Root and Dual Recovery for Locked Bootloader

Search This thread

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
Firstly a massive thanks to RyokoN and [NUT] - much more of this is their work than mine.

The end result is unbranded UK firmware (no docomo/jp apps etc.) 14.2.A.1.114 with SuperSU and NUT's Dual Recovery. The bootloader of course remains locked.

Downloads:

http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf
http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf
http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf
http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip
SuperSU flashable zip from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
LATEST Z1C-lockeddualrecovery flashable and installer .zip from http://nut.xperia-files.com/ (thanks to [NUT])
FlashTool: http://www.flashtool.net/index.php

Process:

1. Copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip, z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip and Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip to your external SD card.
  2. Take a full backup, as all phone memory INCLUDING INTERNAL SD will be wiped.
  3. Flash SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf (WIPE: select all, EXCLUDE: select none)
  4. Boot and enable USB debugging and installation of apps from unknown sources
  5. Flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select all except system and kernel)
  6. Turn phone on (display will be blank)
  7. Run Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip's install.bat, selecting option 3 (Installation on unrooted ROM).
  8. Turn phone off using the power + vol up combination.
  9. Flash D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select system only)
  10. Boot to philz recovery by turning phone on normally then pressing vol up after the vibrate + green LED
  11. Factory reset and clear for rom installation
  12. Flash in this order without rebooting between each:
    1. z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip
    2. Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip
    3. UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip.
  13. You're done :)

Last edited:

labbe-

Jun 4, 2012
Turku
sweet! gonna try this in a couple of days when i get a microsd card..

just to be safe though, because this is my first sony: ftf files are flashed with emma, right?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
Hi! Great work.... haven't tried this yet, my first Sony, so a little outside my comfort zone.....
Have you tried backing up the TA partition? Thanks

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
Hi! Great work.... haven't tried this yet, my first Sony, so a little outside my comfort zone.....
Have you tried backing up the TA partition? Thanks

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Haven't tried that yet as I don't plan on touching the bootloader (sony stock roms are excellent imo)

No reason why it wouldn't work, unless sony has added some sort of extra protection (unlikely).

Last edited:
i´ve problem with ddms, as log i can see i´ve installed needed parts, got those error messages:
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get view server version from device CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get view server protocol version from device CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - ViewServerDevice]Unable to debug device: sony-c6903-CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Missing forwarded port for CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get the focused window from device CB5A1XBJ56

do you know what to do about it?

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
i´ve problem with ddms, as log i can see i´ve installed needed parts, got those error messages:
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get view server version from device CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get view server protocol version from device CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - ViewServerDevice]Unable to debug device: sony-c6903-CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Missing forwarded port for CB5A1XBJ56
[2014-02-03 20:59:08 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get the focused window from device CB5A1XBJ56

do you know what to do about it?

Not really sure what could cause that, are you able to connect to e.g. adb shell ok?

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
Haven't tried that yet as I don't plan on touching the bootloader (sony stock roms are excellent imo)

No reason why it wouldn't work, unless sony has added some sort of extra protection (unlikely).

Thanks for that - I'll give your walkthrough a go tonight when I get home.... I'll report back on the results of attempting a TA partition backup....

Fyi, you note that the only thing "lacking" is a writeable /system - should anyone require to mount as rw, try this:
Install Android Terminal Emulator from the store, start it and do this:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /system

Done!

Reactions: Didgesteve

jenkins-84

Aug 27, 2012
Lancashire
Thanks for that - I'll give your walkthrough a go tonight when I get home.... I'll report back on the results of attempting a TA partition backup....

Fyi, you note that the only thing "lacking" is a writeable /system - should anyone require to mount as rw, try this:
Install Android Terminal Emulator from the store, start it and do this:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /system

Done!

Oi get on hangouts u Iggy :p can't wait to get the Z1C and try this out

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Last edited:

[NUT]

@Darkimmortal

Please replace the links in the OP for the official development thread and download page: http://nut.xperia-files.com as 2.7.80 is already outdated (TWRP has the wrong alignment and has been replaced by 2 improved versions already). That and I kindly requested not to mirror any of my files...

It's not to give you a hard time, but this way your users can NEVER be sure the files are from me or slightly modified by you to do some bad juju... This is my way to grant users somewhat of a quality control. I hope you understand.

I'll be opening a Q&A thread here soon though, for the official device specific support.

torjohron

Jul 17, 2010
Problems

Hi

I'm getting problems on "14. Boot to philz recovery by turning phone on normally then continually pressing vol up after the single vibrate", the device only vibrates 2 times and the "sony" logo is on the screen but nothing happens.

Does anybody have a fix?

Reactions: Gustavoman

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
@Darkimmortal

Please replace the links in the OP for the official development thread and download page: http://nut.xperia-files.com as 2.7.80 is already outdated (TWRP has the wrong alignment and has been replaced by 2 improved versions already). That and I kindly requested not to mirror any of my files...

It's not to give you a hard time, but this way your users can NEVER be sure the files are from me or slightly modified by you to do some bad juju... This is my way to grant users somewhat of a quality control. I hope you understand.

I'll be opening a Q&A thread here soon though, for the official device specific support.

Certainly, I've updated that now

I only checked your download page for any no mirror warnings

Last edited:

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
Hi

I'm getting problems on "14. Boot to philz recovery by turning phone on normally then continually pressing vol up after the single vibrate", the device only vibrates 2 times and the "sony" logo is on the screen but nothing happens.

Does anybody have a fix?

It may boot loop in this way a couple of times - try turning it off again with the power+vol up 3 vibrate combo

If you still can't get it into recovery, start over and ensure the recovery installer.zip step is performed correctly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly a massive thanks to RyokoN and [NUT] - much more of this is their work than mine.

