The Mini is dead, long live the Mini....

DEAD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11

Let's face it. The mini is dead in the water, literally months after launch, there is nothing happening. Full respect is due to the MagioRom team, and tr1gg3r84 in particular for all the great work producing a great rom. But without support from the HTCDEV (ha) team, no RUU, no updates for unlocked phones, no focus.
It really had the potential to be a great phone, but HTC sunk the ship before it sailed. 16GB (10 you can use) and 1GB RAM. I formatted it fully yesterday, 2 nandroid backups, 1 GB of music, 1.8 GB of video and Titanium Backups = 2GB free. Pathetic.

AND we won't be getting anything other than the launch JB 4.2.2 build 1.22 on an unlocked phone, as formally stated by HTC. Yes, we will help you unlock, but then you're f#@ked. Just buy a ONE.

Not only have HTC ignored and abandoned the mini, so have the dev community on xda (we had some promising interest at first by some good senior devs, but interest has been lost) and cm - I've stayed tuned as asked to do so by Cyanogen:

September 06, 2013
HTC One Mini

Adding to our ever growing device list, Negri Electronics stepped up to help out yet again, this time sending us the One Mini. Stay tuned for ‘codename: m4′ builds to be released. The Negri team has been great to work with and we appreciate their support of CM and the community.

Errrrrr......hellooooooo? Am i tuned to the wrong station?

I don't want a sense/bloated rom. I mean, come on, 1GB zips? I don't have room on my bloody phone to hold the zip AND a backup prior to flashing.

I'm going back to Samsung - s#it build quality, but at least you can mod the thing.

It breaks my heart, but I've had enough of getting excited when I get a xda notification on a dev thread thinking it might, just might, be something new. But, just like Santa, you learn that he's not coming.

Believe me, this IS NOT a rant directed at xda, the devs, and the fantastic work they do, I'm ranting out of frustration - HTC, you nearly had a convert.
See ya.
N.

leungalv

Sep 9, 2010
I kind of agree with this ... this phone does have potential, but with no community to back it up it just kind of flops. I got mine yesterday and I can't even root it for god sakes.

I might use it for a bit till the Sony Xperia Z1f comes out ... HTC really dropped the ball on this one ...

Reactions: Shirshasana

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
I say give it time. Good things come to those that wait. I just got my HTC One Mini yesterday and out the box it's a really great phone, but yeah I'm a flash-a-holic and coming from the Galaxy S1 with its HUGE dev section here on XDA, it makes me long for something to flash to my new phone..

Least we still have root available to us. And for me storage isn't a big problem with having an unlimited internet contract, cloud storage, and USB OTG which can be used to backup your nandroids or anything else apart from apps. This is still a new phone and I'd like to think its still to early to call it, maybe I'm wrong, I hope not..

I find most development leans towards flag ship models as more people have them, but I dislike these giants, so do others, and others may soon join the mini following giving a bigger fan base for developers to take notice of..

Last edited:

leungalv

Sep 9, 2010
I say give it time. Good things come to those that wait. I just got my HTC One Mini yesterday and out the box it's a really great phone, but yeah I'm a flash-a-holic and coming from the Galaxy S1 with its HUGE dev section here on XDA, it makes me long for something to flash to my new phone..

Least we still have root available to us. And for me storage isn't a big problem with having an unlimited internet contract, cloud storage, and USB OTG which can be used to backup your nandroids or anything else apart from apps. This is still a new phone and I'd like to think its still to early to call it, maybe I'm wrong, I hope not..

I find most development leans towards flag ship models as more people have them, but I dislike these giants, so do others, and others may soon join the mini following giving a bigger fan base for developers to take notice of..

No ... I can't root my HTC One Mini 601s version

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
No ... I can't root my HTC One Mini 601s version

Hmmm I have noticed some people having problems here. Were you able to unlock bootloader? And what methods did you try? I have the 601n version with latest UK ota update, I haven't tried yet as I'm still burning my phone in. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my HTC One mini using xda premium

leungalv

Sep 9, 2010
Hmmm I have noticed some people having problems here. Were you able to unlock bootloader? And what methods did you try? I have the 601n version with latest UK ota update, I haven't tried yet as I'm still burning my phone in. Fingers crossed.

