[ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toro port)

Search This thread

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Any chance you can do this for the Nexus 7,grouper?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

The Nexus 7 should have its own build when they release the tablet version. I dont think thats too far from now.

EDIT: Actually, Ubuntu might already have it available for the Nexus 7. According to some news sites, it should have been available the same time as the phone OS.

Actually, I think installing on the N7 is the same method as the phones.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Last edited:

Alpha_wolf

Dec 13, 2012
Marina
Mai bad. I mean, data is enabled in all ways that I can enable it. As in once the GSM version supports data, this one will too if it makes you feel any better.

lol im picking on you but i themed my phone to look like the ubuntu phone os. so now that i saw it and felt it for myself i can theme it even better lol

saintlikesniper

Nov 11, 2010
Sorry I dont follow but does this rom have calls and text or not yet?

geekcentercreations

Aug 1, 2012
West Warwick, Rhode Island
Added an exparimental zip. It SHOULD enable all radios fully. I haven't tested yet, but the same trick worked to bring 4.2.2 to our phone with radios, so I don't see why that won't work. Ubuntu is pretty andrloid compatible.

EDIT: No data as it won't have data on the GSM version. That's not because I messed up, it's because Ubuntu doesn't support it yet.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes

Does this mean no phone calls or texts either?

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sorry I dont follow but does this rom have calls and text or not yet?

It SHOULD with that test zip. I haven't verified, though I put in the work that should be needed. It's not for "normal people" it's for developers. It's by no means ready to be used as a phone at all at this point (UbuntuOS on a phone as a whole, not just this port). If you want to try it out, it is limited, but it's enough for developers to get apps ready for the upcoming full release which I'll re-port back to our devices.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Phone and SMS work for the GSM Nexus. We ain't got nuthin!

EDIT: What test zip?

EDIT: Oh that test zip... Givin er a whirl.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

I tried the toro test2 zip, it made things worse unfortunately :/

Calls and SMS don't work, at least outgoing, the buttons to call and send are like pushed in... Same with camera. It took about a minute for the phone to realize it was plugged in, and sound settings is showing nothing. Still have WiFi though!

Thanks for the effort, if you sorta teach me what you're doing and how you're tweaking, I'll help, I want to get into this stuff, just gone done with a hackintosh adventure, good stuff lol.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Calls and SMS don't work, at least outgoing, the buttons to call and send are like pushed in... Same with camera. It took about a minute for the phone to realize it was plugged in, and sound settings is showing nothing. Still have WiFi though!

Thanks for the effort, if you sorta teach me what you're doing and how you're tweaking, I'll help, I want to get into this stuff, just gone done with a hackintosh adventure, good stuff lol.

When you re-flashed, did you flash both the test zip and the "phablet" zip again or just the test zip?

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
No Go

Flashed updated zip on GNex, No go. I got the phoen booted up.
But nothing after that. Notification bar won't pull down. I don't see anything on home screen
except a Circle with text 14 new tweets.
Oh well..

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Phone and SMS work for the GSM Nexus. We ain't got nuthin!

EDIT: What test zip?

EDIT: Oh that test zip... Givin er a whirl.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

That's unfortunate. Well, my method was to modify the /system/build.prop to add in the lines that we needed, and then to merge these files in http://ompldr.org/vaGpueQ/files4.2.2.zip

It worked for 4.2.2 to the toro, not sure why that didn't work. There are screenshots in there of where the files should go, minus the builh.prop tweaks. I used this in order to open and re-zip everything http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

ender89

Mar 31, 2010
any hope at a dual boot?

I haven't spent much time doing the whole dual boot thing (never seemed to have a reason before now). Anyone know how feasible it would be? especially since this is a *preview* build with little working, it would be helpful.

geekcentercreations

Aug 1, 2012
West Warwick, Rhode Island
That's unfortunate. Well, my method was to modify the /system/build.prop to add in the lines that we needed, and then to merge these files in http://ompldr.org/vaGpueQ/files4.2.2.zip

It worked for 4.2.2 to the toro, not sure why that didn't work. There are screenshots in there of where the files should go, minus the builh.prop tweaks. I used this in order to open and re-zip everything http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

I also have the pushed in buttons on the dailer and conversation screen.

Do we know if the offical GSM preview builds have working calling and texting?

We should try other ways to port in this functionality. I may be of some help.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
As I said, GSM Nexus users are supposed to have working calling and SMS, though I'm not 100% sure if they're actually getting that.

I read a thread this morning where people were complaining that calling and SMS didn't work, someone else said the leak didn't have a radio, but that the official Preview release would...

Is the official release preview even out yet?

