Bought a Galaxy Note 12.2 - mixed feelings...

Search This thread

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Well I picked up a Note 12.2 (black/32GB) Friday and well have some mixed feelings considering the cost.

1. Need to root for more multiwindow apps
2. Chrome performance is still lacking - Googles fault, not Samsung's but figured raw performance would address it.
3. Really hate the physical home button and cap buttons more then I even thought I would. Why Samsung thinks this is a good idea beats me!
4. Really don't like that everything is scaled up in size for the larger screen. I realize it's the same resolution as my Nexus 10 but a DPI setting would have addressed this. Just makes it feel cheap and like it's for old people or kids. Need to root to change DPI...
5. Seems Samsung took big step backwards on some S Pen apps. The demos I watch for the previous Note devices work much better and more streamlined then on the Note 12.2. Really not sold on the S Pen and think mine is going back for a Tab Pro 12.2 if it's released soon otherwise maybe just a outright return.
6. Seems really stupid they hide the menu button under the multitask button (long press). I know many apps have a menu button but for those that do not this could really throw off a person who is not resourceful. This is the kind of crap that backs up the idea that an iPad is easier to use.
7. Definitely some random lag. Why does Samsung need to over bloat everything. stock Android fits in like 300MB and TW Android is like 8GB!
8. Very limited development activity!

I probably have more to say just not coming to mind yet. If I keep it I simply have to root in order to address the DPI and multi-window apps. It's an expensive device to give up warranty on... Only on day 3, we'll see how the next few go...

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Totally understandable. Takes a bit of contemplation when the price is this high before deciding to root.

Having owned a Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the past, I knew going in though that there was no way i'd be satisfied with out of the box Touchwiz. I also knew that I wanted certain applications like Titanium Backup so I basically knew I was going to root from the moment I handed over my credit card to the cashier.

Good luck on your decision.

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
Thanks for the review it's a shame Samsung screwed this up. Had huge potential. Their latest products are not very impressive. I think you just made my mind to get the new Sony z2 tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the review it's a shame Samsung screwed this up. Had huge potential. Their latest products are not very impressive. I think you just made my mind to get the new Sony z2 tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Its not bad at all. .. Just a lot of money for something that is not near perfect. I thought about a Z2 buy really wanted a 12 inch tablet. Root will address mammy issues and Google improving Chrome performance will do a lot. I'm pretty sure I'm taking the note 12.2 back and getting a tab pro 12.2 as $100 is to much for the s pen unless you are going use it a lot. .

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
I feel the same about the bloat. Really, my only problem with the tablet was TouchWiz. I plan to root within the next few days (as long as I'm still enjoying the tablet). I, for one, ONLY got this for drawing and writing.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
This thread reminded me that I had bought button savior for another android device that I had so thanks for that. Currently using button savior with root and liking it. Nice to have home, back and menu buttons within reach now.

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Well after using my Note Pro 12.2 for week+ then trying my Nexus 10 again you really see how much better this tablet is. Decided to keep it, hopefully I'll find some value out of the S Pen. Just rooted it today so it's getting even better as I apply some tweaks (DPI, Chrome user agent, freezing apps, enable more multiwindow apps).

SonicTab

Nov 25, 2010
Had one for a few days...

Really nice screen size, like the larger fonts/UI as they are, easier to read and use compared to an iPad.

Disappointed in poor gallery performance showing 2560+ wide png images very slow render times.

Lag is still seen browsing the Web, eBay seems to bog it down . 8 cores and 3GB ram... Why?

PDF reading with EbookDroid improved but still short of Goodreader on the ipad.

Preferred the older gen of a snote, f (x) input / wolfram now gone.

Price given the issues above seems too high.

retrofred

Sep 25, 2006
canyon country
Too big

So I have had the Note 12.2 for a couple of days and all I can say that it is too big for me as a daily tablet. I will give it few more days of use and than decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

Last edited:

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Well I picked up a Note 12.2 (black/32GB) Friday and well have some mixed feelings considering the cost.

