[Concept][08/01] Android 4.0 Concept User Interface Improvements

Search This thread

propyls

Apr 13, 2011
Hide soft buttons when running screen savers like alarm clocks to avoid burn in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rjax

May 11, 2010
Improving the multitasking button by allowing nesting could be pretty sweet. For instance, if you have a bunch of gtalk conversations going on, a bunch of browser tabs open, etc. it would be nice to have the option (maybe by tapping a specific part of the card that comes up when pressing the multitasking button) for all the different open conversations or tabs to come up in a card view of their own to make it easier to go right to the one the user wants to go to.

And while I'm thinking of multitasking, I'd like to see one behavior changed. I start on the home screen, use multitasking to switch to App A, then use multitasking to switch to App B, then hit the back button. I'd expect to see App A show up again after hitting the back button, but instead I go straight to the home screen.

By a similar token, I'd like the option to rotate the homescreen without having to dock it. Basically, I should be able to use every preinstalled app in either landscape or portrait, just like a tablet. 90% of the OS does this, which is why it's jarring when you come across the 10% that's fixed.

Give this a try: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1412752 -- even though it's not what the dev intends, at least on my G-Nex if use Rotation Locker to set rotation to auto-rotate, everything auto-rotates.

I came to Android from webOS after HP shot themselves in the foot several times and one of the things I miss most is the gesture bar you had at the bottom of the screen. With the advent of the soft button area in ICS I see a real option to enable the area to work in a similar fashion.

I've never even used WebOS and I was thinking similar thoughts. For instance, in the browser it would be nice to switch between tabs by swiping the soft key area left or right.

Really, I think there's just so much that could be done with the soft key area -- a reason for me keeping the G-Nex over getting something like the Rezound. I saw another suggestion on the thread to make the soft key area a scrollable dock of sorts, and I think there's a lot of potential there -- I think like some have mentioned it could take over the lion's share of the notification bar functions, which would be nice since it's generally easier to reach the bottom than the top for me at least. An app could be capable of defining its own soft-key set (i.e. start up the browser, and bookmark and refresh soft keys pop up), and users could pin shortcuts to key programs in the soft key dock.

Last edited:

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Improving the multitasking button by allowing nesting could be pretty sweet. For instance, if you have a bunch of gtalk conversations going on, a bunch of browser tabs open, etc. it would be nice to have the option (maybe by tapping a specific part of the card that comes up when pressing the multitasking button) for all the different open conversations or tabs to come up in a card view of their own to make it easier to go right to the one the user wants to go to.

That's already on my list ;-)

And while I'm thinking of multitasking, I'd like to see one behavior changed. I start on the home screen, use multitasking to switch to App A, then use multitasking to switch to App B, then hit the back button. I'd expect to see App A show up again after hitting the back button, but instead I go straight to the home screen.

Also on the list

devil snake

Jan 30, 2010
- I'd love to have swiping away a text or email mark it as read. And while we're on notifications I don't get why contact pics don't display in the drop-down bar for texts, only for emails.

- Swiping away a recent app actually kills it

- Option to easily switch between the phone & people apps

- Option to mute shutter sound right in camera menu

- Notification bar toggles like in CyanogenMod or AOKP

RED is prohibited by laws of most countries!
================

Just need quick toggles in notifications bar and a feature that is found in TouchWiz 4 (and CyanogenMod) where you slide your finger across the Notification bar horizontally to control brightness (Better than toggles as when you're under the sun and visibility is ZERO, you don't have to be accurate to adjust brightness by Notification bar sliding as it's always there.. unlike toggles where you have to see which toggle is which)

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
I don't have that problem. I know where my toggles are. Hasn't been a problem.

My grandma beat me down and took my nexus. Sent from a jitterbug with beats by dre.

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
RED is prohibited by laws of most countries!
================

Just need quick toggles in notifications bar and a feature that is found in TouchWiz 4 (and CyanogenMod) where you slide your finger across the Notification bar horizontally to control brightness (Better than toggles as when you're under the sun and visibility is ZERO, you don't have to be accurate to adjust brightness by Notification bar sliding as it's always there.. unlike toggles where you have to see which toggle is which)

What is RED?

David Horn

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
Manchester
I'd like to be able to set up folders in the app drawer - or at the very least specify a list of apps to hide from the drawer. You know, when developers of widgets or live wallpapers insist on creating a shortcut in the app drawer; or simply because I don't want to have to navigate past Adobe Flash Settings every time I open the drawer.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
I'd like to be able to set up folders in the app drawer - or at the very least specify a list of apps to hide from the drawer. You know, when developers of widgets or live wallpapers insist on creating a shortcut in the app drawer; or simply because I don't want to have to navigate past Adobe Flash Settings every time I open the drawer.

Just throwing this out there. You know you can make folders with the home screen icons? If you already know, disregard. I just figured it out earlier this week. Still getting used to my new setup, but it is awesome now. Rarely have to go into app drawer now.

My grandma beat me down and took my nexus. Sent from a jitterbug with beats by dre.