EDIT: I did not reflash the Phablet.zip, but I'll give it a shot.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

OP you have the right idea, as you know Ubuntu uses Android drivers and such, so what worked for 4.2.2 should work for Ubuntu... But yes, we should know more tomorrow!

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Whoever said their notification bar wouldn't pull down, I'm not sure if it's supposed to in the "home screen", I can pull it down in an app or on those categorized tabs (Music, Movies, etc.).

DroidWolf

Oct 17, 2010
Just DL and flashed with CWMR. Thanks for the port, I was disapointed when I went to Ubuntu's page and saw that TORO wasn't supported.
Preview works just like they said it would!
Great job!

Can't wait for the official release now!

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So have people successfully gone back to android with no problems? I guess the main problem we should be worried about is having LTE working after flashing something that doesn't have it. There's probably nothing to worry about but I thought I'd ask.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
LTE? I'd settle for 1X right now!

Yeah going back to Android is no problem, you just have to use Fastboot to flash the boot, userdata, and system .imgs then go into Recovery (CWM or whatever) and flash or restore the ROM of your choice!

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
LTE? I'd settle for 1X right now!

Yeah going back to Android is no problem, you just have to use Fastboot to flash the boot, userdata, and system .imgs then go into Recovery (CWM or whatever) and flash or restore the ROM of your choice!

Oh. You can't just boot into recovery and restore a backup? I read people were doing that with no issues in the other thread.

gumnaam.sur

Jan 2, 2012
No go.

As I said, GSM Nexus users are supposed to have working calling and SMS, though I'm not 100% sure if they're actually getting that.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Whoever said their notification bar wouldn't pull down, I'm not sure if it's supposed to in the "home screen", I can pull it down in an app or on those categorized tabs (Music, Movies, etc.).

My problem is not just the notification pull down. Nothing works, or may be I don't know how to.
i.e. how do I access APPs ? All I get is a circle with text 14 new tweets. Btw this is with the experimental zip which is supposed to enable data/call.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Props goes to eng.stk for how to unofficially flash the GSM images. I have modified his quote to include this devices links, and Im' sorry for not asking to quote him. The only credit I take is for modifying one line to make it flash to our devices. The rest goes to the UbuntuOS team and eng.stk
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38285911#post38285911
    For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Grab toro_ubuntu.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
    4. Flash toro_ubuntu.zip
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
    6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
    7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
    If you are paranoid, just copy your stuff from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.

Quote modified to include CORRECT links for our build. I left the rest in tact.

EDIT: Exparimental (untested) build that may enable calls and data. Same process as converting android from GSM to LTE, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any takers? (replaces the toro zip above)
    http://ompldr.org/vaGptZw/toro_ubuntu_data_try2.zip
    EDIT: Data isn't even supported on the GSM, so unlikely to have any data, but calls should work.
    EDIT2: Test appears broken, but I'll leave it here for others to look into on why it doesn't work. It should have been merged in correctly, not sure why it's not working.

The only thing I did was modify the line so that the zip would be willing to flash to the toro. It does not have CMDA/LTE connection, but it does flash and work on WIFI just fine. With it's limited uses ATM, I believe that getting working radios would be useless. Try it and see what I mean. Do not wipe system, or it will not boot.

IMG_20130221_131155.jpg

Sprint thread is here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38303836
    Questions?
    Really?....stuck with android...
    ^Unfortunately you're right. The CDMA Nexus devices (VZW and Sprint) are the black sheep of the Nexus family, and will never see official support for projects like this.

I see a few people in the Toroplus thread, claiming that ril and build.prop edits could get data to work, but I think that's delusional at best... If it were really that simple, we'd already have a fully functional build, so there's clearly something else that needs to be explored. I may grab the source code, just to look through it, while I wait for 4.4 to drop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Serious, if you are not willing to research more, than you probably should not flash anything, and your language is offensive and unacceptable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Seriously little boy?? I've been apart of this forum for 5 years, flashed thousands of ROMs, Mod's, Kernels, helped others with guidance, problems, suggestions, etc...you've been on here less than a year; contributed absolutely nothing beneficial to help others, and have the nerve to comment on my post with that ridiculous statement? And what language did I use that was so offensive?? Did I drop the "F" bomb somewhere and just don't see it??

Maybe you should just go back to the kiddie forums on clubpenguin and leave the grown-up forums to us.

This conversation is over.
    Added an exparimental zip. It SHOULD enable all radios fully. I haven't tested yet, but the same trick worked to bring 4.2.2 to our phone with radios, so I don't see why that won't work. Ubuntu is pretty andrloid compatible.

EDIT: No data as it won't have data on the GSM version. That's not because I messed up, it's because Ubuntu doesn't support it yet.