The end result is unbranded UK firmware (no docomo/jp apps etc.) 14.2.A.1.114 with SuperSU and NUT's Dual Recovery. The bootloader of course remains locked.

Downloads:

http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf
    http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf
    http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf
    http://dl.weeaboo.com/Z1Compact/z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip
    SuperSU flashable zip from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
    LATEST Z1C-lockeddualrecovery flashable and installer .zip from http://nut.xperia-files.com/ (thanks to [NUT])
    FlashTool: http://www.flashtool.net/index.php

Process:

1. Copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip, z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip and Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip to your external SD card.
    3. Flash SO-02F_14.1.H.1.281_docomo.ftf (WIPE: select all, EXCLUDE: select none)
    5. Flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select all except system and kernel)
    7. Run Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip's install.bat, selecting option 3 (Installation on unrooted ROM).
    9. Flash D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select system only)
    10. Boot to philz recovery by turning phone on normally then pressing vol up after the vibrate + green LED
    11. Factory reset and clear for rom installation
    12. Flash in this order without rebooting between each:
      3. UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip.
    13. You're done :)
    I'll try to release a version of the recovery installer soon including 2 rooting methods, it will cut down this guide considerably making the use of ddms irrelevant.

I'll update ya'all here as soon as I release it.
    [XZDualRecovery] 2.7.83 BETA released!

XZDualRecovery 2.7.83 Changelog :)

@Darkimmortal

Best is to stop promoting my SuperSU_fix.zip and start pushing the zip which really is needed: SuperSU by @Chainfire.

Your guide can now be simplified:

1. Copy cwm_prerooted_Z1.zip, UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip, z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip and Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip to your external SD card.
    5. Flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select all but system and kernel)
    7. Set up DDMS http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2303834 and ensure it's working ok (you can see phone's screen on PC and can blindly tap on the touchscreen with response visible on PC)
    8. Run rootkitXperiaZ1c's install.bat
    9. Restart phone (display will still be blank and you will need to use the power + volume up combo to get it to switch off)
    10. Using DDMS, get to a situation where there are no 'app not responding' messages on the screen (as they cover SU dialogs). This may mean clicking on the animated goat (hard not to with it walking round the screen :p) which brings up an app that covers them
    11. Run Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip's install.bat, selecting option 1 (supersu). Quickly, using DDMS, accept the SU notification on the phone (this can be tricky).
    12. Run Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip's install.bat, selecting option 3 (Installation on unrooted ROM).
    13. Turn phone off using the power + vol up combination.
    14. Flash D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select system only)
    15. Boot to philz recovery by turning phone on normally then continually pressing vol up after the DOUBLE vibrate
    16. Flash z1c-43-uk.system.flashable.zip then Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip immediately after.
    17. Factory reset for good measure (probably some docomo stuff on there)
    18. (Optional?) Flash D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select system only)
    19. Reboot into recovery
    20. Flash cwm_prerooted_Z1.zip then Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)flashable.zip immediately after
    21. Reboot normally. If it boot loops, try another factory reset or whatever. If that still fails, try flashing the D5503 FTF again as per above. Basically, the phone should be fully working and on non-rooted 4.3 UK at this point.
    22. Restart the phone and enter recovery mode.
    23. Flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip. (or root by some other means e.g. via the built in option in PhilZ, entirely up to you)
    24. You're done :)

That makes it look like this:

3. Boot and enable USB debugging and installation of apps from unknown sources
    4. Flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select all but system and kernel)
    5. Turn phone on (display will be blank)
    6. Run Z1C-lockeddualrecovery(...)installer.zip's install.bat, selecting option 3 (Installation on unrooted ROM).
    7. Turn phone off using the power + vol up combination.
    8. Flash D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: select system only)
    9. Restart the phone and enter recovery mode by pressing either vol-up for PhilZ or vol-down for TWRP at the double vibration and GREEN led.
    10. Flash in this order without rebooting:
      3. UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip. (or root by some other means e.g. via the built in option in PhilZ, entirely up to you)
    11. Reboot to system and you're done :)

Looks a lot easier and less intimidating this way, doesn't it? :angel: :highfive:
    Hi, Darkimmortal.

Thanks for all your job!

Please make rooting method for 4.4.

I've just received the update in PC Companion, will cook something up tomorrow if I get a chance

(Decided I can't be bothered waiting for OTA :p)
    After some thinking, I've figured out creating a mix-mash FTF will most probably not help. So a revision on my guide is in place:

5. Flash C6903_14.1.G.534_ianford10_UK Unbranded.ftf (WIPE: select none, EXCLUDE: all EXCEPT system and kernel)
    10. Restart the phone and enter recovery mode by pressing either vol-up for PhilZ or vol-down for TWRP at the double vibration and GREEN led.
    11. Flash in this order without rebooting:
      3. UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.(...).zip. (or root by some other means e.g. via the built in option in PhilZ, entirely up to you)
    12. Reboot to system and you're done :)

It seems flashing the docomo rom really does matter... I however don't know if it really is the docomo rom or the fact that you wipe everything at that step.

If anyone is willing to test installing the D5503_14.2.A.1.114_Generic UK.ftf with wiping everything and excluding nothing instead of the docomo ROM to test if that would work, please do.

I'm trying to simplify the guide and also keep the number of files needed low, keeping the download size as small as possible. If we can narrow it down to just simply wiping the device it saves a 983Mb download, which is not a small difference ;)

I can eventually create simplified FTF files not having that what is supposed to be skipped during the guide, minimizing the chance of mistakes.

It's a shame I don't have a Z1C to test it all by myself, it would probably be the easiest way, but this will have to do :rolleyes: