[BUG] Compass not aligning properly [VIDEO ADDED]

Search This thread

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Anyone else who has an N900W8 have weird compass issues? It sometimes doesn't rotate or does not align properly.

Strange issue on my Note 2's compass too, sometimes does not calibrate properly, AND is running 4.3 but on AOSP. Is there a build problem/Samsung problem? Or is it hardware and I have to get it changed?

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/T1U5qlPABRo

Last edited:
Reactions: Vren D

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Nope, after a day of usage, it just locks into a position when I rotate my phone on a horizontal plane. If i tilt my phone left right forward and backwards the compass moves.

To calibrate it, I have to shake my device hard and spin it like I am opening a door knob many times. Then the compass will work perfectly.

Anyone have this issue? N900W8. Is this normal to calibrate a device? Is this a recurrent issue amongst users?

Last edited:

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
No one has this problem? Will I have to take it back for a replacement? It still works, after a rigorous shake, but is this calibration abnormal or not? Will there be a possibility that a software update could fix this?

Last edited:

*GalaxyDev*

Jan 24, 2012
San Miguel de Allende
I have kinda a similar problem, in maps if I'm using navigation the arrow doesn't align correctly to the direction I'm going, not much of a problem.don't know if it's related to the GPS or the compass in my case

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda app-developers app

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
I have kinda a similar problem, in maps if I'm using navigation the arrow doesn't align correctly to the direction I'm going, not much of a problem.don't know if it's related to the GPS or the compass in my case

Can I safe to say that there is an existing Compass Bug in the software and not have to replace it? I will be uploading a video soon.

Kaderoid

Jan 14, 2013
Hello,
I have had the same problem. The solution is so simple:
1- dial *#0*#
2- choose sensor
3- here you will find that the status of your magnetic sensor is: "need to calibrate". So you wave your note 3 in 8 patterns for one or two times
4- and here we go, the sensor status now is calibrated and your problem is solved

P.S.: if you have a problem with *#0*# you can use any compass application or google maps, and then you continue with 3 and 4.

Hope that it helps you

Last edited:

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Hi Kaderoid,

That's not really a calibration method, but thanks for your help. My device just spins and spins and spins no matter how I much I try to calibrate it. The only way I can fix it is by rebooting.

That's the difference, and plus magnetic interference happens too often it seems like it's a hardware issue.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

MsSamsung

Nov 14, 2013
I had the same problems, display didn't rotate, after a couple of days it seems fixed, but now doesn't rotate again.
I'm Italian, I'm hope that the English is enough good :eek:

masham

Jul 26, 2011
Espoo
Hello,
I had some issues with my Compass. When using GMaps it was not pointing in the right direction. I changed my device and the new device has the same issue unless I calibrate it. Once calibrated it works perfectly. I guess your device is having a hardware issue. Get a replacement.

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
I have the same issue on 2 Notes 3. I also had it on 2 of my previous HTCs. I think it happened after GMap update a few months back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

bizum1

Mar 18, 2009
Warsaw
when you enter *#0*# and compass arrow is red just do some spins with phone. It turns green and compass works proper :)
This is calibration method

ponts

Dec 3, 2010
I have a similar issue. If I restart my phone I have to recalibrate the compass. Once calibrated it works fine though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Conundrum68

Sep 5, 2009
I have the exact same issue. Sometimes I will calibrate it and it will fix it. If the phone has to reboot it will not work again.
Using GPS Status & Toolbox, the compass was "locked" in the wrong direction.
So I rotated around and as soon as North indicator was actually pointing North, it seemed to lock-on and was working fine (without performing a calibration).
Weird and I hope it gets fixed in the next update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else who has an N900W8 have weird compass issues? It sometimes doesn't rotate or does not align properly.

Strange issue on my Note 2's compass too, sometimes does not calibrate properly, AND is running 4.3 but on AOSP. Is there a build problem/Samsung problem? Or is it hardware and I have to get it changed?

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/T1U5qlPABRo
    Nope, after a day of usage, it just locks into a position when I rotate my phone on a horizontal plane. If i tilt my phone left right forward and backwards the compass moves.

To calibrate it, I have to shake my device hard and spin it like I am opening a door knob many times. Then the compass will work perfectly.

Anyone have this issue? N900W8. Is this normal to calibrate a device? Is this a recurrent issue amongst users?
    No one has this problem? Will I have to take it back for a replacement? It still works, after a rigorous shake, but is this calibration abnormal or not? Will there be a possibility that a software update could fix this?

Can I safe to say that there is an existing Compass Bug in the software and not have to replace it? I will be uploading a video soon.