Launchers for the HDX 7

Search This thread
Aug 2, 2014
Ok, so I'm trying to find a decent launcher for the HDX. I'm going to chronicle my struggle with this great launcher deficit. I do realize there is a "Working Launcher Thread", but it's rather strewn about and disorganized. I would like to make my first contribution to this forum a comprehensive Launcher list, with a quick n' dirty prognosis of each item.

Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Stock ROM Version 13.3.2.4
Rooted with Towelroot
OTA Updates Disabled

I was just going to flash a new ROM, but I was not able to boot into any ROM Manager. If anyone could point me in the direction of a good ROM and ROM Manager that works with the KFHDX7, I'd be highly appreciative. Now, I digress.

Key:
Glitchy and/or Sucky
Mediocre
Awesomesauce

Tested the following launchers:
  • Otter(aka stock "Home"): Obviously, this one sucks the proverbial balls. No customizability, no widgets. My whole motivation for rooting.
  • Next Launcher 3D 3.10: Looked pretty, but unfortunately too glitchy.
  • GO Launcher HD: Stable thus far. Somewhat busy. GO Widgets work, if you have Google Play.
  • KitKat Launcher 1.14: Stable, minimalist design. Surprisingly, did use slightly more RAM than relatively cluttered GO Launcher(without Widgets activated)
  • Holo Launcher HD 2.0.4: Worked great until I rebooted. Sent my device into epileptic crisis.
  • Galaxy/Touchwiz Beta v5: Always in landscape mode, would not react to moving device to portrait mode.
  • GEL/Google Now: Widget support! However, I did need the Xposed Framework and GEL Settings app to make things work properly.

Unfortunately, NONE of the launchers had native widget support. They would simply crash when trying to add a launcher to the homescreen. I'm guessing this has something to do with the KFHDX OS itself. The exception to this was GO Launcher, which had working GO Widgets. To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed by the GO Widgets.

Also, another common theme was issues with the screen orientation.Several launchers had problems with device orientation. When in landscape mode with Next, you could not move icons around. The screen would invert, and you would 'drop' the icon. When in portrait mode, the persistent launcher frame with the Home/Back/Apps/Search button would cause the Next launcher bar to overlap some of the icons on the screen, thereby rendering them inaccessible. The same thing happened with KitKat as far as being unable to move icons around when in landscape mode. However, there was no issue with overlapping elements, so this was less of a deal-breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: alireza21

dragonsoul84

Jan 21, 2012
Oroville
I installed KK Launcher from the Play Store. Once downloaded you can all install the KK Locker which will replace your Amazon lockscreen with KitKat style one. In the settings of KK Locker choose the disable default lockscreen option and it will take you to the amazon lockscreen options, then back out of it. Reboot device. The amazon lockscreen will appear for a few seconds, then disappear. From then on, the KK Locker screen always appears, no double lockscreen. If you download Android L Wallpapers by AKWS, you can use it to change wallpapers. You can also change the keyboard by installing keyboard of your choice and then finding it under keyboard languages. I installed Android L keyboard from the Play Store and found it under languages as "English (United States)" and checked it. There is another option with same name already checked and that was the Amazon Keyboard, which I unchecked. Then selected the checked keyboard under default and voila. Now my Fire HDX looks like an AOSP Android L (except when entering settings).

BTW - If you go to the app drawer within the launch and select manage apps, it will open the Amazon app manager, but you will lose your onscreen buttons at the bottom of the screen. I did this while typing this post ... still trying to get them back:( Maybe I can figure out how to load the AOSP buttons in their place:fingers-crossed::p

KK Launcher : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kk.launcher&hl=en

KK Locker : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kk.locker&hl=en

Android L Wallpapers : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=alexanderkazmin.androidlwallpapers&hl=en

Android L Keyboard : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.e.android.softkeyboard&hl=en

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
First a preamble....

I am thinking this might be better placed in the themes and apps section, but I am not sure.

If you have read all of the posts about bricking, you would know that flashing a replacement Rom is both dangerous and bound to fail because we do not have an unlocked boot loader yet.

Be careful with implementation, but if you want to experiment with alternate roms, head over to the developer section, read everything about Dagestan for your particular device, and then have a it. Be sure the first thing you do is back up your current Rom. Then make a new slot, and only make changes on new slots.