2. Chrome performance is still lacking - Googles fault, not Samsung's but figured raw performance would address it.
3. Really hate the physical home button and cap buttons more then I even thought I would. Why Samsung thinks this is a good idea beats me!
4. Really don't like that everything is scaled up in size for the larger screen. I realize it's the same resolution as my Nexus 10 but a DPI setting would have addressed this. Just makes it feel cheap and like it's for old people or kids. Need to root to change DPI...
5. Seems Samsung took big step backwards on some S Pen apps. The demos I watch for the previous Note devices work much better and more streamlined then on the Note 12.2. Really not sold on the S Pen and think mine is going back for a Tab Pro 12.2 if it's released soon otherwise maybe just a outright return.
6. Seems really stupid they hide the menu button under the multitask button (long press). I know many apps have a menu button but for those that do not this could really throw off a person who is not resourceful. This is the kind of crap that backs up the idea that an iPad is easier to use.
7. Definitely some random lag. Why does Samsung need to over bloat everything. stock Android fits in like 300MB and TW Android is like 8GB!

I probably have more to say just not coming to mind yet. If I keep it I simply have to root in order to address the DPI and multi-window apps. It's an expensive device to give up warranty on... Only on day 3, we'll see how the next few go...

1. No you don't there is an app for that.
2. Chrome sucks on anything. It literally is the worst. Dolphin and others can sync with desktop chrome and dolphin supports flash. You lost all credibility the moment you complained about chrome.
3. Samsung intends for it to be used mostly in portrait they are nice when used with a keyboard. But its ok to dislike it
4 . It's a bigger screen of course they made things bigger. It makes sense. If you want a smaller launcher use a different launcher. Or just root and adjust your dpi. Buy a third party protection plan like square trade and you dont have to worry about your warranty.
5. The spen apps have gotten better. Look around the forums. Many people had the old 10.1 and upon switching hated the new ones but have come to prefer the new apps. And if you "arent sold on the spen" why the #*@% did you pay extra for it?
6. Google has been pushing to get rid of the menu button. Samsung and some chinese oems are the only ones that still have it and samsung is the ONLY one that gives you the apps button and menu button. All apps should have an overflow in kitkat and samsung gives you this. 2 ways to get to a menu!! Dont you feel lucky!!
7. This device does not lag period. Ive only observed very slight jumps in graphics (the drop down bar almost exclusively) it is extremely smooth out of the box even before rooting and disabling apps. Your whining about a minor easily fixed graphical complaint (force gpu rendering and disable some bloat, no root required) which apparently ruins the entire tablet for you. As for bloat everything has bloat. When was thr last time you bought an LG phone or an iphone or hell even a nexus. Just so you know STOCK ANDROID DOESNT COME WITH GAPPS!!! So even nexus is bloat ridden. Samsung adds alot of functional applications. Most of the "bloat" is actually extremely useful if you are a business minded person. And you can disable alot of it. Just root and uninstall!
8. It is a 750 dollar 12 inch tablet with identical specs to a 500 dollar tablet and similar to some 350 dollar tablets. What do you expect devs (most that do this as a hobby) to just go running to best buy and grabbing it up? Also you keep complaining about rooting but you want dev activity which would mostly require root. Are you serious? Your like a bad tech reviewer that just found out rooting exists and cant device to hate or love it. If you want more dev activity buy another one and give it away to your favorite developer.

So in conclusion you dont know why you bought this tablet (Im thinking "ooh its big and shiny!!!" Had something to do with it) you didnt read the forums to see that the spen apps have been improved or that many of your complaints (ui lag and multiwindow apps) could be easily fixed, and your bipolar about rooting. I suggest you return it and purchase an ipad air. It might be a bit closer to your level.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Tried the non root app and it didn't work for all apps and most importantly some key apps that I need. They work fine now that I'm rooted and enabled them for multiwindow.

2. Chrome sucks on anything. It literally is the worst. Dolphin and others can sync with desktop chrome and dolphin supports flash. You lost all credibility the moment you complained about chrome.
I couldn't care less what you you think about my credibility. You clearly have a personality disorder! Already using Dophin w/flash (generally only for flash sites). I didn't know it would sync with Chrome so I may look into that although Chrome beta does perform a lot better then stable Chrome.

3. Samsung intends for it to be used mostly in portrait they are nice when used with a keyboard. But its ok to dislike it
Wrong, it's intended to be used in landscape. The wouldn't put the buttons on the bottom (holding in landscape) if it was meant to be used in portrait.

4 . It's a bigger screen of course they made things bigger. It makes sense. If you want a smaller launcher use a different launcher. Or just root and adjust your dpi. Buy a third party protection plan like square trade and you dont have to worry about your warranty.
Already rooted and the a different launcher (already using Apex) only adjusts the launcher icons, not overall DPI. You say of course... Well I disagree! To maintain a constant experience they should have adjusted the DPI. Bigger screen should mean more real estate, same size icons, not bigger everything!

