[REVIEW / DOA SO FAR] Official Malata USB/LAN Adapter

Search This thread

pgonza02

Apr 1, 2008
Miami, FL
When I saw this, I decided to try an adapter I had lying around to see if it worked. It's a Netgear FA120.

Works same as using the dock, except no power needed.
Here is what I did.
1. Tablet off.
2. Plug in adapter to tablet and ethernet.
3. Power on tablet.
4. Run terminal emulator.
5. Type:
su <- switches to power user
netcfg eth0 dhcp <- enables ethernet adapter using dhcp
setprop net.dns1 192.168.1.1 <- sets the DNS server to my router's address, you need to substitute by your own router's address.

I have found a couple of issues with ethernet connectivity, one of them being that when you try to download something from the market, the download seems to start and just hangs at 0%. Not sure why this is, but I'm afraid that the download process might be trying to use the WiFi adapter...just my guess.

Hope this helps.

dnrymrcl

Jun 11, 2011
got mine working

When I saw this, I decided to try an adapter I had lying around to see if it worked. It's a Netgear FA120.

Works same as using the dock, except no power needed.
Here is what I did.
1. Tablet off.
2. Plug in adapter to tablet and ethernet.
3. Power on tablet.
4. Run terminal emulator.
5. Type:
su <- switches to power user
netcfg eth0 dhcp <- enables ethernet adapter using dhcp
setprop net.dns1 192.168.1.1 <- sets the DNS server to my router's address, you need to substitute by your own router's address.

I have found a couple of issues with ethernet connectivity, one of them being that when you try to download something from the market, the download seems to start and just hangs at 0%. Not sure why this is, but I'm afraid that the download process might be trying to use the WiFi adapter...just my guess.

Hope this helps.

Thanks pgonza02
I followed your instructions and bam working well for me.
I bought mine at amazon, since i can't post the link, search for USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter for $6.99 and the seller is Deals International. Shipping was fast too

aasoror

Jun 24, 2008
Kitchener, ON
Xiaomi Mi A2
Thanks pgonza02
I bought mine at amazon, since i can't post the link, search for USB 2.0 to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter for $6.99 and the seller is Deals International. Shipping was fast too

Here you are:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-RJ-45...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309302266&sr=1-7

That said, how about this for $4 ?
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309302266&sr=1-1

johny.mnemonic

Dec 11, 2006
Praha
Thanks pgonza02

Could you please check what chipset is this adapter using? Maybe also other cheap adapters will work, if they have the same chipset...
I saw lot of others has DM9601 or DM9610 chipset.

I would like to buy this one, but Deals International asks 38$ for shipping...bit too much for this little thing.

johny.mnemonic

Dec 11, 2006
Praha

aasoror

Jun 24, 2008
Kitchener, ON
Xiaomi Mi A2
I am sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, the one reported to work has the "dm9601 " chipset (according to an amazon review).

My reply about the SR9600 was regarding the dealextreme link someone posted earlier.

Thanks for info.

So I just got this device for 3.3$:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320697720334

According to the driver CD it is also using SR9600, but my rom doesn't not recognize it.
Could you please check which module is loaded in kernel for your adapter?
In case you don't know how to do that, please issue "lsmod" in Terminal or ConnectBot.

Reactions: johny.mnemonic

johny.mnemonic

Dec 11, 2006
Praha
I am sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, the one reported to work has the "dm9601 " chipset (according to an amazon review).

My reply about the SR9600 was regarding the dealextreme link someone posted earlier.

No probs. It looks like these two chips are either completely identical or at least can use the same driver.

But what I need is to get info what kernel module is loaded for this adapter on android ROM where it works.

So, dnrymrcl, could you please check what module is your kernel using for your module?

poerat

Jun 24, 2008
I do IT allot and I have been looking for an easier way to test ethernet connectivity, this is def something i would buy!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for info.

So I just got this device for 3.3$:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320697720334

According to the driver CD it is also using SR9600, but my rom doesn't not recognize it.
    Could you please check which module is loaded in kernel for your adapter?
    In case you don't know how to do that, please issue "lsmod" in Terminal or ConnectBot.