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Just throwing this out there. You know you can make folders with the home screen icons? If you already know, disregard. I just figured it out earlier this week. Still getting used to my new setup, but it is awesome now. Rarely have to go into app drawer now.

I think they mean in the app drawer have the ability to create folder, or just hide icons.

Sms notification concept video is done. Just need to tweak some timings and find some suitable music then it can be uploaded

I'll keep announcing where im up to on here, twitter (sig) and on my Facebook page (http://goo.gl/kvBFm)

Last edited:

tsunami1609

Sep 5, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Evostance I really like your concept and it was a well made video, but here's a couple things to think about with your designs.

1. The problem is having a larger notification when it pops up is that it covers more of the screen, and in ICS more of the navigation buttons (menu sometimes and the back icon) are at the top of the screen. It's not hard to imagine it getting annoying as you're in an app (say browser) trying to get to settings and instead you end up reply to a notification.

2. Is there a size limit to the bigger notification. In the notif pulldown that's fine, but it wouldn't work in the popup, because like above, that just means even more of the screen is being covered.

Honestly, I think you should get rid of the popup altogether. It's stylish, there's no denying that, but it can become very intrusive, especially in ICS. In addition, when receiving a text right now, it already shows the name of the sender and the message text without being intrusive, since it only expands the length of the notif bar. The performance can still remain though. Here's what I'd suggest:

All of your functions, such as quick reply, swipe left to dismiss and right to mark as read are great, just put them in the notification pulldown, not in a popup. So the bar still looks the same when up, but when you pull it down, then you see the contact picture and the regular message (as it is now). THEN, you could enable a swipe down to expand feature (simple enough gesture, and makes sense (to me) as you're expanding the notification window with your finger). This would give you the full message, as well as a quick reply button. Press that button and you get the stylish quick reply that you displayed. I'd suggest making a reply button though, because we don't want to remove any function. Tapping on the notification would still bring you to the messaging app, as it should.

Through all of that, the average Android user would still use it the same way. They'd get a notification, pulldown the bar, tap it and respond in the messaging app. But for the people who are used to changes/improvements (us) then we'd be able to use these quick gestures to respond faster and even cleaner.

Man I really need to find a way to streamline my messages

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I also think tapping the settings icon in the notification bar should cause a toggles pulldown like this: http://attachments.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=814369&d=1323730485

instead of going into the settings app. This way they're not always there and taking up a chunk of the screen. Honeycomb did it (kind of, though tapping the clock). Tapping the settings icon again would slide the quick toggles settings back up.

Aesthetics wise, I say slide meaning I want it to perform in a similar manner to the iphone's (I know, i said it) folders. You know, how tapping a folder will push down the rest of the icons below it like this: http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1826/img0027o.png

this time it'd just be pushing the rest of the notifications down.

Or not. You can ignore the style in which it works (if you truly hate any mention of the iphone and/or its style), just include the functions.

Reactions: zombieflanders

hurricurry

Jun 29, 2010
I really like the idea but it might be to intrusive.
here some ideas i think might be usefull.
Scrolling messages or complete messages in the notification bar. And notifications with profile pics.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
I was contemplating the pushing down of content.

I also had 1 more concept and another piece of animation that I forgot to add. One was quick actions for the contacts and the other was for notifications when in apps. The bigger notifications don't appear when in applications, there's a different type.

I'll upload when I get time :)

tsunami1609

Sep 5, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I was contemplating the pushing down of content.

I also had 1 more concept and another piece of animation that I forgot to add. One was quick actions for the contacts and the other was for notifications when in apps. The bigger notifications don't appear when in applications, there's a different type.

Yeah, I agree then that bigger notifications would be great on the homescreen, and even on the lockscreen (especially in the lockscreen). That seems like a nice feature, but would seem complicated for someone here to create/mod. The notification bar would have to determine what's currently running, and then change based on it; I'm just concerned with the feasibility. I really want to see these mods come true.

Royal2000H

Apr 12, 2010
Great concept video!
I like the reply to text feature. I can't recall how many times I'm in the middle of browsing or a game, and I get a text and just want to quickly reply without leaving the app.

I think as people said, to be less intrusive, make it show in the notification bar, then you can pull down the bar and click/swipe to quick respond. For this, I would like the notification bar to show even in games and such. Lots of games hide the notification bar, and I think the OS should be able to make notification bar visible over the game during a notification.

iPhone used to have pop up notifications, and Android was praised for the bar and being less intrusive. Therefore Apple completely copied the notification bar from Android in iOS 4.
So great quick reply options and mark read etc, but better if you had to pull down notifications first.

Krijs

Jan 6, 2012
Yeah, I agree then that bigger notifications would be great on the homescreen, and even on the lockscreen (especially in the lockscreen). That seems like a nice feature, but would seem complicated for someone here to create/mod. The notification bar would have to determine what's currently running, and then change based on it; I'm just concerned with the feasibility. I really want to see these mods come true.