No I haven't tried unlocking bootloader ... I tried installing TWRP Recovery to no avail. I tried using OneClickRoot for the rooting. What should I use to unlock the bootloader? Thanks.

ghtop

Oct 25, 2013
AND we won't be getting anything other than the launch JB 4.2.2 build 1.22 on an unlocked phone, as formally stated by HTC.

Why do you say that? We've already had an OTA update since launch (on 1.32.401.2 with UK unlocked here) and all the announcements so far have indicated that 4.3 is coming for the mini after the One. Did I miss another fornal announcement to the contrary?

Edit: sorry, I misundertood you, I guess you're referring to unlocked bootloader.

Last edited:

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
No I haven't tried unlocking bootloader ... I tried installing TWRP Recovery to no avail. I tried using OneClickRoot for the rooting. What should I use to unlock the bootloader? Thanks.

You do it at htcdev.com and select other in handset, but I haven't tried out yet..

Pretty sure you need this for TWRP recovery.

leungalv

Sep 9, 2010
You do it at htcdev.com and select other in handset, but I haven't tried out yet..

Pretty sure you need this for TWRP recovery.

Awesome ... that worked :) after unlocking the bootloader, I installed TWRP Recovery successfully. Thanks!

EDIT: rooted the phone through TWRP recovery.

So I had to do this: unlock bootloader via HTCDev as you advised -> install TWRP via fastboot -> root via TWRP yay

Last edited:

jenkins-84

Aug 27, 2012
Lancashire
Yeah I do agree with the lack if updates/ruu that are available for people. But I have a update coming for 4.2.2 and it's pretty smooth fast and great battery life. Plus alot of features. Also I'm working with a kernel dev who might be able to help me bring a 4.3 sense 5.5 to mini ported from the M7. Maybe in time Cm roms but that's till a source is available. But for now gotta make do with what's available if not try and make something.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

D

dhf9*&Dh884jdk

Pretty much. It's a great phone, but unfortunately HTC cut too much out and the development for it is almost dead. I kind of wish I waited to upgrade my phone because now I can get a Moto X or a HTC One for $100 which is the same price I paid for the One Mini.

I'm hoping h8drift gets Cm 10.2 working and stable on the Mini, but he hasn't posted anything in almost a month.

Apparently the Mini is supposed to get the 4.3 update with Sense 5.5 so at least that's something. :D

jenkins-84

Aug 27, 2012
Lancashire
Pretty much. It's a great phone, but unfortunately HTC cut too much out and the development for it is almost dead. I kind of wish I waited to upgrade my phone because now I can get a Moto X or a HTC One for $100 which is the same price I paid for the One Mini.

I'm hoping h8drift gets Cm 10.2 working and stable on the Mini, but he hasn't posted anything in almost a month.

Apparently the Mini is supposed to get the 4.3 update with Sense 5.5 so at least that's something. :D

Yeah but HTC say a lot but don't do so wait and see. How long it takes them ha :sly:

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
The sales about Mini is very very small and yes, this phone is pretty dead already because the majority of target customers are One S and they decided to stay with One S for one more year and wait for another 4.3" from HTC in 2014.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1531
You see our One S board is still quite active......

Speaking for the One S. One Mini was supposed to replace One S but ended up it can't. One S has even more advantages over One Mini.

1. One S got an even more slim, light weight and cool design over One Mini
2. One S is more harder and more protection without using case
3. One S(S4) the cpu/gpu/bus-bandwidth is more faster
4. One Mini got UltraPixel and good at low light but outdoor photo is outperformed by One S 's 8M sensor.

Personally, I'm an One S user and thinking to upgrade to One or One Mini because I love the idea of Zoe. I must admit that originally I prefer to get HTC One but there are just too many dead UltraPixel on HTC One while One Mini used more mature manufactured UltraPixel stocks and hardly hear about purple tint issue, this made me switch to notice One Mini.

leungalv

Sep 9, 2010
The sales about Mini is very very small and yes, this phone is pretty dead already because the majority of target customers are One S and they decided to stay with One S for one more year and wait for another 4.3" from HTC in 2014.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1531
You see our One S board is still quite active......

