[Q] How does Google Navigation work? Does it depend on GPS or cellular network?

Search This thread
How does Google Navigation work? Does it depend on GPS or cellular network or both?

I have a Tmobile Note 3 and sometimes, when my mobile data is showing "E" the Google Maps app can't even get a GPS lock?

Is it the phone? Do I have a lemon?

My friend has a Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon and her Google Maps worked just fine. Her data was showing 4G LTE.

Is anyone here an expert on how Google Maps works? I thought it only needed GPS? I tried all the different GPS settings ("full", power save, GPS only, etc) and none of them made any difference.

jdomadia

Jan 28, 2013
DUBAI/INDIA
I m not an expert, just sharing with you what i know, Google maps can work only on gps but with data pcg locking to gps & loading of maps will be much faster, navigation is a feature now built inside Google maps required internet for navigat to certain destination.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Neo3D

@SidDev

Aug 26, 2013
Kolkata
How does Google Navigation work? Does it depend on GPS or cellular network or both?

I have a Tmobile Note 3 and sometimes, when my mobile data is showing "E" the Google Maps app can't even get a GPS lock?

My friend has a Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon and her Google Maps worked just fine. Her data was showing 4G LTE.

Is anyone here an expert on how Google Maps works? I thought it only needed GPS? I tried all the different GPS settings ("full", power save, GPS only, etc) and none of them made any difference.

you can use Google Maps without GPS also, its gets location from the cellular towers around you. but its not always perfect as towers can be near you or far away

So for perfect accuracy GPS is required. GPS lock depends on many reason.

soumen.sam

May 14, 2014

"E" mean edge which is 2.4g network and slower internet. with "E" the maps slower to download map images, sometime very slower it cant load the full map and it stuck. as the map not loaded the gps doesnt work.

I'm not on Tmobile but whenever I'm traveling on rural areas out of the city, it doesnt work properly until it get a HSPDA network. and for this situation its better to keep it in high accuracy mode, but without gps the navigation doesnt give proper location.

dimourinho

Apr 10, 2011
Google maps can work only with gps & data/wifi...But i think if you search on the internet, there is a way to work gMaps and navigate offline!!

"E" mean edge which is 2.4g network and slower internet. with "E" the maps slower to download map images, sometime very slower it cant load the full map and it stuck. as the map not loaded the gps doesnt work.

I'm not on Tmobile but whenever I'm traveling on rural areas out of the city, it doesnt work properly until it get a HSPDA network. and for this situation its better to keep it in high accuracy mode, but without gps the navigation doesnt give proper location.

When I'm on "E," it says "Searching for GPS" like forever and never locks. It's quite frustrating.

soumen.sam

May 14, 2014
When I'm on "E," it says "Searching for GPS" like forever and never locks. It's quite frustrating.

Try do the same thing on a high speed network like wifi, hspds. If that doesnt work go to app, clear all google map app data and cache and then try again.

Please make sure if you have the issue with the GPS hardware then it will does same on highspeed network too. Mine does something same, but i forgot how it does on Edge.

Also what type of cover you're using, if any. magnets of cover sometime malfunction hardware, like compass spen etc, mine effect on spen. So if you're using any cover with magnet the try with removing it.

According to me this phone could malfunction any hardware, its nothing weird, mine vibration doesnt working these days, its a 6month new phone and never dropped.

Try do the same thing on a high speed network like wifi, hspds. If that doesnt work go to app, clear all google map app data and cache and then try again.

Please make sure if you have the issue with the GPS hardware then it will does same on highspeed network too. Mine does something same, but i forgot how it does on Edge.

Also what type of cover you're using, if any. magnets of cover sometime malfunction hardware, like compass spen etc, mine effect on spen. So if you're using any cover with magnet the try with removing it.

According to me this phone could malfunction any hardware, its nothing weird, mine vibration doesnt working these days, its a 6month new phone and never dropped.

The GPS lock works fine when I have LTE. But, the arrow thing looks like it's drifting when I'm driving sometimes. For example, it sometimes doesn't point in the same direction that I'm driving. I tried resetting my compass with the figure 8 trick already, doesn't help.

I have a TPU cover.

Last edited:

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Let's start from the beginning:
You can set what is used for your location:
under KK my phone has following options:
1 High accuracy - uses GPS, wifi and cell network
2 power save - uses wifi and mobile network only
3 gps only

So the question is not "what is used for location", but "how is your phone set up?"
Any other setting but 1st, will have issues.
if settings are proper then try using GPS test or gps status program to see if hardware is working properly. if that's ok, maybe need to clear cache or reinstall program.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I m not an expert, just sharing with you what i know, Google maps can work only on gps but with data pcg locking to gps & loading of maps will be much faster, navigation is a feature now built inside Google maps required internet for navigat to certain destination.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

you can use Google Maps without GPS also, its gets location from the cellular towers around you. but its not always perfect as towers can be near you or far away

So for perfect accuracy GPS is required. GPS lock depends on many reason.
    You know one thing? If your maps are cached, you don't even need internet to get a GPS lock......

Sent from my amazing Exynos Note 3.

Google maps can work only with gps & data/wifi...But i think if you search on the internet, there is a way to work gMaps and navigate offline!!