Is it just me, or do games run badly on ICS?

Search This thread

unity04

Apr 5, 2011
I've owned Android devices prior the Nexus, and one thing that's always bothered me is that my Android could never run games as smoothly as the iPhone, while it has more power under the hood. I download Fruit Ninja and Scrambled on my Nexus and it seems to lag and stutters... are all games like this on the Nexus?

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
I would think it's because the game is not optimized for ICS yet. So you will get some lag and stuttering with those games.

cbutt

Jan 13, 2011
Yonkers, NY
What rom/kernel combo you running? On aokp & franco kernel, I play jelly defense, battle heart, scramble with friends, draw something, sprinkle, etc & have no lag...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Baguett

Feb 18, 2011
Temple Run is lagging when you play it for a while, same with many other 3D games....

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
AOKP + franco r135 512mhz GPU and I have no lag in games. Little Empire, Dead Space, Modern Combat 3, Legendary Heroes, Zenonia 4. I run those and more all lag free and atleast 50-60 fps at all times.

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
I really think it's just software optimizaitons that need to be done imo. I'm sure with time it'll get better. Cause I'm running Temple Run perfectly o_O no lag/stutters.

Last edited:

biffsmash

Nov 19, 2007
I personally wouldn't play Fruit ninja as they were in news in hot water over passing on our details.

As for games on Galaxy Nexus, they run slower than SGS2 and I think that's simply the limitations of the graphics chip which is as old as the hills.

HinotoriBR

Apr 2, 2011
São Paulo
I use a GSM Galaxy Nexus, stock, no overclock, no frills, just rooted to use Titanium Backup, never had any lags in Fruit Ninja, runs fine... Temple Run, ocasionally will stutter, but it is rare and most of the time I just play 20, 30 times and no stutter at all... GTA III also plays fine.

Obviously it is not the best performer, and, as you probably now, there is the same iPhone 4 GPU under the hood of our devices, only that it got extra memory bandwidth and extra clock to perform better (and also a HD screen that will eat-up some of this extra performance)... But I believe, at least as far as my own experience goes, that it is a decent performer, altough there are better alternatives as far as gaming goes (and I would believe that probably HTC One X would be the best Android gaming phone alternative as far as graphic performance is concerned right now).

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
384 is the stock clock =/= 2x gpu clock. Even then it only makes a 5-6 fps differnece in most circumstances. Could have better results in different apps but nenamark i saw a 5-6 fps difference.

I have almost the same exact scenario, unlocked almost everything with no lag issues what so ever.

It doesn´t lag, bit it run like at 25fps or so, not as smooth as 60fps (I am refering when there are many coins in the screen and you are running too fast)

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
How are you quantifying that it runs at 25fps? Is there a fps counter somewhere?

G

GuestK0097

Temple Run is lagging when you play it for a while, same with many other 3D games....

nope, not for me. it runs even smoother than the version for the iphone :p.
maybe the gpu in the nexus is not the fastest one, maybe there are other phones that are much faster.... I DON'T CARE! i didn't bought my nexus to play games all day, i bought it to synchronize my calender, my notes, make calls and write sms and maybe some internet surfing.

you also all bought this phone, so why complain? it's like buying yourself a motorbike and then complaining about the fact that it only has 2 wheels.

Last edited:

MikeDaSpike

Jan 20, 2010
Enabling Force GPU acceleration in the developer options under Settings might improve the performance of some games. Although it will might also make some games look weird.

nonione

Aug 10, 2009
S.S.
i play gta iii, MC3, wind-up knight, shadow gun and fifa and no lag whatsoever

oh and drawsome too lol!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry but that is absolutely false.

You can absolutely tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps.

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Also if you've ever played any racing or fps on a console, its comically obvious when a game is running at 60fps vs 30fps..

The human eye can detect only 24. Hence why movies are shot in 24fps. Game developers only "OPT" for 60 as a base so that in heavy scenes when frames drop, it will still be above 24fps so the user won't see any stutter.

So a game built at 30fps or 25fps will look just as good as 60fps or 1000fps as long as they never dip below 24fps.

Games run fine here btw.

So I take it no phone meets your standards for games, seeing how vsync caps them all at 60 fps.

I highly doubt you can tell the difference between 60 and 70...

Tell me what the difference is?

10 fps. Duh. Lol. I crack myself up.

bow chicka wow wow.
    Kids don't have over 17 years of gaming experience (or in my case, 19)...

Or 24 years in my case.

That animation about the FPS is retarded btw. I do flash animations and my best friend is a film director/editor in LA. Flash cuts out frames to achieve lower FPS. If you record in 24fps you will have the same output as recording at 60fps.

Hell most flash animations are 12fps.

If they were equal, they should have the same speed motions as the rest of them. The "60fps" clip is moving faster then the rest. If it was displaying the same video it would be synced by time. All video is synced by time. The example is not synced by time thus cannot be compared directly.

I'm just stating a fact that the human eye can only intercept and process 24fps. Its a scientific fact. Hence why all movies and video broadcasts are recorded and displayed as such.

Faster FPS in gaming is only good to keep the game from dropping below the thresh hold. If your game only runs 30fps during light action scenes then it will drop and stutter in heavy action scenes.