5. The spen apps have gotten better. Look around the forums. Many people had the old 10.1 and upon switching hated the new ones but have come to prefer the new apps. And if you "arent sold on the spen" why the #*@% did you pay extra for it?
Well at the time the none pen (tab pro 12.2) was not available. Since you seem to think you know everything I would think you knew this. I had 14 days to return this and tab pro 12.2 was release within that time but I decided to keep the note. Wouldn't say I'm still sold on the pen but I plan to keep this tablet for at least 2 years and I'll get some use out of the pen. Will improve resale when I'm ready for the next tablet so I figure it's costing me about $50 premium which is really not that bad. So there you go... That is why the #*@% I got the Note instead of the Pro Tab 12.2.

6. Google has been pushing to get rid of the menu button. Samsung and some chinese oems are the only ones that still have it and samsung is the ONLY one that gives you the apps button and menu button. All apps should have an overflow in kitkat and samsung gives you this. 2 ways to get to a menu!! Dont you feel lucky!!
I have no idea what reality you live in but I have plenty of apps that don't have the menu button overlay and all tablets that use the on screen navbar buttons will show a menu button in the navbar when needed. You can call it what you will. I don't like Apple/iCrap anything but my point is that this can cause confusion for an inexperienced user (not me) and I'm sick of hearing the argument that iPads/iPhones are easier to use. This oversight by Samsung back up that claim for inexperienced users.

7. This device does not lag period. Ive only observed very slight jumps in graphics (the drop down bar almost exclusively) it is extremely smooth out of the box even before rooting and disabling apps. Your whining about a minor easily fixed graphical complaint (force gpu rendering and disable some bloat, no root required) which apparently ruins the entire tablet for you. As for bloat everything has bloat. When was thr last time you bought an LG phone or an iphone or hell even a nexus. Just so you know STOCK ANDROID DOESNT COME WITH GAPPS!!! So even nexus is bloat ridden. Samsung adds alot of functional applications. Most of the "bloat" is actually extremely useful if you are a business minded person. And you can disable alot of it. Just root and uninstall!

Samsungs ROMs contain a ton of bloat in the ROM code, it's not just the apps that take up the extra space. I know what stock Android is and that GAPPS needs to be loaded on ROMs like CM, AOKP, Paranoid, OmniROM. Been using these ROMs about as long as I have been using Android (@ 5 years). You can sit hear and defend Samsung all you want. I have had an S2, S3, S4, and the Note 12.2. Every single one of these device had some lag. It's not that big of deal or I wouldn't continue buying Samsung. I just really thought the raw horsepower of this tablet would make it smoother. My almost 2 year old Nexus 10 is smoother overall in the GUI, no question about it! The 12.2 clearly has more horsepower and I clearly see that in several apps I use that require a ton of processing power.

8. It is a 750 dollar 12 inch tablet with identical specs to a 500 dollar tablet and similar to some 350 dollar tablets. What do you expect devs (most that do this as a hobby) to just go running to best buy and grabbing it up? Also you keep complaining about rooting but you want dev activity which would mostly require root. Are you serious? Your like a bad tech reviewer that just found out rooting exists and cant device to hate or love it. If you want more dev activity buy another one and give it away to your favorite developer.

I've rooted every Android device I have ever owned. In addition to the list of phones above I've had a few other makes of phones and a few other tablets. I don't have an issue with rooting at all. Both my S3 and S4 were rooted the same say I got them. It was simply a little harder to root a $800 device with the understanding that it would void warranty. So I waited a couple weeks until I was sure I was keeping it and to ensure there were no hardware issues with the unit. So according you your response I guess it's not ok to state that there is limited to no developer activity. I was simply stating a fact but you seem to think that for some ****ing strange reason people can't state a fact without you ****ing lecturing them for stating suck a fact. Again, back to my statement in #2, you seriously do have a personality disorder. You should seek some help with that...

So in conclusion you dont know why you bought this tablet (Im thinking "ooh its big and shiny!!!" Had something to do with it) you didnt read the forums to see that the spen apps have been improved or that many of your complaints (ui lag and multiwindow apps) could be easily fixed, and your bipolar about rooting. I suggest you return it and purchase an ipad air. It might be a bit closer to your level.

There you go again running your mouth. I'd guess you are some spoiled kid who been taught no respect. To be clear, I bought this tablet for two reasons. First, I have been waiting a year for the next generation of tablets to replace my Nexus 10. Second, I have wanted a larger tablet and no one else makes a 12 inch tablet.

