Root Achieved

Search This thread

dvation191

Jul 16, 2010
I'd love to try it but I'm not able to get the ADBDriver_v3_Google.zip attachment you supposedly need to do it.

benlane

Aug 1, 2004
Wow - this works!!!

Got Wifi Tether working like a champ.

Cannot make the following work. Do we need to make it work?

1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Last edited:

dvation191

Jul 16, 2010
Wow - this works!!!

Got Wifi Tether working like a champ.

Do we need to do the following:1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Are you sure Verizon isn't going to charge for WiFi tethering just because it's rooted?

HostileJava

Sep 5, 2007
Anyone figure out how to remove the amazon mp3 app? I deleted it from the system/app folder but it's still showing up, perhaps what I deleted was just an update?

dwd3885

May 20, 2010
umm, why the hell would you want to get rid of su? its not illegal, these aren't iphones. I cant wait to get home tonight to root mine, wireless tether here i come, screw you vz, i'm not paying extra :p

if you have an issue with the phone and need to return, can you return it being rooted?

navychief52

Aug 19, 2007
How did you remove blockbuster titanium says it can't remove it?

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

I forgot the name, but it is obvious in the ls listing, so replace <blockbuster> with the actual name from the ls command

adb shell
su
cd /system/app
ls <find the blockbuster.apk >
rm -r <blockbuster>.apk

Then I went into menu->settings->Applications->Manage Applications
Selected the blockbuster app, and deleted it.

rdr0b11

Jul 10, 2010
Los Angeles
umm, why the hell would you want to get rid of su? its not illegal, these aren't iphones. I cant wait to get home tonight to root mine, wireless tether here i come, screw you vz, i'm not paying extra :p

Actually, rooting voids your Verizon Service Contract as well as your Motorola warranty (you're "modifying" the device), technically speaking.

If you're on Verizon month-to-month, I would guess you're also violating the terms of service for that as well (though I'm not certain on this one).

Of course, I assume there's no reasonable way for them to actually tell if your device is rooted (remotely), and if you unroot and factory reset, no way for them to tell it ever was rooted in the first place.

I will say if anyone would try to make sure they're getting their tethering cash, though, it's Verizon. I expect the Droid X official Froyo update will address the exploit Birdman's root uses.

Though hopefully it will have its own fun-filled vulnerabilities to exploit.