[Q] Display doesn't turn on during / after a phone call

Search This thread

troedi

May 10, 2010
Hi!

Because I didn't get any answer in the help-thread I try it this way.

When you receive a phone call on your XZ, does the screen turn on again when you move the phone away from your ear?
This problem drives me crazy! Every phone call (active and passive...) the display of my phone turns off (as it should) when I put the phone to my ear. When I put the phone away from my head, the screen doesn't turn on again. I always have to press the power button to enable the display again. In rare cases, the display turns on as it should. But when a phone call is longer than a few seconds, the display won't turn on again.
The only reason for this problem I've found on the internet is the usage of a screen-protector. Actually I have a screen protector installed, but is has a cutout around the proximity sensor. I've also tested the proximity sensor with an app - it turns on/off correctly when I move my hand in front of the phone...

Does anybody of you experience this issue? I've tried a lot of firmware versions, but it's everytime the same... No matter if I use CM10.2 or different stock roms...

I hate it so much - not being able to stop a call before being redirected to an answering machine only because this piece of shi*** refuses to turn on the display during a call.

I'm looking forward to your answers - I can't imagine that my XZ is the only one that shows this behaviour.

Regards

Last edited:

troedi

May 10, 2010
is there really nobody with any screen on/off during call problems? can't imagine that my XZ is the only one... or is there an android-"feature" I donn't know? ;)
I've already removed my screen protector... but nothing has changed...

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
I also have this problem frequently, i enabled power button to end calls under accessibility setting so if i press it, it ends the call, so could be partial solution to allow you to end calls, but not a real solution at all if you want an option not to end the call but to have the screen turn on only. Let me know if you find any other solutions

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

troedi

May 10, 2010
Actually stopping phone calls isn't my main problem. But it annoys me that I can't check the current time by removing the phone from my head for a second. Also when I have to interact with an answering machine (windows activation hotline for example^^) - everytime I have to input a number during a call this f*cking screen is off and I have to press the power button.
Don't people use their XZ for making telephone calls? Am I the only person on earth who uses the phone for other things than watching movies and surfing the net?

I also want to know if this is a general Jelly-Bean problem... If so, replacing my phone with another one would be meaningless.

wmiswm

Aug 21, 2013
Press the power button twice to activate the screen during call.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

troedi

May 10, 2010
Pressing the power button ONCE also works to turn on the screen during a call. But that's the point. I do not want to press this damn power button. What does the phone has a proximity sensor for??? When I start a call and remove the phone from my head after a few seconds, the screen will mostly turn on itself. But after a while (a minute or longer) moving the phone away from the head will not turn on screen anymore...
Is it too hard for phone manufacturers to build a phone that can be used as a phone? If I wanted to have a tablet I would have bought one...

Last edited:

troedi

May 10, 2010
Problem solved. I have a Nexus5 now and it is just awesome. May the new owner get angry with this piece of sony sh*t.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

kristophers

Jan 16, 2014
Sofia
Turn off phone

Press firmly on proximity sensor

Turn on phone

Once on main screen

Press firmly on proximity sensor

Try to make a call

I hope it works for you