So in conclusion I don't know what your problem is. I posted up some good honest opinions on this tablet. You obviously don't think Samsung can do no wrong. I don't use Apple products but I'm not too childish to respect what they do right. I have never owned a iPad but do support a few of them so I'm not oblivious to how they work and compare to Android tablets. I assure you my "level" of technical skills is much higher then you could ever possibly imagine. I'd love to compare technical knowledge, experience, and pay rate any day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr_Muhsin

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Tried the non root app and it didn't work for all apps and most importantly some key apps that I need. They work fine now that I'm rooted and enabled them for multiwindow.

I couldn't care less what you you think about my credibility. You clearly have a personality disorder! Already using Dophin w/flash (generally only for flash sites). I didn't know it would sync with Chrome so I may look into that although Chrome beta does perform a lot better then stable Chrome.

Wrong, it's intended to be used in landscape. The wouldn't put the buttons on the bottom (holding in landscape) if it was meant to be used in portrait.
Sorry typo on my part. Meant landscape lol

Already rooted and the a different launcher (already using Apex) only adjusts the launcher icons, not overall DPI. You say of course... Well I disagree! To maintain a constant experience they should have adjusted the DPI. Bigger screen should mean more real estate, same size icons, not bigger everything!
Exposed and the app settings module would change dpi system wide or app specifically

Well at the time the none pen (tab pro 12.2) was not available. Since you seem to think you know everything I would think you knew this. I had 14 days to return this and tab pro 12.2 was release within that time but I decided to keep the note. Wouldn't say I'm still sold on the pen but I plan to keep this tablet for at least 2 years and I'll get some use out of the pen. Will improve resale when I'm ready for the next tablet so I figure it's costing me about $50 premium which is really not that bad. So there you go... That is why the #*@% I got the Note instead of the Pro Tab 12.2.

I have no idea what reality you live in but I have plenty of apps that don't have the menu button overlay and all tablets that use the on screen navbar buttons will show a menu button in the navbar when needed. You can call it what you will. I don't like Apple/iCrap anything but my point is that this can cause confusion for an inexperienced user (not me) and I'm sick of hearing the argument that iPads/iPhones are easier to use. This oversight by Samsung back up that claim for inexperienced users.

Yet that doesn't change the fact that Samsung is the only company giving you menu function at all does it? If it was a nexus you wouldn't have any sort of menu key. At least you have one. The ones I find most often that don't have overflows are emulators. This is because devs haven't updated their apps to include them.

Samsungs ROMs contain a ton of bloat in the ROM code, it's not just the apps that take up the extra space. I know what stock Android is and that GAPPS needs to be loaded on ROMs like CM, AOKP, Paranoid, OmniROM. Been using these ROMs about as long as I have been using Android (@ 5 years). You can sit hear and defend Samsung all you want. I have had an S2, S3, S4, and the Note 12.2. Every single one of these device had some lag. It's not that big of deal or I wouldn't continue buying Samsung. I just really thought the raw horsepower of this tablet would make it smoother. My almost 2 year old Nexus 10 is smoother overall in the GUI, no question about it! The 12.2 clearly has more horsepower and I clearly see that in several apps I use that require a ton of processing power.

I don't see the lag. It is a matter of perception. I have used a nexus side by side and feel the note is just as smooth. I'm not defending Samsung. They could of dine several things better, my issue really is that if you root (you did) all those issues can be fixed and it is an amazing device that speaks for itself.

I've rooted every Android device I have ever owned. In addition to the list of phones above I've had a few other makes of phones and a few other tablets. I don't have an issue with rooting at all. Both my S3 and S4 were rooted the same say I got them. It was simply a little harder to root a $800 device with the understanding that it would void warranty. So I waited a couple weeks until I was sure I was keeping it and to ensure there were no hardware issues with the unit. So according you your response I guess it's not ok to state that there is limited to no developer activity. I was simply stating a fact but you seem to think that for some ****ing strange reason people can't state a fact without you ****ing lecturing them for stating suck a fact. Again, back to my statement in #2, you seriously do have a personality disorder. You should seek some help with that...

No just that you stated it as a con bothered me. It is such an obvious downside with such an expensive device that it doesn't need to be said. And more importantly I had a thing going with the numbers.

There you go again running your mouth. I'd guess you are some spoiled kid who been taught no respect. To be clear, I bought this tablet for two reasons. First, I have been waiting a year for the next generation of tablets to replace my Nexus 10. Second, I have wanted a larger tablet and no one else makes a 12 inch tablet.

