can be a little time consuming based on just how many images you would like to add to your animation.

In POST #2, I have posted a guide on how to add add this feature to your TOUCHWIZ KITKAT 4.4.2 ND8/NDC ROM. (other phones also running touchwiz kitkat should be relatively similair, depending on if your systemui.apk is where the background is pulled from.)

In POST #3, I have posted a guide for user/themer's, on how to create your own animations and use them with this mod.

In POST #4, I have posted a guide on how to add animation to the statusbar PULLDOWN bar.

In POST #6 I would like to link to animations posted by you... To make it easier to find the animations... Why not have them posted in the thread explaining how to create them... But I'll need your help on this one.

I would like to send a thank you to....
@bilgerryan
@tdunham
@dazednconfused
@CNexus
and
@erikalin ...

Without your answers to a few questions I've had or tuts on how to do something... I wouldn't have this mod... Or a few others that I've put out....

So thank you guys for your help.

Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
Dev instructions

Dev instructions on how to add this mod to your touchwiz kitkat 4.4.2 based rom is located below:

Please remember to hit thanks if you like or use this mod.

NOTE: To get this to work with your rom... Read THIS POST..... To customize the animation read POST #3 and POST #4.

Step 1 - Download the AnimatedPulldownMod.zip I have attached below.

Step 2 - Open the zip and extract the two files somewhere on your desktop.

Step 3 - Decompile your systemui.apk from your rom using apktool or what ever tool you use to decompile apps.

Step 4 - Navigate to the res/drawable folder in your decompiled app and the "pulldown.xml" from my zip to this folder.....

Step 5 - Navigate to the res/drawable-xhdpi folder, (or whatever folder your rom uses), and do the same for the "pulldown_animxxxx.png" images into your open folder..... You can now delete my files.

Step 6 - Navigate to "res/layout" folder and open "status_bar_expanded.xml" open it with an xml editor such as notepad++ or virtuos ten studio.

Step 7 - In line 2 of that file you should see this..

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.notificationpanelview android:id="@id/notification_panel" android:background="@drawable/twcustom"................

change the background to look like this android:background="@drawable/pulldown" so the image background gets directed to the pulldown.xml file you just put in your res/drawable folder.

Step 8 - Save and close this file now to prevent any conflicts while recompiling the app.

Step 9 - Once you have the images in the proper folder, edited the status_bar_expanded.xml file, and put the pulldown.xml file in your res/drawable folder... Recompile your apk and name it something different, like new.apk...

Step 10 - Open both the original systemui.apk and the new new.apk you just built, with 7-zip (that is what i recommend)

Step 11 - Drag the resourses.arsc and classes.dex file from the new.apk into the original systemui.apk.... Do the same for the res folder in the new.apk

Step 12 - Add to your rom and enjoy!!!

Attachments

• AnimatedPulldownMod.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 629
Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
Dev/Themer Instructions

THEMER INSTRUCTIONS FOR CREATING YOUR OWN ANIMATIONS AND EDITING THE ABOVE FILES TO WORK WITH YOUR NEW ANIMATIONS.

This guide is assuming you have either performed the DEV MOD in the post above or you are on a rom that has.... AND..... you already have the custom images you would like to use for your animation. If you do not, I recommend reading the guide created by @erikalin on how to create your own images

If you ever want to learn, the tutorial I made up on another device thread shows the process. I made a video tutorial too - me talking and walking through the process of grabbing a video and turning it into an animation. FWIW, just sharing the love. Link is: written tutorial or video tutorial. Just replace with your own image sizes and file names, same process.

As stated above, the process is the same.

You could also search GOOGLE or XDA FORUMS for how to create frame by frame png animations... WARNING!!! It can be time consuming.

NOTE:Read POST #4 to learn how to create a flashable zip for other users of your, and all other roms based on your phone carriers android version that have the mod above, to use.

Ok, so if you want to use a different animation than what i have inside the mod, you will have to edit the xml inside of Systemui.apk.

