[Q] Nexus Q stops playing music after 20 min

Search This thread

Fit101

Jan 12, 2011
I have a Q that stops playing music after 20 min and displays "music player has stopped". When I restart it, it displays "cannot play the stream you requested". It still shows I'm connected to the Q and allows me to add music to it but will not allow me to play music until I reset it by unplugging it and plugging it back in. It then will play for another 20 to 30 minutes before it displays the same message again. I've tried using the Ethernet connection as well instead of WiFi...still has the same issue.

Any ideas? I'm getting frustrated...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

BitVenom

Jun 30, 2010
I have a Q that stops playing music after 20 min and displays "music player has stopped". When I restart it, it displays "cannot play the stream you requested". It still shows I'm connected to the Q and allows me to add music to it but will not allow me to play music until I reset it by unplugging it and plugging it back in. It then will play for another 20 to 30 minutes before it displays the same message again. I've tried using the Ethernet connection as well instead of WiFi...still has the same issue.

Any ideas? I'm getting frustrated...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto - it was acting this way a while ago, but only over the last few days has it gotten like this. I've got 10k+ songs up on Play (and yeah, I use the service to buy music when possible) - so this ranks as extremely annoying...

Cheers!

Fit101

Jan 12, 2011
The interesting thing is that in my Google Music account it shows what devices I have that are authorized to access Google Music, however the Nexus Q does not show up on that list. This is concerning to me, I wonder if it has something to do with why the Q is shutting music down intermittently like that.

natojohnson

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think the Q has ever shown up in the authorized device list (and don't think it should since anyone should be able to play music through it).

As for the issue playing music - I see this as well on all of my Qs (3) and it sucks.

BitVenom

Jun 30, 2010
I know this is unsupported hardware - but at least for me, this device sort of fulfills the promise of what makes Play Music 'tick' - and I use it as intended daily. So this thing just blowing up and not working (and I was just about to grab another from eBay) - blows, hard. Since there's nothing to replace it at the moment aside from moving to another 'ecology'.... (Sonos, etc)...

natojohnson

Jul 13, 2010
It seems that it stopped working correctly for me somewhere around the last update of the Play Music app (no hard data on this, just seems about the right timeframe to me). So I'm hoping another update fixes it. As I said, I have 3 Qs and all of them have this problem so getting another from ebay won't fix your issue (EDIT: misread your post on reasons for getting another...I'm holding out hope that i/o this year will shed some light on future support of these devices - if not, as long as they keep them working as they were i'll be happy enough).

Last edited:

agalvin13

May 16, 2012
I am also having a lot of connectivity issues with my Q lately. I was starting to think it was my rom on my phone causing it but am now starting to wonder if this is a server side issue with google play.

I am running AOKP PUB, Franco r102 and the volume boost mod on my nexus 4. I previously was running stock and feel like these issues were not happening until flashing these roms / mods.

Edit : good theory about the google play / services update.

Last edited:

Fit101

Jan 12, 2011
natojohnsonwros16838 said:
I don't think the Q has ever shown up in the authorized device list (and don't think it should since anyone should be able to play music through it).

As for the issue playing music - I see this as well on all of my Qs (3) and it sucks.

I would think that considering you need a Android device to initially sync it with your Google Music account, you're accessing your music account as one of your devices and therefore should show up on your device list...but I could be wrong.

BitVenom

Jun 30, 2010
I don't think that was ever right - remember, a Nexus Q can play content from _any_ compatible device's content stream - it piggyback's that device's authorization for a specific track or video - that's why it works well for groups... anyone can add any of _their_ content to it's playlist.

So I don't think device or account specific auth is the core issue. I think it's related to lack of updates as the play service backend changes, certainly - but little else...

I sort of think that Googlers themselves with Nexus Qs that see these issues will ultimately come to our rescue - but it will be slow to happen...

cougle

Apr 1, 2006
Same problem with my nexus q and the latest Google music update.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
After seeing this thread I've been playing music for over an hour with no issues. Maybe its fixed? Maybe it only effects some users?

I should add that I'm using both a stock Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7 to control the Q.

Fit101

Jan 12, 2011
After seeing this thread I've been playing music for over an hour with no issues. Maybe its fixed? Maybe it only effects some users?

I should add that I'm using both a stock Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7 to control the Q.

Are you dropping one song at a time on the Q or are you sending a whole play list and letting it run?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Are you dropping one song at a time on the Q or are you sending a whole play list and letting it run?

First, I played a short 28 min album from my Nexus 7. Then, queue'd up a few songs from my N4 to play after the album was over. Played without an issue.

I've scrolled through tracks just to test that out as well.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Looks like I've spoken too soon. Just ran into the "couldn't play the stream you requested" problem. The blue ring is on my tv with the track info floating over it. Nothing is playing.

Last edited:

Fit101

Jan 12, 2011
First, I played a short 28 min album from my Nexus 7. Then, queue'd up a few songs from my N4 to play after the album was over. Played without an issue.

I've scrolled through tracks just to test that out as well.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Looks like I've spoken too soon. Just ran into the "couldn't play the stream you requested" problem. The blue ring is on my tv with the track info floating over it. Nothing is playing.

Yes, sounds like you are sharing the same issue we are. There's an old saying "Misery loves company"...I just hope Google gets off their rear end and fixes this. I built a whole kiosk at my business dedicated to the Nexus Q and the ability to allow my members with Android devices to stream music to it. Now I kind of feel like an arse.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I wonder who we can get a hold of to let Google know about the issue. I have a feeling contacting support would be useless. Anyone know who the engineers were that worked on the Q? I wonder if we could ping them on G+ or something. I'm sure there isn't a big enough user base for the tech sites to cover it, so going that route wouldn't work either.

I mean I love the Q but it does 2 things and 1 of them doesn't work. That should be a big enough issue for Google to fix.

Fit101

Jan 12, 2011
I wonder who we can get a hold of to let Google know about the issue. I have a feeling contacting support would be useless. Anyone know who the engineers were that worked on the Q? I wonder if we could ping them on G+ or something. I'm sure there isn't a big enough user base for the tech sites to cover it, so going that route wouldn't work either.

I mean I love the Q but it does 2 things and 1 of them doesn't work. That should be a big enough issue for Google to fix.

I did contact Google tech support in the beginning when it first started happening, and have been in contact with them via email ever since. Because of the limited quantity of units out there, the tech support has very little data, nor much ability to help. I have also emailed them a link to this thread in hopes that it would spark some deeper tech support. It may help if we all follow that route, Maybe the squeaky wheel gets the grease? LOL

Reactions: El Daddy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did contact Google tech support in the beginning when it first started happening, and have been in contact with them via email ever since. Because of the limited quantity of units out there, the tech support has very little data, nor much ability to help. I have also emailed them a link to this thread in hopes that it would spark some deeper tech support. It may help if we all follow that route, Maybe the squeaky wheel gets the grease? LOL
    per the google code thread I created. Google is aware of the issue and is looking into it. :good:
    This has nothing to do with the Q, but offers a solution that gives similar functionality. For those who have a roku box, I have been told you can download this app and access your google music library and all access. Obviously not as good as the Q but it is something.

https://owner.roku.com/Add/nowheremusic