[Q] Best ICS Rom?

Search This thread

chris_sd

Oct 18, 2007
For you guys that have tried all of the ICS ROM's, which one do you recommend?

It is hard to determine from the threads as they don't list what is working/not working. The ones i can see available right now are:

1) AOKP
2) Genesis
3) Owain
4) Hellfire
5) Eaglesblood AOSP

Thanks, Chris

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
For you guys that have tried all of the ICS ROM's, which one do you recommend?

It is hard to determine from the threads as they don't list what is working/not working. The ones i can see available right now are:

1) AOKP
2) Genesis
3) Owain
4) Hellfire
5) Eaglesblood AOSP

Thanks, Chris

Just search the threads for the word working. Or look at the other threads like this, there's a ton of e'm

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

chris_sd

Oct 18, 2007
This is exactly what i want to avoid. Reading through thousands of posts or flashing and using several different roms. I am looking for input from people who have already done this.

russell956956

Mar 19, 2011
Laredo Tx
This is exactly what i want to avoid. Reading through thousands of posts or flashing and using several different roms. I am looking for input from people who have already done this.

I dont mean to bash or anything, but there are many threads very similiar to this one, and you cant really base yourself on other people's input because every phone
is different. Most of the time someones ROM+Kernel combo might be very terrible on your phone while some might even work fime. Regardless of whether you want to do it or not, the best way to find out what the 'best' ROM is would be to flash and use every ROM you think is interesting and in the end decide which one worked best on your phone and then go on and try different Kernels to see if there is any improvement.

Again i dont meant to flame.

Good luck! :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

lannister80

Jul 20, 2010
Chicagoland
I usually don't respond to topics like this, and i'm sorry if this sounds mean, but that just sounds lazy.
Reinventing the wheel is stupid. Is it lazy to look up that gravitational acceleration on Earth is 9.8m/s squared, or should I start dropping rocks off a high building to figure it out myself? It is lazy to look up Amazon reviews on a product, or should I order each and every one myself and then decide the merits independently?

There are like 20 damn ICS ROMs for the P999, all of which are probably 95% the same except for stupid stuff like theme/colors. It's confusing as hell.

Which ones are good? Which ones are lame? In what way? I want to know as well.

Reactions: rrroach

Mr. Apocalypse

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 22, 2009
Houston, Tx
Reinventing the wheel is stupid. Is it lazy to look up that gravitational acceleration on Earth is 9.8m/s squared, or should I start dropping rocks off a high building to figure it out myself? It is lazy to look up Amazon reviews on a product, or should I order each and every one myself and then decide the merits independently?

There are like 20 damn ICS ROMs for the P999, all of which are probably 95% the same except for stupid stuff like theme/colors. It's confusing as hell.

Each phone is unique, like people. Same parts, different ways of working, different ways of responding to different mods. What's lame to one person may not be lame to the next guy. What runs well for you may not run well for him. The ONLY way to find out what works best for you and your phone is to experiment with all of them, try them out for about a week each and stay on whatever you like best. That is what we all do. There was no magic guru or button that told us what was best. I've seen hundreds of these kinds of posts, and it asks the same question and gets the same replies. And last I looked, there wasn't 20 ICS roms in the p999 section, GB maybe but not ICS. There are about 7, Owain's, HFS, 2 Eaglesbloods, AOKP, Arcee's SelfKang and Genesis. Try them all, rate them and you decide for yourself what's best for you .

Sent from my G2X XDA app cuz I'm stalking your mom....

Klathmon

May 1, 2011

Lol your metaphor mages perfect sense, no need to re-invent the wheel. Try searching. Turns out, most of those threads do actually say what does and does not work in them. If you search the threads for the word "working" look at the last 10 posts to get a good idea.

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Lol your metaphor mages perfect sense, no need to re-invent the wheel. Try searching. Turns out, most of those threads do actually say what does and does not work in them. If you search the threads for the word "working" look at the last 10 posts to get a good idea.

Its basically high school or college all over again, you got the cheaters and lazies that just ask something simple and wait for the answer, instead of doing some research and learning things them selves... just like teachers used to do, they'd just ignore, or say figure it out on your own.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

partylikeaninjastar

Apr 13, 2012
SF Bay Area
So far I've tried HFS 1.4 and 1.6, EB, and I'm currently on AOKP build 32. I'm going to try Genesis this weekend when the next build is released. They all more or less run the same. EB is pretty bare with less options and it may just be my mind, but it feels like it runs the smoothest, but it's lacking some features that the other ROMs have that I wish it icluded. The difference between HFS and AOKP are mostly cosmetic and how you can customize them. It does seems like AOKP has more data connection dropping issues than both HFS and EB, though. I know it's a known problem with ICS ROMs, but I didn't really notice before when using either HFS or EB, but with AOKP I've noticed it frequently or maybe I've just been playing on my phone more.

If I had to choose? I honestly don't know. If it wasn't for the more apparent data drops, I'd probably just stay on AOKP. HFS added some cosmetic changes I really didn't like (the red star when answering calls), but I'm looking forward to the next build. If I wasn't hopping back and forth between different ROMs, though, I'd probably just stay on EB.

Reactions: lannister80

chris_sd

Oct 18, 2007
Thanks for the response. I am on EB AOSP right now and it works fairly well. The only feature i am really missing is the call mute, and of course HW Encoder/decoder which is missing from all ICS roms.

Chris

frekio

Apr 20, 2011
I definitely sympathize with the question even if I also agree that which rom is the best is very subjective. I started trying out all the ICS roms a few weeks ago and thought I'd have a clear favorite in the end but I was wrong.

