[Q] Snapdragon 8064 vs Amlogic S802 ?

Search This thread

EvgeniX

Oct 29, 2008
Miami
Hi,

so question is:

(Fire TV) Snapdragon 8064 + Adreno 320 VS Amlogic S802 + Mali-450MP6 (Tronsmart Vega S89)

for 1080 TV?

which is better? support more video, audio formats?

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
Hi,

so question is:

(Fire TV) Snapdragon 8064 + Adreno 320 VS Amlogic S802 + Mali-450MP6 (Tronsmart Vega S89)

for 1080 TV?

which is better? support more video, audio formats?

Going on past experience, not having used the Vega, I would say the Qualcom is the better processor. I consider the Amlogic processors great work horses. Not always the fastest but strong.

EvgeniX

Oct 29, 2008
Miami
Going on past experience, not having used the Vega, I would say the Qualcom is the better processor. I consider the Amlogic processors great work horses. Not always the fastest but strong.

Thx!

still can not decide Fire TV or Vega... I think Fire TV will get more devs supports when rooted....

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
Thx!

still can not decide Fire TV or Vega... I think Fire TV will get more devs supports when rooted....

The Vega seems a bit to spend $30 to $60 more just for 8GB more storage, but I am sure it will comes down. I was reading some stuff and even though benchmarks are not the be all end all it scores a lot lower, but that goes back to what I think about Amlogic processors. Honestly if both had been $99 I might have considered the Vega, but I have Prime so that would have tipped it.

EvgeniX

Oct 29, 2008
Miami
The Vega seems a bit to spend $30 to $60 more just for 8GB more storage, but I am sure it will comes down. I was reading some stuff and even though benchmarks are not the be all end all it scores a lot lower, but that goes back to what I think about Amlogic processors. Honestly if both had been $99 I might have considered the Vega, but I have Prime so that would have tipped it.

Vega 8gb = $105 or $114 with shipping
Vega 16gb = $120 or $128 with shipping

VS

Fire TV 8gb = $99

so not big difference... just what to get more power :cowboy:

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
Vega 8gb = $105 or $114 with shipping
Vega 16gb = $120 or $128 with shipping

VS

Fire TV 8gb = $99

so not big difference... just what to get more power :cowboy:

I actually hadn't seen an 8GB version only the 16.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Also one big plus of Vega - it has Miracast

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

koush ported Allcast to the Fire TV.

Thx!

not sure about multimedia side of it, but the snapdragon definitely has the stronger gpu:
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

Tough times. I am a Minix Neo X7 owner, and if it wasnt to freaktab.com, it would end up being a useless box. I use a KitKat rom which has really revolutionized my Minix but nevertheless, i want to extend and upgrade

BUT...i have conditions. For as why? cause ive seen various devices that amazed me in something, and totally destroyed it with something else. Let me explain myself...

Geniatech has a box that can fit a 2.5/3.5 HDD with a Sata 3 controller, and even has an eSata interface, want the drawback? It runs Android 2.3 :eek:

Ive seen devices with even analogue A/V output for old TV's (or ppl who prefer stereo over surround, like me), drawback, stupid manufacturers scared to release sources due to the competition in China not giving a damn of stealing.

not to mention rip offs, nearly all RK3188 use 802.11b/g/n chips. when you see 802.11n and no 802.11a, that means it is a draft 11n chip, DRAFT VERSION wifi chips, just amazing. Lately RK3188-T has been found, a locked CPU that does not offer more then 1.4ghz, yet they are sold as 1.6 ghz. and the best one, since we deal with unreleased sources, every time they release a new platform, the old one is totally ignored. At least phones are supported for up to 2-3 years, my Minix is not even a year old and as soon as X8 is out it will be forgotten. and we are talkin about Minix, the company that does the best community support, which is still BULL SH!T.

anyway, Fire TV is future proof as they have started on the right foot (especially by releasing sources), AMLogic just kicked RK3188 out of the game, nevertheless, RK3288 which is ringing the door bell is very powerful, featuring the best Mali GPU that seems to be used only by the RK3288 platform (something specifically done for RK, might end up causing headaches on the community) and even supports HDMI 2.0 which is a prerequisite if you are going for 4K.

This area of products is growing, and the manufacturers better listen to the feed back of the guinea pigs.