I like this much better. My issue before is that it seemed like a list of complaints (we get a lot of those)
This is you describing precisely why you bought it and the issues you have face. I have no issue now :)

So in conclusion I don't know what your problem is. I posted up some good honest opinions on this tablet. You obviously don't think Samsung can do no wrong. I don't use Apple products but I'm not too childish to respect what they do right. I have never owned a iPad but do support a few of them so I'm not oblivious to how they work and compare to Android tablets. I assure you my "level" of technical skills is much higher then you could ever possibly imagine. I'd love to compare technical knowledge, experience, and pay rate any day!

I make 150 dollars an hour at one job 962 dollars in 8 hours at another (typically ends up around 1500 a day though) and 8.50 an hour at another (keep it for the discounts.) Although I don't work in the tech field. I don't have the attention span for it. Love technology but coding is incredibly boring and tedious to me. I'm only learning it as hobbt to modify my own devices (and potentially release a rom one day) I'm not implying that I know more than you. More just bringing it to your attention that it was kind of a whiny post. It's much better now that you have described in detail your grievances. Also if your pay grade is so good why do you worry about the warranty? And if your tech skills are so good you should be our first Dev :D

Oh and yes I DO have a personality disorder. Kind of. I have aspbergers. A form of high functioning autism that manifests itself in social skills. I am very bad with social cues such as body language lol. I would rather be be alone than with people usually. Sadly my girlfriend doesn't agree. It is often found along side ADD. I also have that. It's OK though. People with ADD are typically very bright (which I am) That being said I intended to be a bit offensive. Your post was written In a way that got it very little attention. You get more responses ( I wouldn't have been a jack*#@) if it had been written just a bit differently a list of a problems will get nothing more than a return it from most people. Especially when you answer your own problems ( Rooting was a great solution) Good luck with the dpi change (I love adjusting apps individually instead of system wide) and I sincerely hope you enjoy the tablet for the next 2 years. I will. :)

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Oh and do ignore my typos and horribly punctuation/grammar. I'm in the middle of something.

Reactions: Android.Ninja

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sorry typo on my part. Meant landscape lol

Exposed and the app settings module would change dpi system wide or app specifically

Yet that doesn't change the fact that Samsung is the only company giving you menu function at all does it? If it was a nexus you wouldn't have any sort of menu key. At least you have one. The ones I find most often that don't have overflows are emulators. This is because devs haven't updated their apps to include them.

I don't see the lag. It is a matter of perception. I have used a nexus side by side and feel the note is just as smooth. I'm not defending Samsung. They could of dine several things better, my issue really is that if you root (you did) all those issues can be fixed and it is an amazing device that speaks for itself.

No just that you stated it as a con bothered me. It is such an obvious downside with such an expensive device that it doesn't need to be said. And more importantly I had a thing going with the numbers.

I like this much better. My issue before is that it seemed like a list of complaints (we get a lot of those)
    This is you describing precisely why you bought it and the issues you have face. I have no issue now :)

I make 150 dollars an hour at one job 962 dollars in 8 hours at another (typically ends up around 1500 a day though) and 8.50 an hour at another (keep it for the discounts.) Although I don't work in the tech field. I don't have the attention span for it. Love technology but coding is incredibly boring and tedious to me. I'm only learning it as hobbt to modify my own devices (and potentially release a rom one day) I'm not implying that I know more than you. More just bringing it to your attention that it was kind of a whiny post. It's much better now that you have described in detail your grievances. Also if your pay grade is so good why do you worry about the warranty? And if your tech skills are so good you should be our first Dev :D

Oh and yes I DO have a personality disorder. Kind of. I have aspbergers. A form of high functioning autism that manifests itself in social skills. I am very bad with social cues such as body language lol. I would rather be be alone than with people usually. Sadly my girlfriend doesn't agree. It is often found along side ADD. I also have that. It's OK though. People with ADD are typically very bright (which I am) That being said I intended to be a bit offensive. Your post was written In a way that got it very little attention. You get more responses ( I wouldn't have been a jack*#@) if it had been written just a bit differently a list of a problems will get nothing more than a return it from most people. Especially when you answer your own problems ( Rooting was a great solution) Good luck with the dpi change (I love adjusting apps individually instead of system wide) and I sincerely hope you enjoy the tablet for the next 2 years. I will. :)

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Oh and do ignore my typos and horribly punctuation/grammar. I'm in the middle of something.