Okay with that our of the way...
As others have stated, I use Nova. It is quite nice.
For those of you who have issues with typical Android things like wallpapers and widgets, Amazon left out some apps that run those services. Some launchers do not need those services to implement those things. Most do.
You can install those services safely (without locking up your device) by using Kindle Free. It is an app that is in the play store. I just used the free one.

I was happy to discover that even Amazon Native apps come with widgets that can be used once the fix is applied.

I am on the OEM Rom, rooted.

Good luck. Sorry if this comes across as pejorative, but a lot of people are bricking their devices and I would hate for that
T to happen to anyone else.

Reactions: iamhardware

rootnooby

Apr 21, 2014
LG G8
Apex works well for me. Love that you can resize widgets. Wallpapers work well. That being said, there is the occasional glitch that is fixed with a reboot.

gbenrus25

May 8, 2007
Apex works well for me. Love that you can resize widgets. Wallpapers work well. That being said, there is the occasional glitch that is fixed with a reboot.
Amazon Kindle doesn't open when I use Apex. Haven't tried other launchers but expect the same thing to occur. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so I'm trying to find a decent launcher for the HDX. I'm going to chronicle my struggle with this great launcher deficit. I do realize there is a "Working Launcher Thread", but it's rather strewn about and disorganized. I would like to make my first contribution to this forum a comprehensive Launcher list, with a quick n' dirty prognosis of each item.

Kindle Fire HDX 7"
    Stock ROM Version 13.3.2.4
    Rooted with Towelroot
    OTA Updates Disabled

I was just going to flash a new ROM, but I was not able to boot into any ROM Manager. If anyone could point me in the direction of a good ROM and ROM Manager that works with the KFHDX7, I'd be highly appreciative. Now, I digress.

Key:
    Glitchy and/or Sucky
    Mediocre
    Awesomesauce

Tested the following launchers:
    • Otter(aka stock "Home"): Obviously, this one sucks the proverbial balls. No customizability, no widgets. My whole motivation for rooting.
    • Next Launcher 3D 3.10: Looked pretty, but unfortunately too glitchy.
    • GO Launcher HD: Stable thus far. Somewhat busy. GO Widgets work, if you have Google Play.
    • KitKat Launcher 1.14: Stable, minimalist design. Surprisingly, did use slightly more RAM than relatively cluttered GO Launcher(without Widgets activated)
    • Holo Launcher HD 2.0.4: Worked great until I rebooted. Sent my device into epileptic crisis.
    • Galaxy/Touchwiz Beta v5: Always in landscape mode, would not react to moving device to portrait mode.
    • GEL/Google Now: Widget support! However, I did need the Xposed Framework and GEL Settings app to make things work properly.

Unfortunately, NONE of the launchers had native widget support. They would simply crash when trying to add a launcher to the homescreen. I'm guessing this has something to do with the KFHDX OS itself. The exception to this was GO Launcher, which had working GO Widgets. To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed by the GO Widgets.

Also, another common theme was issues with the screen orientation.Several launchers had problems with device orientation. When in landscape mode with Next, you could not move icons around. The screen would invert, and you would 'drop' the icon. When in portrait mode, the persistent launcher frame with the Home/Back/Apps/Search button would cause the Next launcher bar to overlap some of the icons on the screen, thereby rendering them inaccessible. The same thing happened with KitKat as far as being unable to move icons around when in landscape mode. However, there was no issue with overlapping elements, so this was less of a deal-breaker.
    First a preamble....

I am thinking this might be better placed in the themes and apps section, but I am not sure.

If you have read all of the posts about bricking, you would know that flashing a replacement Rom is both dangerous and bound to fail because we do not have an unlocked boot loader yet.

Be careful with implementation, but if you want to experiment with alternate roms, head over to the developer section, read everything about Dagestan for your particular device, and then have a it. Be sure the first thing you do is back up your current Rom. Then make a new slot, and only make changes on new slots.

Okay with that our of the way...
    As others have stated, I use Nova. It is quite nice.
    For those of you who have issues with typical Android things like wallpapers and widgets, Amazon left out some apps that run those services. Some launchers do not need those services to implement those things. Most do.
    You can install those services safely (without locking up your device) by using Kindle Free. It is an app that is in the play store. I just used the free one.

I was happy to discover that even Amazon Native apps come with widgets that can be used once the fix is applied.

I am on the OEM Rom, rooted.

Good luck. Sorry if this comes across as pejorative, but a lot of people are bricking their devices and I would hate for that
    T to happen to anyone else.