I think a certain number of features should remain uniform throughout the OS. If you start diversifying based on variables, you are deliberately creating an inconsistency, which in terms of an interface is probably not a very good idea.

A way to circumvent this, as mentioned previously, is to allow this quick reply functionality in the notification dropdown. Only problem then is that if a message is too long to read in the notification, you wouldn't want to quick reply. You could get around this by adding a long-press feature that takes you to the SMS app so you can read the full message I guess.

Great concept though, I'd definitely like something like that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    noti.jpg

I'll be designing various UI concept improvements for Android and I'll keep them uploaded here.

If you have any ideas then please, let me know

8th January - Notification Concept Improvements Part 1

My first concept interface is done and ready for viewing - as well as feedback and comments.

This concept goes over some of my notification concepts which I feel would make Android a little more functional and fluid. Let me know what you think.

This user interface concept improvement video covers 3 simply tweaks, which I feel improve the functionality of Android.

1) Bigger Notifications
    These bigger notifications show the contact picture,and are large enough so the message can be read. They appear over the top of the default notification bar to save space.
    Clicking on the notification takes you to the application for which the notification is for. In this case, its the Messaging App

2) Quick Reply
    Something I feel that has been missing from Android for some time. When the message arrive, clicking on the message itself will open quick reply.
    Quick Reply extends the notification area so you can reply to the message right from the notification area, without leaving the application you are currently in.

3) Swipe to Close/Mark
    Notifications have already easy to close in Android by either pressing the 'X' or in Android 4.0, by swiping the notification away.
    However, there is no way to mark a message or email as read if you close it from the notification area. This concept means that you can do this. Simply wipe the notification to the left to close it, or swipe it to the right to mark it as read and close it.

There were 2 other videos that didn't make it into the final video - the only reason for this is that they are longer and the size of the video came to about 600mb for a HD one. Hence why they were left out of this video.

You can find more information about these at this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21179299&postcount=62

All feedback and comments are welcome. Feel free to message me on any of the sites above.

These are just concepts, unfortunately I dont have the coding skills required to make this a reality. However if I can get ideas and make concepts up, a dev from the forums, the cyanogen mode team or perhaps Google themselves if we're lucky will see this and help make them become a reality.

If you would like to incorporate these ideas into a ROM, application etc, then please contact me first

Find me on the following websites:
    Twitter
    Google+
    Facebook
    Thanks for all the great feedback! It seems a lot of people are commenting about how the notifications are slightly too big. Do not fear!

Like I mentioned a few posts back, there were 2 other videos that didn't make it into the final video - the only reason for this is that they are longer and the size of the video came to about 600mb for a HD one. Hence why they were left out of this video :)

The 2 notification concepts will go into the next video, but for reference they are:

1) Fullscreen App Notifications
    Like many of you have said, the larger ones are a bit too intrusive for when you're in an application. This concept video demonstrated how the notification would function in a fullscreen application or in any other application.

Briefly, the notification would simply appear as they do now, however in a fullscreen application. The Android task bar would appear with the message scrolling in that. You can then pulldown the task bar to either reply, mark as read, or quick action

2) Quick Actions
    A nice concept I like. When you get a notification, click on the contact photo and it will hide the notification text, and instead show that contacts contact methods. That way you can quickly call, email or for everyone who wouldn't want to quick reply - open the messages application

Of course, all of this could be turned on/off in the settings. I wasn't planning on visualising this though. I just happened to miss it off the descriptive text ;)

What is going to happen with these concepts mate, are you going to develop them? :)

Unfortunately I dont have the coding skills. If I did, I would. You don't know how many times since making this concept video i've been swiping to the left, expecting it to mark the item as read and click on the item to open a quick reply.
    Hopefully, someone with the experience like one of our devs or the Cyanogen Mod team might be able to help us out
    - I'd love to have swiping away a text or email mark it as read. And while we're on notifications I don't get why contact pics don't display in the drop-down bar for texts, only for emails.

Swiping away apps actually does kill them, you can see the process dying in the logs when removing from recent app list
    I came to Android from webOS after HP shot themselves in the foot several times and one of the things I miss most is the gesture bar you had at the bottom of the screen. With the advent of the soft button area in ICS I see a real option to enable the area to work in a similar fashion.

For those that are unfamiliar with it it's basically an area at the bottom of the screen blocked off from apps that registers simple finger gestures. This made the basics of actually using a device a breeze and pleasure i.e. no looking for a particular button / tapping the wrong button when you weren't looking and the gestures were consistent no matter what app was running.

The gestures were:
    • A single swipe up would show you your running apps.
    • Swiping 2 fingers up would show you the launcher (app drawer).
    • A leftward swipe would go back.
    • A full swipe across the entire area going either right or left would take you to the next or previous running app.

Besides the wireless charging the gesture area was one of the webOS killer features you very quickly learned to take for-granted. So yeah, I'd like the soft button area to handle gestures in case you haven't guessed already ;)

Ok ill see what I can mock up. I've done a basic notification text, just need to add another feature before i finalise it