Step 1 - Decompile the SystemUI.apk that already has the mod described in POST #2

Step 2 - Navigate to the res/drawable folder and open pulldown.xml

Step 3 - Count HOW MANY images are in your animation

Step 4 - Add or remove these lines
<item android:duration="100" android:drawable="@drawable/pulldown_animXXXX" />
in that xml file you just opened to match the amount of images in your animation (see the next step to see what to name the images)
(THIS FILE ONLY CONTAINS THIS SPECIFIC MOD... DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BREAKING ANYTHING ELSE IF YOU MESS UP...OTHER THAN THE SYSTEMUI FORCE CLOSING WHEN REBOOTING....THIS IS WHERE THE BACKUP COMES IN HANDY.... JUST FOLLOW THE NEXT STEP AND YOU WILL BE OK) (USE THAT FILE AS A TEMPLATE FOR HOW YOURS SHOULD LOOK ONCE FINISHED) (REMEMBER TO HIT SAVE ONCE YOU ARE DONE EDITING THIS XML FILE.)

Step 5 - Rename your images to "pulldown_animXXXX.png" ... replacing the "XXX" with numbers starting at 0 ---> so if you have 10 images, you will start with pulldown_anim0 and end with pulldown_anim9

Step 6 - Move those newly named images to the res/drawable-xhdpi folder

Step 7 - Recompile the app and name it something else other than SystemUI.apk

Step 8 - Open BOTH the original SystemUI.apk and the new apk you just created with 7-zip

Step 9 - Drag the "resources.arsc" file, "classes.dex" file and the entire "res" folder from the NEW apk INTO THE ORIGINAL SYSTEMUI.APK

Step 10 - Push the MODIFIED systemui.apk (NOT THE NEW ONE YOU JUST CREATED) into the priv/app folder on you phone with a root explorer and reboot..... or remove the systemui from my zip above and replace with yours and flash.....

Step 11 - ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
instructions for adding animated pulldown bar

Follow this if you are on the STOCK systemui.apk

Step 1 - Download the zip below.

Step 2 - In your decompiled systemui.apk, Navigate to the res/drawable folder and drop all 3 xmls from the zip, into this folder.

Step 3 - Navigate to the res/drawable-xhdpi and drop the images from the zip into this folder.

Step 4 - Recompile the apk and enjoy.

Note: Use the same methods for the previous posts to customize your own animation.... what i did was put the same animation on both the close and open animations.... but you can have one for opening and one for closing... your choice.

These are instructions courtesy of @talkingmonkeys for how to add the mod if you are using @dazednconfused single bar pulldown mod.

Open drawable/tw_close_handle_bg.xml and look for these 3 lines

Code:
<item android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@drawable/tw_close_handle_bg_press" />
    <item android:state_focused="true" android:drawable="@drawable/tw_close_handle_bg_press" />
    <item android:drawable="@drawable/tw_close_handle_bg_normal" />

Replace the above with this

Code:
<item android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@drawable/pulldown_bar_on" />
    <item android:drawable="@drawable/pulldown_bar_off" />

Attachments

• AnimatedPulldownBarMODFILES.zip
    240 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
This is where I would like to post links to flashable animations that you guys make using this guide.

As long as it is for a NDC (virgin/boost mobile) or ND8 (sprint) TOUCHWIZ KITKAT 4.4.2 based rom for the Galaxy S3, simply post your zip here with an ANIMATED pic of your animation, I will link it here in this post.

If you follow step 12 in @erikalin tutorial here

you can create an animated preview of the animation to post here for the screenshot....

I would like to thank anyone who creates and posts a zip for us to use in advance.... Thank you.

Last edited:

pharmdeon

Jun 12, 2013
Awesome! I love this mod! I just modified my systemui to include 111 images of the transformer in the other thread ... Changes d from Autobot to decepticon. Thanks for all of your work on this:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
Awesome! I love this mod! I just modified my systemui to include 111 images of the transformer in the other thread ... Changes d from Autobot to decepticon. Thanks for all of your work on this:thumbup::thumbup:

sweet... just follow the instructions in post 4 and you can create a flashable zip to use on the updated version of wicked x rom... as it will have the mod implemented according to @bilgerryan.... and any other rom for our phone that decides to implement this mod....

also, im going to use post 6 as a place to post links to the animations for this mod on our phone.. if ya wanna post it here i'll link it in post 6....

and if you follow step 12 in @erikalin tutorial here

you can create an animated preview of the animation to post here for the screenshot....

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013

Sweet... guess my issues going above 30 were isolated.... I WAS playing with the animation duration time so that was prolly my issue.

Sent from a Wicked Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 running KT747 Kernel on KITKAT Touchwiz.