Speaking for the One S. One Mini was supposed to replace One S but ended up it can't. One S has even more advantages over One Mini.

1. One S got an even more slim, light weight and cool design over One Mini
2. One S is more harder and more protection without using case
3. One S(S4) the cpu/gpu/bus-bandwidth is more faster
4. One Mini got UltraPixel and good at low light but outdoor photo is outperformed by One S 's 8M sensor.

Personally, I'm an One S user and thinking to upgrade to One or One Mini because I love the idea of Zoe. I must admit that originally I prefer to get HTC One but there are just too many dead UltraPixel on HTC One while One Mini used more mature manufactured UltraPixel stocks and hardly hear about purple tint issue, this made me switch to notice One Mini.

Very true ... I actually prefer the One S over the One Mini ... too bad I just gave the One S to my mom :(

milchmaennchen

May 7, 2012
Berlin
Damn.... I have to replace my HTC Pyramid (still active developement) rather soon so I was looking for a new phone. Fell in love with the design of HTC's One Mini. However after now reading this thread I will prob. not update to the Mini.

Thank you :crying:... and I guess thank you :)

Internetwork

Feb 5, 2015
Despite all these drawbacks, the phone on its stock is still great. Also it doesnt cost much for a premium design ;)

Reactions: Lee74

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Let's face it. The mini is dead in the water, literally months after launch, there is nothing happening. Full respect is due to the MagioRom team, and tr1gg3r84 in particular for all the great work producing a great rom. But without support from the HTCDEV (ha) team, no RUU, no updates for unlocked phones, no focus.
    It really had the potential to be a great phone, but HTC sunk the ship before it sailed. 16GB (10 you can use) and 1GB RAM. I formatted it fully yesterday, 2 nandroid backups, 1 GB of music, 1.8 GB of video and Titanium Backups = 2GB free. Pathetic.

AND we won't be getting anything other than the launch JB 4.2.2 build 1.22 on an unlocked phone, as formally stated by HTC. Yes, we will help you unlock, but then you're f#@ked. Just buy a ONE.

Not only have HTC ignored and abandoned the mini, so have the dev community on xda (we had some promising interest at first by some good senior devs, but interest has been lost) and cm - I've stayed tuned as asked to do so by Cyanogen:

September 06, 2013
    HTC One Mini

Adding to our ever growing device list, Negri Electronics stepped up to help out yet again, this time sending us the One Mini. Stay tuned for ‘codename: m4′ builds to be released. The Negri team has been great to work with and we appreciate their support of CM and the community.

Errrrrr......hellooooooo? Am i tuned to the wrong station?

I don't want a sense/bloated rom. I mean, come on, 1GB zips? I don't have room on my bloody phone to hold the zip AND a backup prior to flashing.

I'm going back to Samsung - s#it build quality, but at least you can mod the thing.

It breaks my heart, but I've had enough of getting excited when I get a xda notification on a dev thread thinking it might, just might, be something new. But, just like Santa, you learn that he's not coming.

Believe me, this IS NOT a rant directed at xda, the devs, and the fantastic work they do, I'm ranting out of frustration - HTC, you nearly had a convert.
    See ya.
    N.
    Yeah I do agree with the lack if updates/ruu that are available for people. But I have a update coming for 4.2.2 and it's pretty smooth fast and great battery life. Plus alot of features. Also I'm working with a kernel dev who might be able to help me bring a 4.3 sense 5.5 to mini ported from the M7. Maybe in time Cm roms but that's till a source is available. But for now gotta make do with what's available if not try and make something.

I kind of agree with this ... this phone does have potential, but with no community to back it up it just kind of flops. I got mine yesterday and I can't even root it for god sakes.

I might use it for a bit till the Sony Xperia Z1f comes out ... HTC really dropped the ball on this one ...
    Have a little patience...

Despite all these drawbacks, the phone on its stock is still great. Also it doesnt cost much for a premium design ;)