Stability wise all the ICS roms are very similar. They all have an unfortunate issue of having trouble switching over to data from wifi, for which airplane toggle off and on usually fixes it for me - this sounds like a base ICS 4.0.4 issue. For me they also periodically slow down and even crash and the overall performance is quite a bit worse than GB, but the features make it so that I can't go back to GB and it is stable and fast enough. I also noticed some random incompatibilities with apps, like I can't press the install button in the Amazon App Store (anyone know if there is a fix for that?)

Like the above commenter, Eaglesblood AOSP seemed the most stable to me and I will be checking it out again when they have a new release. That said I am currently using Genesis (+ Harsh Kernel), which is based on AOKP, and it is very nice. For me, personally, right now, it's between Eaglesblood AOSP (when the new ver hits) and Genesis though all of the roms have their bonuses and I change my mind pretty often. HFS has great visual flair and was pretty stable for me, owain does a bunch of tweaks / fixes to the base CM9, AOKP has a ton of configuration settings.

TL;DR: ICS is definitely still beta but you can't go wrong with any of the ICS roms.

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek

There are 5 ICS ROMs. If you can't take the time to try out 5 ROMs, but expect other people to do it for you, you should just stick with the ****ty stock firmware.

Sent from Narnia

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
Each phone is unique, like people. Same parts, different ways of working, different ways of responding to different mods. What's lame to one person may not be lame to the next guy. What runs well for you may not run well for him. The ONLY way to find out what works best for you and your phone is to experiment with all of them, try them out for about a week each and stay on whatever you like best. That is what we all do. There was no magic guru or button that told us what was best. I've seen hundreds of these kinds of posts, and it asks the same question and gets the same replies. And last I looked, there wasn't 20 ICS roms in the p999 section, GB maybe but not ICS. There are about 7, Owain's, HFS, 2 Eaglesbloods, AOKP, Arcee's SelfKang and Genesis. Try them all, rate them and you decide for yourself what's best for you .

Sent from my G2X XDA app cuz I'm stalking your mom....

EB CM9 is not relevant anymore ans neither are the selfkangs, so 5.

Sent from Narnia

MS Gray Man

Dec 8, 2011
Seattle

Ironically you proved his point. You just advocated doing some research to find the answer where it is already documented. (You said look it up.. not post a question and hope someone tells you.) :D

But to answer your question none of the G2x ICS ROMs are all there at this point. You will likely find something you don't like or doesn't work as well as it should with all of them. It's just where we are in the cycle and there are no stock ROMs to work with to solve some of the things like hardware acceleration.

NekoNyapii

Jan 5, 2012
Mesa

Flashing roms and experimenting with each one is suppose to be FUN! I always enjoy flashing different roms and trying them out.

The devs provide these roms free of charge and now you're too lazy to even use them to your advantage? Wow.

And I can understand if you're looking for reviews while you are buying something, but this is free. And plus when people post their favorite roms, its kind of an insult to the other devs because roms shouldn't even be compared and I doubt the devs want their roms to be compared.

Just try them all and judge for yourself which one is right for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwes1020 and C0dy

partylikeaninjastar

Apr 13, 2012
SF Bay Area
It doesn't hurt to give a small review of the rom, though, if someone just wants your opinion. Eventually, he'll probably get around to trying them , but maybe he just wants a place to start for now. At the very least, be a bit less eilitist when you're saying for him to try the roms for himself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Owain+Harsh kernel because I like USB Mass Storage. lol

Flashing roms and experimenting with each one is suppose to be FUN! I always enjoy flashing different roms and trying them out.

The devs provide these roms free of charge and now you're too lazy to even use them to your advantage? Wow.

And I can understand if you're looking for reviews while you are buying something, but this is free. And plus when people post their favorite roms, its kind of an insult to the other devs because roms shouldn't even be compared and I doubt the devs want their roms to be compared.

Just try them all and judge for yourself which one is right for you.

I usually don't respond to topics like this, and i'm sorry if this sounds mean, but that just sounds lazy.

So far I've tried HFS 1.4 and 1.6, EB, and I'm currently on AOKP build 32. I'm going to try Genesis this weekend when the next build is released. They all more or less run the same. EB is pretty bare with less options and it may just be my mind, but it feels like it runs the smoothest, but it's lacking some features that the other ROMs have that I wish it icluded. The difference between HFS and AOKP are mostly cosmetic and how you can customize them. It does seems like AOKP has more data connection dropping issues than both HFS and EB, though. I know it's a known problem with ICS ROMs, but I didn't really notice before when using either HFS or EB, but with AOKP I've noticed it frequently or maybe I've just been playing on my phone more.

If I had to choose? I honestly don't know. If it wasn't for the more apparent data drops, I'd probably just stay on AOKP. HFS added some cosmetic changes I really didn't like (the red star when answering calls), but I'm looking forward to the next build. If I wasn't hopping back and forth between different ROMs, though, I'd probably just stay on EB.
    Dude your an idiot,no asked you

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

Do you even know what supercharger actually does? Basically adjusts minfree and oom grouping/fragmentation.

Ics is perfectly fine on my vibrant and my g2x. Both are low ram devices. The Linux/android kernel takes care of your ram and is designed to run under a steady load. It will constantly free ram and allocate it when its needed. Even stock kernels do that.

On topic: "best" is all on user prefrence. I personally go with functionality and customization that I like and use. Quadrant scores don't mean jack. You can take any stock rom convert it to ext4 and boom quadrant scores. Hell I can out quadrant my nexus with my g2x all day, but does that make it "better"?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium