Another dead s3 mini

Search This thread

DomagojR

Apr 23, 2010
I hard bricked mine s3 mini (yes, yes, i know...) and it won't boot at all. I've bought usb jig, but didn't help to boot in download mode. What now? [emoji20]

E

Exothermic

I hard bricked mine s3 mini (yes, yes, i know...) and it won't boot at all. I've bought usb jig, but didn't help to boot in download mode. What now? [emoji20]

There's nothing else you could do - unless you have the equipment in order to JTAG it. Either claim warranty on it or search for repair stores nearby.

DomagojR

Apr 23, 2010
You think so? When I connect it to the pc, it keeps connecting and disconnecting, if that helps... There's nothing more to try?

KoolKid98189

Aug 6, 2013

Give it back to your seller, they won't know that it's rooted and they would probably replace it. Don't bother trying to get it out of hard brick.

Give it back to your seller, they won't know that it's rooted and they would probably replace it. Don't bother trying to get it out of hard brick.

Yeah, softbrick is easy to fix, but hardbrick means you've got a hard brick instead of a phone now xD Do what he said ^ and don't admit nothing, just say that suddenly it broke down :p

DomagojR

Apr 23, 2010
Haha and you both think that there is no chance that they will somehow see that custom binary and other things that avoid warranty?

KoolKid98189

Aug 6, 2013
Haha and you both think that there is no chance that they will somehow see that custom binary and other things that avoid warranty?

Well if they can't switch it on then they can't see the custom binary...?

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Yeah, softbrick is easy to fix, but hardbrick means you've got a hard brick instead of a phone now xD Do what he said ^ and don't admit nothing, just say that suddenly it broke down :p

Yeah, that happened with my S3 mini, it had semi hard brick... Well it could go into download mode and I flashed all kinds of stock ROMs, recoveries and params and it made no change whatsoever! How did I know this? I tried flashing stock recovery and when I booted into recovery, it just showed TeamWin splash screen for 1 second and shut off. So I determined that the eMMC chip is screwed up! I tried a repair shop but they gave up so I spoke to Amazon customer service saying that my phone just won't turn on so they gave me a free replacement (no quibbles) with a free complementary upgrade to first class. I just drained the battery by leaving it on download mode so they wouldn't easily found out! The contract of sales lies with the seller, not for you to wait a month for the manufacturer to fix it. Since then I haven't rooted it as I'm scared that it could brick again. That's why I wanted an official KitKat upgrade which Samsung don't give for bs reasons!

Last edited:
Well if they can't switch it on then they can't see the custom binary...?

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Since then I haven't rooted it as I'm scared that it could brick again. That's why I wanted an official KitKat upgrade which Samsung don't give for bs reasons!

You can just use VRoot. It's easy to achieve root with it :) After rooting and installing a custom recovery ALWAYS do a nandroid backup before trying to flash or modify ANYTHING! That's what I do and never spend more than 10 mins (the time required to restore my nandroid) with a bricked phone :p

KoolKid98189

Aug 6, 2013
You can just use VRoot. It's easy to achieve root with it :) After rooting and installing a custom recovery ALWAYS do a nandroid backup before trying to flash or modify ANYTHING! That's what I do and never spend more than 10 mins (the time required to restore my nandroid) with a bricked phone :p

But the thing is that I had KitKat by Maclaw for a while. Then one evening it was charging and it just died without warning. It was dead for one day and then it switched on but it just showed bootlogo and switched off. That's when I realised it was semi hard bricked.

Last edited:
But the thing is that I had KitKat by Maclaw for a while. Then one evening it was charging and it just died without warning. It was dead for one day and then it switched on but it just showed bootlogo and switched off. Then when I realised it was semi hard bricked.

That's why I stick with stock-based custom ROMs, zero or very little or minor bugs. No problems with me so far :)

hleotangco

Jul 5, 2012
This also happened to me. Without warning. I have the same experience as the OP. I keep hearing the connecting/disconnecting sound on my laptop when I connect it to my laptop.

KoolKid98189

Aug 6, 2013
That's why I stick with stock-based custom ROMs, zero or very little or minor bugs. No problems with me so far :)

But then wouldn't I lose the warranty? And Maclaw's CM11 ROM was the best, I miss out on so many good features on stock and it's so much slower than CM11. I just don't want to end up having another bricked S3 mini though.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

This also happened to me. Without warning. I have the same experience as the OP. I keep hearing the connecting/disconnecting sound on my laptop when I connect it to my laptop.

Don't bother trying to revive it if it's hard bricked. Because they won't find out about the root if they can't turn it on.

hleotangco

Jul 5, 2012
But then wouldn't I lose the warranty? And Maclaw's CM11 ROM was the best, I miss out on so many good features on stock and it's so much slower than CM11. I just don't want to end up having another bricked S3 mini though.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Don't bother trying to revive it if it's hard bricked. Because they won't find out about the root if they can't turn it on.

thats the thing tho. my warranty just expired last month. now im thinking if i should buy a moto g. i just have to live without the sd card...