Reactions: pharmdeon

pharmdeon

Jun 12, 2013
I wasnt successful turning the 111 image into a zip though. The systemui I modified works, but once I make a zip out of it and flash it, it breaks the apk as before. I went back to the working nandroid and was able to flash the other 28 image one that I put together (I went back and forth between the Autobot and deception anims)
I may be zipping the 111 image XML and images wrong though?? ... I was pretty tired last night when messing around.:)

Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
I wasnt successful turning the 111 image into a zip though. The systemui I modified works, but once I make a zip out of it and flash it, it breaks the apk as before. I went back to the working nandroid and was able to flash the other 28 image one that I put together (I went back and forth between the Autobot and deception anims)
I may be zipping the 111 image XML and images wrong though?? ... I was pretty tired last night when messing around.:)

If ya wanna post the systemui ya have with the new animation I'll take a look at it.

Sent from a Wicked Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 running KT747 Kernel on KITKAT Touchwiz.

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
I will send shortly

OK. After thinking about it... I do believe that it is my mod....

I don't think I have it set up to ALLOW FOR flashable zips with different amounts of images....

I may have to remove that post or redo the mod....

I would like to test my theory with what you have before I do that tho...

I would also like to state that i am not a dev... So I think its something that I wasn't aware of.....

But again I would like to test it before I go into all of that...

So when ever ya get a chance would be great.... Won't be able to redo the post or the mid for a few more hours.... So no rush... Just whenever ya get a chance.

Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
OK. first I have to apologize to you @pharmdeon and I have to thank you for discovering this issue before it became widespread.

Your problem IS MY MOD ITSELF and MY INSTRUCTION....

I truly apologize for this mistake and hope ya don't have any hard feelings ... I will work this out and try to get your animation to be flash able.....

For now just use your entire nodded apk since wicked x is really the only custom ROM right now.....

Last edited:
Reactions: pharmdeon

pharmdeon

Jun 12, 2013
OK. first I have to apologize to you @pharmdeon and I have to thank you for discovering this issue before it became widespread.

Your problem IS MY MOD ITSELF and MY INSTRUCTION....

I truly apologize for this mistake and hope ya don't have any hard feelings ... I will work this out and try to get your animation to be flash able.....

For now just use your entire nodded apk since wicked x is really the only custom ROM right now.....

No issuses at all:good::good: ... glad to "help". I am happy that this neat mod is around even if its not perfected, YET:fingers-crossed:. If you need help testing anything let me know (I've done my fare share of testing lately, lol:cyclops:)

Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
ok. so after some testing and failure... i have come to the conclusion that these will not be simply universal....

they will be rom specific.

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
ok. so after some testing and failure... i have come to the conclusion that these will not be simply universal....

I've actually been looking into this myself, because I want to implement the ability to be able to switch between static pulldowns and animated pulldowns for MOAR :)

What I was thinking is the following (for making ANY number of pulldown images work, including a static one)

In xml, remove the reference to @ drawabe/pulldown (we'll define it via smali)

Add an init.d script that reads SystemUI.apk, checks to see how many pulldown_XX pngs there are and dynamically generates a pulldown.xml file that references each of those files. It then places this pulldown.xml file somewhere in the system (/data, /sdcard whatever)

In the smali, SystemUI, instead of loading a drawable named pulldown from it's resources, loads the pulldown.xml file we created with the script (using the createFromPath method from the Drawable api) and voila, pulldown that animates if there are multiple images, or is static when there is only 1 image.

Last edited:

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
I've actually been looking into this myself, because I want to implement the ability to be able to switch between static pulldowns and animated pulldowns for MOAR :)

What I was thinking is the following (for making ANY number of pulldown images work, including a static one)

Add an init.d script that reads SystemUI.apk, checks to see how many pulldown_XX pngs there are and dynamically generates a pulldown.xml file that references each of those files. It then places this pulldown.xml file somewhere in the system (/data, /sdcard whatever)

In the smali, SystemUI, instead of loading a drawable named pulldown from it's resources, loads the pulldown.xml file we created with the script (using the createFromPath method from the Drawable api) and voila, pulldown that animates if there are multiple images, or is static when there is only 1 image.

And that's why ur the boss man....

I wish I had the knowledge to add those edits to smali.... But I have only made edits to smali that you and tdunham directed me to in ur flashlight thread.... When I was trying to workout the missing toggle icon issue....

Other than that I have absolutely no knowledge of CREATING lines in smali or working with strings....

I will have to wait to see what you do with the mod on moar to even get an idea of how to do this... But you would prolly become willing to edit it for wicked x before i could figure that out lol...

I AM a quick learner... As some may have noticed..... But that's a little to high above my current level of knowledge to even have something close this MONTH.....

