Kindle Fire doesn't show up on ADB or device manager

Search This thread

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
I'm trying to put Cyanogenmod on my Kindle Fire, but haven't gotten anywhere with it, due to my computer not being able to recognize it. I have ADB installed (have used it with at least 4 other devices).

The issue is that when I connect the tablet to my computer (Windows 7, 64-bit), "adb devices" turns up with nothing. I've read that you have to uninstall the Windows installed Kindle drivers through the Device Manager (even with hidden devices shown). However, my issue is that I can't see the Kindle on the Device Manager. Also, the tablet shows up under "Devices and Printers", so it's not completely unrecognized.

I've also tried installing Kush's ADB drivers, because I thought that would work, but it didn't.

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN

Attachments

• DM.jpg
    DM.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 317

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
Well, then help me find it in device manager (pictures attached).

So I thought it was showing me hidden devices, but it wasn't. When I view hidden devices, it was listed under Portable Devices. I then right-clicked and then uninstalled the driver to try and install the ADB drivers for the Kindle (ADB setup). When I plug it back into the computer, then it really doesn't show up on Device Manager (but again still on Devices and Printers)

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
So I thought it was showing me hidden devices, but it wasn't. When I view hidden devices, it was listed under Portable Devices. I then right-clicked and then uninstalled the driver to try and install the ADB drivers for the Kindle (ADB setup). When I plug it back into the computer, then it really doesn't show up on Device Manager (but again still on Devices and Printers)
Mine show as an android phone.
kindle_zpse8603a96.png

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
I have unzipped it, and am running it from the unzipped location.

I was able to get the ADB working on a Windows 8 computer, but then when KFU tried to reboot into fastboot mode, it said "waiting for device" for a long time. I think it has frozen. I've tried resetting it by holding the power button for 20 seconds, but I haven't been able to get past the splash screen.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I was able to get the ADB working on a Windows 8 computer, but then when KFU tried to reboot into fastboot mode, it said "waiting for device" for a long time. I think it has frozen. I've tried resetting it by holding the power button for 20 seconds, but I haven't been able to get past the splash screen.
it maybe in fastboot mode, try restarting KFU a few times, or try command prompt
fastboot reboot-bootloader
if fastboot commands work you can flash Twrp manually

Reactions: Quevvy

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
it maybe in fastboot mode, try restarting KFU a few times, or try command prompt

I tried fastboot, to no avail. Then I ran KFU and during it, Windows said that the ADB device had been recognized, and then the installation of TWRP supposedly went through (have not been able to check it). Then I tried installing FFF, but got the < waiting for device > that was the original problem. This was back on the original computer (Windows 7), but will try on the Windows 8 computer now that the Kindle is back on.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
FFF installs with Twrp now

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

if twrp installed boot logo should have changed
do you see a press power for boot options?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Kindle-Fire-Bootloader-FireFireFire.jpg

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
FFF installs with Twrp now

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

if twrp installed boot logo should have changed
do you see a press power for boot options?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Kindle-Fire-Bootloader-FireFireFire.jpg

Hmm, the boot logo is still the same. I'm going to try and install TWRP again.

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
Hmm, the boot logo is still the same. I'm going to try and install TWRP again.

So this is what seems to work the best for me (even though it doesn't work). With the Windows 8 computer, the Kindle is recognized in the ADB devices. I can run KFU and it actually is able to communicate with the device, but then the Kindle stalls when trying to reboot in fastboot mode. I cannot do anything with it in Windows 8. So I connect it to the Windows 7 machine, where I cannot install TWRP, but I can reboot it into normal mode, so it is not bricked, and it is still usable.

As far as I can tell, it never even got to the point where it would have started installing TWRP.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
So this is what seems to work the best for me (even though it doesn't work). With the Windows 8 computer, the Kindle is recognized in the ADB devices. I can run KFU and it actually is able to communicate with the device, but then the Kindle stalls when trying to reboot in fastboot mode. I cannot do anything with it in Windows 8. So I connect it to the Windows 7 machine, where I cannot install TWRP, but I can reboot it into normal mode, so it is not bricked, and it is still usable.

As far as I can tell, it never even got to the point where it would have started installing TWRP.
try manually reboot to bootloader with
[fastboot] stock 6.2.1 fastboot mode without rooting or cables
if that works manually flash TWRP with Fastboot.exe

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
try manually reboot to bootloader with
[fastboot] stock 6.2.1 fastboot mode without rooting or cables
if that works manually flash TWRP with Fastboot.exe

I think my issue was the computer not recognizing the device once it was in fastboot mode. I reinstalled the drivers (which I had done before), but this time they worked on the Windows 8 computer, so I was able to get TWRP and FFF on the device. I am working on getting CM11 on it currently. Thanks for all the help so far!

Quevvy

Dec 18, 2013
South Bend, IN
Done!

I think my issue was the computer not recognizing the device once it was in fastboot mode. I reinstalled the drivers (which I had done before), but this time they worked on the Windows 8 computer, so I was able to get TWRP and FFF on the device. I am working on getting CM11 on it currently. Thanks for all the help so far!

I got it all working: TWRP, FFF, and CM11. As far as I can tell, there are no issues any more. I haven't tried ADB after putting CM11 on it, but I'm not going to worry about that since I already have the recovery and bootloader installed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.