No official ICS for unlocked bootloaders ?

Search This thread

o0o.paw

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
I just read on the Sony Developer site that the ICS update will not be available for those with an unlocked bootlader WTF ?

"Also, if you unlock the boot loader, you will not be able to download and install the final Ice Cream Sandwich software upgrade for Xperia™ phones."

Just look for the article "ICS beta ROM now available for unlocked Xperia™ PLAY smartphones" .. it's about 3/4 down the page :?(

MrBrightside

May 8, 2009
Salzburg
Good thing I unlocked via Testpoint method...

I think it could be possible that SEUS or PC Companion are checking IMEI, if the phone was unlocked via Sony...
simple relock won't do it I guess :/

But don't worry, a few days after our devs will come up with a flashable generic and prerooted rom ;)

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
I just read on the Sony Developer site that the ICS update will not be available for those with an unlocked bootlader WTF ?

"Also, if you unlock the boot loader, you will not be able to download and install the final Ice Cream Sandwich software upgrade for Xperia™ phones."

Just look for the article "ICS beta ROM now available for unlocked Xperia™ PLAY smartphones" .. it's about 3/4 down the page :?(

That is because DRM keys are lost, which are needed to use PC Companion and Update Service to update phone firmware.

It is not sure, if relocking will do the deal or not, as least not before it is released.

metalrawk

Oct 6, 2011
Dude, didn't you read when unlocking bootloader? its written in big red fonts on bootloader unlock page that you will not get further updates after unlocking.

zariin

Oct 24, 2011
Tallinn
Officially, the bootloader can only be unlocked, that's why the warning with red letters.
Unofficially, it is possible to relock the bootloader and after that it's possible to update software again. I tested it multiple times.
The only thing You loose permanently is the DRM. Cheers!

Top Liked Posts