Can't wait to see what ya do with it man............

And I feel kinda honored to see ya taking this mod even further... Even tho I'm technically not the creator.... Just the modder lol.

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
I Literally JUST edited post 4 and then i saw your post... .had to add that info to that post and re edit it lol.... cant wait to see what ya can do on that front man.... again... i will look at it to see if i can figure out what you are referring to (and i say that due to my level of knowledge on smali) but i will prolly not see it until i can compare with yours... but by then we can just use urs... maybe lol :p

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013

sitting here thinking about it... i had a thought since ya said the pulldown.xml would be placed SOMEWHERE....

how bout seeing if the init.d script can read another location for the images... such as "sdcard/pulldown animation".... and plays the animation from that location outside of the systemui.apk....... then have the smali point to that location on the sdcard.... just remove the background from systemui.apk completely.... then the animation can be changed by a simply placing the images in that folder and reboot without flashing or modding the apk at all....

there would be no need for users to need a computer to zip the file and no need for flashing.. just place and reboot

because (and i could be wrong) each flashable zip to change animations would need to have a script that removed the current images from the apk before placing the new animation.... otherwise, flashing a 30 image ani over a 50 image ani would give part of the old one playing at the end of the new one cause the pulldown.xml still reads that there are 50 images......

again... thats your front.... but was just an idea i had after reading your post again.... ur way would prolly be better.. this is just a thought that popped up, i always trying to mod things... even if it aint here yet apparently lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An example of what I mean by ANIMATED STATUS BAR PULL DOWN BACKGROUND can be found HERE

This is the thread I followed to get a feel for how to do it. ---> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1143675

Ok, after seeing a few posts a few days ago talking about people having animated status bar pulldown backgrounds, I decided to do some research because I had never heard of this before.

I noticed that for some reason the mod stopped with ICS.

So I decided to create a thread on how to add this feature to your ROM, or the ROM you are currently running.

The edits are very simple, actually, pretty much exact to the GB version of the mod.... however, they can be a little time consuming based on just how many images you would like to add to your animation.

In POST #2, I have posted a guide on how to add add this feature to your TOUCHWIZ KITKAT 4.4.2 ND8/NDC ROM. (other phones also running touchwiz kitkat should be relatively similair, depending on if your systemui.apk is where the background is pulled from.)

In POST #3, I have posted a guide for user/themer's, on how to create your own animations and use them with this mod.

In POST #4, I have posted a guide on how to add animation to the statusbar PULLDOWN bar.

In POST #6 I would like to link to animations posted by you... To make it easier to find the animations... Why not have them posted in the thread explaining how to create them... But I'll need your help on this one.

I would like to send a thank you to....
    @bilgerryan
    @tdunham
    @dazednconfused
    @CNexus
    and
    @erikalin ...

Without your answers to a few questions I've had or tuts on how to do something... I wouldn't have this mod... Or a few others that I've put out....

So thank you guys for your help.
    Dev instructions

Dev instructions on how to add this mod to your touchwiz kitkat 4.4.2 based rom is located below:

NOTE: To get this to work with your rom... Read THIS POST..... To customize the animation read POST #3 and POST #4.

Step 1 - Download the AnimatedPulldownMod.zip I have attached below.

Step 2 - Open the zip and extract the two files somewhere on your desktop.

Step 3 - Decompile your systemui.apk from your rom using apktool or what ever tool you use to decompile apps.

Step 4 - Navigate to the res/drawable folder in your decompiled app and the "pulldown.xml" from my zip to this folder.....

Step 5 - Navigate to the res/drawable-xhdpi folder, (or whatever folder your rom uses), and do the same for the "pulldown_animxxxx.png" images into your open folder..... You can now delete my files.

Step 6 - Navigate to "res/layout" folder and open "status_bar_expanded.xml" open it with an xml editor such as notepad++ or virtuos ten studio.

Step 7 - In line 2 of that file you should see this..

<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.notificationpanelview android:id="@id/notification_panel" android:background="@drawable/twcustom"................

change the background to look like this android:background="@drawable/pulldown" so the image background gets directed to the pulldown.xml file you just put in your res/drawable folder.

Step 8 - Save and close this file now to prevent any conflicts while recompiling the app.

Step 9 - Once you have the images in the proper folder, edited the status_bar_expanded.xml file, and put the pulldown.xml file in your res/drawable folder... Recompile your apk and name it something different, like new.apk...