I would pay 200 Euros without hesitation if a device featured these as fundamental:

• USB 3.0
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • enough space to fit a 2.5" SSD or mSata/mPCIe so we can get rid of slow EMMCs
  • 802.11 a/n/ac - b/g/n with at least 4 Antennas

i'd even go further with details such as dual hdmi/dp, or hdmi in (rk3288 has it), or multiple Ethernet ports. You'd have an Android Computer which acts as a HTPC and as a NAS as well and even as a Wireless Router and Switch.

PS, regarding the vega, s802 does not support DTS and DD, s802-h does, Minix X8 will be released with an elite version that beholds the new s802-h.

robclark

Apr 7, 2014
I would pay 200 Euros without hesitation if a device featured these as fundamental:

• USB 3.0
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • enough space to fit a 2.5" SSD or mSata/mPCIe so we can get rid of slow EMMCs
  • 802.11 a/n/ac - b/g/n with at least 4 Antennas

well, if you are willing to make your own case, in return for having something that is completely unlocked ;)

http://www.inforcecomputing.com/product/moreinfo/ifc6410.html

(basically same chip as in firetv, but ddr3 vs lpddr2, plus sata and gigabit ethernet)

of course, you are then DIY on the software front.. shouldn't be much of a problem if you just wanted xbmc.

well, if you are willing to make your own case, in return for having something that is completely unlocked ;)

http://www.inforcecomputing.com/product/moreinfo/ifc6410.html

(basically same chip as in firetv, but ddr3 vs lpddr2, plus sata and gigabit ethernet)

of course, you are then DIY on the software front.. shouldn't be much of a problem if you just wanted xbmc.

Snapdragon 600, same chip as the one in Galaxy S4, that is powerful. Unfortunately anything that as to do with coding and electronics is above my scope of knowledge :(, it does look quite good this one. Above that, i dont use XBMC tbh and i use it as a Desktop Replacement Tool in combination with a LED TV and a Logitech k400 keyboard. Of course i dont do desktop-class processing, but it is enough for my needs to explore the internet, basically a basic computer :).

ps, Fire TV has LPDDR2?

robclark

Apr 7, 2014
Snapdragon 600, same chip as the one in Galaxy S4, that is powerful. Unfortunately anything that as to do with coding and electronics is above my scope of knowledge :(, it does look quite good this one. Above that, i dont use XBMC tbh and i use it as a Desktop Replacement Tool in combination with a LED TV and a Logitech k400 keyboard. Of course i dont do desktop-class processing, but it is enough for my needs to explore the internet, basically a basic computer :).

well, fedora runs quite nicely on it: https://github.com/freedreno/freedreno/wiki/Fedora ;)

(as would, I imagine, ubuntu/debian/gentoo/etc..)

ps, Fire TV has LPDDR2?

yeah, it has cell phone type low-power ddr stacked on top of the snapdragon 600, vs external DDR3 chips (which I assumed would be cheaper and sufficient since there isn't really a constraint on pcb size..)

but in the end, I guess the different memory won't make so much difference. The firetv does have larger emmc (iirc, ifc6410 was only 4G or 2G?), but that never bothered me as I just use a ssd harddrive anyways.

gmicalzoma

Jan 15, 2013
Why FTV and Not a 802 device

I been using different boxes like the Matricon and RK3188 based ones. Rockchip suck at video but Amlogic excel at video playback. The problem is buggy firmware and that my friends is what makes or breaks a device. I was looking into an S802 but the only worthy one seems to be the upcoming Minix 8 with S802-H. One thing I like about the Roku and FTV is how well they behave and I don't miss the buggy Chinese devices' firmware.

I own a FTV (living room), a Roku and a Chromecast (bedroom, Roku for almost everything and the Chromecast to stream XBMC from android using Moliplayer and Y2Cast free app). Even though Roku have a dual core, it kicks any other box including the FTV at handling video and working with Plex. If there was XBMC for Roku I would considered it the perfect box.

The FTV handles video very well but the user interface is not as smooth as the Roku. Plex sucks on the FTV but XBMC works great (I'm on 13.1 RC-1). Instead of using Plex on FTV I now access my WD My Cloud storage using XBMC via SMB and it works like a charm.

So in short, I will keep my FTV as I'm very pleased with it specially because of XBMC, except if in the future there is an XBMC channel for Roku (doubt it) then I will trade my FTV for another Roku.