Step 10 - Open both the original systemui.apk and the new new.apk you just built, with 7-zip (that is what i recommend)

Step 11 - Drag the resourses.arsc and classes.dex file from the new.apk into the original systemui.apk.... Do the same for the res folder in the new.apk

Step 12 - Add to your rom and enjoy!!!
    Dev/Themer Instructions

THEMER INSTRUCTIONS FOR CREATING YOUR OWN ANIMATIONS AND EDITING THE ABOVE FILES TO WORK WITH YOUR NEW ANIMATIONS.

This guide is assuming you have either performed the DEV MOD in the post above or you are on a rom that has.... AND..... you already have the custom images you would like to use for your animation. If you do not, I recommend reading the guide created by @erikalin on how to create your own images

If you ever want to learn, the tutorial I made up on another device thread shows the process. I made a video tutorial too - me talking and walking through the process of grabbing a video and turning it into an animation. FWIW, just sharing the love. Link is: written tutorial or video tutorial. Just replace with your own image sizes and file names, same process.

As stated above, the process is the same.

You could also search GOOGLE or XDA FORUMS for how to create frame by frame png animations... WARNING!!! It can be time consuming.

NOTE:Read POST #4 to learn how to create a flashable zip for other users of your, and all other roms based on your phone carriers android version that have the mod above, to use.

Ok, so if you want to use a different animation than what i have inside the mod, you will have to edit the xml inside of Systemui.apk.

Step 1 - Decompile the SystemUI.apk that already has the mod described in POST #2

Step 2 - Navigate to the res/drawable folder and open pulldown.xml

Step 3 - Count HOW MANY images are in your animation

Step 4 - Add or remove these lines
    <item android:duration="100" android:drawable="@drawable/pulldown_animXXXX" />
    in that xml file you just opened to match the amount of images in your animation (see the next step to see what to name the images)
    (THIS FILE ONLY CONTAINS THIS SPECIFIC MOD... DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BREAKING ANYTHING ELSE IF YOU MESS UP...OTHER THAN THE SYSTEMUI FORCE CLOSING WHEN REBOOTING....THIS IS WHERE THE BACKUP COMES IN HANDY.... JUST FOLLOW THE NEXT STEP AND YOU WILL BE OK) (USE THAT FILE AS A TEMPLATE FOR HOW YOURS SHOULD LOOK ONCE FINISHED) (REMEMBER TO HIT SAVE ONCE YOU ARE DONE EDITING THIS XML FILE.)

Step 5 - Rename your images to "pulldown_animXXXX.png" ... replacing the "XXX" with numbers starting at 0 ---> so if you have 10 images, you will start with pulldown_anim0 and end with pulldown_anim9

Step 6 - Move those newly named images to the res/drawable-xhdpi folder

Step 7 - Recompile the app and name it something else other than SystemUI.apk

Step 8 - Open BOTH the original SystemUI.apk and the new apk you just created with 7-zip

Step 9 - Drag the "resources.arsc" file, "classes.dex" file and the entire "res" folder from the NEW apk INTO THE ORIGINAL SYSTEMUI.APK

Step 10 - Push the MODIFIED systemui.apk (NOT THE NEW ONE YOU JUST CREATED) into the priv/app folder on you phone with a root explorer and reboot..... or remove the systemui from my zip above and replace with yours and flash.....

Step 11 - ENJOY!!!
    instructions for adding animated pulldown bar

Follow this if you are on the STOCK systemui.apk

Step 1 - Download the zip below.

Step 2 - In your decompiled systemui.apk, Navigate to the res/drawable folder and drop all 3 xmls from the zip, into this folder.

Step 3 - Navigate to the res/drawable-xhdpi and drop the images from the zip into this folder.

Step 4 - Recompile the apk and enjoy.

Note: Use the same methods for the previous posts to customize your own animation.... what i did was put the same animation on both the close and open animations.... but you can have one for opening and one for closing... your choice.

These are instructions courtesy of @talkingmonkeys for how to add the mod if you are using @dazednconfused single bar pulldown mod.

Open drawable/tw_close_handle_bg.xml and look for these 3 lines

Code:
    <item android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@drawable/tw_close_handle_bg_press" />
        <item android:state_focused="true" android:drawable="@drawable/tw_close_handle_bg_press" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/tw_close_handle_bg_normal" />

Replace the above with this

Code:
    <item android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@drawable/pulldown_bar_on" />
        <item android:drawable="@drawable/pulldown_bar_off" />